• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For his 85th Birthday, John Williams Gives the Gift of THE LAST JEDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDesu

It's been absolutely bugging me for ages that no one else seems to have noticed.. but the first three notes of Rey's theme match up with I believe one of the pieces of music used around the Emperor... ("The Emperor" track from the ROTJ album). The main first three notes are the same, you know when he's killing Luke, but in a different octave or whatever, it's the first three notes of Rey's theme!

Someone else please see this! Must mean something ;)

Edit: it's much easier to hear the connection right at the end of Rey's Theme from TFA soundtrack. About the 3 minute mark you can hear it.

It's hard to imagine his successor being anyone but Giachinno, but there's no way Disney, Lucasfilm, and Giachinno himself would let anyone but Williams score IX while he draws breath.

Yeah, I'm hoping John does it even if just so that he'll have scored all three trilogies. IX would probably be his last though, and surely there'll be Episode X eventually. I think that's when Giacchino would pick it up for main series composer.

TheXbox

It's hard to imagine his successor being anyone but Giachinno, but there's no way Disney, Lucasfilm, and Giachinno himself would let anyone but Williams score IX while he draws breath.
Williams sounded weary about scoring VIII. It's not so much his age as his (understandable) exhaustion with the franchise. TLJ is probably his last.

It's been absolutely bugging me for ages that no one else seems to have noticed.. but the first three notes of Rey's theme match up with I believe one of the pieces of music used around the Emperor... ("The Emperor" track from the ROTJ album). The main first three notes are the same, you know when he's killing Luke, but in a different octave or whatever, it's the first three notes of Rey's theme!

It's also the first three notes of Princess Zelda's theme! Rey is a Hylian confirmed! :p

But nah, composers do frequently easter egg music. I think in this case it's a coincidence-- but if we do find out for whatever reason that Rey is somehow tied to Palpatine (just saying if that were the case) then I think this would have more merit to it.

Like how during the celebration parade in Episode I, Williams does a festive rendition of Palpatine's theme. But that character is actually part of that scene, so it's not coincidence.

It may be an intentional nod possibly foreshadowing what happens in the future films, or probably just a coincidence. A lot of composers have similar sounding themes, sometimes intentional, and sometimes not.

WillyFive

John Williams is pretty big into leitmotifs, but unless he was briefed on future plot lines, it's probably just a coincidence. John Williams loves certain sounds and notes and uses them from time to time, across different films and franchises.

It sounds like a collection of assorted Williams-isms. It doesn't get my blood pumping nor does it positively (or negatively) affect the scene. It's just background noise.

The Millennium Falcon chase is the least good part of the entire score, but the buildup to the chase was still excellent, with the use of Finn's chase theme and the return of the Falcon trumpet solo (played around with comically when Rey first tries to get it of the ground).

It sounds like a collection of assorted Williams-isms. It doesn't get my blood pumping nor does it positively (or negatively) affect the scene. It's just background noise.

I don't know what does get your blood pumping tbh.

That's a damn good track with a distinctive melody and fast pace. It doesn't sound random to me at all. The melody is in your face clear. Background noise?

At least there's an actual theme with an actual melody, which is more than I can say for a lot of scores these days.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Amateur dude.

How dare you

That's a damn good track with a distinctive melody and fast pace. It doesn't sound random to me at all. The melody is in your face clear. Background noise?

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Randdalf

Oh man this gets me excited.

I saw the score for E.T. played live by orchestra to the film last December, it was absolutely glorious. Especially the last 15 minutes.

dabig2

This is what made Morricone's work in Sergio Leone's films so great. Hell, for a couple of Leone's films, he played the already-finished score through a loudspeaker as they shot some scenes.

Surprised it took 50+ posts till someone mentioned the master of this. Leone/Morricone was epic and a good reason as to why Leone's films work so well is that he let Morricone essentially guide him with his music. I don't think those films work as well if they went the traditional way of music production.

So hopefully we get a masterpiece with this as John Williams is the GOAT already.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I really don't think so bro.

It was during the prequels that JW willed as much of his warlock powers into his music. Say what you will about ROTS, but good lord did he unload all of his blockbuster genre might into that.

jett

D-Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Ppk66I8J4

I said it some time ago, I wish the Giacc had taken over the reins for this franchise revival from the start. I haven't watched/listened to Rogue One so I don't really know how he did there though.

What can I say, it does nothing for me. I listened to it again, but I still don't get it. Oh well, music is subjective and all that.

It was during the prequels that JW willed as much of his warlock powers into his music. Say what you will about ROTS, but good lord did he unload all of his blockbuster genre might into that.

His ROTS score justifies the existence of that movie. Outstanding stuff. His last great work, along with Munich.

I said it some time ago, I wish the Giacc had taken over the reins for this franchise revival from the start. I haven't watched/listened to Rogue One so I don't really know how he did there though.

While I want to fite you I can't because of your love of Giacchino. :p

I don't wish that Giacchino did Episode VII, VIII or IX (still could do IX) as I think Williams has once again powerfully defined with Rey's theme and Kylo's, but at least when Williams is done we'll not have to fret over things.

rekameohs

Banned

To me, it's not nearly as good as his Star Trek stuff, but it's understandable given how little time he had to create it. Either way, I think the franchise will be in good hands even once Williams retires.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
No need to promote violence where there is none.

He didn't do this, most movie trailers do not feature music from their scores.

Not yet there isn't!

Also, agree with jett on this particular scene. Sure it has a melody to it, doesn't stop it from sounding generic tho. I dunno, just doesn't seem to fit the scene. Or rather, the music itself is kinda....ehh. But to be less hyperbolic, I just find Williams is much better with themes for characters and less so with knowing what a scene needs (with a few exceptions). Especially action sequences. He created some great pieces that are memorable and fit a character/movie very well. Just don't find him a great spotter and that clip you posted shows imo.

Also, agree with jett. Sure it has a melody to it, doesn't stop it from sounding generic tho. I dunno, just doesn't seem to fit the scene. Or rather, the music itself is kinda....ehh. But to be less hyperbolic, I just find Williams is much better with themes for characters and less so with knowing what a scene needs (with a few exceptions). Especially action sequences. He created some great pieces that are memorable and fit a character/movie very well. Just don't find him a great spotter and that clip you posted shows imo.

l0HeiKe6XzX7Zoolq.gif

Surfinn

Funny, I was just thinking that holy shit.. This film releases in months. Then this news hits. Somewhere.. JW is recording brand new music for a film that's got a chance to deliver in all the ways TFA did not.

More hyped for this than TFA in all honesty.

JW is a fucking genius. I hope he remains healthy, happy, and composing for years to come.

Nah, it's a terrible score done at the last minute for a rushed film.
Bullshit.

WillyFive

Nah, it's a terrible score done at the last minute for a rushed film.

The Force Awakens' score was the opposite of rushed. John Williams spent from December 2014 to November 2015 writing and recording the score; and music critics called it a masterpiece and got him an Oscar nod.

The Force Awakens' score was the opposite of rushed. John Williams spent from December 2014 to November 2015 writing and recording the score.

Maybe dude thought he was talking Rogue One?

I mean, he's still wrong about it being terrible if that's the case. But that might explain why he thought the score was rushed.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

WillyFive

OG is superior!

But tbf to Giachhino, he got like a few weeks to do it right? Still prefer Desplat tho. I was very mehh on the Dr. Strange theme Giacchino created, but after seeing the movie (and loving it) I'm down with his Dr. Strange theme. Hope he gets to re-do ALL Marvel characters. That is where I'd rather see him.

I'm excited to see what he does with Spiderman. IMO, Alan Silvestri should have been the one composer for all MCU movies (and glad he's back doing Infinity War); but now that Giachhino is doing some of them I'm excited to hear what he has in store. His Doctor Strange score was excellent.

Surfinn

OG is superior!

But tbf to Giachhino, he got like a few weeks to do it right? Still prefer Desplat tho. I was very mehh on the Dr. Strange theme Giacchino created, but after seeing the movie (and loving it) I'm down with his Dr. Strange theme. Hope he gets to re-do ALL Marvel characters. That is where I'd rather see him.
Is there any chance of Desplat's score being released in some form?

Didn't he record essentially a full score?

WillyFive

Is there any chance of Desplat's score being released in some form?

There's no proof that score ever existed (and if it did, Giachinno never got to hear it); but you might hear a bit of it in Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets, which is his next work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom