• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to face Andre Berto on September 12th at MGM Grand

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

VpTW0h0.jpg

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, four months removed from his historic victory against Manny Pacquiao in the richest fight in boxing history, said Tuesday he will return to defend his welterweight world titles against Andre Berto on September 12th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) has repeatedly said the fight, which will be televised on Showtime PPV, will be the final fight of his brilliant 19-year career.

The bout is the last on a six-fight deal he signed with Showtime/CBS in 2013.

"I'm ready to get back in the ring on Sept. 12 and prove again to the whole world why I'm the best ever," Mayweather said. "I always bring my A-game and this fight against Andre Berto is no exception.

"He's a young, strong fighter who is hungry to take down the best," Mayweather added. "Forty-eight have tried before and on Sept. 12, I'm going to make it 49."

Berto (30-3, 23 KOs), a two-time welterweight world titleholder, who currently holds an interim belt, is just 3-3 in his past six bouts and viewed by many as an easy mark for Mayweather.

He will be a massive underdog but said he plans to knock Mayweather off his undefeated perch.

"I'm coming to kick Floyd's ass on Sept. 12," Berto said. "Best believe that I plan to bring it to Floyd and I'm not concerned about what 48 other fighters have been unable to do. Somebody is getting knocked out and it won't be me. You don't want to miss this."

Sports Book William Hill, which originally opened Mayweather as a minus-1,600 favorite two weeks ago, had odds of Mayweather -2,400 / Berto +1,200 on Tuesday after the announcement of the fight. William Hill reported early action has been one-sided, in favor of Mayweather.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/13377557/floyd-mayweather-return-ring-sept-12-vs-andre-berto

I was hoping for Amir Khan :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its a sad state of affairs when Mayweather openly fights a can and will likely make $100m in the process

OctoMan

Banned
Such a boring fight. Would even rather see Pacific again. Or Amir Khan who looked like complete shit last fight.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
"He's a young, strong fighter who is hungry to take down the best,"

lol, he's 32.

Berto is a bum who has lost 3 of his last 6 fights. I'm sure it will be a tune up for another mega money 50th "final" fight, with his showtime contract ending and all.

Wow what a weak matchup. I love floyd as a fighter but this is just guaranteed easy for mayweather

His best fight in years was with maidana imo

FZZ

Banned
I thought Khan was supposed to fight him

Also Mayweather is going to stop at 49? Why not just do one more fight for the perfect 50-0.

I'd have rather seen a Canelo rematch. I won't be buying this PPV and I don't see many others buying it either. Regardless, congrats on #49 Floyd.

People, this isnt his final fight. This is his "final fight" before he makes hes grand decision to go for the mythical 50-0 against Manny as his real last fight.

Frog-fu

Banned
Haters are so predictable.

They hype Figher X to beat Mayweather, and when Fighter X gets made to look like a rank amateur, Fighter X suddenly ain't no longer a worthy competitor (he's old, out of his prime, he a bum, he can't fight, etc.), but Fighter Y will definitely take down Mayweather, the dodging coward!

Every time.

harSon

Banned
Khan is no better of a fight. At least Berto has the speed to keep up with Mayweather, although defensively he's ass cheeks. Khan's weak chin wouldn't really come into play since Mayweather's hands are shot.

He's only doing it so that people don't remember his last fight being him just running around the ring.

1432496120.jpg

even though it seemed that way Floyd's strategy tore down Manny, it was interesting to see Floyd's counterpunching at work. Everyone expected a fast flurry and win by Manny but it didn't materialize. Instead it was a "shoulder" issue.
He may have seemed like running but even as Lennox Lewis said "it's textbook Mayweather"

H1JSp0r.jpg

REjSXeZ.jpg

even though it seemed that way Floyd's strategy tore down Manny, it was interesting to see Floyd's counterpunching at work. Everyone expected a fast flurry and win by Manny but it didn't materialize. Instead it was a "shoulder" issue.
He may have seemed like running but even as Lennox Lewis said "it's textbook Mayweather"

H1JSp0r.jpg

REjSXeZ.jpg
Beautiful

We gonna pretend Khan is all that good? He's lost and struggled to lesser fighters than Floyd. He got no shot.

It's not so much a matter of whether he has a shot or not but the fact that Khan Mayweather would be a far better watch. Hate Khan or love him he pretty much guarantees entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom