• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

Dark Rider

Oh, I'm sure you're right. But in fairness, Liverpool have plenty of bragging rights already, as much as it guts me to say it. I know it's been said by Liverpool fans that they always know where to find Everton - just look down the table, smdh. Maybe one day Everton will have some glory days again.

Yes but it is always good practice to never hand out more ammunition especially if the last one they had was a while ago. And this one is supposed to be held in the Goodison Park right? I don't think that is not enough motivation by itself to be honest :messenger_winking_tongue:

Oh, I'm sure you're right. But in fairness, Liverpool have plenty of bragging rights already, as much as it guts me to say it. I know it's been said by Liverpool fans that they always know where to find Everton - just look down the table, smdh. Maybe one day Everton will have some glory days again.

I hope that's the case. Fighting for a title against Everton would be a lot more fun than doing it against Man City. You can't beat a local rivalry.

DKehoe

Sounds like Werner is off to Chelsea.. I figured he would end up at Liverpool but it looks as though they won't be spending big this window.

Dark Rider

Sounds like Werner is off to Chelsea.. I figured he would end up at Liverpool but it looks as though they won't be spending big this window.

Relaxing FFP due to the clubs financial troubles will do wonders for some of them. I don't think it is set in stone he's going to Chelsea yet though, we'll see.

Dark Rider

Jerzy Dudek on almost punching Rafa Benítez to force leaving Liverpool and join Koln: "I had this crazy idea of punching him in the face. That whisper of the Devil was in my head, thinking that if I did, he would let me go to Koln."

If he did what team will take him after assaulting his manager?
What if Rafa filed a case against him?

Meowzers

I'm a Swansea fan. Would be nice to get back in EPL and beating Man Utd and Arsenal on the regular, but it's not gonna happen. Without fans at games from now on I feel we may be able to slightly sneak into play-offs.

We have Rhian Brewster that will be the Harry Kane in the next 6 years, but please believe me on that.

Once back in 1995 we took on an unknown Frank Lampard, that seemed to fade into obscurity lol.

Dark Rider

I'm a Swansea fan. Would be nice to get back in EPL and beating Man Utd and Arsenal on the regular, but it's not gonna happen. Without fans at games from now on I feel we may be able to slightly sneak into play-offs.

We have Rhian Brewster that will be the Harry Kane in the next 6 years, but please believe me on that.

Once back in 1995 we took on an unknown Frank Lampard, that seemed to fade into obscurity lol.

I see that you don't want the next Gareth Bale, is he a Cardiff fan?

Dark Rider

Keep in mind that Chelsea are coming out of a transfer ban so that might put them in a better place to spend than most.

That help a lot for sure but they already had a very wealthy owner who did throw money at transfers when he first bought Chelsea so this is not new for Chelsea. For me the number 1 factor is the owner and second factor is coming out of a transfer ban.

DKehoe

That help a lot for sure but they already had a very wealthy owner who did throw money at transfers when he first bought Chelsea so this is not new for Chelsea. For me the number 1 factor is the owner and second factor is coming out of a transfer ban.

Yeh but Abramovich has been a little more hesitant to sink money into Chelsea recently. For a while it seemed like some of the novelty had worn off and the UK government demanding answers about the source of his wealth so that he could get a UK visa meant he's not been around as much. But with how rich he is his resources are always going to be a factor.

Dark Rider

Yeh but Abramovich has been a little more hesitant to sink money into Chelsea recently. For a while it seemed like some of the novelty had worn off and the UK government demanding answers about the source of his wealth so that he could get a UK visa meant he's not been around as much. But with how rich he is his resources are always going to be a factor.

Yes the FFP implementation and Chelsea being slapped with it then the murder case and the subsequent fall out leading to Abramovich being bitter about the UK (especially this last point) is the reason why he was hesitant to spent, it had nothing to do with him objecting to throwing money around.

DKehoe

Yes the FFP implementation and Chelsea being slapped with it then the murder case and the subsequent fall out leading to Abramovich being bitter about the UK (especially this last point) is the reason why he was hesitant to spent, it had nothing to do with him objecting to throwing money around.

He did cancel the plans to build their new stadium. So he has been more hesitant to spend money in the same way he had previously and they haven't quite been spending in the way they used to.

Dark Rider

He did cancel the plans to build their new stadium. So he has been more hesitant to spend money in the same way he had previously and they haven't quite been spending in the way they used to.

That was after the fallout of the murder case right?

DKehoe

That was after the fallout of the murder case right?

Yeh, the U.K. government started increasing the pressure of Russian oligarchs and Abramovich was probably the one that fell under the most scrutiny. It’s why he’s now living in Israel rather than the U.K.

Dark Rider

Yeh, the U.K. government started increasing the pressure of Russian oligarchs and Abramovich was probably the one that fell under the most scrutiny. It’s why he’s now living in Israel rather than the U.K.

Exactly the point I was making, his hesitation started after that incident so it was the main cause.

Dark Rider

Manchester City's appeal against their two-year ban from UEFA competitions will be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport tonight and the hearing will be concluded in 3 days. A final ruling on the decision is expected to be in August.

We will find out how this will end soon.

EDIT:

"Soriano, @ManCity's CEO, has said #MCFC will bring 'irrefutable evidence that the claims are not true'. (…) A person with knowledge of the Uefa's investigations says: 'provided #Uefa don’t cave in, they should win at CAS... City have no evidence at all'.

EDIT2:

An unsuccessful appeal against UEFA ban could cost Man City more than £200m

Pocket change from Manchester City point of view.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

According to Pietro Balzano, Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus could partways in the upcoming transfer window. More updates to follow.

Pietro Balzano is tier 1 for AC Milan
but this is a Juventus matter :pie_thinking:

According to Pietro Balzano, Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus could partways in the upcoming transfer window. More updates to follow.

Pietro Balzano is tier 1 for AC Milan
but this is a Juventus matter :pie_thinking:

There have been rumors of such since he first signed, that he wouldn't play out the entire contract. I can see it being the case but I think COVID may have complicated any such move.

Dark Rider

There have been rumors of such since he first signed, that he wouldn't play out the entire contract. I can see it being the case but I think COVID may have complicated any such move.

That depend on the destination right?
Remember that FFP rules have been relaxed because of covid19 surely that help some clubs?

Dark Rider

Cerezo [Atletico Madrid President]: "Real Madrid can use the Wanda Metropolitano if they wish. It wouldn't be the first time, [Atletico played] the first matchday of the [1996/97] season at the Bernabeu because the [Estadio Vicente] Calderon was under construction work."

💞

That depend on the destination right?
Remember that FFP rules have been relaxed because of covid19 surely that help some clubs?
Doubtful. Any of the clubs that you'd think Ronaldo would want to go to or can afford him are not in the best places financially. Wages plus any transfer fee would be too big for all but 3-5 clubs.

Barca - no money
Real - no need/interest
Man City - no CL
Man U - no money
Bayern - no need/interest

Dark Rider

Doubtful. Any of the clubs that you'd think Ronaldo would want to go to or can afford him are not in the best places financially. Wages plus any transfer fee would be too big for all but 3-5 clubs.

Barca - no money
Real - no need/interest
Man City - no CL
Man U - no money
Bayern - no need/interest

Keep in mind that Ronaldo demands might a little bit less than usual. Not because he needs to but because it would be his final contract I think.

Keep in mind that Ronaldo demands might a little bit less than usual. Not because he needs to but because it would be his final contract I think.
Even with demands being lower, he's leaving a tax haven. So unless he's staying in Italy, even if he gets the same wages, he's getting less.

Dark Rider

Even with demands being lower, he's leaving a tax haven. So unless he's staying in Italy, even if he gets the same wages, he's getting less.

I think he will stay personally.
But it is possible that he move and taxes doesn't matter for the wealthiest owners what mattered more were FFP rules which got relaxed due to covid19 so all he has to do is say the word. I just don't think he will.

I think he will stay personally.
But it is possible that he move and taxes doesn't matter for the wealthiest owners what mattered more were FFP rules which got relaxed due to covid19 so all he has to do is say the word. I just don't think he will.
Taxes matter when a club paying a him a 30m salary can save +10m every year. In fact, considering covid, taxes matter even more than before as teams try to find creative ways to stretch funds.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Taxes matter when a club paying a him a 30m salary can save +10m every year. In fact, considering covid, taxes matter even more than before as teams try to find creative ways to stretch funds.

I look at PSG (for example from a financial point of view not that Ronaldo want to be there) and think taxes will not hold them back from throwing money at Ronaldo if he said the word, FFP rules were going to be the the only problem to PSG before they got relaxed.

Coppa Italia today, second leg.

Juventus v Milan (tied 1-1)

Coppa Italia tomorrow, second leg.

Napoli v Inter (Napoli leads 1-0)

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Bayern are very attentive to the situation of Achraf Hakimi and was the first club to inquire to Real Madrid. Hakimi wants to return to Real Madrid as long as he feels valued by the club.

I don't want him sold to be honest.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Rashford is such a credit to the club. Everything you could ask for from an academy player.

He is a class act. Same can't be said for most of the players who made the headlines during Lockdown. He will be rewarded with the BBC Sports Personality at the year's end, and hopefully get more players in similar positions to do good for their communities. Whatever club allegiance anyone has, I doubt anyone could have a bad word said about him.

DKehoe

He is a class act. Same can't be said for most of the players who made the headlines during Lockdown. He will be rewarded with the BBC Sports Personality at the year's end, and hopefully get more players in similar positions to do good for their communities. Whatever club allegiance anyone has, I doubt anyone could have a bad word said about him.

There's plenty of footballers who are twats and are rightly condemned. But footballers do tend to be a bit of an easy target people fall back on when there's lots who do amazing work too. Sadio Mané does some fantastic stuff.

Always proud of this guy being our boss. Being a bit of a sore loser against Atletico was the only time I didn't have the utmost admiration for Jurgen, but we're all allowed our weak moments. Head and heart in the right place.

Dark Rider

Zidane reaches his 200th match as Real Madrid coach: winning a trophy every 20 matches during his time as senior coach, In the 199 matches he has taken thus far, Zidane has 131 wins, 42 draws and 26 defeats with a grand total of 486 goals scored and 208 against.

We did win the 200th match too.

Dark Rider

Knock out fixtures' dates for the 12 days Champions League final stages in Portugal revealed, Final will be played on August 23rd

Remaining RO16 matches will be played on 7th and 8th of August
QF: August 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th
SF: August 18th and 19th
All will be played in Lisbon

Last edited:
Bayern Munich have won the 2019-20 Bundesliga

Pretty amazing how Flick turned around the team in such dramatic fashion. Seems like Thomas Muller has rediscovered his form too. Lewa is, well, Lewa. The rise of Davies means they have flexibility out the ass when it comes to their back four.

What a scary friggin' team.

Dark Rider

Pretty amazing how Flick turned around the team in such dramatic fashion. Seems like Thomas Muller has rediscovered his form too. Lewa is, well, Lewa. The rise of Davies means they have flexibility out the ass when it comes to their back four.

What a scary friggin' team.

They have all the time to prepare for the remaining matching of the UCL now, rest their players and go full force against teams who will have a very busy schedule. This will be a problem for whoever plays against them.

cuLhtiZ.jpg

Top Bottom