• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Grilled to the right temperature so it's still juicy, using different vinegar-based bbq sauces each day. I eat it twice per day.

"Stubbs" is my go to sauce at only 30-40 calories for 2Tbs, which is just enough to fully cover 6-7oz of chicken.

Yeah, sure, with enough sauce it's palatable, but cardboard probably would be, too. It's a failure as a meat to me if you need sauce to force it down your gullet.

SeanR1221

I don't know how anyone can eat nothing but chicken breast. The driest, blandest meat around. Even frying in copious amounts of butter can't save it.

I almost always do tenders. Best caloric/macro bang for your buck IMO. I sometimes get the leg/thigh combos at Costco that you can make in the oven but I find leftover dark meat to be pretty gross

Nelo Ice

Banned
I almost always do tenders. Best caloric/macro bang for your buck IMO. I sometimes get the leg/thigh combos at Costco that you can make in the oven but I find leftover dark meat to be pretty gross

Got a recipe for tenders?. Cuz I've been devouring so much baked chicken breast with just seasoning for the past month. With that said I'm down about 10lbs.

BumRush

Got a recipe for tenders?. Cuz I've been devouring so much baked chicken breast with just seasoning for the past month. With that said I'm down about 10lbs.

If you can fit a little light mayo into your macros, you can make dope chicken salad out of leftover baked chicken in a magic bullet. Add a little garlic, pepper, cucumbers, almonds and cranberries and blend until chunked. Mmmmmmm.

Nelo Ice

Banned
If you can fit a little light mayo into your macros, you can make dope chicken salad out of leftover baked chicken in a magic bullet. Add a little garlic, pepper, cucumbers, almonds and cranberries and blend until chunked. Mmmmmmm.

Hmm don't have a magic bullet but I have a food processor. Yeah been looking for ways to change up my really plain diet. Eating about 1500 calories a day with a cheat day or 2 for the weekend. Funny thing is some days I'm planning my diet I'll check the macros and see I'll hit them for protein but still need to eat like 200+ more calories to get to 1500 or so. At first I was having issues getting protein and now I'm finding I need to eat a bit more of my other macros since I'm hitting protein goals easily.

BumRush

Hmm don't have a magic bullet but I have a food processor. Yeah been looking for ways to change up my really plain diet. Eating about 1500 calories a day with a cheat day or 2 for the weekend. Funny thing is some days I'm planning my diet I'll check the macros and see I'll hit them for protein but still need to eat like 200+ more calories to get to 1500 or so. At first I was having issues getting protein and now I'm finding I need to eat a bit more of my other macros since I'm hitting protein goals easily.

You can use olive oil or avocado instead of mayo too. Give it a shot.

I don't know how anyone can eat nothing but chicken breast. The driest, blandest meat around. Even frying in copious amounts of butter can't save it.

I cut the chicken in small cubes and stir fry with vegetables. The increased area of contact makes it crispier and the spices and flavors mix more on the surface of each little cube. It is actually very delicious! but I'm too lazy to be chopping meat every day

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Totally forgot my love for chicken fajitas. Especially with the right spice blend and when the chicken scorches a bit. Lots of onions. Using chicken breasts I can eat this shit everyday.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The leftover dark meat is the best! :(

How do you cook the tenders usually?

I cut the chicken in small cubes and stir fry with vegetables. The increased area of contact makes it crispier and the spices and flavors mix more on the surface of each little cube. It is actually very delicious! but I'm too lazy to be chopping meat every day

That would work... with enough cooking fat, at least!

That would work... with enough cooking fat, at least!

Only one tablespoon of your favorite oil for a big pan or wok. I actually got the idea from GAF because I was afraid to cook meats. The stir fry is not meant to have the ingredients swimming in oil like a deep fry

mkenyon

Banned
Two ways. 1) http://anovaculinary.com/anova-prec...eAoRCO1NURAM_hGZJBbfW0ywivMU5PEtloaAqtD8P8HAQ

2) http://www.the-greatest-barbecue-recipes.com/Smoking-Chicken.html

I bought a ceramic smoker/grill. Makes meal prep super easy. The sous vide cooker is the same kind of approach, but good for coming home to perfectly cooked meat, instead of an event to be managed like smoking/slow cooking.

Lol, only he 3rd time I've heard that.

haha
xmzoZPl.png

KillerBEA

Mid-cut progress pic for all of you to laugh at because i suck:

http://i.imgur.com/G6LbqgW.jpg

So far I'm happy with my chest, tris and traps. Traps i pretty much do almost nothing for so I can't really say I worked them hard - I've just always had them even as a kid - probably from mom, she got some big ol traps for a 5'3" old Croatian lady XD. I'll gladly trade for some calves tho :(

Bis and delts can def use more work. Delts look defined but aren't big enough, methinks. They're strong but I should probably hit more high-rep work with them. Same goes for bis. Right now they are noodles. Fairly competent to average, at best.

Another 8 weeks and I should be good to go with the abs. Then i'll hit maintenance for a while.

I'll def do a slower bulk next time - i had more fat on than i originally thought :|

I'll be parsing my next bulk food/lifting routine with you guys for help.

All in all I'll wind up at or just slightly below my starting weight a year ago and much, much leaner.

Looking beastly

Pachimari

I planned on only eating chicken breast with vegetables for the next two months to drop my weight from 80kg to 65kg but I'm not sure if that is what I should do if I want to bulk and get bigger. It's only my stomach I want to get flatter. I'm 174cm tall.

[edit] Wow, I took a look at the Nike ROMALEOS 2 shoes and they are super expensive for my budget.

Mr. X

I planned on only eating chicken breast with vegetables for the next two months to drop my weight from 80kg to 65kg but I'm not sure if that is what I should do if I want to bulk and get bigger. It's only my stomach I want to get flatter. I'm 174cm tall.

[edit] Wow, I took a look at the Nike ROMALEOS 2 shoes and they are super expensive for my budget.
Why not buy converse chuck taylors?

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna go buy those tomorrow then. I'm so excited to try out the deadlift tomorrow. It'll be my first time but I have no idea how much weight I should carry. Because it seems like the purpose with deadlifting is to carry as much as possible and then let go right when you have lifted it.

BumRush

I think I'm gonna go buy those tomorrow then. I'm so excited to try out the deadlift tomorrow. It'll be my first time but I have no idea how much weight I should carry. Because it seems like the purpose with deadlifting is to carry as much as possible and then let go right when you have lifted it.

Don't drop the weight. Especially at lighter weights. It's more a controlled drop than just outright letting it go.

Dany

Banned
Dude using the EZ bar in the squat rack. Ugh.

sometimes I really question the... technique some people use when doing squats. SOme dude was using a smith machine with his both of his feet infront of his torso trying to go down on it.

BumRush

sometimes I really question the... technique some people use when doing squats. SOme dude was using a smith machine with his both of his feet infront of his torso trying to go down on it.

I assume Mikey meant the guy was curling in the rack

Thats not a squat. That's a vertical leg press. Hams/glutes.

There are a few variation based on leg angle/foot placement.

wbsmcs

Looking to get Portuguese chicken for lunch by I can't really find any nutritional info. Do you guys have any idea how many calories would be in a whole grilled chicken? Skipping the potatos and rice so just wondering if I would stay within my limit that way.

Ixian

Even if you can lift a lot, I'd recommend starting at the bare minimum to keep the bar off the floor (25 or 45 pound plates) and progressing from there. Deadlifts are simple but as with all lifts you can do some real damage if you're pulling heavy weights without a good understanding of form.

Chocobro

I think I'm gonna go buy those tomorrow then.

If you do go for the Chuck Taylors, make sure it's not the Chuck Taylors II. If I recall correctly, the II has the Nike plush, lightweight cushioning that's more comfortable to walk in, not really good for lifting. You would want less cushioning.

I just wear a plain running shoe when I squat. I can't imagine it making that much of a difference, honestly.

You apply force to the barbell from the ground, directly through your feet. There is a noticable difference between squating running shoes with a highly compressable sole versus squatting in weightlifting shoes, which have a non-compressible heel and added side-to-side stability via the metatarsal straps. When squatting in running shoes, some of your upwardward drive gets absorbed during compression of the sole, not unlike trying to squat on a bed.

If you have proper ankle mobility you don't need weightlifting shoes.

Weightlifting shoes don't exclusively compensate for ankle mobility and will provide a more solid, stable platform to push from than any other type of shoe. If someone is learning the lifts for the first time, I am not sure why anyone would discourage them from buying proper shoes. Just my two cents :)

Source: Still a beginner myself and weighlifting shoes changed my life lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Nothing but breast? That's ridiculous... but curried, it's still easily one of my favourite meals. Nothing to worry about macros wise either as it's 90% spices.

I just made Madras Curry...

yb6jXFc.jpg

Uhhhhh holy fuck. Its the perfect mixture of sweet and hot. And the only real macro that's pushed is fat due to the coconut milk sauce. And of course protein.

I used cut up chicken thighs instead though. Kept the meat more moist than breast would. Also added a bit chilli garlic sauce for heat.

Shy Fingers

Banned
New OT gym thread of the usual BS. Yay!

Oh this one got even better. There was someone arguing that working out at the gym is the same as substance abuse when dealing with depression.

I wrote up 4 different response and deleted them all. I couldn't convey what I wanted to properly.

Looking freakin fantastic Jack!

___

New OT gym thread of the usual BS. Yay!
Thanks man! Means a lot!

yb6jXFc.jpg

Uhhhhh holy fuck. Its the perfect mixture of sweet and hot. And the only real macro that's pushed is fat due to the coconut milk sauce. And of course protein.

I used cut up chicken thighs instead though. Kept the meat more moist than breast would. Also added a bit chilli garlic sauce for heat.
Just letting you know I'm coming over right n-
KNOCK KNOCK!

Oh this one got even better. There was someone arguing that working out at the gym is the same as substance abuse when dealing with depression.

I wrote up 4 different response and deleted them all. I couldn't convey what I wanted to properly.
The best I came up with was the Gone In 60 Seconds "Roger" scene. "Yes! I've seen three of this exact thread parked outside of a Starbucks!" Great scene, great movie XD

I'm amazed by guys with big arms and literally no chest that benches a lot. Then again the muscle you feel give up first are your triceps, right? I have a decent sized chest but my arms flexed are 17 inches.

What is the best tricep exercise to help increasing bench? I do weighted dips already. Close grip bench?

I'm amazed by guys with big arms and literally no chest that benches a lot. Then again the muscle you feel give up first are your triceps, right? I have a decent sized chest but my arms flexed are 17 inches.

What is the best tricep exercise to help increasing bench? I do weighted dips already. Close grip bench?
I do like underhanded tricep pushdowns and db skull crushers.

For a different, slightly awkward close grip bench, go underhand there, too. Strip the weight until you get used to the wrist position. I don't do those often but I find them to be a good finisher in supersets.

bchamba

Fantastic, notify the U.S. Olympic team before it's too late.

I'm only talking about the squat. Olympic lifts obviously require more mobility for the lifts and stability when slamming the feet down after triple extension. The comment was made in response to somebody telling a beginner lifter who is just starting out with strong lifts(I think or an equivalent 5x5 beginner program) that he should invest money into weightlifting shoes. For a beginner flat soled shoes like Chucks or CrossFit Lites are an easier investment to make since they're cheaper and can be used for both squats and deadlifts.

Only discouraging so he doesn't have to spend money on multiple pairs of shoes when he's just starting out. Flats will be just as stable for squats.

Nelo Ice

Banned

yb6jXFc.jpg

Oo got a recipe?. That looks delicious.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Just starving so I BBQ'd some sausages. Only had 3 double cheese burgers from McDicks today.

Went on a vacation and had two weeks off from lifting. Unfortunately it's Canada Day tomorrow so gym hours aren't ideal until Saturday :(

Top Bottom