• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor Trailers (CG and gameplay), PC/PS4/XB1, out February 14th, 2017

atr0cious

The only thing I didn't like about these trailers was the release date. Why does it have to be so far off? I need a beta like yesterday.

thelastword

Banned
Can't wait, one of my most anticipated games for next year. It looks dynamic rez on XB1 though, that boss fight looks like it was 720p most of the time, but overall it looks really good.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Assuming everyone is hyped for this? The game play with commentary video made me cringe so bad. NPCs just standing around while you smash attack, rinse, repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuJZ2m2x0k

The little minion guys are obstacles though, not threats. They just slowly unlock Feats as you kill them. The real combat is between the other Heroe characters you encounter. They talked about it a bit in the Masterclass stream

The little minion guys are obstacles though, not threats. They just slowly unlock Feats as you kill them. The real combat is between the other Heroe characters you encounter. They talked about it a bit in the Masterclass stream

But that doesn't change the fact that nearly every NPC they showed in the gameplay + commentary video was just standing there and taking a beating. Even the boss fight was pretty anti-climatic.

I'm not telling you not to like it I'm just stating my concerns for what they've shown thus far.

Looks worst than the original reveal.. :(

Things I hate:

* silly highlighted enemies (breaks immersion)
* enemies just stand there and let you plow through them
* where is the dismemberment on execution?
* terrible voice-acting
* too fast combat, it seems like a fast version of AC
* graphics look downscaled from before.

I DO like they added a SP campaign though.

You are not alone. This game just seems really shallow.

Ashtar

But that doesn't change the fact that nearly every NPC they showed in the gameplay + commentary video was just standing there and taking a beating. Even the boss fight was pretty anti-climatic.

I'm not telling you not to like it I'm just stating my concerns for what they've shown thus far.

You are not alone. This game just seems really shallow.

Can't watch the vid as I'm at work but when it was on Ubi conference the player was getting hit so I'm not sure what you're talking about, I mean it's not as far as I know a button smasher so there will be lulls in action

DaciaJC

Gold Member

I agree, but I'm thinking the campaign will just be a side-show. The real meat of the game will be multiplayer, fighting against human opponents using feints, mind tricks, and a greater variety of tactics and improvisation than AI enemies can provide.

The only game from Ubisoft I give a shit about. The rest of their games could never come out and I wouldn't care but this game, it looks so incredible and has so much damned gameplay potential. It looks damned good graphically on top of that but I just love so many ideas behind how they want the melee combat to work that I've been wanting to see so long. I know someone else called this a dream game but this close enough to one of mine to be so as well! Can't wait, hope its good unlike most of the stuff Ubi's been pumping out lately.

Yeah like that trash South Park, Rainbox Six Siege, and that garbage Syndicate.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Here's the first mission, the tutorial basically, but you get to see a female warden (btw it was confirmed you get to choose the gender of the campaign MC's in another interview) and a good explanation of the melee systems (including parrys, feints, and guard breaks).

It's unfortunately potato quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJTlv0d3CmQ

I hope there is a hardcore mode where you can turn off the stance prompts. Would be cool to have to learn that stuff just by animations

It also has the stable of massive amounts of enemies just waiting to get hit....

Artdayne

Here's the first mission, the tutorial basically, but you get to see a female warden (btw it was confirmed you get to choose the gender of the campaign MC's in another interview) and a good explanation of the melee systems (including parrys, feints, and guard breaks).

It's unfortunately potato quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJTlv0d3CmQ

Wow! The directional attacks, feints, shoves, and guard breaks lead to so many possibilities in multiplayer. This looks a lot more interesting than what they showed during the Ubisoft conference, even if the video quality is bad. I really liked the sequence at around 9 minutes until the end.

I've somewhat came to accept the cannon fodder foot soldiers as lambs to the slaughter, so variety in playstyle of the classes would be what make or break the deal.

Was there a multiplayer demo on the show floor? I figured this would be a game lots of people recording footage but all o can find were the two singleplayer missions.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
No doubt the gameplay mechanics will remain in tact, but when will we see an inevitable downgrade?

Since Day 1 the game has been accompanied by hands-on, playable builds whenever they've shown it. It had an online MP alpha. At E3's 15,16 it's there for people to play.

Downgrades generally occur when a dev finally lets people play a game, after years of scripted stage demos, behind closed doors, hands-off, etc.

Idk, just sayin...

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I hope the opponent highlighting can be turned off. Game looks fab but smacking the living shit out of a opponent with bright glowing silhouettes.. No.

lazypants

I'm really suprised that this game is receiving so little hype. It looks fantastic. The gameplay is everything I would ever want from a medieval combat game and I can tell multiplayer will be awesome

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm really suprised that this game is receiving so little hype. It looks fantastic. The gameplay is everything I would ever want from a medieval combat game and I can tell multiplayer will be awesome

Seems to be doing well, it had a lot of press early in at e3. One of my fav at the show actually

With combat systems like this Ryse would have been so awesome game. This looks like game I will immensely enjoy even when getting owned online.

bunkitz

I didn't really understand what kind of a game it was last year, which made me ignore it for some stupid reason. Now, I'm pretty damn excited for it. It looks amazing, and the combat system's really interesting too. I just hope that the campaign is a big part of it and not just meant to teach players how to play the game and instead the multiplayer will be the focus. Considering that they showed off the multiplayer, though... it's probably the focus, sadly.

I hope there is a meaty SP campaign because I don't care for PvP. The game looks like tons of fun with such an over-the-top prrsentation.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't really understand what kind of a game it was last year, which made me ignore it for some stupid reason. Now, I'm pretty damn excited for it. It looks amazing, and the combat system's really interesting too. I just hope that the campaign is a big part of it and not just meant to teach players how to play the game and instead the multiplayer will be the focus. Considering that they showed off the multiplayer, though... it's probably the focus, sadly.

The impression I get it seems like they're aiming for something like Starcraft, yes multiplayer is the focus in the end but the singleplayer aims to stand on its own as a worthwhile experience.

bunkitz

The impression I get it seems like they're aiming for something like Starcraft, yes multiplayer is the focus in the end but the singleplayer aims to stand on its own as a worthwhile experience.

The premise is really interesting and the visuals are just stunning, so I hope you're right, because I'm really not a multiplayer kind of guy. Don't have a good enough internet connection to be one.

Genio88

looks like Ryse but with slightly worse graphics but deeper combat system and contents with more factions, coop etc

Top Bottom