• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

Dark Rider

[Toni Kroos] on his Podcast: "The dismissal of Lopetegui was the one that hurt me the most personally because he is a top manager and a top person. He just had a real shit moment when he became coach here. [...] I was extremely happy for him when his Sevilla won the EL"

Dark Rider

[ESPNUK]Since Klopp said Chelsea were favourites to win the title, Lampard’s team have lost more games than Liverpool, Man United, Man City, Spurs and Leicester combined. Only Sheffield United have lost more times in the past 45 days.

:pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

Police reports Breel Embolo has been identified as person fleeing over the roof in a nearby apartment as police arrived to shutdown a party with 23 people on saturday night

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dark Rider

[Peter Gilmour] Arsenal make approach to Real Madrid for Martin Odegaard

Pay up 180M

[José Félix Díaz] Odegaard is set to join Real Sociedad on loan till end of the season.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[CD Alcoyano] from Segunda B (Spanish Third Division) has knocked out Real Madrid from Copa del Rey in the Round of 32 after beating them 2-1

cyber_ninja

[ESPNUK]Since Klopp said Chelsea were favourites to win the title, Lampard’s team have lost more games than Liverpool, Man United, Man City, Spurs and Leicester combined. Only Sheffield United have lost more times in the past 45 days.

:pie_thinking:

Fat Frank is about to get sacked.

Moogle11

Banned
All that being said I want to note that I'm not singling out Arsenal with this problem about the players sinking their club and forcing managers out who don't appease them, most the top clubs have this plague at the moment so Arsenal are not alone in this.

All I’ll say is that I just don’t see this as a current, major issue at Arsenal. The front office is gone, Arteta seems to have if not final say, nearly so along with Edu on personnel moves. The players that were causing issues like Ozil and Guendouzi were frozen out and shipped out by Arteta. Yeah, the board had issues with Ozil and the comments he made, but Arteta talked him up when he was hired, played him quite a bit early on in his tenure. Ozil mostly stunk and was lazy on the pitch and Arteta got sick of it and never played him again as he won’t accept less than fully effort. He just publicly slammed Maintland-Niles for not working hard enough the other day as well, pretty much outright saying that he needs to decide if he wants to work hard enough to to be in the team or not.

So I think Arteta has plenty of power and say. There are defintely deadweight players that are a negative influence that need shown the door. That’s been happening and is an ongoing process. A lot of players they tried to sell over the summer just didn’t happen as the transfer market was tight with clubs struggling financially with having no fans since March or whenever. More are being shipped out, some will just have contracts run out and Arteta is largely moving forward with the hardworking, positive influence players by playing so many young players while more experienced and higher wage players don’t see the pitch or are relegated to Europa league games.

Hence me saying if he fails, it’s on him. In my eyes he has plenty of say in personnel matters, especially for a super young manger in his first job. He’s made/sanctioned one bad move in given Willian 3 years at high wages. He and Edu need to get any moves this window right (or just do a loan to play it safe) and especially this summer (need a creative midfielder, a CB to replace Luiz and an RB to challenge or replace Bellerin) as he’ll need to show progress next year to not be canned or at least feel his seat getting very hot.

Dark Rider

All I’ll say is that I just don’t see this as a current, major issue at Arsenal. The front office is gone, Arteta seems to have if not final say, nearly so along with Edu on personnel moves. The players that were causing issues like Ozil and Guendouzi were frozen out and shipped out by Arteta. Yeah, the board had issues with Ozil and the comments he made, but Arteta talked him up when he was hired, played him quite a bit early on in his tenure. Ozil mostly stunk and was lazy on the pitch and Arteta got sick of it and never played him again as he won’t accept less than fully effort. He just publicly slammed Maintland-Niles for not working hard enough the other day as well, pretty much outright saying that he needs to decide if he wants to work hard enough to to be in the team or not.

The board were still hopeful to salvage some money from selling him so it was in their best interest that he plays to drive value for the player but when it was clear he will fleece them for every pinny and leave on free the board were fine with him disappearing from all sheets.
Guendouzi caused an uproar from the fans so him getting punished is not a proof of any power to be honest it was just appeasing the fans. I'll address MN in the point I'm making in my next quote.

So I think Arteta has plenty of power and say. There are defintely deadweight players that are a negative influence that need shown the door. That’s been happening and is an ongoing process. A lot of players they tried to sell over the summer just didn’t happen as the transfer market was tight with clubs struggling financially with having no fans since March or whenever. More are being shipped out, some will just have contracts run out and Arteta is largely moving forward with the hardworking, positive influence players by playing so many young players while more experienced and higher wage players don’t see the pitch or are relegated to Europa league games.

Yes the transfer market is in bad shape but the Arsenal board realise now that they are over paying those players and they can get the same results for cheaper so they want to ship them out, the problem is that the other clubs know they are over payed and will not pay for them. The UEL is Arsenal ticket to the UCL at the moment and with those players (young or experienced) I don't really see them winning it. The group that Arsenal had was a joke by the way.

Hence me saying if he fails, it’s on him. In my eyes he has plenty of say in personnel matters, especially for a super young manger in his first job. He’s made/sanctioned one bad move in given Willian 3 years at high wages. He and Edu need to get any moves this window right (or just do a loan to play it safe) and especially this summer (need a creative midfielder, a CB to replace Luiz and an RB to challenge or replace Bellerin) as he’ll need to show progress next year to not be canned or at least feel his seat getting very hot.

I think we will keep disagreeing about how much power Arteta has, time will tell everything. The players will be shipped anyway because they are over payed and Arsenal board want cheaper. The real question will the new players be able to keep sinking the ship and getting Arsenal to sack the manager? we will see.

What Areselan REALY need to do is PAY UP for Ceballos

He spent more time playing golf than football in the past two years.

When he first went back to Spurs Jose said something to the tune that the power of love will heal him back to be the Bale they always knew. Jose and everyone assumption was that Bale situation was not entirely his own creation/fault. They can see now it was all on Bale himself.

What can I even say at this point LOL pretty bad football right now.

It all will go back on track eventually so no worries but you will miss out on trophies until then.

Dark Rider

[UEFA] Statement by FIFA and the Six Confederations about the Super League

Against the super league.

European Super League would have six Premier League teams – each paid up to £310m to join | Fifa and Uefa issue joint statement to warn that players taking part would be blacklisted and banned from World Cups

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Romano] Martin Ødegaard is ‘tempted’ by Arsenal loan bid, he’s gonna decide together with his family. Real Sociedad are in advanced talks to sign him by one week [leading the race over Ajax], always been Martin’s priority by months. #AFC offer led him to take hours/days of reflection.

Pay up for Ceballos first Arsenal

Dark Rider

Victor Nilsson Lindelöf ran after and stopped a man who had stolen the purse of a 90-year old lady. The man has now been sentenced for his crime. "He was incredible. He ran over footbridges and walls. You could tell that he had fantastic strength and form"

Dark Rider

[Sportface] OFFICIAL: Spezia have been awarded a 3-0 win in the Coppa Italia fixture against Roma after the Giallorossi have done 6 substitutions

Roma made the 6th sub on 2-2

Tschumi

Football fan in me is sad that Liverpool are going sour and Klopp is kinda going the way he went at Dortmund... I knew Klopp was on a mission from the moment they signed him, but yeah since they won the league I've actually (temporarily, I think) lost all interest in football... I'm not a Liverpool fan per se but it was just such a good story that I dunno if it can be topped - I mean Mourinho winning it with Spurs (unlikely) would be a big deal but it wouldn't be feel good... because everything Mourinho touches turns to spiritual doo-doo... and like man utd would probably win it despite themselves :p rather than for any kind of inspiring reason (all props to Rashford)... Yeah. c'est tout.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Football fan in me is sad that Liverpool are going sour and Klopp is kinda going the way he went at Dortmund... I knew Klopp was on a mission from the moment they signed him, but yeah since they won the league I've actually (temporarily, I think) lost all interest in football... I'm not a Liverpool fan per se but it was just such a good story that I dunno if it can be topped - I mean Mourinho winning it with Spurs (unlikely) would be a big deal but it wouldn't be feel good... because everything Mourinho touches turns to spiritual doo-doo... and like man utd would probably win it despite themselves :p rather than for any kind of inspiring reason (all props to Rashford)... Yeah. c'est tout.

Have you checked out Atlético Madrid last league title?
You can also check out their current season too.

And Welcome to the Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support?

Dark Rider

[Atlético de Madrid] Today, 110 years ago, Atleti used the iconic red and white stripes in their kits for the first time. Before that, their kits were half white and half blue.

Tschumi

Have you checked out Atlético Madrid last league title?
You can also check out their current season too.

And Welcome to the Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support?
At Madrid would be nice, but La Liga has been so uninteresting for the last decade that I struggle to find interest in it :p Worst part about it is how Barca have fallen from whatever joyful thing they were at the start of the 10s into such a trainwreck :p that unicef sponsorship didn't last long once they started wanting to buy talent instead of use la masia~

i wouldn't say i really support any one team. i like bayern, dortmund, wolfsburg, liverpool, arsenal (when they're not depressing)... i chose those teams to show how varied my likes are :p but yeah i thought liverpool was the best story of the last decade or so, since fenway sports took it over. You could see what a difference competent management made, even before klopp came they were making smart signings - despite their managers... yup!

Dark Rider

At Madrid would be nice, but La Liga has been so uninteresting for the last decade that I struggle to find interest in it :p

I think it depend on what you are looking for watching games and what you enjoy about it that is why different people have different prefered leagues, providing they are actually watching enough games to judge a league. Objectively though in terms of football quality on the pitch I think the majority would say La Liga were the best in the last decade. But again that might not be what you are after watching games :messenger_smiling:

Worst part about it is how Barca have fallen from whatever joyful thing they were at the start of the 10s into such a trainwreck :p

It is the end of the cycle of having one of the best players ever play for them, it was bound to happen because players like Messi are almost impossible to replace immediately. Bouncing back after that take time so as long as the club hold it together they will be fine but for the time being they are feeling the pain of what they are losing.

that unicef sponsorship didn't last long once they started wanting to buy talent instead of use la masia~

This statement is a testament that propaganda works :pie_thinking:

i wouldn't say i really support any one team. i like bayern, dortmund, wolfsburg, liverpool, arsenal (when they're not depressing)... i chose those teams to show how varied my likes are :p

People can enjoy other clubs playing beside their club :messenger_beaming:
It is most certainly fine too if you don't have a club as long as you are enjoying what you are watching :messenger_smiling:

but yeah i thought liverpool was the best story of the last decade or so, since fenway sports took it over. You could see what a difference competent management made, even before klopp came they were making smart signings - despite their managers... yup!

If you are talking strictly BPL then is it better than Leicester City winning the league 2015/2016? :pie_thinking:
Are you per chancs a fan of other sport clubs owned by Fenway group?

Tschumi

I think it depend on what you are looking for watching games and what you enjoy about it that is why different people have different prefered leagues, providing they are actually watching enough games to judge a league. Objectively though in terms of football quality on the pitch I think the majority would say La Liga were the best in the last decade. But again that might not be what you are after watching games :messenger_smiling:
They're certainly the best divers in the last decade ^_^ and ref harassers, and some of them are pretty unbeatably dirty...

soccer_peekaboo.gif

X6vRPk.gif

... I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, but in a past life i played low level professional futsal (not a particularly big deal i know) and i have nothing but contempt for pretty much everything we see in a liga match :p in terms of attitude and honesty.

Disclaimer: it absolutely happens in every other league. And it's a cultural thing in Spain, among other places, i know. We're just talking about la liga here so~

If we're going by ECL wins we might say la liga dominated the last decade, but it was actually a handful of liga teams, not the league.. and it was at least as much to do with traditional opponents being weak as la liga teams being strong - man utd and co, all wrecked... Pep doing his best to undermine Bayern's golden generation by selling kroos and doing away with their incredible vertical game... Of course, zidane got the most out of Messi, can't deny it. Didn't mean la liga is a particularly good league.

(Still, better than serie A)

I don't think about League is better, per se, but i do think there are more interesting leagues, which is how I'd measure "best"ness.

It is the end of the cycle of having one of the best players ever play for them, it was bound to happen because players like Messi are almost impossible to replace immediately. Bouncing back after that take time so as long as the club hold it together they will be fine but for the time being they are feeling the pain of what they are losing.

I don't really think that's what had gone wrong with Barca. Their greatest success, under pep, was built in la masia, but under subsequent coaches their corrupt and/or incompetent presidents have bankrupted the club on hugely expensive signings. The club's lost its soul, Messi won't enjoy playing with some random megastar anywhere near as much as he would enjoy playing with his la masia team mates again~ if Barca are to get to the top again, that need to do a Dortmund (except being a selling club), focus on quality of youth training and promotion from within.
I dunno what propoganda you're referring to, it seems logical to me that they became pep's barca without needing a shirt sponsorship megadeal, but they reached setien's Barca with plenty of sponsorship money.
It is most certainly fine too if you don't have a club as long as you are enjoying what you are watching :messenger_smiling:
Well put :) I'm not interested enough in any one team to risk having their arch rival fanbase detest me for no reason :p i just try to enjoy what i can for each team.
If Ifu are talking strictly BPL then is it better than Leicester City winning the league 2015/2016? :pie_thinking:
Leicester was a fantastic story, easily one of my favourite teams of the decade, kind of wish they could do it again this season. But Liverpool was just, against huge odds, relentless, smart, long time coming, boundless energy.. just an epic story. Shame COVID-19 complicated it all, and ruined their down time... Those guys can't gegenpress for 600 days straight lol...

I love chatting like this, let's agree to enjoy taking apart eachother's views without taking it to heart and feeling insulted... Opinions about football are part of the love of football, imo... If i can exchange thoughtful views with you, agreeing or otherwise, I'll feel fortunate for the chance.

Prison Mike

Banned

If you are talking strictly BPL then is it better than Leicester City winning the league 2015/2016? :pie_thinking:
Or better than aguero vs qpr 93.20

Dark Rider

[Ian Wright] Wenger came in. No salt, no anything. Everything was just for fuel. Couldn't have tea. I shared a room with Dennis. I snuck in some tea bags. Dennis said, "Okay. The whole team is doing it, but you're not doing it. When we need you most, you're probably going to let us down."

Tschumi

As much as a sky blue, or anti red, might want it to happen, a first Man City League title born of financial doping isn't quite as good as what klopp did with Liverpool. Or Leicester.. especially Leicester...

That's not too say i think what they did was crap, like my previous post I'm not here to get into arguments. That goal was a great moment for city.. but, as a neutral, even as i was watching it in real time (joey le bartón what a turd lol) i was not getting the same resonance with the commentator saying "aguerOOOOOOO" as I'd had with the kind of stuff they used to say about Gerrard, Lampard, Henry, Zidane and such... They bought it.

Sure, they had to go out and win it, and all power to them, but I'm pretty sure that team would be illegal today (until FIFA lost their bottle about FFA and let them off the hook, as they did recently) and it was built in a couple of years on the back of extreme wealth. Would've been better if they won it back when they had Michael Johnson, Stephen Ireland, Elano and Martin friggin Petrov, Richard Dunne and co, on the pitch. And Joe Hart in correctly fitting britches..

Last edited:

Dark Rider

They're certainly the best divers in the last decade ^_^ and ref harassers, and some of them are pretty unbeatably dirty...

soccer_peekaboo.gif

X6vRPk.gif

... I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, but in a past life i played low level professional futsal (not a particularly big deal i know) and i have nothing but contempt for pretty much everything we see in a liga match :p in terms of attitude and honesty.

Disclaimer: it absolutely happens in every other league. And it's a cultural thing in Spain, among other places, i know. We're just talking about la liga here so~

Everyone have their faults and diving is one of those indeed but the quality of football played on the pitch still was the best but again if you were looking for different things watching the games you would weigh different aspects of the game different than I.

If we're going by ECL wins we might say la liga dominated the last decade, but it was actually a handful of liga teams, not the league..

It was not just the Champions League, La Liga also dominated Europa League which is the competition of for the clubs below the top clubs so middle table La Liga dominated middle table the other top league too.
Also no league can have all their league clubs play in Europe each season only a handful of clubs are allowed into European competitions from each league and if both top and middle table clubs of La Liga dominated the other leagues top and middle table clubs I think that says something.

and it was at least as much to do with traditional opponents being weak as la liga teams being strong - man utd and co, all wrecked... Pep doing his best to undermine Bayern's golden generation by selling kroos and doing away with their incredible vertical game... Of course, zidane got the most out of Messi, can't deny it. Didn't mean la liga is a particularly good league.

(Still, better than serie A)

People can see the quality displayed by La Liga clubs during their European dominance, it was clear it didn't matter what other form were as La Liga clubs were top form and winning it anyway. "you weren't good I just let you win" is VERY convenient of an excuse to be honest.
Pep did an inside job? :pie_thinking:
Pep does not play vertical game and the Bayern board know this so when they signed him they knew what they are getting with him, a possession based style.
Pep did not sell Kroos and should not be blamed for it, it was Bayern own doing as the board thought he was not worth the wadges he was demanding.

I don't think about League is better, per se, but i do think there are more interesting leagues, which is how I'd measure "best"ness.

You enjoy what you enjoy and there is nothing wrong with that and you can rank leagues based on what you enjoy that is completely fine :messenger_smiling:
What I'm arguing is not what you or I enjoy about the game thought but the objective quality of the "gameplay" so to speak on the pitch and I think most critics and fans in general do rank La Liga as the best league in the last decade. We can have our priorities on which aspect is more important or what make a league better of course but that is a personal thing with personal bias I'd say.

I don't really think that's what had gone wrong with Barca. Their greatest success, under pep, was built in la masia, but under subsequent coaches their corrupt and/or incompetent presidents have bankrupted the club on hugely expensive signings. The club's lost its soul, Messi won't enjoy playing with some random megastar anywhere near as much as he would enjoy playing with his la masia team mates again~ if Barca are to get to the top again, that need to do a Dortmund (except being a selling club), focus on quality of youth training and promotion from within.

They had a golden generation graduate at the same time to cover most parts of the pitch. They could not produce the same quality again and that is normal because having a generation all together at the same time is actually rare (for example Manchester United had this occur to them too with 1992 generation) so they had to buy to fill up all their needs. Now the quality and business sides of their attempts to fill in the gaps fell short indeed but the reason it was needed was that the academy did not have the same quality as the Messi generation so you can't blame them for trying to keep the club at the same level by buying players.

Look at the top 5 Leagues and check all the players playing in the top flight then reference what academy they came from and you will be surprised how many come from the top clubs and how many clubs are shoulder to shoulder with Barcelona academy or even better in fact. The thing is though producing top players is not enough for those elite clubs because they need elite players that are the best not just top players. So from within or without it does not matter for the elite clubs as long as they have the best so they maintain their elite status.

I dunno what propoganda you're referring to, it seems logical to me that they became pep's barca without needing a shirt sponsorship megadeal, but they reached setien's Barca with plenty of sponsorship money.

Barcelona (understandably for marketing, business and money reasons) propaganda that their academy is more special than the rest of the top clubs. In fact I repeat my invitation to again to look at the top 5 Leagues and check all the players playing in the top flight then reference what academy they came from and you will be surprised how many come from the top clubs and while Barcelona academy is among them it is not better than the rest in anyway.

Well put :) I'm not interested enough in any one team to risk having their arch rival fanbase detest me for no reason :p i just try to enjoy what i can for each team.

Just enjoy yourself :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
But don't let any fear of being detested deter you from having a team, it is all banter :messenger_beaming:

Leicester was a fantastic story, easily one of my favourite teams of the decade, kind of wish they could do it again this season. But Liverpool was just, against huge odds, relentless, smart, long time coming, boundless energy.. just an epic story. Shame COVID-19 complicated it all, and ruined their down time... Those guys can't gegenpress for 600 days straight lol...

I guess if you had already established bias toward them you would feel it was more special and that is fine because you have a leaning.
COVID hit all teams so Liverpool don't have any excuses that the others (who are leading tables) don't have.

I love chatting like this, let's agree to enjoy taking apart eachother's views without taking it to heart and feeling insulted... Opinions about football are part of the love of football, imo... If i can exchange thoughtful views with you, agreeing or otherwise, I'll feel fortunate for the chance.

Of course mate sorry if my directness sound insulting it is not my intention, I just discuss things honestly and don't take it to heart and I like hearing others honest views too :messenger_beaming:

I Like Ramos 92:48 in UCL better to be honest :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
So no team except the so called old guard are allowed to spend money. Yes we spent alot but we came from div 2 all the way up to prem and when we got took over the chairman was ambitious and wanted what the club deserves titles and trophies look how he has transformed the stadium the youth facilities the community i love the fact everyone hates us now its better than watching us lose to york 1.0 n be a laughing stock.

Tschumi

Prison Mike Prison Mike i said that first title win wasn't as big a deal as Liverpool or Leicester. I didn't say all this butthurt stuff you've listed off :p

Ps. Did the abu dhabi investment group get you from div2 to the epl? I didn't think so, from memory.. i think i remember you being in the EPL for a number of seasons before you got bought out... correct me if I'm wrong....

Dark Rider Dark Rider thanks for your thoughtful reply, I'll give my thoughts when i next have enough time, it looks like my comments have hit a nerve, i was commenting on the league, and it's teams, not on you for your opinions

Prison Mike

Banned
Tschumi Tschumi no butt hurt comments friend i understand the Leicester comment as that was unreal but liverpool i dont agree they are one of biggest clubs in world who have spent a shit ton of money so no suprise they won it eventually. We got bk to prem then bought out yes but as a city fan from maine road era i never expected to see us win the league ever

Dark Rider

Dark Rider Dark Rider thanks for your thoughtful reply, I'll give my thoughts when i next have enough time, it looks like my comments have hit a nerve, i was commenting on the league, and it's teams, not on you for your opinions

This is me just going a little in depth discussing things my friend, ask the regulars around and they would tell you that I like to discuss things in depth with whoever enjoy the discussion and have done it with a few before you. Rest assured me discussing it with you has nothing to do with striking nerves it was just you were willing to discuss it so I went with it that is really all. I have stated multiple times that you and I can have our own opinions but for me the fun is in discussing the differences in those opinions more than stating them but this is just me.

I don't mean to scare you away from the thread for a sport you enjoy so just have fun :messenger_beaming:

LAMPARD HAS BEEN SACKED GET IN!!! TUCHEL SET TO COME IN ON A 4.5 YEAR DEAL

NINTCHDBPICT000627927358.jpg

I really wonder if Chelsea are aiming for a long term or short term solution :pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] Martin Ødegaard to Arsenal, here we go! The agreement has been reached after last contacts today between #AFC and Real Madrid. 🇳🇴 Loan until the end of the season, salary paid by Arsenal. Arteta’s call key to convince the player. Medicals pending - then deal will be announced.

Tschumi

I really wonder if Chelsea are aiming for a long term or short term solution :pie_thinking:
This is an all kneejerk decision imo, like something from the late 00s, just awful. Pump a team full of strangers and sack the manager when he doesn't achieve alchemy and instantly challenge for a title.. utter rubbish. Anyone who still thinks being allowed to spend a lot should guarantee results is a dinosaur.

[Fabrizio Romano] Martin Ødegaard to Arsenal, here we go! The agreement has been reached after last contacts today between #AFC and Real Madrid. 🇳🇴 Loan until the end of the season, salary paid by Arsenal. Arteta’s call key to convince the player. Medicals pending - then deal will be announced.

This is great, another example of why I'm happy to find joy in any team doing something interesting.. extremely interested to see how this one time wunderkind can go.

Dark Rider

This is an all kneejerk decision imo, like something from the late 00s, just awful. Pump a team full of strangers and sack the manager when he doesn't achieve alchemy and instantly challenge for a title.. utter rubbish. Anyone who still thinks being allowed to spend a lot should guarantee results is a dinosaur.

To be honest I think Lampard is not fully ready yet so he need time to hone his craft and Chelsea don't want to give him that because they want trophies as soon as possible.

This is great, another example of why I'm happy to find joy in any team doing something interesting.. extremely interested to see how this one time wunderkind can go.

He has great potential but has a big problem in his knee that may require him to change his style, I wish him the best.

DKehoe

x4KV2Ut.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom