• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five #DRIVECLUB beta videos + impressions

jett

D-Member
I'm gonna have to end up getting a PS4 just for the pretties.

iogv9OTUO4gUa.gif

ilKam89yFEc0W.gif

I love how there is no hud. Is that standard then? Just use the dials on the car?

It's an option.

Does this game have a driving line? I can't play racing sims without one.

I have not seen a driving line. This isn't a sim though, and the driving line doesn't seem necessary anyway. There are banners before every curve. Red banners indicate a hard cruve, yellow a medium curve, and green an easy curve.

Saberus

After watching all the new video's, there was a few times that I thought wow this looks real, found myself swaying back and forth when going around corners.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
The sense of speed is immense. I hope it sells enough and they get to make motors storm again. Would be incredible on ps4. Don't want to hear of more studio closures/mass lay offs :(

If impressions are good on here from everyone, about the handling. I'll just buy it

Gonna look so good on my crt. That lighting is just so insane that I can't believe it's in-game.

IMO, it's the most impressive thing I've seen all generation so far, and I've seen Jennifer Lawrence nude.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
This Beta user did more good for the game with his recorded vids than Sony/Evo did for the last year or so.

Great looking game!

I find the comment about the driving being semi realistic and leaning towards sim incredibly difficult to believe.

Every gameplay vid I've seen so far has shown that the car does not behave anywhere near sim.

The braking, turning and acceleration out of slow corners are all very arcade imo.

Project cars id call a sim franchise. Tyre modelling. Tyre wear. Engine wear. WIND modelling. Etc.

Forza/GT id call semi realistic. Heat and tyre modelling. Mechanical damage modelling. You cant just drift through corners to win races. Finding the right braking points, using the right amount of brake pressure, taking the right line through an apex, careful application of the throttle under acceleration etc. Physics arent 100% but are representative of car behaviour.

Driveclub compared to these games is very arcade. The cars do not react realistically and the physics modelling is nowhere near. Watch a video and watch for the super jerkyness of the steering. The cars act like F1 cars with super tight springs and instantly change direction. Videos of high performance cars show really unrealistic accelleration too.

Im not saying the game is bad, im just saying its certainly not what it is being described as here imo.

TJP

I still play the shit out of PGR4 and it has a similar amount of content. If a game is fun, you'll play it just because it is and not just to beat the game or a score or whatever. Same with mechanical damage... kind of gets rid of the trolls who'll be just out to ruin your car/run, but I didn't miss it in the PGR games.
Good man! PGR 4 still looks good on a decent sized Panasonic plasma ;)

As for DriveClub, I'm very impressed with what I've seen. These new videos do look great. Cars look like they have weight and all appear to handle differently.. it sure looks like DC has the fun handling of PGR. My one slight disappointment is noise from shunts could be meatier.

Already had the PS4 with DC on order - these videos verify it was the right idea.

at first i was dissapointed that enviroments are empty and bland especially after forza 4's rich and colorful tracks. but the more i see this game, the more i appreciate the "natural" look of it. it actually reminds me of real life, and how beautiful the fall is, for some reason :p

and add to that that im not really into hardcore sim gameplay of forza (or grand turismo for that matter), driveclub has strong potential to save the day for me. (last driving game i was really into was midnight club, and how many years ago was that now?)

cakefoo

I find the comment about the driving being semi realistic and leaning towards sim incredibly difficult to believe.

Every gameplay vid I've seen so far has shown that the car does not behave anywhere near sim.

The braking, turning and acceleration out of slow corners are all very arcade imo.

Project cars id call a sim franchise. Tyre modelling. Tyre wear. Engine wear. WIND modelling. Etc.

Forza/GT id call semi realistic. Heat and tyre modelling. Mechanical damage modelling. You cant just drift through corners to win races. Finding the right braking points, using the right amount of brake pressure, taking the right line through an apex, careful application of the throttle under acceleration etc. Physics arent 100% but are representative of car behaviour.

Driveclub compared to these games is very arcade. The cars do not react realistically and the physics modelling is nowhere near. Watch a video and watch for the super jerkyness of the steering. The cars act like F1 cars with super tight springs and instantly change direction. Videos of high performance cars show really unrealistic accelleration too.

Im not saying the game is bad, im just saying its certainly not what it is being described as here imo.
A mix of realism and PGR style arcade, leaning more towards realism, he said. Not quite Forza or GT, otherwise he would have simply said so. And from what I've seen of how the cars steer, countersteer and snap, it looks like DC's physics are indeed significantly more realistic than PGR's, but the braking physics, for instance, are obviously no match for GT.

Lego Boss

I was really excited for this and I know Evo do some great AI as Motorstorm was amaze with the variety and the characters involved, but this seems to me a bit processional like GT.

I like my AI to be chopping each other up and swapping positions. I'm not seeing any of that here, whereas with PCars it seems to be the norm (following from Shift).

I know Driveclub is about online racing, but is there any love for the gamers who just wanna play on their own?

Might have to hold off for PS4 purchase until PCars comes out at Christmas and play FH2 on last gen hardware until then . . .

awesome! Great to know that is very realistic race and handling between arcade and simulation. I'm looking forward to this game so much.

Tekku

People are talking so much about the visuals but the sound is what truly stands out in this game. Just the simple tire squeals are amazing. I've never heard nothing like it.

foxbeldin

This looks meh, look at all the jaggies on the powerlines.

It looks amazing. Can't wait. Not even bothering with the free version, retail day one.

Rey

I am so HYPED for this game. I need this sooo baaad. The game looks phenomenal and I'm happy to hear that the handling is semi arcade/sim and leaning more towards realism.

spekkeh

Banned
Can you slip off the road and tumble into the ravine?
There's going to be invisible walls everywhere isn't there :(

Vroadstar

Can you slip off the road and tumble into the ravine?
There's going to be invisible walls everywhere isn't there :(

Yes it's from evolution, yes they made motorstorm. But NO there's no tumbling into the ravine and shattering into millions of pieces with this one.

spekkeh

Banned
Yes it's from evolution, yes they made motorstorm. But NO there's no tumbling into the ravine and shattering into millions of pieces with this one.

It's just, I haven't seen it so far. When I'm driving at 230kmh in a videogame and see a bend on a cliff, I usually go "All right, full speed ahead, geronimoooo".

Top Bottom