• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Observer's Favourite Film Scenes Ever Shot || What are ours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qP1CMkOSDQ#t=3m23s

2yowvox.gif

Montresor

Inglourious Basterds: The bar scene

basterds+tavern+scene.jpg

My favourite scene from Inglourious Basterds, besides the opening dialogue between Colonel Landa and Mr. Lapadite. I love the card game, the German language, the tension between the characters, the British agent's odd accent, Stiglitz's disgusted face he made towards the Gestapo officer, the Brit giving himself away when he ordered the drinks, and the way it all culminated, in a deadly bloodbath.

My absolute favourite moment in the scene is when the Gestapo officer stops the music, and says that he too, like Maximilion's father, finds the British agent's German accent very odd. You knew shit got real at that very moment.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
No Country for Old Men - Hotel Shootout

Zodiac - Lake Berryessa Murder. Truly disturbing, I will never get this scene out of my mind.

Alien - Exploring the Crashed Ship. Basically I'm in love with the first 20 minutes of this movie. Everything from when they leave the Nostromo to when they return is fucking brilliant.

Rear Window - The Dead Dog Scene. Jimmy Stewart makes a note about which neighbor didn't come to their window when the woman screamed upon finding the corpse of her dog. We then get a shot of Thorwald's apartment. The lights are off, it looks totally abandoned save for the glow of Thorwald's cigar as he sits in the darkness listening to the fruits of his evil. I get chills every time.

Boogie Nights - Jessie's Girl

Dead Man

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
-Ferris wheel scene in The Third Man

-Tracking shot date in Goodfellas

-Opening scene of The Godfather (rather obvious one)

-The scene in Punch-Drunk Love where Barry confronts the Mattress King

-Hotel room scene in Breathless (though this is an abnormally long one, clocking in at around 25 minutes)

-The first party scene in Boogie Nights
Come to post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWYe-Ef3u5M

Edit: OP has great choices.

Also quoting these for greatness.
Darkgran said:
The Breaking of the Fellowship

The last 10 minutes of FOTR is Amazing.
_Isaac said:
I thought of two.

Requiem for a Dream - Ellen Burstyn's monologue when Harry gives her a visit. Her performance in that movie is just heartbreaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OK0KgXjmk

2agnkw0.jpg

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The opening sequence when Gandalf and the balrog go head to head in mid-air. Nice.

I couldn't find the opening alone, so here is the whole fight including a scene from FotR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44kBN340vd4&feature=related

2j3in3l.jpg
S. L. said:
Apocalypse Now ending scene:
apocalypse_now.jpg

Willard emerges from the river to kill Kurtz. Proceedes to kill him in sync with the slaughtering of a cow of a jungle people ceremony. you can see the tears of the cow.
All this to The Doors - The End insturmental part. Totally love that scene.
found it on the youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTe1vF679U
Actually the whole movie is filled with great scenes. Landing scene to Ride of the Valkyries + Charlie don't Surf, Tiger, etc.

Why are there so many scenes in here from movies from the last year? Can scenes really be considered 'favourite ever' if they were released not so long ago?

Rorschach

DMczaf said:
Just noticed Gordan has a son... He's gonna be Robin instead of Batgirl!

It's 3am, so I can't think of much right now, but a couple scenes that come to mind:

xoqzjb.jpg

Unforgiven: the bar scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pt2BabW87g

Which was kinda built up by the jail scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJw0VXeeIoU

English Bob seemed like a very intimidating figure until we meet Little Bill who supplants him after capturing him and stealing his personal writer.

Throughout the movie, we keep hearing about how Munny is a complete badass and a mean, unhesitating son of a bitch, but we never see an inkling of that until the gorge scene. This final scene shows what he's really capable of and gives us insight into his past as he reverts to his old self.

He just walks in to a bar full of armed men, shoots the owner of the establishment and proceeds to clean house. After finishing off the aforementioned "living legend" Little Bill, he has a shot of whiskey and makes his exit while holding off an entire town with pure intimidation.

eggandI

Banned
There Will Be Blood/No Country for Old Men I mean seriously just pick any scene and it fits here.

Just to pick one:
hUhM2.jpg

Cipherr

Banzaiaap said:
Why are there so many scenes in here from movies from the last year? Can scenes really be considered 'favourite ever' if they were released not so long ago?

Yes they can, favorite ever is completely subjective and subject to one persons opinion. If someone likes a scene from a movie a month ago more than anything else they have seen then its their favorite ever.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
moniker said:
Magnolia is filled to the brim with amazing scenes (as are all other PTA movies).

i added a link to the scene in my post, if anyone is curious.

i agree almost every other scene in the film is worthy of the thread. when william h. macy confesses to brad the bartender that he loves him? holy shit.

"i love you. i love you, i'm sick, i'll talk to you soon. . . i'm getting corrective oral surgery tomorrow, for my teeth. i love you brad the bartender. and if you wanna love me back, i will be good to you, i will be god damn good for you."

just watching it, it almost breaks me. i love MAGNOLIA so much. i feel sometimes it encapsulates everything that's good but hard about being a person.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the ending monologue of AMERICAN BEAUTY is so beautiful, even to this day.

Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life.

that part, i particular.

Man, there are too many, and I don't know how to narrow it down, so I'm just going to post whatever comes to mind, scenes that have stayed with me, old and new.

kim-novak-as-judy-as-madeleine-i-1.jpg

Vertigo - Judy puts on the dress

1994-Satantango-Disc100003405-15-58.jpg

Satantango - windy street

Chaplin-CityLights193100045304-56-0.jpg

City Lights - ending

MirrorAndreiTarkovsky197502680705-1.jpg

Mirror - burning house/house collapsing

UnfaithfullyYours-PrestonSturges194.jpg

Unfaithfully Yours - murder fantasy

ShadowsofForgottenAncestorsSergeiPa.jpg

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors - sorcery

SoyCuba-1964-MikhailKalatozov000197.jpg

Soy Cuba - farmer sets fire

SyndromesAndACentury00540804-53-56.jpg

Syndromes and a Century - the prosthetics room

Zemlya1930Dovzhenko00009705-00-35.jpg

Earth - rains

eclipse1962dvdripxvidimbtcd20000940.jpg

L'eclisse - ending

ikiru-1.jpg

Ikiru - swing

BeauTravail00005405-09-09.jpg

And since Claire Denis was a part of this, I've got to include the brilliant ending of Beau Travail.

Peru

YES, the ALL ABOUT EVE scene from the GUardian article would be right up there for me, so glad it was included.

Too many to choose from in those classic movies.. for scenes from the recent milennium: The dinner scene in '4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days' -- absolute perfect acting. The monster discovery in 'The Host' . The final stone-carrying scene of 'Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.. and Spring.

Wes

venison crêpe
Whilst I appreciate all the youtube links if at all possible if you could find a picture of the scene in question it would be in keeping with the format of the original article and would be my preferred way of cataloging it all (and save me from having to find them all myself eventually).

Thanks for all the inputs. Going to have to check out some of the ones mentioned for myself.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Wes said:
Whilst I appreciate all the youtube links if at all possible if you could find a picture of the scene in question it would be in keeping with the format of the original article and would be my preferred way of cataloging it all (and save me from having to find them all myself eventually).

Thanks for all the inputs. Going to have to check out some of the ones mentioned for myself.

i posted pics with my actual choice. the rest is just discussion, and i felt more pictures would just get too busy.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
tarsem-the-fall-stills-07.jpg

2ljqm1w.jpg

The Fall.

Wide shots are my weakness.
I'd also put Star Trek up for nomination ,but I can't find any images of said shots.

And yes, that Tranformers shot above is indeed great.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
'Kay I got a couple more:

Star Wars: A New Hope - The Mos Eisley Cantina scene. All of the bizarre creatures, the music, the arm chop, Han Solo's first appearance. That shit was magical. Probably my favorite scene from any of the 3 Star Wars movies.
1zqssja.jpg

Jurassic Park - The T-Rex reveal & attack scene. Especially the water rippling, so good. That was like 90% of my nightmares as a kid. It's so suspenseful and it's action adventure Spielberg at his finest.
141r2v5.jpg

Big Lewboski - The botched delivery of the ransom money. Such a cool scene, it's shot perfectly and the Creedence song just puts it on another fucking level.
Can't find a damn pic right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom