• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who don't know, Devil's Third on Wii U uses UE3

I feel bad for the guys who left team ninja for Valhalla studio's. I love Itagaki's past output, but this looks terrible.

I'm sure there are worse looking UE3 games, but I really can't recall any.

Yes, because Team Ninja has been on a roll...let's at least wait for the game to come out first

2San

Yes, because Team Ninja has been on a roll...let's at least wait for the game to come out first
Maybe it's because I'm job searching atm, but I'd rather have Team Ninja as current employment than Valhalla studios on my resume.

Sure the game might surprise us, but I highly doubt it.

Celine

Call me crazy but I'm more interested in Devil's Third than Bayonetta 2 (though I'm sure Bayo 2 is a mighty fine game).

I feel bad for the guys who left team ninja for Valhalla studio's. I love Itagaki's past output, but this looks terrible.

I'm sure they regret to have left Team Ninja Dog.

It does look like Valhalla and the current Team Ninja are two weak halves of a whole AAA dev (just based on current observation of course until hopefully the final game wows us in the end. :) ).

Great together, terrible apart.

fernoca

Wii U games using UE3 are not surprising or shocking.

The whole debacle was the (previous) Wii, which was not capable of it. Same with the 3DS.

UE4 was the one that many debate on been onWii U. Is not officially supported, but doesn't mean it can't be used.

In the end is just the engine. Since not many third parties are supporting Wii U, there are not many games with it. And since many has moved on to other engines, less games using it too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

You should feel really bad for them if that rumor of employees taking out second mortgages just to keep the dream alive is really true.

Tain

Nothing surprising. And while I don't expect this to run at 60, I guess it's possible given the apparently beefier GPU in the Wii U.

So Prime on Gamecube used some version of UE? My mind is blown.

It didn't. That was just people speculating based on file extensions.

Edit: In fact, this duckroll post points out how insane the claim is:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33984336&postcount=132

There's no way Prime is based on UE2, and I HIGHLY doubt it's based on UE at all.

This game has been in development forever. It doesn't surprise me one bit its using UE3.

Batman Arkham Knight is using UE3. It's still capable of producing beautiful visuals, but it's down to the talent of the technical team. The visuals in Devil's Third look bloody awful, and I don't think a more modern engine would help much.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But the other thing is, remember Mark Rein said he had no problem with someone attempting to squeeze UE4 to Wii U? Why haven't Valhalla given it a shot? You'd think with Itagaki at the helm and with Nintendo's full backing, that we'd have a recipe for success with that goal.

Because the game started as a target PS360 title, was made with Unreal Engine 3 at the time which is targeted for those two consoles (and PC!) specifications and it's boneheaded to spend more time--after the game has been in development hell since THQ's collapse--redoing work on a new engine who's publishing house/developers have no intention of making a "fork" for's new platform... maybe?

(Whew, run-on sentence)

Seriously, that's kinda a "no, duh" kinda question. They don't have the time/money to do that and frankly I wouldn't want them to do that. I'd rather they get the game out ASAP and release instead of sitting there doing a Duke Forever on multiple engines so you can get maybe one or three titles that use Unreal Engine 4 on a platform that isn't really "officially supported" by the engine.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
unrelated:
Did we ever learn more about the Japanese Garden tech demo shown at the Wii U's reveal?

Its style reminds me of this game a bit..

Nothing surprising. And while I don't expect this to run at 60, I guess it's possible given the apparently beefier GPU in the Wii U.

It didn't. That was just people speculating based on file extensions.

Edit: In fact, this duckroll post points out how insane the claim is:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33984336&postcount=132

There's no way Prime is based on UE2, and I HIGHLY doubt it's based on UE at all.

Thanks, I'll add that to the OP. :)

L Thammy

So not only is this an ugly game, it's also the exact kind of cover based dude bro" game U owners shun, and snub the other systems for having.
Good luck with this one Nintendo.

Is it? It seems to have a lot of melee combat options. Stealing weapons, slide kick, jump attack, and throwing weapons in particular. The gunplay is the least interesting thing we've seen about it. The "dudebro" aspect is also kind of muddled since they've got a bunch of Japanese mythology in there.

Don't get me wrong though, this is selling four copies.

Stulaw

What "dudebro" cover based games are there on Wii U for the owners to even have a chance to shun?

Still, not surprising it's using UE3, it was a popular engine with the last generation and I guess the studio had a lot invested in it already.

Celine

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106046183&postcount=168

Where I remember seeing it. I can't find where he said it in an interview which is why I referred to it as a rumor

also funny thread in hindsight
Thanks.

Funny indeed :)

Benzy said:
The game will be sent to die if it's Nintendo. Itagaki is smart and I'm sure he knows the violent nature of this game won't appeal to the Wii-U demographic, regardless of whatever Nintendo is trying to do to make the console appeal more to hardcore gamers, not to mention the poor sales of the system. The game was already almost complete (~80%) when he started shopping it around for a new publisher anyway, so it's not like the new publisher would help that much with development. Itagaki and his colleagues had put a mortgage on their homes to finish the game.

If it's not Sony, it's multiplat folks. It's not MS, and Nintendo can do nothing for the game now. It's not the same case as Bayonetta 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
60fps is out of question since it's UE3. Unless they're pulling off a miracle. As of now the only UE3 60fps console games are fighters (NetherRealm titles and GGXrd).
I realize that, of course, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that Itagaki and crew would accept anything other than 60 fps. It just seems like madness.

It's not like Ninja Gaiden 2 ever ran at anything approaching a steady 60 FPS on the 360. That staircase sequence in particular runs at less than 20 FPS, it's all about throwing as much enemies and gore on screen at once.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not like Ninja Gaiden 2 ever ran at anything approaching a steady 60 FPS on the 360. That staircase sequence in particular runs at less than 20 FPS, it's all about throwing as much enemies and gore on screen at once.
Yes, Ninja Gaiden 2 was far from perfect, but it still hit 60 fps regularly enough to benefit from it. Every DOA fighting game and the original Ninja Gaiden managed a rock solid 60 fps.

Starting at 30 fps is a far sight worse especially when the game is visually less attractive than Ninja Gaiden 2.

Porcile

I'm hoping the game turns out like No More Heroes i.e an obviously low budget game, serviceable graphics but great mechanics with bonkers plot and characters. It looks like the game which might be able to fill that sadly missing hole. Also, it doesn't look as bad as I remember it.

Porcile

"Of course despite getting back their creature things were not going that great without a publisher, so the development went on veeery slowly for long. Yet, after a long search, a publisher was found: the guy did not know who (he said he wasn't told, despite still being in contact with his friends and ex colleagues), and at that point i made a joke about Nintendo being behind all this, to get some more hardcore love after their special relationship with Platinum.
He replied it would be quite an impossible scenario, since the game has always been very focused on graphics and performance (so at this point i assume it's safe to think Devil's Third is now a nextgen affair)."

This game sure has had a weird fucking development... I think development hell might be underselling it. At least this time they can have the security that it's going to make it through production. After that, who knows. You'd have to think it needs to be a very high quality game for someone else to take a chance on the next Valhalla game.

Glass Rebel

Yeah, the game looks pretty poor, both graphically and mechanically. I'm curious to see how it has changed after E3 but solely because it's Itagaki's first game in forever.

StevieP

Banned
UE4 runs on mobile, soooo.... Yeah. But the team wouldn't get any support from epic so what's the point of trying?

Pikma

Banned
So not only is this an ugly game, it's also the exact kind of cover based dude bro" game U owners shun, and snub the other systems for having.
Good luck with this one Nintendo.

This is not only a horrible post & run directed to fictitious individuals, it also has nothing to do with this thread's matter.

Nice job

The game looks fun as shit.

The only thing I'm worried about is the shooting mechanics. I preferred the over the shoulder stuff, rather than the weird twitchy iron sight CoD shooting.

kick51

Banned
But the other thing is, remember Mark Rein said he had no problem with someone attempting to squeeze UE4 to Wii U? Why haven't Valhalla given it a shot? You'd think with Itagaki at the helm and with Nintendo's full backing, that we'd have a recipe for success with that goal.

Probably just wants to get the game made and finished at this point.

Reallllly curious how it's gonna turn out.

This game sure has had a weird fucking development... I think development hell might be underselling it. At least this time they can have the security that it's going to make it through production. After that, who knows. You'd have to think it needs to be a very high quality game for someone else to take a chance on the next Valhalla game.

to his credit, Itagaki was a "when it's done" guy and that paid off with NG and DOA2:Ultimate. the former also being in dev hell for a long time with delays all the way up to release, the latter just getting delayed a lot.

I realize that, of course, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that Itagaki and crew would accept anything other than 60 fps. It just seems like madness.

Do we know the resolution? They may be able to get it to 60fps if they allow the resolution to take a hit. But with it not being a traditional character action game they may feel that they don't need that framerate.

Spot

I feel like this game is more niche than Bayonneta 2. I wonder what their expectations are for this game.

Top Bottom