• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Trailers (CG and gameplay), PC/PS4/XB1, out February 14th, 2017

Zafir

That gameplay actually looks fairly solid, better than i expected.

I still think the premise is silly but I can get over that.

Fbh

One of my most anticipated games right now.

Love the concept and the gameplay looks really fun. It's nice to see Ubi making something different, this looks way more linear and level based than what they usually do, and that's awesome.
Stuff like this, Valiant Hearts and Rayman show that Ubisoft can do awesome stuff when they are not bussy making open world checklist games, shame that they almost never move away from that formula

Frozone

Looks worst than the original reveal.. :(

Things I hate:

* silly highlighted enemies (breaks immersion)
* enemies just stand there and let you plow through them
* where is the dismemberment on execution?
* terrible voice-acting
* too fast combat, it seems like a fast version of AC
* graphics look downscaled from before.

I DO like they added a SP campaign though.

Smoolio

Story titbits from the official site: Campaign

Playable as single player or in 2-players co-op, online or split-screen

The Kensei in the Story Campaign
The Kensei was a rapidly rising commander in the Emperor’s service, but an unfortunate habit of speaking truthfully caused a once promising career to end in exile. However, the Kensei’s deep faithfulness and good spirit earned many loyal friends who are keen on seeing Kensei's honor restored. It is only a matter of time before the Kensei's exile is ended – once the small matter of their prison sentence has been dealt with.
The Raider in the Story Campaign
The Raider is a fearless but rage-filled warrior and tired of watching his fellow Vikings spill one another's blood. Raiders, as a rule, can be bloodthirsty – and this one is certainly no exception – but they are also filled with an immense love and pride for their people. Whether by force, guile, or sheer determination, this fierce warrior intends to unite the Warborn clans. And may the gods have mercy on whoever gets in their way.
The Warden in the Story Campaign
The Warden is a courageous and talented young knight from the lands of the Iron Legion. Wardens are expected to be noble and brave – living embodiments of virtue – and this one has the potential to be that and more. But after years of fighting endless battles for no worthy cause, The Warden has begun wandering, seeking a purpose equal to "his" talents and genuinely worth fighting for. That search comes to end in Ashfeld, among the warriors of the Blackstone Legion.

Funny that the knight was the only female in the CG trailer, but the only one here with a gendered male pronoun.

CHC

That animation is.... unlike anything I've seen in a game before. Really, really incredible. There's such a sense of weight to every movement, and comlletely seamless transitions between every action. It looks like hand keyed CGI, really. Amazing stuff.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That animation is.... unlike anything I've seen in a game before. Really, really incredible. There's such a sense of weight to every movement, and comlletely seamless transitions between every action. It looks like hand keyed CGI, really. Amazing stuff.

There's two demos available on the floor I saw too, a longer version of this Viking mission and an entirely new knight mission with a bunch of cut scenes

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Was the Knight Male or Female?

As far as I can tell, all three player characters in the campaign are male.

Ghost Recon also seems to be four preset dudes and the rumors for the next Assassin's Creed is a trilogy of games about the same dude, so I suspect they're moving back away from having playable female characters, at least in the story modes of their games.

Looks worst than the original reveal.. :(

Things I hate:

* silly highlighted enemies (breaks immersion)
* enemies just stand there and let you plow through them
* where is the dismemberment on execution?
* terrible voice-acting
* too fast combat, it seems like a fast version of AC
* graphics look downscaled from before.

I DO like they added a SP campaign though.
I disagree on the voice acting, but agree on the lack of dismemberment and the highlighting. Its kinda crazy that those huge axe blows weren't removing any limbs, and the highlighting really messed with the immersiveness. I hope the UK gets toned down

Ghost Recon also seems to be four preset dudes and the rumors for the next Assassin's Creed is a trilogy of games about the same dude, so I suspect they're moving back away from having playable female characters, at least in the story modes of their games.

Man that bums me out. Especially after how they seemed to go out of their way to show female combatants in the game.

KKRT00

Last year it looked more appealing to me, this presentation was too much like Ryse. Really basic in mechanics.

John Harker

Was the Knight Male or Female?

I get early access to e3 show floor so I trolled Each booth, and saw a bunch of stuff for tomorrow, and they were "rehearsing" the campaign mission with the Knight and she was Female.

I'm certain you can choose either gender tho.

John Harker

Genders are options for almost all warriors. Only a couple are male or female only

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get early access to e3 show floor so I trolled Each booth, and saw a bunch of stuff for tomorrow, and they were "rehearsing" the campaign mission with the Knight and she was Female.

I'm certain you can choose either gender tho.

Genders are options for almost all warriors. Only a couple are male or female only
Oh that's cool. I was going to be kind of disappointed after what I felt was a very strong E3 2015 showing from Ubisoft for gender diversity. Thanks.

Looked fun. I do wonder, does the combat have animation priority ? Seemed like it, that could ruin it a little bit for me personally

John Harker

Oh that's cool. I was going to be kind of disappointed after what I felt was a very strong E3 2015 showing from Ubisoft for gender diversity. Thanks.

Kind of weird there's no female on the box art BUT the knight on the campaign key art is female, and that's from the campaign. On their website anyway.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This continues to be my most anticipated game. Looking forward to the knight playthrough.

Viking with a two-hand axe was pretty f'n awesome though.

Love his animation. The animation in general is just incredible.

If there was a weak point, would have to be sound. Seemed very "empty", and the VA was kinda weak. Also found the narration a bit corny. Too early to say if good-corny or bad-corny.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Looked fun. I do wonder, does the combat have animation priority ? Seemed like it, that could ruin it a little bit for me personally
You should check out the recent articles on the game's animation. On my phone, heading out to work, or I'd link 'em myself.

That knight woman from the cinematic looked badass, wish games did more like those.

Not exactly sold on the gameplay yet though, seems to kind of lack impact.

Mutombo

I'm sure it's a good thing that they focussed more on the single player, as the multiplayer will probably be available to play at E3. But all the dynasty warrior comparisons are a bit wrong, i think. This is mostly a 4 vs 4 pvp game, where the scattered enemies serve as a sort of MOBA fodder, that don't really pose a threat and are more for 'killing time before the next real player starts a duel'.

I'm very curious to hear and read hands-on experiences about the multiplayer. I don't really care about the single player.

Binabik15

I don't do MP so I HOPE that the SP is challenging and fun enough, because I've been in love with the animations from this since last year. If the mechanics are fun, I'll be SO happy to finally have a great knight action game. Vikings as a bonus? Hell YEAH!

Klyka

Banned
To people worried about the HUD:

It's a Ubisoft game, they basically all have entirely optional HUDs where you can turn on and off every element by itself.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I get a feeling that the actual gameplay & combat will get boring fast. It looks so basic.

Looks fairly intuitive to me and doesn't seem to rely on canned combos which I also like. Feels more like a duel and less like a street fighter match.

Artdayne

Well, hello there Ryse 2.0.

If Ryse had directional attacks and blocking with a PVP focus, you might have a point.

Basic? How many games have directional attacking and blocking? Add cancels, feints and parries and you have a really cool melee systeem.

I get the feeling this is the first people have seen of the game and so they don't understand a lot of the nuance in the combat. I mean, fighting the fodder in the single player campaign are meant to be easy to kill. It seems pretty clear that while the campaign might be a nice diversion and may be fun, the game was designed for player vs player. That's where the combat will shine, where the directional attacks, guard breaks and feints will be fully realized.

Menthuss

The "Surrounded by enemies taking turns against you" syndrome. Nope.

Actually, the grunts are not even remotely a threat to you. They do almost no damage to you, their hits don't even stagger you and you kill them in a single hit. The only thing you're supposed to focus on are the special enemies. Haven't seen any 2-on-1 fights yet but if it's anything like the multiplayer alpha, you're going to get demolished.

I'm kind of hoping there'll be more of an incentive to help your troops out and take on the enemy grunts as during the alpha every player just dashed around the battlefield, capping the points and ignoring the grunts.

DOWN

Banned
He said oobisoft

Also there's something flat/matte painting looking about Ubi games. Like they lack texture contrast or something

Top Bottom