• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The Liga president is so embarassing lol. He would have a fair point about the state of Qatar being directly linked to PSG but what is this nonsense about biscuits and pee...

also if the Spanish government hadn't been propping up their teams for all these years.

Also treating Man City and PSG as the new normal rather than the exception is silly. There's 20 teams in the PL and only like 3 are spending stupid money but they can because they're global super brands. West Brom aren't coming for Ronaldo any time soon. It's not like other teams can't compete.

Did he kill your dog or steal your gf or why is the hate so strong with you?
tumblr_oustyxCxVa1uxg127o1_250.gif
Bruh, you're the one that just said a guy that sat in the bench for two years is the best in the world in a position.

giphy.gif

James isn't even in the top 10

don't @ me
There's possibly 3 midfielders better than him at Bayern

tenor.gif

He can prove his worth this year. He was actually pretty damn good before Carlo left Madrid.

spidye

I really want James to be one of the best midfielders in the world since I like him a lot and after 2014 wc I hoped bayern would get him but he has to prove himself . As of now I rate Forsberg even higher on the best CAM-list in Bundesliga

don't hit me jack

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hope James get to actually play as a CAM more often. Zidane played him in any position but that. Still had great stats when he played even as a winger or CM.

Beefy

Adrien Silva move to Leicester went through. But they were 14 seconds past the deadline so can't register him to play. 😂

How the hell la liga representatives say that with a straight face? real and barça are two of the biggest culprit of the humongous financial gaps that exists in the sport.

Adrien Silva move to Leicester went through. But they were 14 seconds past the deadline so can't register him to play. ��

Beautiful karma.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Sporting president Bruno de Carvalho has referred to West Ham's owners as 'the dildo brothers'

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ronaldinho on Philippe Coutinho: "This season Liverpool will see him give everything for the club - that is the sort of player he is."

"No player is going to refuse to play when it’s the World Cup at the end of the season."

Ronaldinho on Philippe Coutinho: "This season Liverpool will see him give everything for the club - that is the sort of player he is."

"No player is going to refuse to play when it’s the World Cup at the end of the season."

Think he's 100% right. I mean you only have to look at this international break. Coutinho didn't play any competitive football in August and therefore he ends up on the bench for Brazil. He doesn't wanna be on the bench during the World Cup, he wants to play.

sammex

How can anyone seriously be upset with Motson no longer commentating? He's (at least in my lifetime) terrible

Agreed. He's awful.

He was getting really bad before he only did MOTD, misprounouncing players names and making mistakes. Plus once someone pointed out how many times he said oooohhhhhh during games I couldn't hear anything else.

Edit:

Wouldn't mind Tyler and Tyldesley retiring too.

Doc_Drop

He was getting really bad before he only did MOTD, misprounouncing players names and making mistakes. Plus once someone pointed out how many times he said oooohhhhhh during games I couldn't hear anything else.
Yeah, he's a legend. But I'm not going crazy thinking he's been poor since my early memories of football (90s onward)

RocknRola

Anyone curious to how the new UEFA Nations League will work? Well, here you go:

2406558_w2.jpg

What is the basic format?

The 55 participating teams are split into four leagues, A–B–C–D, according to their strength
League A will include the top-ranked teams, League D the lowest-ranked sides
Leagues A and B will consist of four groups of three teams
League C will comprise one group of three teams and three groups of four sides
League D will be formed by four groups of four teams
In the first edition of the competition, the participating sides will be classified according to the UEFA national team coefficient rankings (ranking as per 11 October 2017, i.e. conclusion of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers)
In each league, four group winners are promoted (or play in the Final Four, see below) and four teams are relegated for the next competition to be played in 2020
The overall UEFA Nations League rankings will determine the composition of the draw pots for the subsequent European Qualifiers
In addition, the UEFA Nations League will provide teams with another chance to qualify for the UEFA EURO final tournament, with four sides qualifying through play-off matches which take place in March 2020 (see below).

2406556_w2.jpg

The European Qualifiers for UEFA EURO 2020 commence in March 2019. There will be two matchdays in each of March, June, September, October and November 2019. In total, there will be five groups of five teams and five groups of six teams (ten groups in all) playing over ten matchdays (the same number as now). The winner and runner-up in each of the ten groups will qualify automatically for the UEFA EURO 2020 final tournament (June 2020).

The four remaining UEFA EURO 2020 places will be allocated to the winners of play-off matches which will take place in March 2020:
• 16 sides will take part in the play-offs and are grouped four by four. Each group vies for one qualification spot.
• Each of the four Nations League leagues receives four play-off qualification positions to be allocated to each of the four group winners within that league.
• If any winners are already qualified through the European Qualifiers, then their play-off position will be allocated to the next best-ranked team of the league in question, taking into account the global ranking within the league, and then if necessary to the following league in decreasing order taking into consideration the global ranking of the relevant league.
• The four teams in each league will play two one-off semi-finals and one one-off 'final' to determine each of the four play-off winners.

A whole lot more at the link:

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

Red Devil

If they do end up qualifying, I can't see Argentina staying like this either. They'll only keep improving under Sampaoli in my view tbh, more time to mold his philosophy into the team & get them to work even harder. Plus, a promising partnership in Messi, Dybala & Icardi.

Icardi is no better than Higuaín and in the end it's clear neither is at fault, and Dybala being the ideal partner for Messi is still a fairy tale. It feels like Dybala is the new Pastore.

Sampaoli is a great coach, this isn't his fault. The team just doesn't work. Argentina hasn't had good midfielders or intelligent defenders like Ayala in a long time. You need someone to command the field as a player just as much as you need a good coach.

There're defenders and midfielders, that we're strong offensively and weak defensively has been a myth for years now, although yesterday he played like shit Banega has so far the one that connects the best with Messi, now if Sampaoli didn't try any funky formation or placing players wherever he feels like simply because(ie. Mascherano on the right side of the defense or Acuña on the right side of the midfield like against Uruguay, the difference there was notable). If Acosta ever managed to recover any ball yesterday it's a miracle because he's never played that. And well some players not getting called up is questionable but that's been an issue for a while.

RocknRola

LOL

WTF is this? The new Euro Qualifier? If so; why do they give it this new shitty name?

Nope. The Euro Qualifiers are still gonna happen as normal (though, now, in only 1 year). It's all in the article, but I didn't want ot plaster the post with a literal wall of text :p

This is basically a replacement for the shitty friendlies that mean nothing. + It's also a trophy of sorts + 4 teams can get a spot at the Euro if they fail their regular qualification.

Dadasch

Nope. The Euro Qualifiers are still gonna happen as normal (though, now, in only 1 year). It's all in the article, but I didn't want ot plaster the post with a literal wall of text :p

This is basically a replacement for the shitty friendlies that mean nothing. + It's also a trophy of sorts + 4 teams can get a spot at the Euro if they fail their regular qualification.
Ok thanks!
That doesn't sound too bad actually.

I had posted a few weeks ago that the initial offer off West Ham was 25M€, so it's not impossible that email was sent to some intermediate. Sporting always said no.

I think a lot is lost in translations. Our president didn't called them Dildo Brothers, he was talking about West Ham, how after a while they left the negotiation table but kept feeding information about wanting William and he speculated cause it was because of Bilic (who wanted him) and the bad relationship he had with Sullivan (they didn't want to buy him). He then said even the fans weren't behind them and said he read they called him the Dildo Brothers.

He also said they waited all day (31st) for an offer that never appeared, they called the players lawyer who told them no offer was going to be submitted. He also heavily implied that the 2 clubs who were near his signing was Monaco and PSG, but Fabinho didnt left (to Psg) and PSG couldn't accept Sporting immediate demands because of the FPP, so both deals were not made.

As a small tidbit, Liverpool offered a ton of money for one of our players. It would have been portugal's record transfer fee.

Yeah, I got the calculation wrong. But hey, as long you guys take points off of Burkina Faso (and not off Senegal again), you're all good in my book :p

I just hope you haven't inspired Cape Verde to play better in their next game...

Whelp, here's your lifeline.

Cape Town - SAFA has confirmed receiving a report from FIFA stating that Bafana Bafana will be required to replay their 2018 Soccer World Cup qualifier against Senegal that was played on November 12, 2016 in Polokwane which South Africa won 2-1, according to the SAFA website.

According to FIFA, the decision follows confirmation from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to uphold the lifetime ban of match referee Joseph Lamptey for "match manipulation".

http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/BafanaBafana/safa-denies-wrongdoing-in-bafana-v-senegal-match-20170907

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom