• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well the weather is making it easy to decide whether to go mountain biking or lift today

It's 117 fml.

Guess I'll start chest day early this week.

Gonna see if I can still bench 415 today. Haven't tried it in a couple months but I still bench 365 weekly with no spotter.

Recent pic since I haven't posted here in so long. Need to find more motivation. I have still been lifting but with injuries and other shit it hasn't been daily until last week.

Did you dig out that canyon behind you with your bare hands?
Looking great!

blackflag

Didn't know there was another mountain biker in here. :)

...and yeah, god damn it's hard to ride when you're melting. Forget about getting up the harder hills.

For serious, I tried at 102 the other day and I didn't think I could make it. I actually had to stop a bunch and almost threw up. Probably need to chill until October except for cross country night rides. AZ too hot

fep

Hi FitGAF, don't think I've posted in the new OT yet, but I'm about to add creatine to my daily supplements of: a half or whole multi vitamin, some vitamin D, fish oil (semi-regularly), and protein powder (for ease of use).

Gateway drug? In a few months will I be ordering all sorts of weird powders etc?

blackflag

Hi FitGAF, don't think I've posted in the new OT yet, but I'm about to add creatine to my daily supplements of: a half or whole multi vitamin, some vitamin D, fish oil (semi-regularly), and protein powder (for ease of use).

Gateway drug? In a few months will I be ordering all sorts of weird powders etc?

You'll be snorting meth as a preworkout by next week.

Faiz

I did 1000-calorie defecit for most of the week. I did not find that easy! Not sure how some of you guys do it.

Also took an honest pic not flexing, no pump. I feel like always posting post-workout, flexing shots makes me feel like shit when I see myself standing relaxed in a mirror. I also always wonder what people on IG might look like relaxed.

That filthy mirror. You disgust me.

what I tell myself to make myself feel better because my abs will never look as great as yours, honest or flex, lol

First time I deadlifted 300, I took a seat on a nearby bench for about 10 minutes. I pictured myself ending up diving into the dumbbell rack like that tosh.0 video.

oh man, almost exactly the same. First time at 300, started getting lightheaded, put it down after locking out, and immediately went down to one knee, and my vision absolutely started to go out. Had to sit for a good 10-15 minutes. Scared the hell out of me.

Faiz

How do you guys squeeze in going to the gym when working??? I can't find the time.... :(

My morning:
Wake up at 5 am, make coffee
Go downstairs and Start warming up by 5:20
Lifting by 5:40
Finish at 6:40, shower
Leave the house at 7
Arrive to work at 8.

Edit: that's Tuesday/Thursday. MWF I sleep in till 6, maybe do some minor body weight calesthenics if I slept well. My other lifting days are Sat and Sunday and schedule is pretty flexible.

It feels like even though my mind is awake, my body is sleeping in the morning and needs like an hour or two to even start being operational. I used to thought waking up at 5 am is madness, now I am one of you guys.

How do you guys squeeze in going to the gym when working??? I can't find the time.... :(
My day:

2:30 AM - Wake up
3:30 AM - Leave for work
?? PM - Get home from work (varies anywhere from 1-5pm usually)
Workout
?? PM - Start working job 2 (from home)
8:00 PM - Get ready for bed

I squeeze it between work1 and work2 :p

I also prepare every meal the night before the next day. I don't like doing a week's worth of food at a time for stuff like eggs. Meats on the other hand are viable for a few days.

Dany

Banned
Burnt my back really back sunbathing on friday. Tried to do some benchpresses yesterday, totally not a good call, Am I fucked for the next week or so :(

Burnt my back really back sunbathing on friday. Tried to do some benchpresses yesterday, totally not a good call, Am I fucked for the next week or so :(

Haha that's the worst when you burn your back and try to go weight lifting.

Be more careful. I don't know where you live, but you can get yourself pretty burned this time of year.

I take pretty good precautions down in Florida.

JoeNut

This Friday just gone was the worst! I hardly ate all day as I was out at meetings, and my BP was terrible.

Question though, does BP proper form require you to touch your chest with the bar? I've seen plenty people in my gym benching huge weights but they go to elbows at 90 degrees, I've tried both ways and obviously the latter is way easier.

Should I be touching my chest with the bar?

Faiz

This Friday just gone was the worst! I hardly ate all day as I was out at meetings, and my BP was terrible.

Question though, does BP proper form require you to touch your chest with the bar? I've seen plenty people in my gym benching huge weights but they go to elbows at 90 degrees, I've tried both ways and obviously the latter is way easier.

Yes. There are lots of guys in gyms "benching" 3 plates or more doing half reps. It should touch your chest.

blackflag

Yes touch and slight pause. It should be good as long as you aren't bouncing it off your chest

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Proper form. (paused)

bench-press-405lb03_2.gif

Entirely dependent on hand placement.

99% of folks who don't touch have their hands too close, causing their elbows to fall waaaaaaaaaay below parallel and even the bench, putting stress on the shoulders.

Touching isn't as important as making sure you break past parallel. Some folks with long arms have this issue where at "rest" the bar floats the chest with proper form.

Stretching can help alleviate the tightness and allow you to bring the bar down more, over time.

I have a shoulder injury and super long arms so I fold a small towel in half and place it on my chest. It's not much of a raise since it gets squished but as soon as I feel pressure I pause, then push. It's taught me to control the weight on the way down a lot more. If I break parallel with proper form I'm about 6 inches or so above my chest, chest up, shoulders down and back. I've had 3 different guys train me for BP but my wiry ass arms don't want to help.

On the flip side, dumbbell press I can get down with zero issues and pain. I attribute this to hand placement not being locked through the ROM.

On the flip flip side, if I ever go for 1RM I grin and bear the pain for a few reps. I know my limitation and I'll push right to the edge.

I don't talk shit about anyone who doesn't touch unless I know why. Shoulder injuries are a bitch. Couple that with a freak show for arm length and it's no bueno. Thank fuck for dumbbells tho.

No Love

Banned
Entirely dependent on hand placement.

99% of folks who don't touch have their hands too close, causing their elbows to fall waaaaaaaaaay below parallel and even the bench, putting stress on the shoulders.

Touching isn't as important as making sure you break past parallel. Some folks with long arms have this issue where at "rest" the bar floats the chest with proper form.

Stretching can help alleviate the tightness and allow you to bring the bar down more, over time.

I have a shoulder injury and super long arms so I fold a small towel in half and place it on my chest. It's not much of a raise since it gets squished but as soon as I feel pressure I pause, then push. It's taught me to control the weight on the way down a lot more. If I break parallel with proper form I'm about 6 inches or so above my chest, chest up, shoulders down and back. I've had 3 different guys train me for BP but my wiry ass arms don't want to help.

On the flip side, dumbbell press I can get down with zero issues and pain. I attribute this to hand placement not being locked through the ROM.

On the flip flip side, if I ever go for 1RM I grin and bear the pain for a few reps. I know my limitation and I'll push right to the edge.

I don't talk shit about anyone who doesn't touch unless I know why. Shoulder injuries are a bitch. Couple that with a freak show for arm length and it's no bueno. Thank fuck for dumbbells tho.

I find that facepulls and core exercises as a light warm-up before benching works wonders. Facepulls especially since they get your shoulders loosened up and protect your rotator cuffs.

Honestly everyone should be doing facepulls for rear delt work and for posture. They are very underrated.

I find that facepulls and core exercises as a light warm-up before benching works wonders. Facepulls especially since they get your shoulders loosened up and protect your rotator cuffs.

Honestly everyone should be doing facepulls for rear delt work and for posture. They are very underrated.
Facepulls are great. Do them regularly. I also do rotator exercises several times per week to keep them warm. Still my shoulder takes a beating, that's my hammer arm at the day job and rowing arm at the racetrack.

Still sucks tho :(

Harl3

Gaf I've been doing the Ice Cream Fitness routine for about 3-4 months, should I change the routine?

I'm really skinny, trying to gain muscle/mass, mostly want to have like 10-15 lbs more.

Plan to change it and keep the 3 day workout, but I don't know if I should go for a Upper/lower routine or keep the Full body.

Gaf I've been doing the Ice Cream Fitness routine for about 3-4 months, should I change the routine?

I'm really skinny, trying to gain muscle/mass, mostly want to have like 10-15 lbs more.

Plan to change it and keep the 3 day workout, but I don't know if I should go for a Upper/lower routine or keep the Full body.
What was your staring weight at the beginning of the program, what is it now after 4 months, what do your macros look like, age, all that stuff.

You can try every routine in the world if everything else isn't in place then you'll just be spinning your wheels.

Harl3

What was your staring weight at the beginning of the program, what is it now after 4 months, what do your macros look like, age, all that stuff.

You can try every routine in the world if everything else isn't in place then you'll just be spinning your wheels.

It was almost 120 lbs, now it is almost 130, I know the most important thing is to a lot, but that's difficult, but at least I'm doing progress.

Height: 5,5
Weight: 130
Goal: 140 or a little more
Current Training Schedule: Ice Cream Fitness
Current Training Equipment Available: The gym has everything I need at least for the ICF, it does.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So starting a new cycle of 5/3/1 tomorrow and going to try Joker sets and first set last. So from what I've read I'm just gonna use the 5/3/1 calc and input my numbers for the calculations. But aside from that I should do the main workout first, joker sets, then first set last. Then apparently my workout is done?. And if I'm understanding correctly then all I'm doing is the 1 main compound for the day and I don't do anything else?.

It was almost 120 lbs, now it is almost 130, I know the most important thing is to a lot, but that's difficult, but at least I'm doing progress.

Height: 5,5
Weight: 130
Goal: 140 or a little more
Current Training Schedule: Ice Cream Fitness
Current Training Equipment Available: The gym has everything I need at least for the ICF, it does.
Food. What is your caloric intake, macros, etc?

Youve gained weight in the past 4 months. Is it fat, not fat? Strength, how was that improved?

Details, yo!

But if you're gaining size and strength and your diet checks out on ICF - why stop?

KillerBEA

Facepulls are great. Do them regularly. I also do rotator exercises several times per week to keep them warm. Still my shoulder takes a beating, that's my hammer arm at the day job and rowing arm at the racetrack.

Still sucks tho :(

Facepulls are the best. I do them twice a week on the days that I press. Finally seeing noticeable difference in my rear delts and my shoulder alignment is a million times better too.

So my back has been feeling much better the last few days, and I figured today I'd do some very light work. Except...

...yesterday I dislocated my left shoulder (hypermobility, dislocations are slightly different for me from most) and now I really don't know if I should risk it. All I was doing was changing goddamn gear in my car. After that it happened a bunch more times when I was mountain biking (a couple of times from moving / lifting gates).

Stupid fucking useless body. FML.

Heysoos

Getting real fucking tired of my current gym. There's never proper spacing between squat racks, half the dumbbells are broken, a bunch of smith machines are in terrible shape, trainers that don't give a fuck and leave weights all over the place when they're done with their clients, half the treadmills are broken, restrooms are constantly in disarray. I may have to start looking into a Gold's or something.

The worse part is that the owners are apparently swimming in Herbalire money but don't spend anything to fucking get the gym back up to date. They're happy just using it as a front to sell herbalife to all those desperate middle age ladies.

fwpx

Rack arrives today for my gym in my basement...plates/bar next week. awwwww yeah. Ready to move on from dumbbells for the big 3.

Pachimari

As I just signed up for the gym again, got myself a boxing bag and some creatine and whey, I am looking to run as well. But which app for my phone is the best or most accurate one? I only need to be able to set a goal, and be able to see my route and how far I have run.

GatorBait

I know this is probably something that varies depending on the individual, but I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on the concept of cutting down as low as you can go before starting a bulk.

I'm 5'9" and right around 150 lbs. I'm thinking of continuing to cut to like 145 to lean down even more and get the abs to pop some before starting on my first ever bulk. This would be the lowest weight I've ever been at. I don't even recall being sub-150 in the later half of high school

I'm also thinking I probably won't want to go hard on the bulk until after we clear some of beach season...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I know this is probably something that varies depending on the individual, but I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on the concept of cutting down as low as you can go before starting a bulk.

I'm 5'9" and right around 150 lbs. I'm thinking of continuing to cut to like 145 to lean down even more and get the abs to pop some before starting on my first ever bulk. This would be the lowest weight I've ever been at. I don't even recall being sub-150 in the later half of high school

I'm also thinking I probably won't want to go hard on the bulk until after we clear some of beach season...
Yeah I am interested in this also. I'm 5' 10 and currently at 159 lb. I've got a feeling I would need to be down to 150lb to get my (perceived not measured) body fat percentage where I would like it to be. I've been steadily losing about 2lb per week, although I'm concerned that I may start (or am) losing muscle as I have been 140 or so earlier in my life without losing my belly. My instinct is to keep cutting and bulk in the fall, my desire to eat more and to have bigger muscles makes me want to start bulking now.

Right... I just did a session; first in well over a month now. No more than 70% of my normal weights. Some discomfort in places, but no sharp pains.

Will have to see how my back / shoulder feels tomorrow now. Am very apprehensive.

Depends on where you are at, tbh. If you're already holding on to some weight like 25% bodyfat then lose some before a bulk.

If you are relatively lean, don't worry so much.

If you are doing to cut, cut. Don't short change it. When you drop down to say 13% bodyfat then move to a bulk, you are in an ideal building range according to SCIENCE.

Allegedly the best range for a bulk is 10-15% bodyfat before your BF starts working against lean muscle gains. Everyone else usually floats up to 18-20. Above that I would consider the science behind the bulk that dictates you will spin your wheels and a majority of weight after will be fat.

If you're not building naturally, ie - on gear - the infinite is possible. But when you're clean - the body takes over and there's little you can do to change how your body begins to store fat vs build muscle.

People regularly cut down to 10% to immediately start bulking again with zero maintenance due to how quickly your body snaps back to add muscle. The inverse is true for cutting, changing directions quickly.

BUT - you need to read your body and see how it responds. Research, studies, etc will tell you one thing but your body will tell you something else.

If you are average size, don't sweat it, bulk. If you're a bit on the fluffy side, might want to lose some first as extra fat during a bulk is inevitable.

lenovox1

Joe DeFranco's Limber 11.

Has anyone tried this for stretching? Any good? Before or after workout?

That seems like a post workout or accessory routine. That may be a lot of deep stretching for your body right before weightlifting, though.

But foam rolling and dynamic stretching before hitting the weights can be helpful as well, apparently.

WHAT TO DO
“If you want to get your body ready for a workout session, foam roll your calves, the outside of your IT band, your piriformis, you adductors, and your mid and upper back,” Clark says. But instead of rolling back and forth constantly, as many athletes do, he says to roll until you find the most tender point in each area, then keep the roller on that spot for 60 seconds. Concentrating on sensitive spots will help relax your muscles, which Clark says is the first step in a proper warm up, followed by stretching any tight muscles, and then performing dynamic exercises like prisoner squats and lunges.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1784261/should-i-foam-roll-or-after-workout

Rolling the calves, inner and outer leg, and the bottom of the hips will basically increase your range of motion without effecting your strength.

ETA: Foam rolling and stretching in general is phenomenal, though. I get DOMS from sneezing too hard, so I have to do that stuff in order to function.

Szu

So my back has been feeling much better the last few days, and I figured today I'd do some very light work. Except...

...yesterday I dislocated my left shoulder (hypermobility, dislocations are slightly different for me from most) and now I really don't know if I should risk it. All I was doing was changing goddamn gear in my car. After that it happened a bunch more times when I was mountain biking (a couple of times from moving / lifting gates).

Stupid fucking useless body. FML.

You pop the sucker back in place and go kill some bad guys.
riggs-dislocated-shoulder-o.gif

Take it easy.

That seems like a post workout or accessory routine. That may be a lot of deep stretching for your body right before weightlifting, though.

But foam rolling and dynamic stretching before hitting the weights can be helpful as well, apparently.

Many of us here use that as our warmup routine.

Edit - Oh, and 60 seconds is over the top for holding on sore spots for foam rolling. You'll have better results doing some time on it, some time around it, as this helps loosen it up far quicker.

You pop the sucker back in place and go kill some bad guys.
riggs-dislocated-shoulder-o.gif

Take it easy.

Funnily enough, that's basically how I used to do it when it happened majorly. Not quite as much drama as him though. :D

But his didn't tend to just fall out of place when doing day to day shit.

Top Bottom