• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time since its inception, TGA was worth watching

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Still way too long at over 3h30 but I saw a lot of good looking stuff this year. Exodus, Black Myth Wukong, Senua's Saga gameplay, Monster Hunter Wilds, more FF VII Rebirth, that mecha game whose name escapes me, Windblown, No Rest for the Wicked, Rise of the Ronin, The First (or was it last?) Berzerker, and a few I can't recall at the moment.

The most important part is that the overwhelming majority of them showed gameplay. I thought 2024 would be weak, especially following in the footsteps of 2023 but I'm seriously beginning to reconsider.

Also, Sydnee Goodman is gorgeous.

Last edited:

phant0m

I agree, esp regarding gameplay (or at least in-engine)

edit: nvm, wrong first

Last edited:
I think it had better pacing than previous years, and while I was interested in some announcements I felt like this year had less things that caught my attention.
But if they continue to have more gameplay instead of CG stuff, that's a really good thing.

People get more time to promote games that were just announced than actually accept the awards that the whole ceremony is supposedly based around

That's how The Game Awards have been for nearly 10 years though. I would hope that you aren't surprised by the same exact things next year lol.

Regarding the tweet, it used to be even worse when they were under Spike TV. Geoff has no choice but to use some ad money because for everything else he is paying out of his own pocket and using his connections to make things work. That's why you never see a "The Game Awards, brought to you by" and instead you just see "The Game Awards". That's why they're so short for time, because I bet that arena's fees are insane if he ever goes over than what he paid for.

Last edited:
That's how The Game Awards have been for nearly 10 years though. I would hope that you aren't surprised by the same exact things next year lol.

Regarding the tweet, it used to be even worse when they were under Spike TV. Geoff has no choice but to use some ad money because for everything else he is paying out of his own pocket and using his connections to make things work. That's why you never see a "The Game Awards, brought to you by" and instead you just see "The Game Awards". That's why they're so short for time, because I bet that arena's fees are insane if he ever goes over than what he paid for.
What kind of attitude is that? "It's always been like this so why bother improving it"

What kind of attitude is that? "It's always been like this so why bother improving it"
Then explain to me how to improve it in a reasonably logical manner with what I've just told you.

You are now Geoff Keighley.

-You finally have a large amount of trailers to show off, some probably paid-for spots.
-You have no TV sponsors.
-You can only afford 3 hours of time within the arena with the budget you have.
-You are hard-locked to show ads(which honestly, still run far under actual TV ad space times).

How do you reasonably manage this?

The only suggestion I put in Keighley's suggestion box is in regards to his trailer pacing, because I feel like that's the only thing our feedback actually affects. He usually tends to start with a bang and slowly run out of steam until the end(when it comes to trailer/reveal quality). This time he paced it differently and it's worked out wonderfully for him. Personally I wouldn't have made Monster Hunter the final reveal, but on the other hand it's way, way better than dragging Vin Diesel on stage to reveal some game that's going to score 4/10 in two years.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I think they should've allow perhaps a 1min or 2min allotment time for the Game of the Year award winner because it all wrapped up a bit too quickly and the weight and significance of winning Game of the Year was lessened. But it was more professional and orderly than last year, though last year had some pretty funny moments.

Last edited:
I hate to be that guy but I think they’ve gotten overly long and bloated. Just lame.

We used to get TLOU announcement. (New naughty dog IP) Halo Reach announcement. (new entry in a massively popular dominating franchise) Batman Arkham City announcement. I mean some real juggernauts at the time

Now it’s like oooh DLC. Ooooh Wonder Woman is getting a game that’ll never come out. Ooooh here’s a rinky dink Xbox exclusive blade game. I mean. It’s alright. But I feel like it’s so watered down and neutered compared to the early 2010s

Last edited:
For one, I'd save the "get the fuck off stage" teleprompter for the movie stars to give more time to the people actually receiving awards
That's actually fair :pie_thinking:, although since they're presenting and not being awarded it wouldn't be cut to 30 seconds, maybe cut from 2-3 minutes to 1 minute each. That's cutting it close for special guest stars(who may or may not return if they don't get to talk a little). There were 3(?) stars I think so that would be ~6 minutes available. It could work.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Thought it was the worst one in years.

The lack of sony presence really kills the hype.

And big publishers give him small announcements if anything at all

He’s doing an incredible job with production, he deserves better announcements

Closing the show with an AA looking monster hunter ain’t it

Last edited:

nowhat

Oh boy, I love it when awards segments are cut shorter to make room for more commercials.
I mean really. Categories like art design, which are glossed over. "The nominees are... and the winner is..." while "best adaptation" not only gets a proper ceremony, there's also free advertising for the Fallout series. Which may be great, who knows, but FFS, it's not about the games.

Dorito Pope, if you're listening, it is supposed to be about the games and awarding them. You don't see the Oscars going "and the award for best cinematography goes to film X. And now here's a trailer for Fast and the Furious XX^n!"

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I just waited until it was over and watched the trailers here on GAF. Saved myself the headache.
Yeah. Time zone wise wasn’t putting it on a midnight (UK) so just catching up this morning before work.

nkarafo

Eh, i tuned to the part where three women where virtue signalling about inclusion again. After that one of them (i assume the main host) was trying stand up comedy.

The cringe was too much so i had to tune out.

I dunno, man. I'm fed up by cinematic trailers. There's minimal focus on gameplay in what they're showing. You have to assume a lot of stuff about what the game actually plays like.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The fact that people can only talk about announcements tells me it's not worth watching at all.

May as well just be a December showcase

T-Cake

Christopher Judge - "My speech last year was longer than this year's Call of Duty campaign" had me howling. And some audience members aghast that he said such a thing. :D

Schmendrick

I just watched it. It took me about 15 minutes and I can't imagine watching this bloated nonsense live without the possibility to fast forward.
Should've just waited for a trailer collection.

Last edited:

Neff

If developers getting weepy about how much gaming means to them and how it allows them to express their creativity/represent themselves/confront their demons then I think I'll just be catching the next day headlines in future.

Miyamoto doesn't wallow in this kind of sentimental self-indulgence when he wants to talk about Mario. He just shows Mario and it's fucking awesome.

Skipping to the trailers was good yeah, lots of interesting games.

LOL at anyone still expecting a real awards show inbetween. This was always - at best - like gaming's equivalent of the Kid's Choice Awards. How did you not get the memo? I like how the purple types on Twitter have heart attacks because Geoff didn't have a 30 minute segment on crunch, how he dared to show trailers by ""problematic"" devs, how they skipped over "important" awards... what do you think you're watching, you airheads? It's a commercial by a man who's been working his life towards making the best gaming commercial ever. And this year, he actually didn't do too bad in that.

Last edited:

ungalo

I disagree, i feel people are saying the same thing every year, that this year it was good.

There was like, one western game that looked good, the Moon Studios game. The absolute state of western gaming...

I do not count games we've been seeing for 2 or 3 ceremony, i just don't care.

Japanese games are carrying it's becoming obvious at this point. And some looks good but nothing astounding either.

Mr.Phoenix

Completely disagree. You know something is very wrong when they are not giving award winners the honor and recognition of coming on stage to receive their awards, to make time for "sponsored" trailers.

TGA is one big commercial, it's what it has always been. Guess in a way that makes sense or how else would they afford it?

As it stands, I don't even bother watching it, just wait for the trailers to show up on YouTube after that show. And then I can watch them in peace without the side order of cringe.

Last edited:

Woopah

Definitely the best so far. Lots of exciting announcements and I felt the commercials parts were not nearly as bad as before.

Huge congrats to Geoff for putting on such a great show.

Last edited:
It was great! Contrary to many here, as much as I like the trailers, I also watch it for the awards. I sincerely believe they deserve the spotlight and the surge of sales a win might give them. Only complaint is they should have more time for the winner's speech and less time with the interviews when they are talking about a game. Let the trailer do the talking

Denton

I would make the show 90 minutes, with 10 two minute trailers and two five minute indie showcase reels taking in total 30 minutes, and the remaining hour for the actual awards and speeches plus one or two music performances. As it is, it is unbearable.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not really. I hopped on GAF this morning and watched all the trailers without sitting through a three hour plus show.

Danknugz

If you haven't watched it and just woke up to the news, it's godlike. I have seen so many trailers I am interested in, and I'm still getting kicked in the balls. GREAT. STUFF!!!
opposite for me. i didn't watch and seeing a bunch of boring ass disappointing crap.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It was another disappointing outing from Sony. MS announced two completely new games (Blade and OD, an exclusive game from Hideo Kojima), Sony presented trailers for two games getting DLC (GoW:R and FF XVI and a trailer announcing the release date of Rise of the Ronin).

NT80

I liked it in previous years but felt this one was a bit of a let down. I got my hopes at up at one point for Virtua Fighter 6 and was really expecting an Elden Ring DLC trailer and something more to be shown of Tekken 8. Nothing more on Pragmata, DMC or RE from Capcom and nothing more on Death Stranding 2. There was new trailer for Rise of the Ronin and a few other good announcements though like Light no Fire and Visions of Mana.

Top Bottom