• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 2011/12 |OT3| Not as good as the Pig & Whistle

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
tumblr_ls1rauDFaR1qav9vy.gif

Tymo LIKE A BOSS.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't generally hate them, and they played very well tonight; pressuring was brilliant. However, Crouch gets away with so many fucking fouls it's unreal.

Labadal

Someone please post that gif of a defender deflecting a shot in a crazy fashion. Should be put in OP. I think it was in La Liga.

Salazar

gate777 said:
^^ some sort of citeh reference, no idea what it means either

Kermit watches City in an Australian pub, with a band of like-minded City fans. Said pub (as are many; it is a chain) is called the Pig and Whistle.

Saw a mate this morning. Man United fan. Couldn't watch the game, is going to watch the replay in about fifteen minutes. Told me not to tell him anything about it. Expecting an expletive-filled call.

I take full credit for the new title, and considering the last one also referenced City, this is just all part of my masterplan to completely Cityfy this thread. :lol

Fantastic performance by Stoke last night. I purposely went back and read the real-time United bleatings, and it delivered! Glad that we're back on level pegging too, it will give us a confidence boost before the game against Bayern...

...who will pound us into fine paste, I feel. = (

elseanio

Kermit The Dog said:
I take full credit for the new title, and considering the last one also referenced City, this is just all part of my masterplan to completely Cityfy this thread. :lol

Fantastic performance by Stoke last night. I purposely went back and read the real-time United bleatings, and it delivered! Glad that we're back on level pegging too, it will give us a confidence boost before the game against Bayern...

...who will pound us into fine paste, I feel. = (
Out of interest, do they call it football or soccer in Aus? I know you have your own Aussie football game too, so does that get the title 'football'?

Salazar

Kermit The Dog said:
Depraved, ref-assisted performance by Stoke last night.

Fixed.

The camera cutting to shots of League of Gentlemen-esque Stoke fans almost buoyed my spirits.

elseanio said:
Out of interest, do they call it football or soccer in Aus? I know you have your own Aussie football game too, so does that get the title 'football'?

The league calls it football. By no means do a certain majority of fans call it that, though, and the public at large still very much call it soccer.

Salazar said:
The league calls it football. By no means do a certain majority of fans call it that, though, and the public at large still very much call it soccer.

Footy to most Ozzies is AFL which is most definitely not football...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
love how Pep used 3-4-3 again. although he switched to a 4-3-3 when pique was introduced, but by then the game was effectively over.

"oh, so you think it didn't work against Valencia? fine, I'll use the same formation against the most in-form team of the tournament."

the result?

5-0, complete domination. love it when armchair coaches get owned.

Error

"he is interesting, reminds me a lot of zidane" - Platini on Pastore

fuuuuu...

World Cup 2014 is ours Messi+Pastore.

Fady K

Error said:

fuuuuu...

I sure hope so. Messi deserves a World Cup, and Argentina has the players to pull it off. Unfortunately their unlucky run with dull coaches worries me.

Salazar said:
I didn't suggest otherwise.

I'll keep my feelings about AFL quiet for Kermit's sake.
Had a big sports weekend over the last 2 days. Attended Collingwood v Hawthorn (one of the best games I've ever seen live) and then Geelong v West Coast at the MCG, best stadium in the world, then wandered across the road and saw the Warriors upset the Storm.

We then went and found a pub which screened the France v All Blacks Union game. Depressingly, they wouldn't show the PL games because no-one seems to give a toss in Melbourne, so I sat in a pub chatting to a smokin' Canadian lass with a rack you'd step over your own mother for, trying my best to keep up with the City game on Twitter without appearing rude.

All in all, I love sport, and if you can't appreciate alll sports, you're missing out.

gate777

Error said:

fuuuuu...

No chance Pastore is anything like the great Zizou. I watched Platini play for Juve as a child and even he doesn't compare to the master.

Dat volley against leverkusen.....my Lord what a strike.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
There's only one Zidane, Pastore is not even close. He played with Messi already in the WC against Germany ;)

Argentina can forget about the WC with this generation, as long as the Oranji, Spain and Germany are around. Hell, they couldn't even reach the final of Copa América lol

I watched Platini play for Juve as a child and even he doesn't compare to the master.

He's better :p

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Yenrot said:
A place that rivals the Nou Camp, Anfield and Croke Park for atmosphere.

Wow, surprised to see Croke Park mentioned on GAF.

Error

Pastore is just 22 years old, not saying he is going to be better than zidane (heck, not even platini said he was, just said Pastore reminds him of Zidane)

by the time world cup 2014 rolls on Messi will be 26-27 years old and Pastore 24, these guys are still young and getting better and better.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Error said:
Pastore is just 22 years old, not saying he is going to be better than zidane (heck, not even platini said he was, just said Pastore reminds him of Zidane)

by the time world cup 2014 rolls on Messi will be 26-27 years old and Pastore 24, these guys are still young and getting better and better.

You can say the same about the Germans, their team is frighteningly young.

Ozil is the new Zidane.

Ozil is definitely better than Pastore!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Error said:

fuuuuu...

Doesn't have neither his charisma nor his personality on the pitch and never will. Even Messi doesn't.
Zidane could carry a team on his shoulders because of that, Leo can't.

Btw, OP's missing the best GIF out there. They should show it in footiecamps to kids learning how to play.
How to attack and how to NOT defend
love you Demichelis&co.
, it's got everything in it!
downloadgq83.gif

Sorry Bla :)

Error

Dash Kappei said:
Doesn't have neither his charisma nor his personality on the pitch and never will. Even Messi doesn't.
Zidane could carry a team on his shoulders because of thaf, Leo can't.
Messi can't carry a team? I think you should watch the Supercopa. Messi carried Barcelona to that trophy. 5 goals 3 from Messi, the other 2 were assisted by him.

at 24 years, Zidane didn't do the stuff Messi does. Not even Maradona. Btw, before Maradona won the WC, he was crucified whenever he played for the NT for the same reason Messi does whenever he plays for Argentina. Then look what happened after 86, I think people should give him time. Messi is still young and still has 2 WCs to play at a high level.

Barcelona wouldn't be anywhere this good if it wasn't for Messi. They could still win titles, I'm sure, but they wouldn't be as scary as they are now with Messi.

Zidane was great player, but Messi is better than him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Error said:
Messi can't carry a team? I think you should watch the Supercopa. Messi carried Barcelona to that trophy. 5 goals 3 from Messi, the other 2 were assisted by him.

at 24 years, Zidane didn't do the stuff Messi does. Not even Maradona. Btw, before Maradona won the WC, he was crucified whenever he played for the NT for the same reason Messi does whenever he plays for Argentina. Then look what happened after 86, I think people should give him time. Messi is still young and still has 2 WCs to play at a high level.

Barcelona wouldn't be anywhere this good if it wasn't for Messi. They could still win titles, I'm sure, but they wouldn't be as scary as they are now with Messi.

You can't compare the two.

gate777

Error said:

AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!, that has to be the funniest thing I have ever read online. Thanks for the laugh lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Error said:

First of all, I watched the Supercopa (and last match with ATM) and Messi's a god, never even though about saying a bad thing about him, but I don't believe in the "he's better he's worse" kind of comparison for these players (but if you want to go there Maradona is still by far the best player of all time, but I could watch both him in his prime at Napoli and Messi live multiple times and honestly it's hard stuff to even make a comparison). And yes, Messi can't carry a team alone, he just doesn't have it in him. He doesn't make a team play like he wants to like Maradona and Zidane did, he needs a team to play in a eay to make him shine (and he will, guaranteed). Nothing wrong with that, he has many other qualities in him.

Error said:

I will turn this around and say Messi wouldn't be this good without the rest of Barcelona

Error said:

Zidane was 25 when he led France to World Cup glory. He also led Juve to two CL finals before he was 25. Zidane was just as good at Juve as he ever was for Real Madrid.

Anyway, not gonna bother comparing the two but Zidane has achieved some incredible things in the game and is the greatest big game player I have ever seen. He was able to control a game completely, no matter who else was on the pitch; something I've never seen anybody else do.

Messi has many years ahead of him, not really worth comparing right now. If I was I'd say Zidane is better, Messi is more effective but Zidane's technical ability was just unreal. FWIW I think Messi will get there, a player as good as him simply has to perform at International level eventually, he will mature further in the years to come and I think he can lead Argentina to WC glory in 2014, especially as they have alot of other good talent to support him.

What Messi's doing is pretty amazing, But I've seen Fat Ron do it 10 years ago.

I have not and probably will not ever see anyone make the 22 other people on the pitch look as silly as Zidane does.

IceCold

Imo players like C. Ronaldo and Messi can only really be on the same level as great players like Ronaldo, Zidane or Maradona once they carry their national teams to a World Cup win. So far they are simply amazing players that under perform at the national level.

MPW

IceCold said:
Imo players like C. Ronaldo and Messi can only really be on the same level as great players like Ronaldo, Zidane or Maradona once they carry their national teams to a World Cup win. So far they are simply amazing players that under perform at the national level.

agreed

until messi or c.ronaldo wins a world cup, they are not in the same level

hell, even if c. ronaldo wins the world cup, i still go with r9 :D

Qatar

IMO, with the huge list of talented players that Argentina have, they should win every game easily. But no one knows what happens to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom