• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fontier Gate (PSP, Tri-Ace x Konami) [Update: Trailer]

Takao

Banned
Update:

Alextended said:

Original:

As reported here earlier today, Star Ocean developer tri-Ace is teaming up with Konami for multiple projects. One of those is for the PSP and is titled Frontier Gate.

Revealed in this week's Famitsu (via Sokuho @ Hokanko), Frontier Gate is an original multiplayer RPG. Three players can play together over ad-hoc, with each player controlling their main character and a partner character, making for a party of six.

The story surrounds a "Frontier" which was discovered by two frontiersmen. Worried that the various countries of the world would fight over control of this area, the two frontiersmen formed a guild to explore its depths. The characters you control are newcomer members of that guild.

Depending on the partner character you select, you'll get a different story. Famitsu introduces three partner characters:

Alettio: A young man with slick black hair who joined the guild around the same time as the main character. He wields a dual sword.
Reinvout: An instructor to newcomer guild members. He uses a single handed sword. He's said to be the hero for the next generation.
Dizzy: A second generation female adventurer. She makes use of a mace.

Details are scarce on the game's combat system. Although you may be getting a Monster Hunter feeling from the premise, combat is actually turn-based, with an RPG-like command battle system.

By performing combos, you can build up a "Boost AP" meter. This can be used to perform a variety of skills.

Further details on the battle system will come in a future update.

Famitsu has an interview with tri-Ace CEO Yoshiharu Gotanda and Konami producer Shingo Mukaitouge. The two revealed that the game was made with multiplayer in mind. The turn-based battle mechanics and the AP system came after the decision to make a multiplayer game. They're working to make it so that the game will have good tempo.

Single player is included as well. Both multiplayer and single player take place in the same world. Gotanda noted that if you raise your partner character into a healer, you may have difficulty in single player.

As one might expect, the game will offer plenty of customization options. Your can customize your main character fully, down to the face. The partner characters can be customized with weapons and clothing and in other areas.

The game includes 15 partner characters. By playing with each of the partners, you'll see the full story.

Development on Frontier Gate is currently at 80%. A release is planned for some time this year.

Andriasang

7L8u9.jpg

2LSNh.jpg

sbLsh.jpg

OvGxx.jpg

6v3jd.jpg

8RAgr.jpg

TfsPZ.jpg

J69gq.jpg

PYZVr.jpg

1OWOK.jpg

7qoyb.jpg

RqZsr.jpg

kaOj0.jpg

ePRmP.jpg

GgC5k.jpg

aoye1.jpg

vMYAI.jpg

Famitsu

CG looks kind of nice I guess.

yencid

i wonder... why didnt they wait for NGP?

aahhhh its almost done in development.

EDIT: I just realized.... lol @ the HUD

Aeana

ZoddGutts said:
This one is being made by SO team, right? Guess it could be good. Did they fire the writer of SO4?
SO4's scenario was outsourced. Although the original story concept did come from somewhere within tri-Ace.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
entrement said:
Still sour about Peacewalker?
Well I do have problems with that game because of it's online focus, but I am in general not a fan of co-op. I just like having my single player games tailored to being actual single player games. If this game has a single player mode that is'nt hurt by it's mp focus then it's not really a problem.

Luigiv

Takao said:
Monster Hunter, is that you?

That aside, I'm interested to see how this plays, given the whole 2 characters a player thing.

Clevinger said:
Yeah. It's almost like she has an actual human nose. Get that shit out of my anime.
The key word here is "almost". Doesn't look right, and for pretty obvious reasons too. Looks like a grown man's nose that's been flattened with a shovel then stuck on an 8-year old girls face.

cj_iwakura said:
Best game in the series.

Absolutely no idea why people say things like this. The game is too long by far, retreads the same tired areas, has 3 real party slots where IV was knocked for having only 4, etc. The three (or more) scenarios didn't make the game interesting, they made a tedious game even more tedious.

Better handled, three "main characters" might be a neat concept. As is, I struggled to replay it a little over a year ago. The best of the series resides somewhere around I and II, but I'm more partial to the story and characters in I.

Anyhow, getting off topic. I guess the Suikoden 3 looking system makes more sense given the concept of the game.

Ratrat

The psp really needed another Monster Hunter clone.

Ok, that being said this looks slightly better than past efforts.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks very good imo - hope it tuns out more intersting than recent mh inspired titles though.

Astery

feels like monster hunter art style x White Knight Chronicle battles minus the transformation part to me.

What's Square Enix's problem? First Tri-Ace partered with SEGA and now Konami. Seems like Wada is fucking with them lately.

Monster Hunter the turn-based RPG, yep.

Not like I wouldn't buy it if its good but it screams cash-in in MH aesthetics, multiplayer-oriented and japanese-release-only-oriented.

Ratrat

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Not like I wouldn't buy it if its good but it screams cash-in in MH aesthetics, multiplayer-oriented and japanese-release-only-oriented.
But that's exactly what it is.

Alrus

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Yeah after Namco and SE, Konami wants their part of that MH money :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The fact that it's ad hoc only is the worst fucking part. My friends don't have PSPs, so I'm kinda fucked.

dramatis

Astery said:
feels like monster hunter art style x White Knight Chronicle battles minus the transformation part to me.

What's Square Enix's problem? First Tri-Ace partered with SEGA and now Konami. Seems like Wada is fucking with them lately.
Well, after Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4, Tri-Ace hardly has any ground to stand on with Square.

Collaboration with other companies isn't a bad thing though. Tri-Ace was practically an extension of SE, working with other publishers might give them breathing room.

Yuterald

This game looks/sounds a bit interesting, but it's kind of difficult to get excited about another multiplayer/ad hoc focused RPG. Unless you are some MMORPG freak that stays on top of all the multiplayer RPGs (PS Portable, Gods Eater, Lords of Arcana, Monster Hunter, etc.), you can't possibly be hyped about this game.

I've invested about 160 hours into Monster Hunter Tri with some friends and that game itches my multiplayer cravings when I need it. There are not enough hours in a day to invest in these endless time pits. One is enough, especially if you are actually interested in playing other games.

That Labyrinth 3DS Tri-Ace game looks way cooler too. Unless this game has like the best Motoi Sakuraba OST ever I don't see the point of it, lol!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That looks pretty good, I mean, it's PSP, why the thread title?

This game looks/sounds a bit interesting, but it's kind of difficult to get excited about another multiplayer/ad hoc focused RPG. Unless you are some MMORPG freak that stays on top of all the multiplayer RPGs (PS Portable, Gods Eater, Lords of Arcana, Monster Hunter, etc.), you can't possibly be hyped about this game.
Or maybe someone doesn't play all of them but instead only one or two that look appealing to him for whatever style or feature and this will fit the bill for him/her?

Yuterald

Alextended said:
That looks pretty good, I mean, it's PSP, why the thread title?

Or maybe someone doesn't play all of them but instead only one or two that look appealing to him for whatever style or feature and this will fit the bill for him/her?

True that, true that, but still. If you own a PSP and are interested in multiplayer RPGs I am sure you have played Monster Hunter or AT LEAST heard of it. I don't think there are tons of people out there holding onto their $40 waiting for that ONE turn based Monster Hunter look-a-like.

Maybe the game will be pretty cool, I don't know. These multiplayer RPGs just seem very fatiguing at this point.

I hope the included single player option is at least serviceable.

I keep asking "last hurrah for PSP?", but then something else excellent comes out, so i'll abstain this time.

Yuterald said:
True that, true that, but still. If you own a PSP and are interested in multiplayer RPGs I am sure you have played Monster Hunter or AT LEAST heard of it. I don't think there are tons of people out there holding onto their $40 waiting for that ONE turn based Monster Hunter look-a-like.

Maybe the game will be pretty cool, I don't know. These multiplayer RPGs just seem very fatiguing at this point.

looks like it'll have stories instead of just grinding for loot. there are central plot about investigating frontier, it also has multiple characters each with their own story.

I'm interested in this game, even if I'll most likely play it alone. also, just because it has co-op multiplayer doesn't mean it's a MH clone. yes, the success of MH might have influence the multiplayer focus of this game, but this game will have a very different combat system, and Tri-Ace is usually great in making battle system. I'll give them a chance and wait to see how it'll play before I label them as MH clone.

Takao

Banned
Luigiv said:
It's a play on this threads title.

Yeah that's what the thread title references (though I probably should've went with Tri-Ace x Komami), though the actual game isn't pushing the PSP in any way, as it looks really dull and generic.

Alexios

Yuterald said:
You know lots of people don't like how Monster Hunter plays in practice even if the premise initially sounds great to them, right? As much as I disagree with them, this is a fact. So what is left for them? Some Monster Hunter clones, Phantasy Star Portable, the horrible looking Square clone, and now this thing which may or may not attract a (likely small) audience depending on what it offers. It certainly doesn't pass as a mere clone considering being turn based is a fundamental difference. MonHun didn't invent coop.

Anyway I'm just saying I don't really care to defend this before knowing more. It may as well suck.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Some of y'all realize this is what PSP games have always looked like, right?

I wish all big PSP productions like this and FF Type 0 would just shift to NGP release so it can get some AA and resolution increases.

PSP visuals feel dated and all have that jaggy look.

Takao said:
Yeah that's what the thread title references (though I probably should've went with Tri-Ace x Komami), though the actual game isn't pushing the PSP in any way, as it looks really dull and generic.

Well, those were probably bullshots since they weren't even on 3DS native resolution (640x384 instead of 400x240) while these screenshots are actually in native PSP resolution (480x272)

Alexios

BomberMouse said:
Well, those were probably bullshots since they weren't even on 3DS native resolution (640x384 instead of 400x240) while these screenshots are actually in native PSP resolution (480x272)
Different japanese sites tend to post different resolution images, the PSP screens are probably also bullshots, just reduced in size from wherever anoop got them...

Edit: Just noticed they're all with Famitsu's watermark. Well, that still doesn't mean much really.

jackdoe

Alextended said:
Different japanese sites tend to post different resolution images, the PSP screens are probably also bullshots, just reduced in size from wherever anoop got them...
True enough. Still, I didn't expect to see PS1 textures at this point of PSP games. That would be something I'd expect in the first generation of games.

Alexios

Idk, monhun has pretty low res textures too, just better art direction to hide it. It's more like PS2 textures really, both systems have pitiful ram. It's just not very high budget...

Takao

Banned
jooey said:
Some of y'all realize this is what PSP games have always looked like, right?

As someone who's played the PSP more than any other platform in the past 5 years, I can safely say this is not what a title from a major publisher and developer looks like.

Top Bottom