• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrayToes

Great result. I don't fancy Hoffenheim to beat us at Anfield. They looked overwhelmed at times tonight. They'll be out of their depth on Merseyside.

Audioboxer

I can honestly see Hoffenheim overturning this deficit in the second leg

IF they finish their chances

An Arsenal fan getting excited at the thought of Liverpool losing.

qt0WMyR.gif

Even before they conceded the late goal, I thought Liverpool were lucky to even be winning.

Outplayed for most of the match, very confused looking zonal marking (Moreno specifically) and a lack of real quality (outside of the great free kick).

Liverpool should have been 1-0 to the awful penalty.

Hoffenheim played very confidently, and if they had a more potent attack I think they would have won well.

RocknRola

So, expectations for today's round of CL playoffs?

• Qarabağ vs København - 17:00
  • Sporting CP vs FC Steaua București - 19:45
  • Hoffenheim vs Liverpool - 19:45
  • Young Boys vs CSKA Moskva - 19:45
  • APOEL vs Slavia Praha - 19:45

UK time for all btw.

Expecting victories from København , Sporting, Hoffenheim, Young Boys and Apoel today (though not necessarily in the playoff itself).

Arguably Liverpool and CSKA seem the more likely candidates to cause a "surprise" in my predictions.

20776843_1385556118166378_8193318891510389604_o.jpg

So, not taking into account my two "surprises" I only got one game right lol

Taking those two "surprises" into account I "only" missed two!

............ I should go into betting! :D hehe

Dadasch

Very disappointing performance from Hoffenheim but seriously...Liverpool's defense is pure shit (other than Matip). I can't imagine anything more than a third place in group stage (Europa League qualification).

Labadal

Even before they conceded the late goal, I thought Liverpool were lucky to even be winning.

Outplayed for most of the match, very confused looking zonal marking (Moreno specifically) and a lack of real quality (outside of the great free kick).

Liverpool should have been 1-0 to the awful penalty.

Hoffenheim played very confidently, and if they had a more potent attack I think they would have won well.
It wasn't a pen. Ref missed the offside. We missed 3 clear cut chances. No to say that we were good. Hoffenheim were just not good.

Zasa

It wasn't a pen. Ref missed the offside. We missed 3 clear cut chances. No to say that we were good. Hoffenheim were just not good.
Not sure how you can come out of that & conclude Hoffenheim weren't good, they were arguably the better team.

Garjon

Liverpool was lucky here.

Lucky doesn't even begin to cover it. There were problems all over. That said, Moreno and Lovren are so predictable in how bad they are. Constantly out of position, needless fouls, poor passing, allowing attacking players sight on goal. Both very badly need replacing, soon.

The result was MUCH better than I expected but I hope it doesn't make us complacent. Hoffenheim showed that they are a formidable force and they could quite easily overturn the deficit. We really could have done with holding on to that 2 goal lead though; our away goals are pretty much irrelevant now.

Considering the pedigree and difference in class, I think Hoffenheim deserve much more credit. Had Hoffenhiem scored the penalty (correct or not), this would have been a different game.

Labadal

Not sure how you can come out of that & conclude Hoffenheim weren't good, they were arguably the better team.
They played well, but their defending wasn't very good. Salah, Firmino and one more chance I missed. Lovren should have scored on the corner.

Our defense was awful and what did Hoffenheim do? Not much.

Trust me, I am not happy with the Liverpool performance. Mane gets two thumbs up.

T-Rex.

Banned
You're forgetting that they missed a penalty and missed a couple of chances before Liverpool woke up. Also they missed a clear header in the last minutes.
I'm not forgetting anything. I'm saying we weren't lucky because our defence was awful, our midfield was not great up until Milner came on, and we still looked far more likelier to score than they did. And we could have put the tie to bed before they pulled one back. They had chances and a lot of the ball, but it never really felt like they'd beat us.

Disappointing performance from both teams IMO, but we got 2 away goals and won so can't say I'm too fussed about the performance.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hoffenheim had the discipline and good build-up and exploited well the obvious flows in Liverpool's defence but lacked the quality of the players (poor control of the ball, poor finishing, poor decision, poor defending 1-on-1 etc.).

NHale

Lucky doesn't even begin to cover it. There were problems all over. That said, Moreno and Lovren are so predictable in how bad they are. Constantly out of position, needless fouls, poor passing, allowing attacking players sight on goal. Both very badly need replacing, soon.

The result was MUCH better than I expected but I hope it doesn't make us complacent. Hoffenheim showed that they are a formidable force and they could quite easily overturn the deficit. We really could have done with holding on to that 2 goal lead though; our away goals are pretty much irrelevant now.

This is what baffles me the most especially about Moreno. He never seems to be on the right position everytime the ball is on his side. Is either too inside, too outside, too forward or too backwards. It's incredible because it's impossible that somebody is missing his positioning so much. I'm starting to believe this is also a problem with the system played by Klopp but then TAA is almost always on the right position.

Moreno wasn't this bad at Sevilla either. He was never a good defender, but he was never this terrible. Liverpool was lucky because they could have easily lost today.

Labadal

What's going on with Aston Villa? One draw and two losses.

Just saw one of the goals in the APOEL goals. What an amazing lob!

Zasa

They played well, but their defending wasn't very good. Salah, Firmino and one more chance I missed. Lovren should have scored on the corner.

Our defense was awful and what did Hoffenheim do? Not much.

Trust me, I am not happy with the Liverpool performance. Mane gets two thumbs up.
Your defense was poor large in part because of Hoffenheim's pressing & midfield control imo. Hoffenheim also missed big chances including the penalty, the last minute chance, Wagner's shot hitting the post off a big chance. So it goes both ways. Hoffenheim's endproduct was weirdly poor this match, a lot of bad crosses & indecisive passses in the box.

Great match though

Labadal

Your defense was poor large in part because of Hoffenheim's pressing & midfield control imo. Hoffenheim also missed big chances including the penalty, the last minute chance, Wagner's shot hitting the post off a big chance. So it goes both ways. Hoffenheim's endproduct weirdly poor this match, a lot of bad crosses & indecisive passses in the box.

Great match though
Yeah, I'm not saying they couldn't have scored. Game could have ended 4-4 or 5-5.

TheChamp

Embarrising the only team below us in the league is Burton Albion...... please do the right think Bruce and resign, 47 points in our last 38 games is appaling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom