• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Why It Matters 'Resident Evil 7' Isn't Coming To The Nintendo Switch Either

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...g-to-the-nintendo-switch-either/#2a4cc5601536

Express Online spoke to RE7’s producer Masachika Kawata, and while they seem to respect the Switch, that does not mean they’re porting to it.

“I think it's a very unique piece of hardware," producer Masachika Kawata explained. "I'm looking forward to the possibilities of the system itself, but we have no plans at the moment regarding Resident Evil on Switch."

Resident Evil, though not a family-friendly series, is no stranger to Nintendo hardware, which may make this news a bit disheartening for fans and potential Switch buyers. The Wii had Resident Evil 4, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, RE: Darkside Chronicles and RE Zero while the Wii U had Resident Evil: Revelations. But some may recall that Capcom has been publicly critical of Nintendo's hardware in the past. A Resident Evil 5 producer once famously said that the Wii couldn't even run that game's title screen. And despite that comment being made almost eight years ago, things have not changed. Resident Evil 7 will be yet another major release that will not make its way to the Nintendo Switch.

In the case of Resident Evil, the issue almost certainly seems to be a lack of power, rather than a lack of will, as in RE7 probably just cannot run on a Switch effectively. Yes, there’s always the argument that developers are waiting to see if the Switch is a huge hit and then they’ll commit to system, but it’s likely more than that.

Perhaps there’s little purpose in continuing to beat this point into the ground, but everyone has always hoped that whatever Nintendo’s next system would be, it would finally rebuild those bridges with third parties and develop a system capable of playing all these big games. But the more we learn about upcoming games and the Switch itself, the more it seems like Nintendo is now even losing what little third-party support it had left, with the Switch’s line-up looking even more anemic than the Wii U’s was early on. And going back to RE5, in this case Nintendo is still having the exact same issues with the exact same developers of the exact same series.

A system can rarely thrive on exclusives alone, and PS4 and Xbox would be dead if they tried as much. Only Nintendo seems to have the power to walk this tightrope and survive, but the Switch might be its toughest challenge to date in this regard.

I think honestly, there was little point in the author even writing this article IMO regarding Resident Evil. I think the issue will be which 3rd parties will support Switch and how they support it. I think the comment that the Switch is a unique piece of hardware is accurate, but I don't recall many saying that it is hard to develop for. I don't think it needs Resident Evil to survive, or Call of Duty, or any other mainstream titles of that like to survive. I think Nintendo will be just fine without the Third Party Support should games like Pokemon come out. Switch has third party support, we saw that during the presentation on a slide. This article makes it sound a bit like it doesn't.

Dystify

Can we stop with the contributor articles? They're basically glorified GAF postings.

Yeah that's a contributor. They get paid for page views so they usually tend to write quite controversial things.

The game itself released before Nintendo Switch so it makes sense that they skipped it. Not saying that's the only possible reason.

"everyone has always hoped that whatever Nintendo’s next system would be, it would finally rebuild those bridges with third parties and develop a system capable of playing all these big games."

No though??? If you're an industry pundit and you still think 3rd party support matters an iota to nintendo, you have not been paying attention. Same if you think Nintendo is going to build a powerhouse console that can compete with MS/Sony. Tired of all these ignorant takes by people who should not be getting paid to write about this industry.

. I think Nintendo will be just fine without the Third Party Support should games like Pokemon come out. Switch has third party support, we saw that during the presentation on a slide. This article makes it sound a bit like it doesn't.

That's assuming Nintendo's output can cover the casual fanbase that supports all consoles' for the majority of their sales, and the output is frequent. It's fine to say that you or the other Nintendo fanbase doesn't care about non-Nintendo games, but what helps sell a console is third-party support. RE7 might not be a big hitter, but missing Call Of Duty is leaving money on the table.

Darklor01

Can a MOD please delete this thread. I will try to not post contributor articles in the future. My fault for not properly thinking about what it was.

hatchx

Banned
It's basically a portable. People need to realize that.

Still hope we get RE4 and RE5 though. Maybe an RE revelations 1+2 dual pack. If the switch sells, these will sell.

sibarraz

Banned
Like it or not, the switch competes against the ps4 and one, and if by some reason you can't attract the playerbase with your first party games (at least enough to buy a console just for them). You will struggle without the latest AAA third party games.

For example, I feel like PS4 catalogue is stronger than the One, but since I prefer MS games over sony, I purchased that console since I knew that besides having MS, I'll have most of the third party games that will also come to PS4, so I will not suffer from drought.

With Switch you really don't know, I'm mean sure you will always have Nintendo Games, and Pokemon will carry the console after it's release, but at the moment there isn't a very good reason to pick a switch over the ps4 or one. At least for me between the ps4 and switch, I'm more inclined towards the ps4, since I know that it will be the console that will get most of the big AAA games

Deadstar

They're making the same mistake as the Wii U. They're releasing under powered hardware that won't be able to run 3rd party games. You're left with playing just Nintendo games, which personally I'm okay with.

It remains to be seen how well this game will sell and if that would really translate into Switch sales. I mean more software is always good but there are bigger games they need and issues that the Switch faces

Gator86

Why do people repeat this? Do you guys really think Nintendo doesn't want 3rd party support? What kind of madness is this?

Quality over quantity/Nintendo is better without those games/other inane ramblings from someone wearing a Zelda t-shirt, rocking back and forth on the floor in the fetal position.

Dystify

Is this a serious post? I can't tell

Well maybe it's a bit generalizing. Check all of their latest Nintendo articles though.

Some examples:
  • "The 5 biggest problems with Nintendo Switch"
  • "Why am i worried Nintendo Switch is just another WiiU"
  • "The hidden cost of the Nintendo Switch keeps adding up"
  • "The Nintendo Switch Sounds Woefully Underpowered"
  • "Why It Matters 'Resident Evil 7' Isn't Coming To The Nintendo Switch Either."

Anyway, sorry for derailing the topic a bit.If people want to discuss the issue of the article I don't wanna stand in their way.

ngower

Monster Hunter and Street Fighter are already slated for the Switch. Capcom *are* supporting the Switch, so this article suggesting otherwise is silly and stupid.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I think it's a mistake by capcom. Classic franchises like resident evil, megmaan, street fighter are good fits for Nintendo consoles.

Darklor01

I think it's a mistake by capcom. Classic franchises like resident evil, megmaan, street fighter are good fits for Nintendo consoles.

I'd seen a video online which seemed to suggest that they'd be releasing classic SF2 and such, but I don't know where the creator got that from. Anyone have clues?

Gin

Yeah that's a contributor. They get paid for the clicks so they usually tend to write quite negative things about Nintendo.

The game itself released before Nintendo Switch so it makes sense that they skipped it. Not saying that's the only possible reason.

so random question... is Forbes paying for negative feedback on the switch??
Does forbes have something to gain out of this - or is Forbes the middle man in this.. and someone else wants Forbes to write neg stuff

Has forbes ever written anything positive about Nintendo at all?

Support is terrible, you better like Mario/Zelda and Splatoon.
Not surprising though, nintendo might act like wiiu never happened but that's not how it works.

Megaman is dead, so...

And I don't think Revelations reached Capcom expectations on 3DS. I think there's a reason why it was ported everywhere and the second one skipped entirely the 3DS.

Switch has third party support, we saw that during the presentation on a slide.

A slide isn't the same as having games from third parties. I remember seeing similar things for the "NGP".

r83WAmU.gif

Why do people repeat this? Do you guys really think Nintendo doesn't want 3rd party support? What kind of madness is this?

Because they haven't seriously courted third parties since the N64/Gamecube days and Nintendo games tend to be the only ones that sell well on their consoles? Of course they want third-party support, in the sense that it'd be nice if they had it, but they're not gonna go out of their way for it, and their consoles being less powerful than the MS/Sony ones means most AAA third-party games won't play nice on Nintendo's platforms anyway.

MisterHero

They even admitted regretting skipping Wii. If they want to make portable Resident Evil games they can (and have).

Imagine if Switch was the lead platform for some games. If a game fits on Switch then all the other platforms can get it.

I can understand RE, but I think we've reached a point where there's no reason Switch can't have, for example, a fighting game with the 100% exact gameplay of the other versions.

jrcbandit

Releasing it for the Switch would just mean very poor sales. A month+ late at $60 would mean miniscule sales and it wouldn't be worth the development costs to start with a $30-40 price tag to get any sales. Would be much better off porting RE4, RE:make, and the upcoming RE2 remake.

StoveOven

Banned
That's assuming Nintendo's output can cover the casual fanbase that supports all consoles' for the majority of their sales, and the output is frequent. It's fine to say that you or the other Nintendo fanbase doesn't care about non-Nintendo games, but what helps sell a console is third-party support. RE7 might not be a big hitter, but missing Call Of Duty is leaving money on the table.

People who want to play Call of Duty already have a console one which they can play Call of Duty. That console also has all of their friends they play Call of Duty with. Nobody bought a WiiU to play Black Ops 2, and nobody would buy a Switch to play (insert this year's CoD here).

LordRaptor

In the case of Resident Evil, the issue almost certainly seems to be a lack of power, rather than a lack of will, as in RE7 probably just cannot run on a Switch effectively. Yes, there's always the argument that developers are waiting to see if the Switch is a huge hit and then they'll commit to system, but it's likely more than that.

This is one of the most weaselly worded paragraphs I have ever read

Darklor01

Do you think people buy the Switch port of one of the older RE games like the Origins Collection?

zoukka

The moment we saw the specs, everyone with half a brain knew the Switch would not get good 3rd party support.

mario_O

You'll have to own two consoles to play Ninty games and third-parties. Again.

As a first party-only machine they shouldn't be asking for a subscription plan.

How many people are going to pay for the subscription of two consoles?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Between the Wii and Wii U, Nintendo burned practically all of its third party bridges, why would anyone with a semblance of a brain think they would be coming back?

Edit: As I've said before:

The Gamecube sold roughly on-par with the Xbox and sported hardware that was roughly as powerful, but third party developers still started ditching the system after its second year.

The Wii sold like gangbusters but third party developers didn't bother giving the system anything other than PS2/PSP ports and weird side projects.

The Wii U didn't have the hardware parity of the Gamecube or the audience of the Wii, so nobody bothered developing for the thing at all.

And now the Switch is a repeat of the Wii U situation except that developers should be doubly cautious about it because of the Wii U selling worse than anyone could have possible imagined.

but it's not, it's a home console that can go handled.

No, it's both. Do you really think Nintendo's going to release another handheld with probably the same battery life at best that is weaker, likely to be $50-$70 less in the best case scenario which also competes with half of the functionality of the Switch and diverts their own developers attention away from the Switch?

Switch is the successor to the 3DS. It just so happened 3DS sold well so Nintendo will still support for at least a year as Nintendo has traditionally done for their successful consoles.

oti

Banned
It is Paul Tassi's specialty.

I find his pieces incredibly pointless. It's basically a message board post blown up into an article and because it's on Forbes people think it deserves attention.

I mean, it's the same guy who not only believed those crazy ass rumours about Silent Hills being close to finished, that Microsoft bought it as an exclusive and then he topped it all off by saying MS should buy Metal Gear Solid.

Hey, you don't need Forbes for your fanfiction needs.

Top Bottom