• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. loses welterweight title due to not paying a $200,000 fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been stripped of his latest belt.

The World Boxing Organization has revoked the legendary boxer of the welterweight world title he earned during his pay-per-view fight against Manny Pacquiao that broke all financial records and TV ratings for a boxing match.

Mayweather, who holds a 48-0 boxing record, missed Friday’s deadline to pay a $200,000 sanctioning fee. The WBO requires boxers to share a percentage of their earnings with the organization. Mayweather made more than $220 million from the Pacquiao fight.

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/floyd-mayweather-jr-loses-title-manny-pacquiao-fight-1201535230/

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter due to how much money he made during the fight, but I think this funny. Losing a belt due to not paying $200,000.

FStop7

Banned
I wonder if it was accidental or if he just doesn't care.

On Instagram lately he posts nothing but flyers for nightclub appearances. Kinda lowbrow for a dude who pulled 9 figures.

FqKxSDB.gif

Maybe he already spent all his money and doesn't have $200.000...

On Instagram lately he posts nothing but flyers for nightclub appearances. Kinda lowbrow for a dude who pulled 9 figures.

Uh oh. LOL.

mnannola

Floyd doesn't give a shit. No one respects the belts, he would have just as many PPV views fighting for zero belts as he would have fight for all of them.

I doubt the dude cares about much aside from money. Does he have a good financial team around him or is he going to be in "30 for 30: broke part 2" in ten years?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It's intentional. They also were forcing him to vacate two titles he holds in a higher weight class in order to keep their belt. By telling the WBO to fuck off he can hold titles in multiple weight classes because he's already got another welterweight title. Even if he needed the help promoting what few fights he has left, having those belts would mean more than having a second welterweight title.

So it's either abandon all of your titles in a class other than welterweight and still not be the undisputed welterweight champion, or keep your higher weight class belts along with the two welterweight titles he already had, and save $200K out of pocket. He isn't fighting much more in his career and who knows what weight class it will/would be at. The belts don't mean nearly as much as his name on the marquee at this point either, so there's really no reason for him to bother with the WBO belt.

So who owns the belt then?

I would assume that the belt is vacant and if he doesn't appeal then they'll hold a competition among the best boxers in the weight class to see who should be the next champion.

Timothy Bradley, the previous #1 ranked welterweight according to WBO, has been named the new champion.

Gemüsepizza;171212513 said:
Maybe he already spent all his money and doesn't have $200.000...

Uh oh. LOL.

Isn't he a heavy gambler? I remember him posting stuff about gambling on his Facebook account, but I haven't checked in a long time.

Ponn

Banned
Floyd doesn't give a shit. No one respects the belts, he would have just as many PPV views fighting for zero belts as he would have fight for all of them.

Maybe, it's still stupid not to pay that fee compared to how much he made and could make though. I'm sure his payday for fights would be higher if he was holding the belt.

VoxPop

I doubt he gives a crap about any one of those belts since they have no meaning. It doesn't affect him at all in terms of his legacy. Better he saves that 200K for buying his entourage dinner than giving it to the scummy commission.

Kreed

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/floyd-mayweather-jr-loses-title-manny-pacquiao-fight-1201535230/

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter due to how much money he made during the fight, but I think this funny. Losing a belt due to not paying $200,000.

As Archaix mentioned:

According to Ryan O'Hara of ThaBoxingVoice.com, Mayweather declined to pay the $200,000 sanctioning fee for the title by the deadline. Also, he decided against vacating the WBA and WBC junior middleweight titles, which was necessary since boxers are not permitted to hold world championships in multiple weight classes, per Chris Williams of BoxingNews24.com.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ly-to-be-stripped-of-wbo-147-pound-title-belt

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What a clown. What is that like .001% of what he made? Fuck outta here with that shit.

How is he a clown? They demand he pays to have the "honor" of wearing their belt (out of about 19 boxing titles that exist, their's is the prettiest I guess) and want a large chunk of his purse just so he can be recognized as champion in their eyes. Or he can continue being recognized as the best by multiple other organizations who think he's the best across multiple weight classes, as opposed to WBO's restrictive rules that say he would have had to throw away two titles he already has.

FStop7

Banned
It's intentional. They also were forcing him to vacate two titles he holds in a higher weight class in order to keep their belt. By telling the WBO to fuck off he can hold titles in multiple weight classes because he's already got another welterweight title. Even if he needed the help promoting what few fights he has left, having those belts would mean more than having a second welterweight title.

So it's either abandon all of your titles in a class other than welterweight and still not be the undisputed welterweight champion, or keep your higher weight class belts along with the two welterweight titles he already had, and save $200K out of pocket. He isn't fighting much more in his career and who knows what weight class it will/would be at. The belts don't mean nearly as much as his name on the marquee at this point either, so there's really no reason for him to bother with the WBO belt.

Okay, now this makes sense. The title he won from Pac was obviously an afterthought at best. When the fight was over I don't think a single word was said about it.

shaowebb

Honestly I think with a 48-0 record and all the money he's mastered making off fights I see this as one big marketing tactic.

No way did he not pay the fee by accident. After Pacman who was left? No one. That was THE fight folks wanted from him at this point and it disappointed. He had no way to draw after that...unless it was a title challenge for him to regain his belt.

This was his plan all along IMO. If he lost to Pacman the rematch for the title would make him a killing. If he won, he could simply not give the required cut to the league, lose the belt by default and STILL get to challenge for the belt in a title bout and make a killing.

Win Win for Money Mayweather. No way did he not plan this.

Amory

I think he basically said "I have a couple belts already, let someone else have this one".

It wasn't about the money

dankir

whoa wait the fight made him 220 million???

Its his own company that put the fight together, promotion, PPV contract, food drinks.He made money off of everything related to the fight. EVERYTHING. It was the highest priced PPV event ever and it lots of fucking people ordered it!

He made 220 and I think Pac-man pulled 100 - 120 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom