• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn looks pretty cool

Or as I like to call it, Zendaya:The adventures of black Taki
AnimatedFormalHackee-size_restricted.gif
RaggedBogusJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

GenuineClearcutAsp-size_restricted.gif
ClumsyObeseBudgie-size_restricted.gif

ThinBruisedHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif
MiniatureSplendidKronosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Easily one of my games of the show, and another day one on Game Pass. There was this move when they dodged via double jump in mid air, dodging this flying attacks. So sick!

sol_bad

This game looked pretty bad. The movement, animation and gameplay all looked like a below-average indie game, but wants to look like a AAA game. We will have to see more, but I'd be shocked if this game turns out well.

IMO the animations are one of the highlights for me, very smooth. How that translates into game play is yet to be seen though.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I don't know why but the first thing that came to mind upon viewing the trailer was victorian god of war. Has anyone called it god of woke yet?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This is from the team that made Ashen if not mistaken, right ?
This game looks really interesting to me. I can't wait to play it. Is it true it's from the same people that made Ashen? I liked Ashen a lot so that makes it even more appealing to me.

Aion002

Seems awesome. I just hope that I can tolerate the awkward movements.

Greedfall also looked awesome to me at first... But the animations and controls made the game unplayable to me.

Has that AA jank.
Day 1 if theres nothing else to play when it comes out. Also, Forspoken has that budget going for it cant really compare the two like when Easy Allies did I was like wtf.

pasterpl

Looks sort of like forspoken clone.

Open world action RPG Flintlock The Siege of Dawn received a new gameplay showing at the Xbox and Bethesda Showcase.

From developer A44, the creator of Ashen, the game features third person gun and axe combat, plus a cute familiar companion who joins in combat and can be ridden through the air.

The game is set for release in 2023 on PC (Steam, Epic), Xbox consoles, PS5, and PS4. It'll hit Gamepass too.

Gandih42

Looks a little on the janky side but otherwise pretty cool. I like the implementation of a dodge/double jump being a (gunpowder?) explosion from the left hand and the fox creature. I also like the setting, seems like north African inspired environments with magic, which you don't get all that often.

Looking forward to more gameplay details on this. Haven't played Ashen but it seemed to get a lot of positive buzz so hopeful about this too.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
This game looked pretty bad. The movement, animation and gameplay all looked like a below-average indie game, but wants to look like a AAA game. We will have to see more, but I'd be shocked if this game turns out well.
I wouldn't be shocked if the game turned out great, I loved their last game ashen :)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I hope it isnt too long.
But im def interested in getting through this

Looks sort of like forspoken clone.
It reminded me of Forspoken with it's unique traversal and magical abilities. Though this looks much more palatable and interesting if I'm being honest.

Because its a black female character lead?
It looks closer to being a Soulsbourne clone than a Forspoken clone.

Does Forspoken even have melee combat?

Kimahri

Banned
Seems awesome. I just hope that I can tolerate the awkward movements.

Greedfall also looked awesome to me at first... But the animations and controls made the game unplayable to me.

This makes me so sad on your behalf. You missed one hell of an adventure. Your life is emptier now.

GymWolf

I hope it isnt too long.
But im def interested in getting through this

Because its a black female character lead?
It looks closer to being a Soulsbourne clone than a Forspoken clone.

Does Forspoken even have melee combat?
It has something similar to second son, very simple.

But yeah it looks more like nier automata meet soulslike than forspoken.

Chukhopops

I liked what they showed but I really thought Ashen was shit (thank God I played it on GP as I intended to buy it initially).

Combat also seemed a bit slow but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yeah, we need indies to evolve take risks and aim for AA games. Don't listen to critics complaining when measuring them against AAA.

Otherwise indies will always resort to making Metroidvanias, top down roguelikes and other lower budget games.
Indies need to fill that spot of the quirky AA game with a 8 to 10 hour campaign. Let AAA take care of the bloated open world genre.

Robb

Gold Member
Reminded me of Forspoken with a less annoying protagonist. Wish it had a bit more color to it though.

Chukhopops

You're in GAF. If it isn't AAA and took 5 years and cost 200 mil do develop it ain't worth anyone's time and looks like trash.
It’s sad because AAA is not where you’ll see a lot of experimentation and risk taking. You have to make something for the largest common denominator. You have to make a story that is easy to understand, will not shock anyone and will go for common tropes.

To each their own but I can’t imagine playing only AAA games and rejecting the rest, you’d miss so much creativity and originality in the stories and gameplay.

SirTerry-T

Looked a bit rough around the edges...ainimations, etc but I love the Colonial/Victoriana/Africana mashup that can be seen in the characters and world design. Hoping the final product does the the cool concept justice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom