• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footage of Canned 360/PS3 Games (Videos Inside)

MrDenny

Endless Saga - PS3/PC MMORPG
Teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwhc7c4hLDI
Anyone remember this. According to wiki, cancelled because lack of gameplay creativity and innovation.

foto_endless_saga.jpg

Ravidrath

Climax had a crime-ish game that seemed kind of promising called The Fixer. Sony was looking into it, but canceled it because the already had 8 Days an The Getaway in the works.

Before it turned into Mercs Inc., Pandemic was working on a game that was quite similar to Borderlands in concept, except it was on a steampunky sci-fi world with floating continents.

7 Studios was working on a game for the movie 9 that had some promise. It was a prequel to the movie, where you played at 7, the ninja-ish girl, and there was some emphasis on using the environment for puzzle-solving and setting traps for the monsters.

CamHostage

Galvanise_ said:
Evidence? I don't remember Sony pimping these games or Cellius at all other than a brief PR peice stating their formation.

The three "Cellius" games were mislabeled from the beginning by internet rumormongers as Cellius games; they were instead by the Project Aces team (and clearly labeled as such, some even using Ace Combat 5 character models) and were apparently mockups for a focus group. Cellius meanwhile was indeed formed for investigating, experimenting with and expanding on the powers of the Cell chip, but while gamers instantly jumped to the conclusion that this was all hype that meant "= killer app games!!!", the products that Cellius has instead produced have had little to do with gaming but everything to do with cloud computing and other mass-data processing that have likely fit in line with the company's mission statement even though they do not at all jive with gamers' assumption of that mission being all about games.

Desi

Aljosa said:
This game wasn't cancelled, but the original footage of Dark Sector looked very, very, different than what we got.
To this day I still rather have gravity hands over a blade disk. Even if they do the same things.

I'm still pissed about The Getaway. I know there was a couple of trailers and a demonstration but did anything else get released?

Ravidrath said:
7 Studios was working on a game for the movie 9 that had some promise. It was a prequel to the movie, where you played at 7, the ninja-ish girl, and there was some emphasis on using the environment for puzzle-solving and setting traps for the monsters.

Whaaaa? I must know more about this, I came out of that film thinking a game in that world would be pretty cool. What happened?

IrishNinja

Night_Trekker said:
You know the bar for storytelling in video games is subterranean when you have a game being developed that claims to inspire emotion in the players as a selling point. Guess what, guys? If you knew how to write in the first place, you could just incorporate that sort of thing into any game you make!

There's no way it wasn't going to be awful, heavy-handed crap. I'm actually happy it was canned.

this is prolly true, but...now ill never know, so in my head, it was gonna be magical.

Cops and Road Rash looked interesting, Faith looked like a few 3rd person shooters ive played this gen.

Korey

It seems like after years of pre-production, research, art, programming, writing, etc. these devs/publishers would auction the IP/work/assets out to the highest bidder (a low price is better than nothing) to continue production rather than letting them go to waste for eternity. Some of these games look like they could be promising given the right conditions..

D23 said:
Six-Days-in-Fallujah.jpg

Six Days in Fallujah was dropped by Konami because of the controversy surrounds it..
I had high hopes for that game, as I've been dying for a Military FPS with a story that isn't the lovechild of a Tom Clancy novel and a season of 24.

I think me, the two other people in this thread who mentioned the game, and Adam Sessler are the only ones in the world who carry a torch for it.

snap0212

D23 said:
Six-Days-in-Fallujah.jpg

Six Days in Fallujah was dropped by Konami because of the controversy surrounds it..
I really hope they find another Publisher. :(

Whatever game you make, some people will cry about it. This one had so much potential... :/

Freshmaker said:
:lol How bland does a MMORPG have to be to be canned for that?

Especially considering, as I recall, Webzen's first claim to fame was that MMO that blatantly ripped off Wind Waker's art style.

4jmko5.jpg

This is not a company known for originality or creativity.

snap0212 said:

Whatever game you make, some people will cry about it. This one had so much potential... :/

Pretty sure nearly everyone at the studio were fired so doubt that.

Draco

Cipher Complex must be the game Constantine was talking about during the 4Guys1Up interview. He said they'd put in 3 years of work and then the game was canned.

Angry Fork

Road Rash video looks awesome. Even though i'm sick of shooters I thought Faith and a .45 video looked interesting as well. It's a shame that wasn't released as the setting looks fun.

Angry Fork said:
Road Rash video looks awesome. Even though i'm sick of shooters I thought Faith and a .45 video looked interesting as well. It's a shame that wasn't released as the setting looks fun.

Faith never got a publisher, so they had to scrap the game in order to focus on The Watchmen, and get enough money from that to stay in business, which really didn't pan out for them, since they folded shortly after Watchmen.

Faith and a .45 looks freakin' amazing. You'd think with the popularity of western & early 1900s era games these days (Mafia/LA Noire/Too many WW2 games to count) it would have been fairly popular.

Edit: Also going by the art in the OP Faith is possibly one of the most attractive video game females ever. (IMHO)

kamspy

COPS and Road Rash would have both been bought. Possibly Faith and a .45

Stuff like this gets canned, but we get Enslaved and Homefront. Good shit game industry.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Kinyou said:
It's most likely a target render, and every game looks good in a target render

I know what it is... but it's evidence that they had the right idea. The last few Road Rash games, they did not have the right idea.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
snap0212 said:
I think this one may be permanently dead. There was another title released on same engine late last year IIRC(name escapes me though).

This one had so much potential... :/
It was mostly all thanks to one guy, gameplay wise (and luckily enough I got to work with him now).

Top Bottom