• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fluidity/Hydroventure: Spin Cycle |OT| Makes Me Wet

NeoRausch

ah man, I still need to buy this game!
that reminds me: Nintendo, why u no have unified accounts?!
i mean serious, there is money on my Wiiu, I can search for 3DS-Software on the Wiiu eshop and both devices are locked onto a Nintendo account.

Where is the missing link here? it feels like they only need to switch it on somewhere. Maybe they don't know it doesn't work...

Yuterald

WOW! This game! Holy shit, I figured I'd dig this, but I didn't know it was going to feel/play this well/good! I was a big fan of the original Fluidity on Wii, but from the first 8 stages I played of 3DS one, it destroys it! Talk about a polished, tight package. I love the fact that they finally gave context to your water and the world/stages. Call it a guilty pleasure or whatever, but I love mascot/icon platformers. Your little water guy looks like he was pulled straight out of Dewey's Adventure on the Wii (which is a game that I fucking loved). Sure, he's a little dopey looking, but I'd rather have something like this than nothing at all. I do wish they could get a better artist for their storyboard characters though. The wizard in the intro looks like he's out of some knock off Disney (Yen Sid) cartoon that would air on Fox Kids. That just comes with the territory/pedigree/developer, I suppose. Anyway, there's so much great detail in the background too compared to the original. The colors/visuals just look so rich and detailed. The trees and bushes sway in the breeze, the animations of the stage assets (the dinosaurs) look great, it's all pretty classy.

This feels like one of those perfect late 90's, early-to-mid 2000's platformers. These guys, Curve Studios, definitely get it. I swear, I feel like Nintendo of Japan (I know that NOA published it here) had some sort of hand in the crafting of this though. It just feels too well designed. It almost feels like a Nintendo developed game (just like the Wii one did, at times). These Fluidity games (especially this one) feel like they have had their ideas/stages funneled through to Nintendo of Japan for some sort of quality control, hah! I mean, I could totally be wrong, but I refuse to believe that a London based studio, who have only developed Explodemon, Stealth Bastard, and some PSP Buzz games, could craft something like this solely on their own. I'm curious what the credits will show. Regardless, this game shot RIGHT up there alongside Crimson Shroud and Mighty Switch Force. The eShop's been on fire! =D

Edit: Oh, and I forgot. The music is pretty good too. The title screen/menu makes sounds STRAIGHT out of Bomberman 64. I swear, whoever is the composer, they're using the same exact lead synth/key (or is it the bass?). Just listen to this track from B64 and then boot up Spin Cycle. I think you will here what I'm talking about. I love it! Green Garden

Scanna

yeah it is very very good, i just reviewed it for the website i work in...actually i don't like that much the graphics, but I think that the rest is just marvelous

Platy

WOW! This game! Holy shit, I figured I'd dig this, but I didn't know it was going to feel/play this well/good! I was a big fan of the original Fluidity on Wii, but from the first 8 stages I played of 3DS one, it destroys it! Talk about a polished, tight package.

So I shall ask to you ... is this as metroidvania as Fluidity or it has a more linear level design ?

Yuterald

So I shall ask to you ... is this as metroidvania as Fluidity or it has a more linear level design ?

It's way more linear and stage focused than its Wii brother. There's no multi-screen world/level where you could attack/explore in multiple ways. It makes sense that they went this way with the 3DS title because of the portable/pick up and play nature. It's like the Paper Mario: Sticker Star philosophy here. Smaller, more focused stages, but brimming with details and tight, clever ideas. The level design is as good (if not better) than the original. There are still puzzle pieces to collect and secret areas to find in the stages, but it's kept to a minimal (there's no secret Rainbow Drops/Spirits to collect nor are there optional flowers to find). You do need to backtrack to old levels with new power ups/upgrades to find some of these puzzle pieces too so there's still a bit of that "metroidvania" flavor lingering around. It's more like there's reasons to return to previous levels to uncover new goodies.

There's also a ranking system too based on how much water you collected/withheld and the amount of time taken to complete the stage. It's a pretty cool addition to the game considering the new structure. And there's now bosses! I just fought my first boss and it was really cool! If you liked the original game or you just dig 2D platformers in general, this is a MUST BUY!

Chopper

Did anyone finish this bad boy yet? I've been distracted by Paper Mario, but I imagine 100%ing is gonna take a while!

Top Bottom