• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footballer (UK) James Norwood condemned after 'blacking up' for Christmas party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Screen-Shot-2016-12-22-at-08-15-00-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqrd3v3Fu8bw5i_xl1zt2x3Rjc_tug_KIozTYR1GUHPpA.png

The 26-year-old posted a picture of himself on Instagram dressed as a street salesman before the club's Christmas party.

In the photo, which was later deleted on, Norwood appeared with his arms and face with black paint along with the caption "great Xmas do with the boys.. level - fancy dress - completed.”

Norwood, who has scored nine times so far this season, initially denied the outfit was offensive, replying to tweets criticising him.

"What's racist about it, pal? Seen plenty of kamara, mr T and a couple of Hollywood films do it," he wrote.

The striker, who recently signed a new deal with the club after finishing last season as their top goalscorer, later deleted the posts and made his social media accounts private.

Anti-discrimination charity, Kick It Out, has called the offensive outfit "ill-thought out" in a quotes featured in a story by The Sun.

“Although it is likely it was a well-intended fancy dress for a Christmas party, it is ill-thought-out and something that is out-of-date in today’s modern world," a spokesman from the charity said.

"Even well-intended acts may cause offence and that’s something players have to appreciate and consider.”

The 26-year-old joined the National League side in 2015 after spells at Eastbourne, Exeter and Forest Green

Norwood was previously charged with drink driving in 2012 while at Forest Green, being banned from the road for 19 months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...r-james-norwood-condemned-blacking-christmas/

Fucking idiot

Plum

You have to be the most clueless fucker to ever think doing that would be OK, let alone post it publicly on Instagram. I have no sympathy for the racist.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He's doing it wrong. You have to really bug your eyes out and also make sure the lips are well defined and huge.

Ah good it's time for our yearly Christmas blackface thread.

I'm sure this will be fun.

Blackface is BAD, Europe, please don't do it.

Audioboxer

Wait, who the fuck does costumes for Christmas parties?

The same kind of asshole that faces this

Norwood was previously charged with drink driving in 2012 while at Forest Green, being banned from the road for 19 months.

Also football? Please

The 26-year-old joined the National League side in 2015 after spells at Eastbourne, Exeter and Forest Green

and yeah this guys career is done, especially considering even at lower levels of football the "kick racism out" campaign comes in hard.

We might have a pedo ring problem in our football currently being uncovered but we do tend to do pretty well with disciplining footballers for racism...

pbsapeer

Banned
Unbelievable. Tranmere are my home town team as he's scored a few goals this season. Totally changed my opinion of him. How can you think this is okay??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom