• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26 - It's on!

In what world is Conor McGregor a bigger draw then Floyd Mayweather?

First of all, I never said Connor was a bigger draw (although that is debatable), I said your suggestion that Floyd was "by far" a bigger draw is absolutely wrong. In their last four fights:

Mayweather vs Maidana- 900k
Mayweather vs Maidana II- 925k
Mayweather vs Pacquiao- 4.6m
Mayweather vs Berto- 400k

McGregor vs Aldo- 1.2m
McGregor vs. Diaz- 1.5m
McGregor vs Diaz II- 1.65m
McGregor vs Alvarez- 1.3m

Floyd needed a fight people wanted for years (and a guy who sold PPV's on his own) to break a million buys. Floyd wants Connor BECAUSE he sells fights on his own. Connor cutting promos against and fighting a trash can would get a million buys.

Eanan

xtlN74m.jpg

LOL

Nate is still holding on to that tiny bit of fame he has thanks to McGregor, he isnt even relevant anymore.

Marble mouth should just stop.

zewone

In their last four fights:

Mayweather vs Maidana- 900k
Mayweather vs Maidana II- 925k
Mayweather vs Pacquiao- 4.6m
Mayweather vs Berto- 400k

McGregor vs Aldo- 1.2m
McGregor vs. Diaz- 1.5m
McGregor vs Diaz II- 1.65m
McGregor vs Alvarez- 1.3m

Floyd needed a fight people wanted for years to break a million buys. Floyd wants Connor BECAUSE he sells fights on his own. Connor cutting promos against and fighting a trash can can get a million buys.
Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true.

Maoyama

Banned
I think some basic context is important to what is gonna happen in this fight. Here are three of Conor McGregor's most famous Ko's

Aldo:
aldo-mcgregor-ufc-fight-gif-2.gif

Buchinger:
tumblr_mzodrubto51ry1rm7o2_r1_400.gif

Alvarez:
$

They all share the same basic structure. McGregor steps back just enough to avoud the strike and throws a left hook while his oppnent is recover from a lunging right straight. All of these KOs have his opponent push their head off their center of gravity and fall face in with their hands down while McGregor punches them and knocks them out.

This is Canelo doing a similar thing in boxing:
ScaryPresentCrocodile-size_restricted.gif

He doesnt wait for his opponent to fall into his strike. If you notice, he recovers guard almost immediately which forces Canelo to throw an uppercut, recognize that a followup is possible and evade the counter hook. If you look at McGregor vs Aldo you will see Aldos left hook connect and cut connor above the eye, even if he is already Ko. Conor doesnt seem to have that sense of recognizing the openings in a split second, throwing and then recovering defense.

And just for funsies, this is the speed at which boxers throw punches when they can read their opponent easily.
xeh0fiq-imgur.gif

Conor McGregor never fights MMA again after this.

Yeah, unless Conor is contractually obligated to fight after this, it's really hard to see how UFC or Dana get him back into the cage after this. UFC pay is basically scraps compared to what he's going to get for this one fight. He'll make more off of this than he has in his entire MMA career.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Right. Not sure how many rounds this is. Let's say 8 (maybe 12??). If it's 8, that's 24 minutes of boxing, assuming we're going by standard pro round length. UFC is what, 3 five minute rounds? 9 minutes is a lot more of an increase than some people may think. Especially if Conor ACTUALLY decides to go for it and try to win....against one of the greatest defenders in history.

Congrats to both guys for scoring a payday, but real talk, there's no way he beats Mayweather in a real throwdown (in boxing).

Most of us know this. Mayweather isn't a dude who usually knocks folks out, and McGregor is a dude who usually does. Conor would have to expel a lot of energy to try to knock out Floyd, and I just don't see it happening. He'll be tired out way before then. Mayweather doesn't need to take any real risks - he's the master in the arena. He'll piss off everyone with the way he defensively fights like he always does, and it will be totally on Conor whether he wants to risk trying to rush in and land a haymaker, or stay in the cut and out point Floyd.

The cards are absolutely stacked against Conor. The ONLY way I see Floyd losing, is him training half ass and going in soft. However I think Floyd's ego is too big to lose to Conor, so Conor is going to lose.

Even though in the end, Conor still wins. Get that money, McGregor.

zewone

Yeah, unless Conor is contractually obligated to fight after this, it's really hard to see how UFC or Dana get him back into the cage after this. UFC pay is basically scraps compared to what he's going to get for this one fight. He'll make more off of this than he has in his entire MMA career.

20 million American dollars is table scraps.

The guy can live off the money he makes off this fight no doubt, but he likes to spend money, loves to fight, and hasn't hit the prime of his physicality yet.

I see him fighting again, win or lose.

This "real fighters" discussion in this thread has been very strange, as though there is some kind of pride to be drawn from being a street brawler.

I think Mayweather will stop him in mid to late rounds. He won't have the power to sleep him of course but I think he'll simply outwork and overwhelm him with accurate punches. Mayweather probably can't believe that he's about to be gifted another $100m+ purse at the end of his career in what might be his easiest fight ever...

Mostly looking forward to finding out what kind of shit these two can conjure up to hype this fight over the coming weeks but gutted too because I don't see how Conor goes back to the UFC after this. Would be a real shame because his fights and the general 'don't give a fuck' approach he brings to the UFC are great.

Is it possible that they have some kind of deal with him where he has to go back and do 2/3 fights?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

The guy can live off the money he makes off this fight no doubt, but he likes to spend money, loves to fight, and hasn't hit the prime of his physicality yet.

20 million USD is... table scraps.

Ok.

After getting delicately but entirely outclassed by Mayweather for $80 million, it's gonna be tough to go fight fucking El Cucuy for $4 million (if that). This is the end of the line.

Good for him, though. It's a hilarious story in modern sports.

zewone

20 million USD is... table scraps.

Ok.

20 million dollars is 20 million dollars.

There's no other fight he can make (unless he wins) that would make him this kind of money again.

So you think he doesn't want to make 20 million because it's better to wait for 100 million? From who?

Chumley

Banned
I think it depends entirely on his performance vs. Floyd. If he gets knocked out, he's 100 percent fighting in the UFC again. If he loses by decision, it's debatable. If he knocks him out, he's never stepping foot in the UFC again.

He wants to get out, but he doesn't want to get out on a humiliating note regardless of pay.

zewone

That's a lot of money he would be leaving on the table to retire at 28 years old.

I don't think his spending habits, ego or passion would allow him to sit on the sidelines.

Maoyama

Banned

Kevin Iole estimate the share of PPV Conor would get. Right of the bat the cable companies get 50% and the distributor gets 7.5%. Mayweather-Pacquiao split the purse 60-40 in favor of Mayweather. Lets assume UFC/Conor have enought clout to get that same deal. We are down to 17%. Dana White came out saying he would favor a 25-75 split in favor of Conor Mcgregor for their share of the pie. So that means Conor gets 12.75% of the gross PPV.

Assuming records are broken and they sell 4 million PPVs at $80 each, this leaves Conor McGregor with $40 million dollars. This is a shit ton of money and probably 3-4 times what he made in his last fight. But it is not exponentially more than he is making right now.

20m is an unprecedented purse by UFC standards. He made 12m from the Diaz fight according to reports. Only fight that could get close to that would be GSP.

It's impossible to know what he will do but not many fighters go back to earning fractions once 1) they don't need to 2) they have nothing to prove. Not sure either of those apply to Conor regardless of what happens.

zewone

Kevin Iole estimate the share of PPV Conor would get. Right of the bat the cable companies get 50% and the distributor gets 7.5%. Mayweather-Pacquiao split the purse 60-40 in favor of Mayweather. Lets assume UFC/Conor have enought clout to get that same deal. We are down to 17%. Dana White came out saying he would favor a 25-75 split in favor of Conor Mcgregor for their share of the pie. So that means Conor gets 12.75% of the gross PPV.

Assuming records are broken and they sell 4 million PPVs at $80 each, this leaves Conor McGregor with $40 million dollars. This is a shit ton of money and probably 3-4 times what he made in his last fight. But it is not exponentially more than he is making right now.

PPV is $100 and likely to break May/Pac records and hit 5 million buys, but your point still stands.

Conor just doesn't strike me as a guy that's sorta a lifer in the sport. He seems pretty smart and also fairly family oriented. Which is key as his girlfriend just had a son in May. Now he's taking a fight that will set them up for life. It's a fight that he actively pushed for and completely ignoring any potential UFC fights in the process.

I guess I could see him fighting again, but only under a circumstance where it'd make him a lot of money. Last year the UFC disclosed that Conor made 1m off the fight with Nate (he got 500k). That's obviously minus whatever additional incentives he has in his contract. That was a big deal for the UFC as it's the first time a fighter has ever had a 1m purse. That would be a massive downgrade for Conor after what he's about to get. So, it's hard to see him going back without them creating some sorta special match that could generate enough buzz to change the cash he'd get. Or unless they're just willing to give him a lot more money per fight just to pull in the PPV numbers that he can do.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
You're saying Conor losing a boxing fight to arguably the greatest defensive boxer of all time means the fight is rigged? :/

I'm saying it doesn't matter who he was going to fight. At this point I think his legacy is more important to him than the payday.

Shadybiz

UFC title fights are five 5 minute rounds = 25 minutes

Fair. I stand corrected. But...see this guy:

Most of us know this. Mayweather isn't a dude who usually knocks folks out, and McGregor is a dude who usually does. Conor would have to expel a lot of energy to try to knock out Floyd, and I just don't see it happening. He'll be tired out way before then. Mayweather doesn't need to take any real risks - he's the master in the arena. He'll piss off everyone with the way he defensively fights like he always does, and it will be totally on Conor whether he wants to risk trying to rush in and land a haymaker, or stay in the cut and out point Floyd.

The cards are absolutely stacked against Conor. The ONLY way I see Floyd losing, is him training half ass and going in soft. However I think Floyd's ego is too big to lose to Conor, so Conor is going to lose.

Even though in the end, Conor still wins. Get that money, McGregor.

Yeah pretty much. Mayweather still has him on defense. There's no way that Conor doesn't wear himself out, and either get KO'd due to being low on stamina, or just lose in decision.

It should be noted that I hate Mayweather...but that doesn't change the fact that he's going to 100% outclass the guy in skill. Those gifs above here are great and everything, but if one thinks that Mayweather is going to overextend himself and get caught in the jaw so easily, one has another think coming.

Jerm411

The latest analysts say otherwise:

Lj30hVxl.png

Analysts and charts are wrong all the time...I think we Americans should understand that better than anyone.

Hell maybe it will...I just don't see it, esp. if they charge $80-$100.

I think it could push 4 mil. though...

BadAss2961

PPV is $100 and likely to break May/Pac records and hit 5 million buys, but your point still stands.
I don't see it happening. May/Pac was so big due to years of hype and people really believing Floyd would lose.

"Fight of the Century" vs "Money Fight". One has epic promise, the other is unabashed spectacle. There just aren't enough people who think this will be competitive for turnout to be so good.

The fallout of May/Pac might also hurt this one. Lots of angry casuals swore off giving Floyd their money again.

I think there's only one man who could get Conor back into the Octagon after he gets thrashed in August: Floyd Mayweather.

Mayweather is almost certainly too proud to go for it. But they could each make another lifetime's worth of money by having an MMA contest after the boxing match. (There would be some drop-off in interest, no doubt. But you'd still be talking about 2-3 million buys, most likely.) Conor could appropriately savage Floyd, they'd each have won in their respective discipline, and they could go retire together.

As I said, I don't think it'll happen, because Mayweather won't have the inclination. But it's the only situation I can imagine seeing Conor in the Octagon again.

I think some basic context is important to what is gonna happen in this fight. Here are three of Conor McGregor's most famous Ko's

Aldo:
aldo-mcgregor-ufc-fight-gif-2.gif

Buchinger:
tumblr_mzodrubto51ry1rm7o2_r1_400.gif

Alvarez:
$

They all share the same basic structure. McGregor steps back just enough to avoud the strike and throws a left hook while his oppnent is recover from a lunging right straight. All of these KOs have his opponent push their head off their center of gravity and fall face in with their hands down while McGregor punches them and knocks them out.

This is Canelo doing a similar thing in boxing:
ScaryPresentCrocodile-size_restricted.gif

He doesnt wait for his opponent to fall into his strike. If you notice, he recovers guard almost immediately which forces Canelo to throw an uppercut, recognize that a followup is possible and evade the counter hook. If you look at McGregor vs Aldo you will see Aldos left hook connect and cut connor above the eye, even if he is already Ko. Conor doesnt seem to have that sense of recognizing the openings in a split second, throwing and then recovering defense.

And just for funsies, this is the speed at which boxers throw punches when they can read their opponent easily.
xeh0fiq-imgur.gif
I can see what you mean but Conor does not cover up like that, his style is low arms to draw in opponents. I would describe his fighting style predictive rather than reactionary, he pushes fighters until they over extend and he can make that KO pattern. He can do it because he has an impeccable understanding of distance and timing. Its a reason he rarely ever gets touched in the first two rounds of a fight.

Whether that translates to fighting a master like Mayweather remains to be seen

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm only in it for the promos. This is some once in a lifetime shit. Floyd's gonna kill this guy. Conor gets winded after like 5 minutes.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
my head says mayweather but my heart says connor. Mayweather isnt just fighting Conor he is also fighting father time, and thats a fight sometimes you cant win. This is boxing people, anyhting can happen. It takes one lick to rattle a man and then potentially put him down.

I'm only in it for the promos. This is some once in a lifetime shit. Floyd's gonna kill this guy. Conor gets winded after like 5 minutes.

There is a lot less movement in boxing. No kicking, wrestling or grappling to drain you quickly and rounds last five straight minutes instead of three

So essentially a five round UFC fight is the equivalent of 8-9 rounds of boxing with more chance to catch your breath and recover

The shorter rounds probably suit Conor's style and stamina a bit better TBH

Anth0ny

Conor wants a percentage ownership of the UFC.

They'll probably have to give him that if they ever want him to fight again in UFC.

gogogow

You mean when Conor jumped from 145 straight to 170 and fighting a zombie? Conor never gassed once when fighting at 145 and 155, which is his natural weight class.

Nate is still holding on to that tiny bit of fame he has thanks to McGregor, he isnt even relevant anymore.

He beat the fuck out of Michael Johnson who's not bad and he has a top tier ground game.
He made a name for himself long before Conor's 15 minutes.

gogogow

Put your money where your mouth is, Conor Stans.

For $200, you're getting $10,000 winnings.

I'm quite interesting in knowing when tickets go on sale.

I'm not a gambler and never done this before. So i'm not sure how this works.
On oddshark.com, they have Floyd at -800 and Conor at +500. If you bet $800 on Floyd, you'll get $100 when he wins. If you bet $100 on Conor, you will get $500, if Conor wins.

You said $10,000, should it not be $1000? Or do different gambling sites offer different odds and payouts?

TheTurboFD

Why should he? He beat Conor the first time and Conor barely won the second time to a guy who has boxing experience no where mayweathers level. If Conors boxing training videos are any indication of his ability in the ring then Nate is right.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm in for $100.

The slim chance of $5k is worth it.

dammit I might have to jump in on this. There's basically no chance that Mayweather will lose. Conor is stepping into the dragon's den. The dragon has fought all of the knights that thought they had a chance, and this new dude who's never even been a squire is walking in having NEVER fought a dragon. Ever.

Closer to August if you're still interested we might have to post up paypal addresses. We might have a little wager going.

Top Bottom