• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT2| Fractured but Ox

DBT85

Performance of your enemy aside, how are Liverbros feeling about not getting a win from the game? is a home draw acceptable for you?

Wow, just seen the Deeney interview after working all night.

That's some astounding stuff really. How can Wenger and the Arsenal players (Mertesaker in particular) see that and not feel utterly humiliated?

I only listened to the game on the radio but I'm not surprised with Deeney's assessment. Arsenal have been easy pickings for players like him for a long time now.

After watching the City game and the United game all I could think is that next season they might properly break away from the rest.

City have clicked whilst improving from game to game and is really just a question of how long they can sustain it. United are solid and riding a system that doesn't loose them games and is more than enough to put them at the top this season but they are short a few players to do the job properly. Tactically a lot of their players are out of position or Mou is relying on players that don't have the ability to do what he wants, when that gets fixed and they play the system properly they are going to be a bloody tough team.

DBT85

Damn, wasn't expecting Deeney to say these things. So many truth bombs dropped.

Yep. Not many players get that honest but he's quite happy lol.

After watching the City game and the United game all I could think is that next season they might properly break away from the rest.

City have clicked whilst improving from game to game and is really just a question of how long they can sustain it. United are solid and riding a system that doesn't loose them games and is more than enough to put them at the top this season but they are short a few players to do the job properly. Tactically a lot of their players are out of position or Mou is relying on players that don't have the ability to do what he wants, when that gets fixed and they play the system properly they are going to be a bloody tough team.

I think City could break away this year, its going to depend on how they cope when a bad run hits and if anyone figures them out. Have to be odds on for the title though as they are demolishing teams for fun.

I think Mou would have much preferred to have one of Pogba, Fellani or Carrick available today so that's not helped. He likes to park a bus and punish you when he can. It is known. No United fan is going to give 2 shits if we win the league after only getting draws at Anfield, The Bridge or Wembley. They might be a bit upset not getting something at the Emirates.

As we've seen before, you can be the best in the top 6 mini league but there are no prizes for that. Beating those teams means nothing at all if you can't secure wins against the smaller teams.

Mou is always going to be more conservative than Pep, it's their management style. I don't think many Chelsea, Madrid, Inter or Porto fans are too upset about the trophies he won playing the way he does.

It's been another odd year though in that 3 of the traditional top 6 are just fluffing their lines too often. It's still early in the year of course, but to have Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool 9 points off the top and 20, 23, 24 goals on GD behind is madness after 8 games. Even being 7 points and nearly as many goals behind United who everyone keeps saying are shit, is bad.

Watford for the title.

TimmmV

I think United need to play more of the good teams before people get too carried away. I read today that this game vs Liverpool was their first fixture vs anyone in the current top 12 in the league - whereas City have had a harder run of fixtures and looked much more impressive in them too

I think City could break away this year, its going to depend on how they cope when a bad run hits and if anyone figures them out. Have to be odds on for the title though as they are demolishing teams for fun.

I think Mou would have much preferred to have one of Pogba, Fellani or Carrick available today so that's not helped. He likes to park a bus and punish you when he can. It is known. No United fan is going to give 2 shits if we win the league after only getting draws at Anfield, The Bridge or Wembley. They might be a bit upset not getting something at the Emirates.

As we've seen before, you can be the best in the top 6 mini league but there are no prizes for that. Beating those teams means nothing at all if you can't secure wins against the smaller teams.

Mou is always going to be more conservative than Pep, it's their management style. I don't think many Chelsea, Madrid, Inter or Porto fans are too upset about the trophies he won playing the way he does.

It's been another odd year though in that 3 of the traditional top 6 are just fluffing their lines too often. It's still early in the year of course, but to have Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool 9 points off the top and 20, 23, 24 goals on GD behind is madness after 8 games. Even being 7 points and nearly as many goals behind United who everyone keeps saying are shit, is bad.

Watford for the title.

I personally like Mou's football it's intelligent and at its core is about punishing errors using positioning to force this. It's not too different than what Ferguson use to do and it was extremely successful for him, there is a reason many of the legendary United goal in big games came from the break so its certainly not like United fans have never seen it before. However that was a final product not a developing one and at the moment Mou doesn't have the squad and they are not playing to the level required to dominate in a way that type of football can, but are only a few players short.

The Prem is a lot lower quality than a lot of people like to admit and the way United are playing even though not the best is good enough but you can see especially due to the changes from last year to this that they will become a real force with the right personnel changes. There is a huge difference between a team capable of winning the league and a team with the quality that they are significantly better than all teams in the league.

Carrick, Pogba or Fellani would have helped big time as they could pressure Henderson properly and be open on the back but normally for that type of football that isn't necessary to win that game with the formation or tactics used. The main problem today was Young, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, Lukaku they were often out of position or they were unsure of where they were suppose to be. This was a game where a player like Ibra would have made a bigger difference as he knows how to play this system fully and makes the mistakes happen and knows where to be so he can pick up the loose pass.

The system is defensive but the off ball movement and pressure on the midfield by the attacking players needs to be high with perfect shadow covering to force turnovers, this never happened. United's defence only looked shaky on the one corner and that was only due to Lukaku being slow out, the rest was beyond easy for them and even though Darmian was the weak link the rest were extremely well drilled at covered this with ease. What I like about a top quality Mourinho side is watching players that aren't on the ball and United are still a long way off in this regards when it comes to the attacking players, there are positions where players should be and they aren't but to restate this is much better than last year.

I was harsh on Liverpool before the season started and I'd be even harsher with them now but I'd need to watch their games a few times to fully understand where things aren't right but its such an unbalanced side that they can't do the gegenpress at the moment. Today wasn't a game where there usual problems were highlighted but it did highlight that they really are reliant on the creativity of one player to really make them shine.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
What did Deeney say? I must have missed it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41534302

Deeney gave a scathing assessment of Wenger's comments and the Gunners in general, telling BT Sport: "I've heard Wenger's already saying the penalty is the reason they lost. Well, I'm not going to be one to tell Mr Wenger about himself, but there's a reason they lost and it wasn't because of one penalty.

"It's having a bit of cojones. Whenever I play against Arsenal, I'll go up and think 'let me whack the first one and see who wants it'.

"I came on today and jumped up with Mertesacker - I didn't even have to jump, actually. I nodded it down, the crowd got up - 'yeah we've got somebody who can win it' - and they all just backed off.

"For me as a player, I just think 'happy days'. That's my strength - if you're going to let me do my strength against you, you're going to have a tough afternoon."

there's a bit more where he says he knows he's not as technically gifted as some Arsenal players but he's stronger than them and they weren't up for it which gave them the edge.

Martin Keown who was alsp in the studio agrees and says something like "if I'm in that Arsenal locker room and I hear that I'm livid". He went on to say maybe Arsenal have lost that over the years.

DBT85

Everyone knows they have lost that. They've not had any bite in far too long. You need someone in your team who will stand up and say "come on then, cunts" when it gets a bit heavy and everyone knows you can bully Arsenal.

Those glory days with Keown and Dixon and Adams and Viera and Parlour and Winterburn etc were as much a fight as they were a football match at times. The game has softened since then no doubt, but you still need fight in your team.

I think United need to play more of the good teams before people get too carried away. I read today that this game vs Liverpool was their first fixture vs anyone in the current top 12 in the league - whereas City have had a harder run of fixtures and looked much more impressive in them too

United will play the same against any top 6 team this is no surprise and exactly the plan.

Take a point off the rivals and beat everyone else and hope the top 6 teams drop points, today is a perfect example of that.

But City, not much you can do about them.

GHG

Gold Member
I like Troy Deeney.

Spitting truth about Wenger, Arsenal as a whole and Bellerin's shit hair.

I hope everyone at Arsenal watches his interviews.

T-Rex.

Banned
I was harsh on Liverpool before the season started and I'd be even harsher with them now but I'd need to watch their games a few times to fully understand where things aren't right but its such an unbalanced side that they can't do the gegenpress at the moment. Today wasn't a game where there usual problems were highlighted but it did highlight that they really are reliant on the creativity of one player to really make them shine.
We're creating very good chances and aren't taking them. Reductive, but there you go.

TeddyBoy

Performance of your enemy aside, how are Liverbros feeling about not getting a win from the game? is a home draw acceptable for you?

Normally at Anfield I want us to win but a draw is ok, our form has been horendous lately and a boring 0-0 draw effectively gives both our sets of fans nothing to brag about.

We're creating very good chances and aren't taking them. Reductive, but there you go.

In part yes but what goes on positionally and tactically often holds the key to what's going wrong. The fact that Liverpool aren't doing the gegenpress properly which is a foundation of Klopps football highlights something is amiss that isn't obvious. I have heard a few people say that Lallana was the brains of the midfield he knew where to move, when to trigger the press and direct the others where they needed to be. The timing of his injury does link up with the poor positioning, the poor pressing and that there is often no quick outlet for Henderson.

T-Rex.

Banned
In part yes but what goes on positionally and tactically often holds the key to what's going wrong. The fact that Liverpool aren't doing the gegenpress properly which is a foundation of Klopps football highlights something is amiss that isn't obvious. I have heard a few people say that Lallana was the brains of the midfield he knew where to move, when to trigger the press and direct the others where they needed to be. The timing of his injury does link up with the poor positioning, the poor pressing and that there is often no quick outlet for Henderson.
Lallana was definitely the catalyst for the press last season, but I think it's been a tactical decision more than anything. We still don't really have a massive squad and I think Klopp decided to ease off, especially after our players were dead on their feet after Christmas last season. That's just my assumption though (cos we still pressed without Lallana last season whereas there's a noticeable difference this season). Also doesn't help that, cos of injuries, we've had to rely on a Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum midfield trio for the majority of this season and it's not really the most creative. Defensively they're not tracking runners either, Can's head is clearly elsewhere (Juve) and Wijnaldum has been pretty poor this season.

Audioboxer

nFdb1IH.png

I1ZMcrL.png

he is some player /jealous

Loved Sam Allardyce's answer to the question on Sky's Goal on Sunday, about Zaha's performance yesterday.

Q: Why doesn't Zaha do this every week?
A: He does.

Wish that that football "experts" would start to recognize that Zaha actually does perform consistently, and have done that over a long period now.

When you follow a minor team like Palace, you really start to notice how often the pundits and "experts" doesn't have a clue about stuff, but don't admit to it.

Loved Sam Allardyce's answer to the question on Sky's Goal on Sunday, about Zaha's performance yesterday.

Wish that that football "experts" would start to recognize that Zaha actually does perform consistently, and have done that over a long period now.

When you follow a minor team like Palace, you really start to notice how often the pundits and "experts" doesn't have a clue about stuff, but don't admit to it.

Even when you follow a team that is top of the league you quickly notice how little clue pundits have. There is a reason they are pundits and not managers, trainers or analysts.

There is a clip online where Cruyff is giving a talk about his football concepts and all the other pundits can do is make stupid jokes. The stuff he is highlighting is amazing but he never even gets close to trying to say what he wants due to them.

I've been interested in the tactical side of the game for years but I was legitimately shocked how little the players understand about this side of the game. Especially when you compare it to other top level sporting professions like the F1 and the NFL.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

this is blindingly obvious every time the transfer window opens. They only seem to know if someone is good when they're banging in goals or on the back pages.

And here I wanted to watch Brighton v Everton in a hungover state and it's not even on...

BBC: "Brighton 0-0 Everton - poor first half ends goalless"

doesn't sound like you're missing much

Top Bottom