• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Observer's Favourite Film Scenes Ever Shot || What are ours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Legend

terminator2.jpg

6f061b59ce4e6ba8_large.jpg

harSon said:
Night of the Hunter is probably one of best movies, cinemagraphically, of all time. The amount of thought that went into the film's lighting is insane.

I agree. The story and actors are mediocre imo (except for Robert Mitchum) but the movie itself is a true piece of art.

Well, thanks GAF, I just ordered Lost in Translation, Heat and Goodfellas from Amazon. :lol

On topic.. that scene from LoTR that was posted on the second (?) page (Gandalf arriving), even in the awful quality on Youtube, gave me goosebumps. Also the ending of Gattaca.

Also I think in a few years the passing of the note scene in Polanski's "Ghost Writer" will be one of my favorites.

It was just so Hitchcock.

I can't find a screencap or a video of the opening scene of There Will Be Blood, but it is a very eerie, anticipatory scene. There's no talking at all for the longest amount of time. I thought that was the best part of the film, but the whole thing is amazing.

Also, not a scene, but music. Someone mentioned The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU
@1:40

Just recently watched Up in the Air. Some scenes where Natalie (Anna Kendrick) tries her hand at firing people are brutal to watch.

orioto

Good Art™
totoro.jpg

This scene in Totoro

memories1.jpg

This scene in Magnetic Rose by Kooji "drunken god" Morimoto. This is the perfect scene with the perfect music.

films-seven.jpg

Of course

pulp_fiction06_pieds.jpg

First or last scene.

WinFonda said:
There's a scene in Fargo with an overhead shot of a parking lot that really sticks out as unusually awesome to me.

34yz76t.jpg

That shot says everything it needs to say about the William H. Macy character.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
harSon said:
John. C Reilly needs to go back to being an actor

yes he does. it takes a guy like p.t.a. to use him the right way, i think. maybe he should work with stephen soderbergh or something.

_Isaac

I thought of another one.

The Dunkirk scene from Atonement
This is another one that is made by the music pretty much, which I think won an Oscar. I love it when the choir kicks in.

2hfs5zq.jpg

Video

JoeBoy101

The Dark Knight - The Opening Bank Robbery, Perfect setup to introduce the Joker.

Aliens - The entire Med Lab scene when the aliens attack. You know the one, where Hicks sticks his head up through the ceiling tile.

Master and Commander - "Let Fly!"

Zulu - The Final Battle.

There Will Be Blood - So to as avoid saying the whole fucking movie, the entire opening of the movie until the first dialogue happens.

Raising Arizona - "I'll be taking the Huggies, and whatever cash you got."

I'll come up with more. Alot of great ones already hit in this thread.

JoeBoy101

Shubit said:
The one movie scene or rather series of scenes that left the most lasting impression on me is the Technoir sequence from the first Terminator movie:

63xc35.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4kfqmv2PoQ

Unfortunately the linked video leaves out a small detail, the reason why Sarah took refuge in the club:
trying to get away from Kyle, mistaking him for the killer

The way this is built up practically from the moment Sarah is introduced in the film and eventually culminates in a series of intense action sequences makes this one of the most satisfying "threads of fate intertwining" scenes in the history of fiction.

One great little tidbit in that scene that is hard to pick out is
The Terminator actually gets his shot off, but Reese's shotgun blast knocks his gun away by mere inches so the bullet misses Sarah's head even at point blank. Watch the scene in slo-mo to see just how close it was.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
A couple more that I think are just incredible.

Charge of the Rohirrim at Pelennor Fields from Return of the King.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdnqZcmWk8U
The end of it when everyone's chanting "DEATH!" is just so awesome.

Pippin's Song from Return of the King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIx3m74xExs
Just Pippin singing for the Steward of Gondor while Faramir charges hopelessly into slaughter.

Mannn... I can't wait for those movies to come out on blu-ray :lol

The Karate Kid - Miyagi drunk.

Based on the title and the clip alone, it sounds like a joke, but where people always refer to the scene where he and Daniel catch chopsticks, or the "Wax on, wax off" line/scene, I always thought the scene where Miyagi is drunk dressed in his sergeant's uniform explained everything about him and what earned Morita that Oscar. The audience is where Daniel is at that moment, where he looks and sees a bunch of newspaper clippings from the '40s and personal letters about the deaths of Miyagi's wife and child at Manzanar. '80s pop culture and crap sequels aside, I always remember The Karate Kid for that scene, that, the Halloween beatdown, and Bananarama.

dorkimoe

whytemyke said:
Children of Men
ddkx7s.jpg

The scene when Theo is trying to evacuate the girl and
her baby
from the bombed out building is just incredible. There are a lot of scenes in the movie that evict a strong emotion, whether it's the decrepit school fallen out of use because there's no need to teach children anymore (talk about portraying an emotional sentiment without using words) or the car chase in the woods. But this penultimate scene really steals the show in this film.

If I remember correctly, the entire thing is a single take, from the start of the evacuation to the time that they get past the tanks, and the total break-out of peace for just a moment is inspiring in the film. Words are never said but an understanding about the lost hope for humanity is communicated wonderfully through this single shot, and as it closes the evaporation/meaninglessness of that hope is portrayed just as well.

easily the greatest looking scene i had ever seen. the explosions just seemed so real, like i was there

oh and nobody posted this?
jaws2.jpg

_Isaac

I just thought of another one. The kissing scene in Cinema Paradiso. The main character Toto's hometown had a priest who would order the town projectionist to cut out all the kissing scenes from every movie they showed. The projectionist kept all of those cut scenes. Toto eventually grew up and inherited the film from his projectionist mentor and we finally get to see every single kiss the town missed out on. It's cheesy, but I like it. It reminds me how much I'd like to fall in love one day.

wiwok7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gdpWeW9Kao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom