• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

This might also be a contender I guess.

jose-morhino-was-pumped-after-chelseas-goal-against-liverpool-a.gif

Look at this guy celebrating getting 2nd place that season. He would really fit in at Tottenham.

King_Moc

Banned
My local is Oxford United, languishing in L1, which is fun but the low quality of the matches can make it hard to enjoy consistently.

The ground only has three sides and the only local pub is a bowling alley too. And the bar staff there are useless.

TimmmV

I think another reason why Liverpool are disliked is their fans each and every season proclaiming that this is their year. You could argue that it's a minority, but it does happen.

Weirdly, our fans do it too? Like, are they actually fucking mental?

This isn't true, and in fact I think Liverpool fans tend to be more negative than anything else

Just look at this thread before a match lol, most of the Liverpool fans seem to be expecting the usual implosion/shooting self in the foot

I've seen more rival fans say the meme about "scouse boom bust cycle" than I have Liverpool fans seriously talking about winning the league

Look at this guy celebrating getting 2nd place that season. He would really fit in at Tottenham.

*3rd Place

T-Rex.

Banned
I think another reason why Liverpool are disliked is their fans each and every season proclaiming that this is their year. You could argue that it's a minority, but it does happen.

Gonna be sad when it finally is one of our years and there's no one left saying it

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think another reason why Liverpool are disliked is their fans each and every season proclaiming that this is their year.

You know this is a myth right? If it was ever a thing, then it died out over a decade ago.

If Liverpool were 6 points clear at the top of the table with one game to go, I still wouldn't expect us to win the league.

Yes, it can be very annoying at times. Souness is the worst.

Liverpool fans hate Souness more than anyone. For me the most annoying one is Martin Tyler, whom I refer to as Manc Prime.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This isn't true, and in fact I think Liverpool fans tend to be more negative than anything else

Just look at this thread before a match lol, most of the Liverpool fans seem to be expecting the usual implosion/shooting self in the foot

I've seen more rival fans say the meme about "scouse boom bust cycle" than I have Liverpool fans seriously talking about winning the league

*3rd Place

Same with us

Not many Arsenal fans realistically thinks we'll win the league, but that boring meme picture circulates every few months

NHale

Liverpool are dope, but hate how many ex players are commentators etc. It makes for very biased opinions.

At the same time it also gives very hilarious opinions. I can't imagine a world without the words of football wisdom by Michael Owen. I like Carragher though, maybe because he rips Liverpool when he feels they deserve.

So who will be the biggest flop signing this season?

Lindelof.

Audioboxer

Checks out

S1PikB7.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Europe: Paulinho
Prem: Jo(k)e Hart for West Ham

I don't think Paulinho will be considered a flop as no one really expects him to be great in the first place, despite his impressive recent stats. I was glad when Hart fucked off to Italy, I can't stand his constant screaming and constipation face during games.

My vote goes to VVD, have a feeling he is going to have a terrible season for whatever club he plays for this year (which will probably be Chelsea).

Audioboxer

At the same time it also gives very hilarious opinions. I can't imagine a world without the words of football wisdom by Michael Owen. I like Carragher though, maybe because he rips Liverpool when he feels they deserve.

Lindelof.

Probably a true story. Poor mans Phil Jones. Bailly hit the ground running but there are some doubts about Lindelol.

I pointed it out earlier, but

By scoring that goal, Lukaku has joined Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Anthony Martial, Federico Macheda and Louis Saha as players who have netted on their first two Premier League outings for the Old Trafford side.

He's fine. It's all good.

Labadal

The only club I "hate" is Manchester United. For any other club, I just want them to finish behind us in the table. Maybe it will happen once before I die.

Audioboxer

Yeah I have doubts over Lindelof

As long as he doesn't become John Stones 2.0 it's okay. As I said Bailly is immense and in a world where good centre backs are hard to find. 23 years old too (also the age of Lindelof).

The biggest concern for United in defence now is how much longer can Valencia go on, and what to do with Luke Shaw. The centre is strong.

Markitron

As a Liverpool fan, I agree with this. The number of times when 2 or all the pundits are ex Liverpool players is a little absurd.

Particularly when Jamie Redknapp is one of them. This is a man that is paid shitloads of money to watch football, and described Xhaka as a player who avoids tackling. Nothing funnier than Ex-Pros pretending that they have watched football in other countries.

I mean a very brief google is all it takes, maybe they can't fit an iPhone in their ridiculously tight trousers.

DBT85

As long as he doesn't become John Stones 2.0 it's okay. As I said Bailly is immense and in a world where good centre backs are hard to find. 23 years old too (also the age of Lindelof).

He was 3/5ths the price of Stones so he's never going to be that bad.

Liverpool fans hate Souness more than anyone. For me the most annoying one is Martin Tyler, whom I refer to as Manc Prime.

Never had an issue with Tyler, he gets all excited at the right times with all the big names.

I cannot fucking stand Peter Drury though. Fuck me. Everything out of his mouth seems like he's pre scripted it to be a soundbite.

TimmmV

Particularly when Jamie Redknapp is one of them. This is a man that is paid shitloads of money to watch football, and described Xhaka as a player who avoids tackling. Nothing funnier than Ex-Pros pretending that they have watched football in other countries.

Lets face it, Redknapp is only there because he's good looking

I don't really like Souness either, but will admit to finding his death glares whenever another pundit (Redknapp) is saying something dumb to be quite funny

Markitron

Lets face it, Redknapp is only there because he's good looking

I don't really like Souness either, but will admit to finding his death glares whenever another pundit (Redknapp) is saying something dumb to be quite funny

I hate his whole cheeky persona, and his faux outrage is hilariously transparent. Carra makes him look like a clown.

City and Chelsea have often been seen as the battle of the "oil clubs" which sees a lot of hate.

Most people don't even really give a shit about that either. The El Cashico isn't a proper rivalry its just a fake media rivalry. The only real rival that City has is United and that is a weird one, loads of players/managers have worked at both clubs and City have helped out United many times over the clubs history. Since Ferguson and Mancini the rivalry has almost been none existent. The press tried to drum up Pep vs Mou but they just look like colleagues with more important stuff to do.

The tabloid journalists (and Jamie Jackson) actively hate City and you often see a lot of racism in much of the hate online but very few give a toss what they think. Maybe if City can sustain trophy success for a period over two decades then people would have more of a reason to hate but really they are a club that only have had money for less than a decade and only started to be competent for about 7 years.

There are some fans that hate City and Chelsea for highlighting the Prem for what it was but unless you supported United or weren't old enough to remember the late eighties/early nineties you were aware of this. (it was funded by Murdoch for FFS).

United are easily the most hated team though. ABU.

Now the premier league is just the dumping ground of all the foreign talent rejects that didn't sign for Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern/PSG or Juventus.

Because Spain has surpassed everybody in club football. The amount of UEFA trophies spain has won in the last 10 years compared to germany and england is mindboggling. This development will stay in the kids mind for the rest of their careers with one goal in mind which is to play for Real or Barca because the once big english clubs dont leave any impression at all in european football.

It takes some extremely loyal supertalent to kick them to a major trophy and I dont see that happen in the future...like ever.

Markitron

Still the worst....

Commentator is......

Hargreaves

*Player dribbled two feet with the ball

Hargreaves: 'That is exceptional, world class, amazing control, this player is phenomenal. He's a joy to watch, astounding control, this guy is unplayable on his day.'

Still, he's less irritating than John Motson.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Lads heway, leave off Redknapp, his lass has just left him

"My wife left me"

Why do people tweet that to footballs like Neville, Carragher and Lineker?

Markitron

Never had an issue with Tyler, he gets all excited at the right times with all the big names.

Tyler has an orgasm every time Pogba gets within 10 feet of the ball.

Why do people tweet that to footballs like Neville, Carragher and Lineker?

Because people are tampon-eating, mouth-breathing cunts.

Audioboxer

Most people don't even really give a shit about that either. The El Cashico isn't a proper rivalry its just a fake media rivalry. The only real rival that City has is United and that is a weird one, loads of players/managers have worked at both clubs and City have helped out United many times over the clubs history. Since Ferguson and Mancini the rivalry has almost been none existent. The press tried to drum up Pep vs Mou but they just look like colleagues with more important stuff to do.

The tabloid journalists (and Jamie Jackson) actively hate City and you often see a lot of racism in much of the hate online but very few give a toss what they think. Maybe if City can sustain trophy success for a period over two decades then people would have more of a reason to hate but really they are a club that only have had money for less than a decade and only started to be competent for about 7 years.

There are some fans that hate City and Chelsea for highlighting the Prem for what it was but unless you supported United or weren't old enough to remember the late eighties/early nineties you were aware of this. (it was funded by Murdoch for FFS).

United are easily the most hated team though. ABU.

True, the only real rivalry now is Mourinho vs Wenger. There is a huge loss in the league of managerial rivalries. Now most managers are lucky to get 1~3 seasons before the sack. The era of Fergie vs Wenger, and many others is gone. It's why I want to old onto Wenger for these last 2 years, not just for AFTV and the lols, but he's a reminder of an era that is now largely dead.

Mourinho is on lockdown a bit at United as well, but that's because as a loose cannon he isn't a Fergie. Once Mourinho goes a bit too crazy the all out implosion begins. Fergie was the master of letting loose but still being able to reign it back in.

Because Spain has surpassed everybody in club football. The amount of UEFA trophies spain has won in the last 10 years compared to germany and england is mindboggling. This development will stay in the kids mind for the rest of their careers with one goal in mind which is to play for Real or Barca because the once big english clubs dont leave any impression at all in european football.

It takes some extremely loyal supertalent to kick them to a major trophy and I dont see that happen in the future...like ever.

Pretty much. I doubt United will ever get a Ronaldo again. The second any player does display serious potential in the PL someone wants to swoop in for them as well. Money keeps some of them around for a bit, but you'll find most will eventually head to the Spanish league.

NHale

The biggest concern for United in defence now is how much longer can Valencia go on, and what to do with Luke Shaw. The centre is strong.

Do you think so? Bailly looks good/great even if he makes silly mistakes from time to time (like he did with that stupid cleareance against Swansea), Phil Jones is solid but it's a injury risk everytime he wakes up, Rojo is a walking red card waiting to happen, Blind is too small and can't play there against better squads, Smalling is terrible any day of the week and twice on Saturdays and Lindelof is unproven and imho not good enough yet for Man United.

I still think this Manchester United doesn't have the depth required to compete for anything this year. I looked at that bench on Saturday and only saw 2 good players there (Herrera and Martial). Although to be fair Fellaini has been one of the better United players so far. What a crazy universe...

Markitron

Michael Owen and Jamie Redknapp are hilariously bad.

It's not so funny to me anymore. Michael Owen is the football equivalent of Coldplay. So mind-numbingly boring that I can't understand how anybody could listen to him without wanting to dip their testicles in a beehive, just to liven things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom