• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Williams Live in Vienna

Aggelos

A combination of John Williams and the renowned Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra is something highly praiseworthy and mentionable.
This is film score magic here.

John Williams and Wiener Philharmoniker create movie magic.

Greeted on stage at the Musikverein with a standing ovation before a single note had been played Williams described the chance to work with the Wiener Philharmoniker as “one of the greatest honours of my life". During the concert Williams was joined on the Musikverein stage by Anne-Sophie Mutter to perform a series of virtuosic adaptations written specially for her by Williams, including “Hedwig’s Theme” from the Harry Potter films, “Devil’s Dance” from The Witches of Eastwick and the Theme from Sabrina.

“Anne-Sophie Mutter is many things,” Williams said, as he introduced her. “She is one of the world’s greatest violinists; she is a wonderful mother; she brings honour to her country. And in going to Australia, Asia, South America, North America, Europe, she’s indeed a very great world citizen.”
The album will be released on August 14 in audio and video across CD, vinyl, Blu‑ray video and in digital audio and visual formats in both stereo and Dolby Atmos surround mixes. The first pre-release single from the album, ‘Imperial March’ from Star Wars, is available now in both audio and video.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I wish John William would do a concert like we have with Studio Ghibli 25 years in Budokan.
A massive concert hall with thousands of musicians and 3 hours of glorious music.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There's always pressure on good soundtracks it's what internet nerds notice first lol

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Maynard Ferguson might well claim to be more memorable over the last fifty years. Tough question though, there is a LOT of memorable themes, and quite a few composers spring to mind.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
when he goes, that will be sad. the man is a living legend.

do we have anyone who has written a single score as memorable as some of the stuff JW tossed off?

Hans Zimmer
James Horner
Howard Shore
Alan Silvestri

Is that good enough for you? Or do I have to ask 7 billion people what their take on your silly question is? Because your opinion on what people think are memorable scores and composers is the only one that matters.

Fbh

we do? what is it?

show me a new movie score as memorable as E.T. or Jurassic Park. you can't just say "yes" without providing an example.
I love the work of John Williams but, for example, the work of Howard Shore on the LOTR trilogy has nothing to envy from any other movie soundtrack

Aggelos

Necro-bump. Why?
Because we love John Williams and the top music ensembles of the world, i.e. Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.
So, next up John Williams conducts the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. Album coming out in February.

WpOSw5d.jpg
arqi61v.jpg

Last edited:

Aggelos

Last edited:
Top Bottom