• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who swore to not buy an XBONE after their E3 2013 reveal.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Gaia

I don't see how any serious gamer would ignore the X1, save for financial issues.

I've bought nearly every major console since the NES (and a few less mainstream consoles as well, like the 3DO.) I find time to play almost every day, and affordability is pretty much a non-issue for anything short of another house.

I don't own an Xbox One.

I had expected to buy one this fall for Tomb Raider and Rock Band 4 but I have enough misgivings that I'll probably keep waiting. I had assumed that by now there would be a slimmer console, or at least one without a power brick that needs a fan. I had also assumed Microsoft would see the opportunity of capturing Rock Band fans with DLC investment and bend over backward to ensure compatibility with legacy peripherals for Harmonix. Sadly, there's still no MIDI drum compatibility expected at launch. Nor will RB3 work with backward compatibility so I'll have to keep the 360 connected anyway.

Maybe next year?

nib95

Banned
From the makers of Killzone. It'll definitely look the part, but it is by no means nailed on to be a good game.

Not really any more or less than several other big franchises, developers or games on these systems though. You look at the critical reception of the last Crackdown game, the last game from Quantic Dream (Beyond Two Souls), from Remedy Entertainment (Alan Wake's American Nightmare), Rare (Kinect Sports Rivals, Nuts and Bolts) etc, and compare it to the reception of games developed by Guerrilla Games, they've all done great games, as well as middling one's. Doesn't stop people being excited for the new titles. I don't think quality is ever guaranteed.

wildfire

Banned
But why discourage? The important thing on a console should be the games and which console your friends have for playing online.
Do people discourage people against buying a wii u due to the mandatory game pad that adds like £100 to the cost ?

I agree that those things you mentioned are important. MS confirmed and implied DRM plans though would totally undermine the options many gamers enjoyed with physical copies.

Secondly they never gave anyone a reason to believe they would have basic features to protect us from hacks into our homes. Mining data from us was one of their primary goals and not one thought was expressed on anything else.

Once MS stopped making kinect mandatory there was no more reason to complain about their policies since most people won't bother buying it in the first place.

anothertech

I think the price to value misstep by MS is more responsible for the massive dismissal by its Xbox fans this gen.

MS revealed Xbone with a $500 price tag in 2013. They kept it that way for over a year. Sony offered significantly better hardware for $100 less, and received a standing ovation for it.

The power differences in the hardware were immediately felt by practically every third party game since, and gamers saw real value being offered at $100 less.

The reaction to the power differences was historic. Gamers couldn't believe their eyes and ears that the hardware being sold for $100 more was outputting 720p while the less expensive was at 1080p and better frame rates in some instances. Entire websites and communities formed to try and explain away the power differences and fake insiders tried to convince people there were second gpu's or dark cylicone or hidden something- anything that could explain the ludicrous price difference.

MS kind of vilified themselves continuously to gamers in this way, without realizing it. Psychologically, when someone offers a worse product at a significantly higher price, consumers automatically see it as a 'con' or a form of 'fraud' and tend to shun the product even if the price is normalized later.

The DRM fiasco, lack of bc, lack of Halo, and forced kinect at launch were all rotten eggs on top of the garbage pile that was their business marketing for the poor console.

Now, years later, regardless of the value and exclusive offerings MS is making, which are substantial, the mindshare is still the same.

Why buy the less powerful hardware when the significantly better hardware is only $50 more? And the community is almost twice as big? And the company selling it never tried to screw me in the first place?

It's like a perfect storm of bad decisions and awful pr as well as mediocre hardware specs to hedge it all up.

Such a mess.

Not really any more or less than several other big franchises, developers or games on these systems though. You look at the critical reception of the last Crackdown game, the last game from Quantic Dream (Beyond Two Souls), from Remedy Entertainment (Alan Wake's American Nightmare), Rare (Kinect Sports Rivals, Nuts and Bolts) etc, and compare it to the reception of games developed by Guerrilla Games, they've all done great games, as well as middling one's. Doesn't stop people being excited for the new titles. I don't think quality is ever guaranteed.

I know how it works. I responded to a specific post mentioning a game by Guerilla, who in my opinion have never released anything that can be compared to the likes of Remedy and Rare. Their track record is entirely average but pretty.

I had always planned on getting one. Owning one and watching all these awesome things like back compat happen has been icing on the cake. Phil Spencer is the real deal.

I'm jumping in with the Forza 6 bundle. Still wish the console was as powerful as the PS4, but I really like what they've been doing recently.

I'm quite surprised how many people on a pretty 'hardcore' gaming forum are happy to miss out on some of the biggest games that will be released this generation.
Time is money, and Microsoft's exclusives aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

By your logic, I should purchase a WiiU for Splatoon and the new Legend of Zelda. At least Nintendo has a consistent track record of quality when it comes to exclusives, especially when compared to Microsoft. My gaming PC, PS4, and access to my roommate's Xbone for ROTR fills up my gaming time just fine, with no hardware compromises. Works for me, and many others judging by this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom