• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Ixian

So my back has been feeling much better the last few days, and I figured today I'd do some very light work. Except...

...yesterday I dislocated my left shoulder (hypermobility, dislocations are slightly different for me from most) and now I really don't know if I should risk it. All I was doing was changing goddamn gear in my car. After that it happened a bunch more times when I was mountain biking (a couple of times from moving / lifting gates).

Stupid fucking useless body. FML.
I think you might actually be Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.

I know this is probably something that varies depending on the individual, but I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on the concept of cutting down as low as you can go before starting a bulk.

I'm 5'9" and right around 150 lbs. I'm thinking of continuing to cut to like 145 to lean down even more and get the abs to pop some before starting on my first ever bulk. This would be the lowest weight I've ever been at. I don't even recall being sub-150 in the later half of high school

I'm also thinking I probably won't want to go hard on the bulk until after we clear some of beach season...
Having been a fatty all of my life, I'm cutting down as far as I can before I start bulking... mostly cuz I wanna escape my moobs. :x I'm 5'8 and 153.6 (well, 156 today after hitting up a Brazilian Steakhouse yesterday haha) down from ~180 at the start of the year and I'm looking to get down to 140-145 before I start bulking. Even though I live in SoCal and it's almost always beach season here, based on my trend data I'll be hitting my goal late August / early September, so it'll be a good time to start bulking.

Dinjooh

I'm seeing recommendations for Squatting shoes quite a lot recently around the interwebs. Am I right in my understanding that, as long as you can go atg (And I can quite easily) squatting shoes wouldn't help me further?

So starting a new cycle of 5/3/1 tomorrow and going to try Joker sets and first set last. So from what I've read I'm just gonna use the 5/3/1 calc and input my numbers for the calculations. But aside from that I should do the main workout first, joker sets, then first set last. Then apparently my workout is done?. And if I'm understanding correctly then all I'm doing is the 1 main compound for the day and I don't do anything else?.

Nah you still do your accessories.

I think you might actually be Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.

The bizarre thing is that I've walked away from massive mountain bike crashes with nothing more than scratches and bruises. I can't go to sleep or drive my car without fucking myself up though.

I'm seeing recommendations for Squatting shoes quite a lot recently around the interwebs. Am I right in my understanding that, as long as you can go atg (And I can quite easily) squatting shoes wouldn't help me further?

Interestingly, I tried with my heels on plates earlier and it felt MUCH harder. I also felt like I was using my ass far more than usual. Not sure if heeled shoes would be the same.

(I can go fully ass to grass, no worries)

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was recently touring Kyrgyzstan for a week and a half. What struck me was that everybody was just chilling like this (not my photo but gives you the idea):

1969a42c8b8edaf47469e67d34720642.jpg

My first thought was that "wtf, nobody in the west could sit like that even for a minute" yet these guys would literally go for hours like that. So I figured practicing that just might help in my squat performance. But I would need a daily routine that I would always remember to do.

So the most boring repeating moment is my 2 minute toothbrushing timed by Oral-B, twice a day. What a great chance to do something a bit more challenging, make the two minutes something to look forward to. So I began to brush my teeth squatting like that. My god, getting through the two minutes is real torture. Not only would my hips stretch, but my fucking shins! Who even knew shins could stretch, they are all bone or so I thought! And the ligaments near my knees would stretch. My ankles would stretch. My ass would stretch. Everything would stretch. A few days in I can now avoid growling during the two minutes, but man, it still stretches and burns.

Not sure why but I thought Fit-GAF would enjoy the story.

I was recently touring Kyrgysztan for a week and a half. What stuck me was that everybody was just chilling like this (not my photo but gives you the idea):

My first thought was that "wtf, nobody in the west could sit like that even for a minute" yet these guys would literally go for hours like that. So I figured practicing that just might help in my squat performance. But I would need a daily routine that I would always remember to do.

So the most boring repeating moment is my 2 minute toothbrushing timed by Oral-B, twice a day. What a great chance to do something a bit more challenging, make the two minutes something to look forward to. So I began to brush my teeth squatting like that. My god, getting through the two minutes is real torture. Not only would my hips stretch, but my fucking shins! Who even knew shins could stretch, they are all bone or so I thought! And the ligaments near my knees would stretch. My ankles would stretch. My ass would stretch. Everything would stretch. A few days in I can now avoid growling during the two minutes, but man, it still stretches and burns.

I've always been able to squat like that. My friend in school used to laugh and say it was weird whenever I sat like it.

Szu

I was recently touring Kyrgysztan for a week and a half. What stuck me was that everybody was just chilling like this (not my photo but gives you the idea):

Yeah, as a species, Homo sapiens have the natural ability to rest in this position.

cfc9e-toddler-squat1.jpg

radcliff

Need some advice, fitnessGAF.

I am currently on a slow bulk. On Sunday, I have to be on a zero calorie fast for a medical procedure (colonoscopy) on Monday. So what should I do with the missed calories from Sunday? Should I just eat double the calories on Monday after the procedure, distribute the missed calories evenly over the remainder of the week, ignore them as it probably won't make a difference in the long run? Any other suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd probably eat slightly more after the fast. Don't double it though.

Don't increase it over the week either, that's not how it works.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was recently touring Kyrgyzstan for a week and a half. What struck me was that everybody was just chilling like this (not my photo but gives you the idea):

Yep. I imagine that most people in the west completely lose the ability to squat stably as they grow up. Everyone is born with the ability to do so, of course.

I know I completely lost it and was baffled by squat toilets when I first went to Japan. Years later when I finally got into fitness, I had to gradually work on my flexibility doing air squats and other exercises. Now I'm to the point where squatting in that position, with both heels planted firmly to the ground, is effortless and even comfortable.

Honestly, I think this lack of flexibility is a big reason for why so many people skip leg day. The majority of people doing barbell squats in the commercial gym locations I go to simply cannot perform the exercise properly. They do one-eighth or quarter depth squats, heels raising off the ground and knees caving inwards. Doesn't stop them from loading up the weights, though!

AnAnole

Quote those images so they're smaller. :p Stats?

5' 10" 173 lbs

Don't know my max bench but probably close to 300.

Max squat is 365

DL max is 445 right now.

I can do a couple of muscle ups in a row.

I think I'm cursed with forever small calves.

GrapeApes

Beasts are lifting among me. A guy at the gym saw me deadlifting and told me to Google his name. Turns out he used to compete at the world level. First thing I pull up his him pulling 705lbs at 165. Not usually something I expect at a commercial gym.

goober

Beasts are lifting among me. A guy at the gym saw me deadlifting and told me to Google his name. Turns out he used to compete at the world level. First thing I pull up his him pulling 705lbs at 165. Not usually something I expect at a commercial gym.

what was the dudes name? lol

Squatting shoes are designed specifically for Olympic weightlifting, and not really squatting.

Both the Snatch and Clean & Jerk start with a deadlifting motion, followed by a squatting motion, followed by a pressing motion.

Most people cannot comfortably squat (especially not ass to grass) with their deadlifting stance. Other than sumo deadlifters most people squat with their feet significantly wider apart than they would comfortably deadlifting.

Squatting shoes fix this limitation by allowing people to squat deeper (being able to squat ass-to-grass is important in Olympic weightlifting) at the narrow foot positions commonly used for deadlifting.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ugh. Did some quick calcumalations on how well I've been sticking to my workout routine, and the results are pretty damn terrible. I'm doing SS, which as we all know, has you working out 3 times a week. Which means that for the first 5 months of the year, I should have had roughly 60 days worth of workouts. How much did I manage to do out of that 60? A pathetic 22. But hey, at least this explains why my gains have been awful.

I'm going to try to rectify this starting now. I've set a goal of doing a total of at least 30 workout days from now until the end of August.

For some reason I always notice my progress best in changing rooms. Lean gains still working well.

Damn, son! You got a license for those guns? :p

Your arms are pretty rockin'. They're close to the ideal that I would want for myself.

Hmm... I'm aching a lot pretty much everywhere today, but I don't think I've made my back injury any worse. My left shoulder is still feeling very much like it's about to pop at any point, but as long as I keep it very light (and avoid anything other than OHP for shoulder work) then it might be ok.

Will try again on Wednesday.

Has anybody else seen Sean in the beginning of this commercial?
https://youtu.be/Ghl19lJJ_mA

lol

JoeNut

so i am beginning to wonder if it is just impossible for me to progress at bench press. i went back to trying to do perfect form and touch my chest every time, turns out i suck and all the progress i have made so far has been because my form has gotten worse.

seriously demotivated right now, not sure what else i can do but have dedicated chest days twice a week and neglect my legs or something

bchamba

so i am beginning to wonder if it is just impossible for me to progress at bench press. i went back to trying to do perfect form and touch my chest every time, turns out i suck and all the progress i have made so far has been because my form has gotten worse.

seriously demotivated right now, not sure what else i can do but have dedicated chest days twice a week and neglect my legs or something

You can add bench sessions without sacrificing complete days. On your legs day you could squat, do 3-5 working sets on bench, then move onto whatever other leg exercises you would do. Same could be done on a shoulder day. Going from what you're doing now plus 1-2 extra bench sessions per week will help you progress in strength.

SeanR1221

For some reason I always notice my progress best in changing rooms. Lean gains still working well.

Fantastic progress! Great shoulder to arm vein too!

Has anybody else seen Sean in the beginning of this commercial?
https://youtu.be/Ghl19lJJ_mA

ROFL
I wish my beard looked that good.

Like Bchamba said, don't be afraid to work on bench more than once a week. Even throwing in a day where you go in and do close grip and incline can help a lot.

The best way to get better at bench is to bench more!

KillerBEA

You can add bench sessions without sacrificing complete days. On your legs day you could squat, do 3-5 working sets on bench, then move onto whatever other leg exercises you would do. Same could be done on a shoulder day. Going from what you're doing now plus 1-2 extra bench sessions per week will help you progress in strength.

This! I do some working sets of Bench after OHP and vice versa, so that I can hit both twice a week.

The gist of it

"Shoulder day"
Main OHP workout
Few sets of Bench
OHP Accessory
Dips
Rear Delt Exercise

"Chest Day"
Main Bench workout
Few Sets of OHP
Bench Accessory
Dips
Rear Delt Exercise

ParityBit

I think I posted this to the wrong message thread ... so I will post it here!

So I am looking to buy an Elliptical machine for my house. Does anyone have experience with any of these? I have tried to find comparisons/reviews/Vs online and I can not find anything.

Nautilus E616, Schwinn 470 and Sole E55.

JoeNut

maybe i should have elaborated, i am doing SL 5x5, so i squat 3 times a week, bench twice a week, and do rows, OHP, and deadlift in alternates on the other days (Not all in one day)

So what i am suggesting is that one day i don't squat, or don't deadlift, and instead do more chest stuff instead? i dont have time to do both unfortunately.

KillerBEA

maybe i should have elaborated, i am doing SL 5x5, so i squat 3 times a week, bench twice a week, and do rows, OHP, and deadlift in alternates on the other days (Not all in one day)

So what i am suggesting is that one day i don't squat, or don't deadlift, and instead do more chest stuff instead? i dont have time to do both unfortunately.

If you don't have more time to workout then maybe on the week you're benching twice, use one of those days to do Dumbbell Bench Press instead of barbell. You get greater range of motion with Dumbbells which will lead to more muscle creation.

or try pausing every rep at the bottom so stretch reflex isn't as prominent so you're forced to muscle through; or if you don't want pause slow down the negative (coming down) and then press the weight normally.

One other suggestion is set the weight back and make the last set of each lift an amrap

JoeNut

If you don't have more time to workout then maybe on the week you're benching twice, use one of those days to do Dumbbell Bench Press instead of barbell. You get greater range of motion with Dumbbells which will lead to more muscle creation.

or try pausing every rep at the bottom so stretch reflex isn't as prominent so you're forced to muscle through; or if you don't want pause slow down the negative (coming down) and then press the weight normally.

One other suggestion is set the weight back and make the last set of each lift an amrap

Thanks i think i'll try that, it's strange that my Squats have come on so good, but my bench just doesn't seem to improve, i never do anything other than squats to improve them, but the same logic doesn't seem to apply to bench

Pretty much.

I add bench to my arm day. Probably 5-7 sets. I get to engage my triceps and get them warmed up.
I still have my chest day where I do other stuff.

KillerBEA

Thanks i think i'll try that, it's strange that my Squats have come on so good, but my bench just doesn't seem to improve, i never do anything other than squats to improve them, but the same logic doesn't seem to apply to bench

Most people require much more volume for upperbody than they do for lowerbody, pretty normal and annoying.

bchamba

Most people require much more volume for upperbody than they do for lowerbody, pretty normal and annoying.

Small male lifters and most female lifters especially. No disrespect is intended by that. It's not uncommon for smaller lifters to be benching 3-4x per week because of the amount of volume and hypertrophy they need for their upper body to grow.

KmA

Small male lifters and most female lifters especially. No disrespect is intended by that. It's not uncommon for smaller lifters to be benching 3-4x per week because of the amount of volume and hypertrophy they need for their upper body to grow.

Ugh my chest is probably one of my weakest areas. I'm 5'7 is this why?

Squats have become my favorite lift lately.

Three weeks ago I did 385 for 5.
Two weeks ago I managed 395 for 5.
Last week was 405 for 6.
This week was 425 for 4. I would have liked 5 reps but I gotta reacclimate to doing weight like this.

Form is on point though. I'm glad to see some progress.

Of course, you are squatting 3 times per week, plus deadlifts and maybe accesories, your legs grow stronger than your upper body. Switch it around and you may see results. You may not progress as fast at squats but you wont be losing gains either if you squat 2 times per week.

That or add more chest accessories depending on what is the weak point that is making you fail. Is it shoulders? Add some incline bench. Triceps? Do dips. General fatigue? Add high-volume bench sets when you are not lifting heavy.

Grilled/Baked chicken definitely a staple of my diet when I'm on it. I currently have a large tray filled with a bunch of chicken breast that was cooked up 2 nights ago. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do with it.

My chicken meal always consists of the same thing. I make a sandwich with one breast, one slightly toasted whole grain bread, spinach, muenster cheese, sometimes tomato, sometimes egg, sometimes hummus. Of course, this isn't the only meal I ever eat, but it's how I consume this chicken 98% of the time.

It somehow just recently dawned on me that I've kinda been relying on this same meal for a while now It's still tasty enough, but what can I do to mix it up? What other chicken meal/recipes do you guys suggest?

mdsfx

Stayed home from work for 2 days due to hemorrhoids from hell, most likely due to my squat-a-thon on friday. Feck. This is the worst... except for the fact that i blasted through Uncharted 4 in just a few days :) YAAAA*OUCH*AAASSSSSS

^^ BLEH!

Deadlift day. Super easy to setup now that my feet have permanently made indentations in my deadlift area on the carpet. I CAN SETUP FAST AS HELL NOW.

It's basically office carpet in the basement, no foam and it's on concrete. Tis why I love lifting barefoot.

ColdPizza

Banned
So I've decided my squat form sucks so I ditched the bar and started doing goblet squats to correct my form. What I've noticed with these is I'm a little more upright and my hip muscles are engaging much more. I also noticed (as a form tool) that when I put my heels on two 5 lb plates my form felt even better.

What are the mechanics at play here and what could be my path forward to learning correct form? I plan on doing these multiple times a week to get better.

Grilled/Baked chicken definitely a staple of my diet when I'm on it. I currently have a large tray filled with a bunch of chicken breast that was cooked up 2 nights ago. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do with it.

My chicken meal always consists of the same thing. I make a sandwich with one breast, one slightly toasted whole grain bread, spinach, muenster cheese, sometimes tomato, sometimes egg, sometimes hummus. Of course, this isn't the only meal I ever eat, but it's how I consume this chicken 98% of the time.

It somehow just recently dawned on me that I've kinda been relying on this same meal for a while now It's still tasty enough, but what can I do to mix it up? What other chicken meal/recipes do you guys suggest?
I always like to throw chicken in the crock pot and shred it up for tacos.
Whole wheat tortilla + avocado + chicken + hot sauce or salsa = happiness.

Top Bottom