• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Oo got a recipe?. That looks delicious.

Used

-3tbs of Sun Brand Madras Curry Powder
-1tbs Huy Fong Chilli Garlic Sauce
-2tbs butter
-Half a large onion, sliced unto strips
-One garlic clove, diced
-1lb chicken thigh meat, cut into bite sizes
-eyeballed thai coconut milk, just enough to fill the bottom of the pan

Method

I just diced everything up, placed butter in hot pan with garlic and onions. Once they're browned you add the curry powder and garlic sauce. You let this brown for two or three minutes more then put in the chicken. Keep stirring until the chicken is almost cooked through. Then add the coconut milk. Let that come to a boil, maybe let it reduce a little if you like the sauce thicker. I then brought the temp down to a simmer, covered and let cook for 10 minutes longer. Real simple considering the amount of flavor it packs. In the pic its over a bed of kale which isn't so good but I want the nutrients lol

BumRush

Used

-3tbs of Sun Brand Madras Curry Powder
-1tbs Huy Fong Chilli Garlic Sauce
-2tbs butter
-Half a large onion, sliced unto strips
-One garlic clove, diced
-1lb chicken thigh meat, cut into bite sizes
-eyeballed thai coconut milk, just enough to fill the bottom of the pan

Method

I just diced everything up, placed butter in hot pan with garlic and onions. Once they're browned you add the curry powder and garlic sauce. You let this brown for two or three minutes more then put in the chicken. Keep stirring until the chicken is almost cooked through. Then add the coconut milk. Let that come to a boil, maybe let it reduce a little if you like the sauce thicker. I then brought the temp down to a simmer, covered and let cook for 10 minutes longer. Real simple considering the amount of flavor it packs. In the pic its over a bed of kale which isn't so good but I want the nutrients lol

Thanks for posting this. Looks delicious.

Dinjooh

I think I'm gonna go buy those tomorrow then. I'm so excited to try out the deadlift tomorrow. It'll be my first time but I have no idea how much weight I should carry. Because it seems like the purpose with deadlifting is to carry as much as possible and then let go right when you have lifted it.

Converse can be quite expensive here in Denmark, so what I've had pretty good experience doing is go into Deichmann or an equivalent place selling cheap shoes and look for their copies. Just make sure that there isn't any sort of padding in the sole or the like. You should be able to save a couple hundred dkk.

Also really curious how your deadlift went!

BadTaste

Any advice for looking swole in a week for when appearing in front of an audience. I have court next week and want to look like an intimidating guy rather than a pussy. I'm only a witness but I have a feeling the defendant will come after me as a result of me talking to the police.

bchamba

5EWDF4nl.jpg

Fat powerlifter checking in. Weighing around 214 which is up 5-10 lbs than I like to walk around but I don't know where it's going since my belt has actually felt looser during lifts. Cropped out my bulge because this isn't OT8.

BumRush

5EWDF4nl.jpg

Fat powerlifter checking in. Weighing around 214 which is up 5-10 lbs than I like to walk around but I don't know where it's going since my belt has actually felt looser during lifts. Cropped out my bulge because this isn't OT8.

Notice to all mice that might be reading this thread. DO NOT GO ON CHAMBAS SHOULDERS (too many traps)

*rimshot*

Looking dope brother. Best I've seen you look.

I'm sure this had been posted plenty of times but I'm looking for exercises to increase my ankle flexibility. When I squat even without weights I naturally lean forward onto my toes and feel unbalanced leaning back on my heels too much. I'm fairly sure it's because of poor ankle flexibility.

5EWDF4nl.jpg

Lookin good duder.

I'm sure this had been posted plenty of times but I'm looking for exercises to increase my ankle flexibility. When I squat even without weights I naturally lean forward onto my toes and feel unbalanced leaning back on my heels too much. I'm fairly sure it's because of poor ankle flexibility.
Just stretch all the time. Eat dinner on the floor in a squat position, watch TV like that, walk around the house like that. Whenever you have a minute throughout the day - go deep. Standing you can kick one leg back, the other leg knee forward, hands on a wall. Stand with one foot on a stair on the ball of your foot and sink, switch feet. Anytime throughout the day, stretch the ankles/calves.

Stretching muscles will improve elasticity and reduce stress on connective tissue in joints under a load.

So anyone notice that music sounds waaaay slower when running? Like I'll listen to a song at work or when I'm chilling and it's upbeat, but more than once, including today, when I'm running that same song just sounds super slow, as of its being played at half speed. Pretty interesting stuff.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Great news, men.

My past few workouts have been going great. And today continued that trend. It wasn't exactly optimal on every level, but my lifts all still progressed quite nicely. And I finally made a milestone with my weighted chins at 15 lbs. 2x8. Now I can finally move on to 20 lbs! I haven't been able to progress on this for at least a year!

For the first time in a long time, my diet and progress is going pretty smoothly. Woo!

Pachimari

What if I buy a Adidas Powerlift Trainer 2, are those only for one specific weightlift? Or can it be used for everything?

Converse can be quite expensive here in Denmark, so what I've had pretty good experience doing is go into Deichmann or an equivalent place selling cheap shoes and look for their copies. Just make sure that there isn't any sort of padding in the sole or the like. You should be able to save a couple hundred dkk.

Also really curious how your deadlift went!
Thanks for this suggestion. I haven't done the SS program yet, as I want to buy proper shoes first. I'm currently using really cheap Ecco shoes.

Trap bar deads feel so much easier. I need to work on my grip.

I still prefer the bar but anytime you shift the center of gravity things will feel different.

This reminds me tho. My farmer's bars grips are powder coated. They are relatively smooth so i def need to wrap them with something lol.

Pachimari

I can't find the Adidas Powerlift 2 anywhere here in Denmark. I have checked Dreichmann, Sportmaster, Intersport, Stadium and Footlocker and none seem to have it.

Can something like the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star II work?

Szu

5EWDF4nl.jpg

Great work, man. Maybe all the weight went to your bulge. It's a good thing you cropped it out.

SeanR1221

Got a recipe for tenders?. Cuz I've been devouring so much baked chicken breast with just seasoning for the past month. With that said I'm down about 10lbs.

I tend to (har har!) throw them in the oven with garlic and lemon pepper spices. Chop them up over jasmine rice and use a Greek yogurt dressing (check out bolthouse farms dressing!)

The leftover dark meat is the best! :(

How do you cook the tenders usually?

That would work... with enough cooking fat, at least!

They're awesome for the first couple days. But by day 3-4? It leaves that greasy gel all over and is slimed. :/

5EWDF4nl.jpg

Looking big and strong. Awesome strength gains!

Pachimari

anything with a flat sole that's not cushioned should be fine for lifting. i wear something similar for squats.

Okay. But I can wear them for anything right? So I can use them for squats, deadlifts and bench presses, because I don't have money for anymore pair of shoes. I'll go to the mall now and look for either the Adidas Powerlift Trainer 2 or the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star II.

BumRush

Okay. But I can wear them for anything right? So I can use them for squats, deadlifts and bench presses, because I don't have money for anymore pair of shoes. I'll go to the mall now and look for either the Adidas Powerlift Trainer 2 or the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star II.

Yes, but I wouldn't run in adipowers. Do you also have running shoes for cardio?

Pachimari

Yes, but I wouldn't run in adipowers. Do you also have running shoes for cardio?

I only have these Ecco shoes right now:

Is it okay to bring a protein shake to workout instead of just plain water? I'm planning maybe I could bring 3 bottles, and one of them being a protein shake, while the two others are pure water maybe.

I can't find the Adidas Powerlift 2 anywhere here in Denmark. I have checked Dreichmann, Sportmaster, Intersport, Stadium and Footlocker and none seem to have it.

Can something like the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star II work?

The original Chucks are well regarded for lifting because of its firm midsole. The new Chuck II has Nike Lunar cushioning inside, making it a much more comfortable shoe to walk all day, making it much less firm for lifting.

So yeah, the Chuck II isn't recommended for lifting.

That said, if you don't want strict lifting shoes try out the Nike Metcon 1 or 2...it's mostly geared towards CrossFitters but it's a great all-round shoe for the gym with a firm-enough insole to properly lift in. Older styles and colors are usually on clearance prices nowadays if you look around.

So anyone notice that music sounds waaaay slower when running? Like I'll listen to a song at work or when I'm chilling and it's upbeat, but more than once, including today, when I'm running that same song just sounds super slow, as of its being played at half speed. Pretty interesting stuff.

A friend of mine was telling me that spotify has a run option and it matches your pace. Might be worth checking out if it is messing with you run.

mdsfx

A friend of mine was telling me that spotify has a run option and it matches your pace. Might be worth checking out if it is messing with you run.

It does and it's pretty cool actually. You first set a tempo you think you'll run at, but it adjusts pretty well to changes. I don;t use it often though because when I'm putting effort into a run the music completely becomes white noise anyway. I just can't focus on it.

Pachimari

So I went to visit my mother and she have bought some training shoes for me as a surprise apparently. It is Adidas Adipreme+. How are those? If they're not good enough I'll go take a look for the others at the mall.

I don't think they are all flat?

Hmm, I would prefer one strict for lifting. So I should be looking for the Converse Chuck Taylor All Star I?
I had the Adidas Powerlift 2s, they were good. But the Metcons allowed me to not only lift but also do a lot more stuff in the gym without having to bring extra gear and switch shoes.

With deadlifts, for example, I'd have to remove the Powerlifts and do it barefoot because of the raised heel but I'm comfortable leaving the Metcons on since they're a flatter shoe. I'd imagine you can do the same with Chuck 1s but really they're a casual shoe while the Metcons are purpose-built for lifting and other gym work.

Metcons in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHU7WgFODbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoovmNqDN0g

Pachimari

I had the Adidas Powerlift 2s, they were good. But the Metcons allowed me to not only lift but also do a lot more stuff in the gym without having to bring extra gear and switch shoes.

With deadlifts, for example, I'd have to remove the Powerlifts and do it barefoot because of the raised heel but I'm comfortable leaving the Metcons on since they're a flatter shoe. I'd imagine you can do the same with Chuck 1s but really they're a casual shoe while the Metcons are purpose-built for lifting and other gym work.

Metcons in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHU7WgFODbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoovmNqDN0g
Should it be M Metcon or W Metcon shoes? The 1 and 2 are basically the same price here.

Should it be M Metcon or W Metcon shoes? The 1 and 2 are basically the same price here.
I haven't heard of 'M' or 'W' Metcons (men or women?) but if the 1s and 2s are the same price in your area just find your proper size and a color you like with what's out there.

Pachimari

I haven't heard of 'M' or 'W' Metcons (men or women?) but if the 1s and 2s are the same price in your area just find your proper size and a color you like with what's out there.
Oh you're right. They have the 2 in black/white and full black. Guess I'll go with that.

I found out the Adidas Adipreme+ are running shoes designed for fore footed runners, so they're probably not ideal for weightlifting.

mkenyon

Banned
If you want a shoe that works for both lifting and some cardio (on treadmill, not on pavement/tracks/dirt), get some Crossfit Shoes. The Crossfit Nano is well regarded. Metcon also works.

Pachimari

Yeah. I have totally decided on Metcon 2 now or else I will keep going back and forth and never buy anything heh. I can always look at another pair a year down the road or further.

Mr. X

M is Men W is Women
All Star 2 has a lunarlon foam from Nike that they use in their lunar line of sneakers for padding and comfort. It would be like lifting in running shoes.

*works for a sneaker retailer*

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hey Fit-gaf, hope everyone has been well. Finally starting to have some time to focus on fitness, and hang out on Fit-gaf again. Spent last 2 years building up 3 companies, and finally they are starting to be stable so I have more time and energy for fitness.

Lifting, continuing to focus on the big barbell lifts. Has taken an absolute eternity to progress due to my very tall lower torso, tight hamstrings and rolled shoulders. But patience pays off. Doing an awesome program of 10x4, 7x4, 5x4, 3x5, 1x5, each for 3 weeks. It's working really well for me. Latest numbers

Squat - 80kg / 176lbs for 5x4
Deadlift - 110kg / 242lbs for 5x4
Press - 47.5kg / 104lbs for 5x4
Bench - 85kg / 187lbs for 5x4

So nothing too crazy but it's climbing consistently, which is nice.

Nutrition-wise, 1500kcal 120g protein diet going on. Tried 180g protein but it killed my hunger to a point I couldn't even finish 1500kcal, no good.

So happy to be back at it!

Two Words

How important is it to take whey protein immediately following a workout? I typically feel like I can't eat/drink anything thick/heavy for about 30 minutes after my workout and tend to weight for that feeling to fade. I can take creatine immediately since they are in capsule form.

How important is it to take whey protein immediately following a workout? I typically feel like I can't eat/drink anything thick/heavy for about 30 minutes after my workout and tend to weight for that feeling to fade. I can take creatine immediately since they are in capsule form.
I sub to the "did I get all my macros in for the day?" line of eating.

The only thing I really time is my carbs, only because those help the energy/blood glucose factor. So I eat about 2-4 hrs before I train.

I usually eat again after but that's because it's been 3-5 hours :p

Plenty of days I've eaten all of macros at once because it's fun :D Mixing things up so the routine doesn't get stale.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I've been working hook grip and it's legit. I did 425 for a very very easy 5 just now. Easily could have done 10+, but stopped due to a tension headache. This grip is amazing. Just a little discomfort and I feel a ton stronger in this position.

https://youtu.be/Jmk4lRK7Aao

mkenyon

Banned
So I've been working hook grip and it's legit. I did 425 for a very very easy 5 just now. Easily could have done 10+, but stopped due to a tension headache. This grip is amazing. Just a little discomfort and I feel a ton stronger in this position.

I think my puny hands are just way too small for this. I tried it for a few weeks, and I ended up having to reset my grip every 2-3 pulls.

That was before I did the grip strength lifts you rec'd awhile back tho. I'll give it another shot.

Two Words

I sub to the "did I get all my macros in for the day?" line of eating.

The only thing I really time is my carbs, only because those help the energy/blood glucose factor. So I eat about 2-4 hrs before I train.

I usually eat again after but that's because it's been 3-5 hours :p

Plenty of days I've eaten all of macros at once because it's fun :D Mixing things up so the routine doesn't get stale.
Sounds like I shouldn't worry about it then.

Damn dude, is that decline safe? I thought you were collapsing the first time, lol. What exactly are you doing that is different though? That looks like how I've been doing deadlifts.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sounds like I shouldn't worry about it then.

Damn dude, is that decline safe? I thought you were collapsing the first time, lol. What exactly are you doing that is different though? That looks like how I've been doing deadlifts.

Have you never seen me deadlift before? That's how I do. And look at my grip, I'm not using straps or alternated grip. I'm using hook grip and it's beautiful.

I think my puny hands are just way too small for this. I tried it for a few weeks, and I ended up having to reset my grip every 2-3 pulls.

That was before I did the grip strength lifts you rec'd awhile back tho. I'll give it another shot.

I have small hands too I've heard it actually makes it easier.

RIP your chalk box.

Nice pulls though. I personally don't understand hook grip in the slightest so one day I might have to educate myself on how to do it properly since it sounds great for a lot of people.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Upper back is no issue.

Must be bro science what people in my gym say, I've got so much shit from my PT about it. I could do 150kg / 330lbs rounded, but we have maxed out at 110kg / 242lbs currently as that's the highest weight I can maintain straight upper back, scapulas back and all that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
RIP your chalk box.

Nice pulls though. I personally don't understand hook grip in the slightest so one day I might have to educate myself on how to do it properly since it sounds great for a lot of people.

It's actually not used much in powerlifting due to the pain/discomfort. It's good for some though.

Must be bro science what people in my gym say, I've got so much shit from my PT about it. I could do 150kg / 330lbs rounded, but we have maxed out at 110kg / 242lbs currently as that's the highest weight I can maintain straight upper back, scapulas back and all that.

Most PTs are idiots. Most trainers need trainers and most people in a gym don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Two Words

Have you never seen me deadlift before? That's how I do. And look at my grip, I'm not using straps or alternated grip. I'm using hook grip and it's beautiful.

I have small hands too I've heard it actually makes it easier.

If hook grip is putting both hands over the bar, I thought thats just how you are supposed to deadlift.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If hook grip is putting both hands over the bar, I thought thats just how you are supposed to deadlift.

That's not hook grip, that's just double over hand. Hook grip is wrapping your thumb around the bar then pinning it to the bar with your fingers effectively using your thumb as a strap. I suggest you look it up. It's worth knowing.

Top Bottom