• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time since its inception, TGA was worth watching

I thought it was a good show overall. It went fast, but then I had my Switch in my hand playing Mario RPG durging it.

Too many Japanese speakers and their translators. Don't do that anymore. Leave the translators at home and just put real time substitles next time. We have the technology.

lem0n

Wasn't going to watch, but saw Jerma985 was live on Twitch watching it so I tuned in. I ended up watching almost the whole thing. Definitely not crap like I figured it was going to be! Lol

Then explain to me how to improve it in a reasonably logical manner with what I've just told you.

You are now Geoff Keighley.

-You finally have a large amount of trailers to show off, some probably paid-for spots.
-You have no TV sponsors.
-You can only afford 3 hours of time within the arena with the budget you have.
-You are hard-locked to show ads(which honestly, still run far under actual TV ad space times).

How do you reasonably manage this?

The only suggestion I put in Keighley's suggestion box is in regards to his trailer pacing, because I feel like that's the only thing our feedback actually affects. He usually tends to start with a bang and slowly run out of steam until the end(when it comes to trailer/reveal quality). This time he paced it differently and it's worked out wonderfully for him. Personally I wouldn't have made Monster Hunter the final reveal, but on the other hand it's way, way better than dragging Vin Diesel on stage to reveal some game that's going to score 4/10 in two years.
I think the number one thing he has to change is show us "one last thing" at the end. It usually ends with the music and that's it. Like hit me with a real unexpected trailer at the end. That's what E3 used to thrive on.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Still way too long at over 3h30 but I saw a lot of good looking stuff this year. Exodus, Black Myth Wukong, Senua's Saga gameplay, Monster Hunter Wilds, more FF VII Rebirth, that mecha game whose name escapes me, Windblown, No Rest for the Wicked, Rise of the Ronin, The First (or was it last?) Berzerker, and a few I can't recall at the moment.

The most important part is that the overwhelming majority of them showed gameplay. I thought 2024 would be weak, especially following in the footsteps of 2023 but I'm seriously beginning to reconsider.

Also, Sydnee Goodman is gorgeous.

Geoff has made it better and better each year. I'd say last year was the first that was just all-around good. But Geoff has officially made the TGAs our Oscars and congrats.

Fbh

Didn't watch it live, but looking at summaries this morning I though it was good but not better than last year.
Last year had:
- Armored Core Announced
- Hades 2 announced
- Judas Announced
- Death Stranding 2 announced
- Updates on stuff like FFXVI, Diablo 4, Space Marine 2, Cyberpunk, Jedi Survivor

Valt7786

Could do without the awkward celeb appearances who clearly dont really know whats going on or what they're talking about. But other than that its becoming a better show every year. Just not that many exciting trailers, for me, this year which was a shame.

It was literally one of the worst, what are you on about? Also that "and one more" reveal game lol.....monster hunter that looks like a generation behind.

I think the number one thing he has to change is show us "one last thing" at the end. It usually ends with the music and that's it. Like hit me with a real unexpected trailer at the end. That's what E3 used to thrive on.
It's difficult because doing what you're suggesting takes away from the GOTY celebration, which is what he wants everyone to remember as the final moment of the show.

LRKD

No, no it wasn't it just kept dragging on forever. Yes there were a few 'nice' announcements buried deep in it, but you are far better off just watching the announcement trailers on their own an hour after the snoozefest ended.

Markio128

I only watched the first 30 minutes (which mostly felt like a gamepass ad) before I had to go to bed. I must admit that, having now seen most of the content, it was an okay/10 for me. GTA VI probably took some of the shine off it tbh.

Nothing that I’d deem as a mega announcement in there, but plenty of stuff that looks decent enough.

No Death Stranding is a disappointment, but makes me more certain that there’ll be a Sony showcase soon.

Bill Murray Good Luck GIF by reactionseditor

People get more time to promote games that were just announced than actually accept the awards that the whole ceremony is supposedly based around

30 seconds is absolutely ridiculous. I'd give a minimum of 1 minute. And Game of the Year should have been given free reign or 3 minutes even. 30 seconds makes a mockery of the whole event IMO.

Top Bottom