• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Observer's Favourite Film Scenes Ever Shot || What are ours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
A Woman Under The Influence

qpsbcp.jpg

There are a handful of scenes I could have chosen from this masterpiece, but the spaghetti scene was particularly striking the first time I saw it. Gena Rowlands playing the part of Mabel is probably in my top 3 all-time best performances by an actress.

The Conversation

303grj4.jpg

Probably in my top 5 for opening scenes. Perfectly establishes the tone of the film.

Dr. Strangelove

2100lr5.jpg

"You can't fight in here! This the war room!". Hard to top.

I could list far too many scenes from Kubrick, PTA, Coen brothers, Scorsese, Coppola, etc. It's hard to narrow down favorites.

XMonkey said:
The Conversation

303grj4.jpg

Probably in my top 5 for opening scenes. Perfectly establishes the tone of the film.
When I first saw this, I didn't know anything about it, and I thought that there was something wrong with the audio in the beginning.

JoeBoy101

Shalashaska said:

I love the background around that shot.

A full fight scene was supposed to take place, but Ford was so tired from shooting during the day that he just adlibbed the whole scene and it was decided to leave the scene in.

Roi

Lost in Translation - karaoke scene
0.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1UYohidXRg

The moment moments before and after this are so beautiful. But it's amazing how you can feel there love for each other here. "You know there's nothing, more than this"

Taxi Driver - speech

taxi-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBvg3PkI-PU

"Listen you fuckers, you screwheads, here's a man who would not take it anymore, who would not let... Listen you fuckers you screwheads, here's a man who would not take it anymore, a man who stood up against the scum, the cons, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is someone who stood up."

XMonkey said:
A Woman Under The Influence

qpsbcp.jpg

There are a handful of scenes I could have chosen from this masterpiece, but the spaghetti scene was particularly striking the first time I saw it. Gena Rowland playing the part of Mabel is probably in my top 3 all-time best performances by an actress.

:)

Now I have to mention:

Faces01873204-40-20.jpg

This conversation in Faces, which I still can't watch without laughing.

JohnCassavetes-Lovestreamspt2000077.jpg
JohnCassavetes-Lovestreamspt2074518.jpg

The incredible ending of Love Streams.

xbhaskarx

harSon said:
You should appreciate this then, the scene was a reference to Night of the Hunter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X20XIg38GcE

As a southpaw I consider this one of my least favorite scenes of all time. Such blatant bigotry may have been tolerated in the 1950s but to celebrate this as a "favorite scene" in the age of Obama is no less offensive than the portrayal of the Klan in Birth of a Nation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
a few great scenes from 1970 onward:
scent of a woman - the courtroom speech

ferris bueller's day off - long cuts at the museum

miller's crossing - the death march in the forest

office space - printer (mind the obnoxious "BUY DIS SONG ON ITUNES!!!!!!!" ad)

michael clayton - ending / silent taxi ride. this is seriously the best credit roll i've ever seen.

godfather - the restaurant

gus van sant's elephant - killer enters school

planes, trains, and automobiles - rental car

not particularly interested in chasing down thumbnails to these :p

Socreges

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Absolutely. I had trouble watching that the first time since there was maybe half a dozen times I said "Wait, wtf, gtfo, was that just one long take? No way." and had to fight a serious urge to skip back.
It was two takes actually. But he won't reveal when exactly the cut was made and as far as I know no one has been able to find it...

Socreges

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
I love the background around that shot.

A full fight scene was supposed to take place, but Ford was so tired from shooting during the day that he just adlibbed the whole scene and it was decided to leave the scene in.
He adlibbed the gunshot, the guy falling down, and the crowd reacting perfectly? Or he suggested the scene change before it took place (far more likely)?

Rktk

equap said:
1zfpf7p.jpg

24vk4dh.jpg

2w6rzmv.jpg

weird ass movie but a beautiful movie.
Thank you so much for posting that, I've been trying to find out the name of this film and rewatch it for over a year.

Rktk

bud said:
collateral (2004) - coyotes in koreatown
one of my all time favorite scenes is from mann's collateral. max and vincent are on their way to vincent's next target in the nightclub, and they suddenly see a bunch of coyotes crossing the street. the look of awe on their faces, the atmosphere and the choice of music (audioslave's ''shadow on the sun'') make this scene so beautiful.
I did like Collateral but I can't stand that scene. I thought the song was garbage and didn't get the coyotes, was there something I was missing?

S. L.

another good one
486adde9uuv8.jpg

Masaki Kobayashi's Harakiri
Hanshiro Tsugumo sitting in the yard in front of the all the members of the house ready to commit seppuku and trying to tell the story of his brother in law.

the "scene" is more than half the movie, but the tension is just insane.

_Isaac said:
I just thought of another one. The kissing scene in Cinema Paradiso. The main character Toto's hometown had a priest who would order the town projectionist to cut out all the kissing scenes from every movie they showed. The projectionist kept all of those cut scenes. Toto eventually grew up and inherited the film from his projectionist mentor and we finally get to see every single kiss the town missed out on. It's cheesy, but I like it. It reminds me how much I'd like to fall in love one day.

http://i41.tinypic.com/wiwok7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gdpWeW9Kao

Thank you for reminding me of this. Haven't seen this movie since the original release but I remember this scene being very cheesy and yet tears welled up.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The scene in Weekend at Bernie's where Bernie's mistress unknowingly has sex with the corpse and then comes downstairs singing and exhibiting post-coital glow.

JoeBoy101

Socreges said:
He adlibbed the gunshot, the guy falling down, and the crowd reacting perfectly? Or he suggested the scene change before it took place (far more likely)?

I heard it was adlibbed, and I mean there are only two real elements. Indy shooting unexpectedly, and if the other actor is decent, he goes with it. Then the crowd reaction is natural. But you do make a good point, I'll go hunting to see what the answer is.

EDIT UPDATE: Alright, you win, Linkie

The scene where Indy shoots the sword wielding bad guy wasn't in the original script. Three months' shooting had resulted in Harrison Ford having a nasty case of dysentery, and the choreographed fight would have taken three and a half days to shoot. Harrison Ford really didn't want to stay on set that long, so suggested that it would be a good alternative if he just shot him. Who actually suggested the change isn't certain, but it wasn't a spur of the moment decision, contrary to some thoughts - it was a planned alternative.

But holy shit at that website!

In the Well of Souls, you can see hieroglyphics of C3PO and R2D2 on the wall.

The filmmakers discovered to their chagrin that the snakes used for the Well of Souls sequence weren't afraid of fire at all - in fact, they would always try to get closer to the fire to warm themselves. At one point director Spielberg was caught on camera picking up a snake and telling it, face to face, "In the script, you're supposed to hate fire. Why do you like fire? You're ruining my movie."

The canyon where Indiana confronts Belloq and the Germans and threatens to blow up the Ark is the exact same canyon where the Jawas take R2-D2 in "Star Wars".

S. L. said:
Apocalypse Now ending scene:
apocalypse_now.jpg

Willard emerges from the river to kill Kurtz. Proceedes to kill him in sync with the slaughtering of a cow of a jungle people ceremony. you can see the tears of the cow.
All this to The Doors - The End insturmental part. Totally love that scene.
found it on the youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTe1vF679U
Actually the whole movie is filled with great scenes. Landing scene to Ride of the Valkyries + Charlie don't Surf, Tiger, etc.

holy shit, they actually got that on film?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I like the ending scene of My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn holding the slippers.

Kraftwerk

S. L. said:
another good one
486adde9uuv8.jpg

Masaki Kobayashi's Harakiri
Hanshiro Tsugumo sitting in the yard in front of the all the members of the house ready to commit seppuku and trying to tell the story of his brother in law.

the "scene" is more than half the movie, but the tension is just insane.
1+ i watch that movie at least once a month.Simply brilliant.

Nameless

Return of the King: "My Friends.. you bow to no one"

return-of-the-king-hobbit-kneel.jpg

The Godfather: Ice fuckin cold
godfather-family-0903-03.jpg

Gladiator: "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridus..."
0.jpg

Swingers: "I'm gonna make Greztky's head bleed for super-fan 99 over here"
SwingersNHL.jpg

Tombstone: "Yup..I'm sure of it.. I hate him"
0.jpg

I'll post more later

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
That train scene in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is brilliant. A lot of scenes in that movie are great, when I think about it. The theater scene near the end is equally great.

itsinmyveins said:
That train scene in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is brilliant. A lot of scenes in that movie are great, when I think about it. The theater scene near the end is equally great.

Yes, yes.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Also, the most amazing work that Pixar has ever done is the section of Ratatouille from Ego's eating of the ratatouille all the way until the end of his review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDK2azVSE5Q

Everything about the scene is beautiful, and it perfectly conveys the idea of food as an evocative art.

Loved that scene in Ratatouille, which for some reason always feels to me like an underrated Pixar film. I just didn't hear that much buzz about it and I didn't see it until picking up the DVD on a whim. Maybe I was under a rock in 2007.

This is absolutely my favorite scene in anything Pixar has done, and that includes Up: The "Define Dancing" spacewalk scene in WALL-E.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsQFuesfaoI

I can't watch that scene without getting a little emotional... ugh. One of the best experiences I had in a movie theater.

Dead

well not really...yet
I can't find pics of it, but in Aliens, when the marines are in the Alien nesting area for the first time, and an Alien crawls off the wall, after being seamlessly hidden in it.

An amazing shot/scene

GhaleonEB

Rorschach said:
Just noticed Gordan has a son... He's gonna be Robin instead of Batgirl!

It's 3am, so I can't think of much right now, but a couple scenes that come to mind:

xoqzjb.jpg

Unforgiven: the bar scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pt2BabW87g

Which was kinda built up by the jail scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJw0VXeeIoU

English Bob seemed like a very intimidating figure until we meet Little Bill who supplants him after capturing him and stealing his personal writer.

Throughout the movie, we keep hearing about how Munny is a complete badass and a mean, unhesitating son of a bitch, but we never see an inkling of that until the gorge scene. This final scene shows what he's really capable of and gives us insight into his past as he reverts to his old self.

He just walks in to a bar full of armed men, shoots the owner of the establishment and proceeds to clean house. After finishing off the aforementioned "living legend" Little Bill, he has a shot of whiskey and makes his exit while holding off an entire town with pure intimidation.

To that I'll add my favorite scene - and to the point, one of my favorite shot scenes ever - in the film.

162afdl.jpg

The interplay between the characters and the wide shot to close up framing are just beautiful. And both thematically and as a turning point for the story, the scene is just crushing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwDEfe0L6Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom