• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five #DRIVECLUB beta videos + impressions

boeso

Merciful God those gifs look amazing!!

I can't wait to play this in front of people and watch their reactions...with the HUD off : )

kyser73

The clouds!

The trees!

The dashboards!

The god-tier lighting, which is insanely good - there are periods in all 5 of the vids where it's soooo close to photorealistic.

The sound...I can't...

And...watching this on my TV, the way God & Rushy & Evo intended...the power lines...I had to keep looking at them to see jagged, and while they're there, compared with my PC monitor they were much reduced.

Wanting this game so bad, October can't come soon enough.

How does this game continue to blow me away? Every time I get used to how awesome it looks, new GIFs surface and blow my mind all over again.

ibdEd2hDNVgSSP.gif

I mean, HOLY FUCK!

I wonder how all of those nay-sayers are feeling now, after trolling those low-quality beta screenshots the other day? Gotta love that crow.

Vroadstar

It's just, I haven't seen it so far. When I'm driving at 230kmh in a videogame and see a bend on a cliff, I usually go "All right, full speed ahead, geronimoooo".

Well if that's the case you're in the wrong thread. Try finding the motorstorm thread somewhere, I'm sure you will enjoy it much better : )

I have the biggest grin on my face watching those gameplay videos in the OP.

Not only are the visuals amazing, but the racing actually looks fun too. The sense of speed and the track design is just perfect.

Putty

That looke very exciting to play. Visuals need no more gushing over, though its such a shame the weather won't make it day one. As an overall visual package with the weather included day one, i think would of been such an incredible thing. I do wonder how the weather is going to be incorporated into the events? Just another variable? Dedicated weather related events?

NotUS

Wow, blown away by the sense of speed, the racing looks incredible. The graphics, the lighting, the environments are insane.

Thanks OP, these vids made me pre-order the game, can't wait till release.

Kimosabae

Banned

People keep mentioning the environments in this GIF.

What about the driver's fingers cramping off the steering wheel, relaying the intense concentration the turn is currently demanding? That is insane. Those are the kind of details that force me to attempt to get into the developer's head and wonder what possessed them to even make such a detail a priority. I haven't had this level of stimulation watching a video game in a long-ass time.

This kind of detail and polish seems to be a lost art in the modern industry; with its constrained development cycles and inflated budgets and all. Looking at these GIFs takes me back to the first time I played Goldeneye on the N64. I really don't think most developers/publishers realize how much these nuances add to the experience.

Too bad I don't like driving games.

elfinke

Gee whiz, that's a cracking looking game. Though I've been impressed at every reveal thus far. I think a PS4 will have to find its way under my Christmas tree.

What about the driver's fingers cramping off the steering wheel, relaying the intense concentration the turn is currently demanding? That is insane. Those are the kind of details that force me to attempt to get into the developer's head and wonder what possessed them to even make such a detail a priority. I haven't had this level of stimulation watching a video game in a long-ass time.

That's just the driver changing gears using the paddles (you can see the revs getting down after the shift).

Harmen

I am loving the attention to details in this game. Sense of speed seems good too, judging by the videos. The tracks look really amazing as well. Good to hear the impressions are good so far, looking forward to playing it.

EGOMON

Driveclub videos gets me every god damn time i must have watched DC gameplay videos hundreds of time but everytime i see a new one it leaves in shock at how good looking this game is then it hits me even harder when i remember this is only a 1st gen software it will only get better i just can't comprehend that lol so thank you Sony, Cerny and all Playstation's 1st & 2nd party studios for making these amazing games.

I am terrible at racing games so I just buy them to drive around and look at the pretty graphics while listening to tunes. This will meet my needs well.

The closer we get to the release, the more the fact that I won't be able to play it with my old Logitech FF wheel sinks in, such a shame ;(

Konosuke

What about the driver's fingers cramping off the steering wheel, relaying the intense concentration the turn is currently demanding?

Not really, the driver is just getting ready to up shift using the paddles. Great animation tho.

Yup until the next terrible screenshot/s appears, 1st-2nd page guarantee, you will see "concerns" about #DRIVECLUB.

That was pretty hilarious, a couple of low compressed screenshots, then BOOM, the game was downgraded, it was never going to look good, bullshots, etc.

It's amazing how fast some people are to jump on Driveclub, but when you get good media, like the videos here, they are nowhere to be found....

EGOMON

I find the comment about the driving being semi realistic and leaning towards sim incredibly difficult to believe.

Every gameplay vid I've seen so far has shown that the car does not behave anywhere near sim.

The braking, turning and acceleration out of slow corners are all very arcade imo.

Project cars id call a sim franchise. Tyre modelling. Tyre wear. Engine wear. WIND modelling. Etc.

Forza/GT id call semi realistic. Heat and tyre modelling. Mechanical damage modelling. You cant just drift through corners to win races. Finding the right braking points, using the right amount of brake pressure, taking the right line through an apex, careful application of the throttle under acceleration etc. Physics arent 100% but are representative of car behaviour.

Driveclub compared to these games is very arcade. The cars do not react realistically and the physics modelling is nowhere near. Watch a video and watch for the super jerkyness of the steering. The cars act like F1 cars with super tight springs and instantly change direction. Videos of high performance cars show really unrealistic accelleration too.

Im not saying the game is bad, im just saying its certainly not what it is being described as here imo.

I think by more realistic he meant more serious than NFS because yeah this game is far from sim-style and that a good thing its hybrid

Sweet mother of GOD. That looks Absolutley terrific. My hype just went up sooooo much. Can't wait for this game and the GAF league. Going to be so much fun!

Sounds good, looks alright, but still bumpercars and still dust effects that are just little poofs instead of actual blinding clouds of dust. :\

I dunno, I was kinda hoping we'd get a bit of a better presentation this gen.

EBreda

This kind of detail and polish seems to be a lost art in the modern industry; with its constrained development cycles and inflated budgets and all. Looking at these GIFs takes me back to the first time I played Goldeneye on the N64. I really don't think most developers/publishers realize how much these nuances add to the experience.

Too bad I don't like driving games.

It's only the shifting.
Forza 5 has what you describe though. Driver moving his fingers from time to time even when not shifting. It adds to the overall experience no doubt about it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this is the best looking game ever. by a country mile. its amazing that the environments are so fully complete AND look nearly CG/real in quality. tons of details with virtually no "videogamey artifacts". to top it off it looks to have maybe the best, most natural lighting ever seen too, which really seals the look together. stunning stuff. wish i had a ps4 just to marvel at this in all its glory.

My Samsung led is 50 by default if I turn it to 0 it's a blurry mess lol

You want to stop your TV from adding additional sharpening. For some TVs that means sharpness at 0 and in others sharpness at 50. For your TV it sounds like 50=0 so leave it there.

This game is looking very impressive and might get me to put FFXIV aside for a little time (and resub to Plus).

Top Bottom