• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Why It Matters 'Resident Evil 7' Isn't Coming To The Nintendo Switch Either

I have doubts the tech has much to do with any of this. It is likely more about publishers being a bit more hesitant to initially invest on a new Nintendo system after what happened with the Wii U. That may positively change in time.

LordRaptor

I have doubts the tech has much to do with any of this. It is likely more about publishers being a bit more hesitant to initially invest on a new Nintendo system after what happened with the Wii U. That may positively change in time.

I mean, the article literally cites an example of Capcom coming right out and talking about a previous title not hitting a previous platform due to specs, so you'd think if specs were an issue for capcom with the switch, they'd have no problem coming right out and saying that.

But they're not. And nor is anyone else, outside of a drunken TF2 level designer.

So to write an entire article based on the premise that the switch isn't getting ports because of specs...

I'd only be worried if the Switch doesn't eventually get a port of RE4. Pretty sure even the Commodore 64 got a port of that game.

No one was expecting RE7 on the Switch though. Who's the dummy that ever thought otherwise?

The Switch will be, for better or worse, what the Wii was in it's time:

A complementary system that doesn't even try to directly compete with the competition.

"Wii + 360 household" and "Wii + PS3 household" where incredibly common because of this complementary nature.

That's what Nintendo is aiming to do again.

Time will just have to see if they can pull it off.

You don't sell 100 million consoles by being a "complementary" system. The Wii was what it was because it sold to a huge audience of people who had no interest in 360s or PS3s. It remains to be seen if that audience even still exists (I bet not).

Is there a certain point where portable versions (I know Switch is marketed as a console but its hardware is portable so) of console titles became less of a thing? I think its weird that the Vita was significantly weaker than the PS3/PS4 but got things like UMvC3, Borderlands 2, Resident Evil Revelations 2 and World of Final Fantasy whereas the Switch doesn't look to be getting anything, even when nowadays engines are more scaleable than ever. The GPD Win can run a surprising number of modern games (including Resident Evil 7 by the looks of it), and I want to say that the Switch is stronger than it (not sure though) and titles could be better optimized, if even slightly, so I don't think power has anything to do with it.

Can we stop with the contributor articles? They're basically glorified GAF postings.
Nope but we need to stop sneering about the contributer articles and dismissing them based on it, seeing as most of the ones shared here are written by real freelance writers with robust resumes and experience.

Screwtape

Neo Member
You don't sell 100 million consoles by being a "complementary" system. The Wii was what it was because it sold to a huge audience of people who had no interest in 360s or PS3s. It remains to be seen if that audience even still exists (I bet not).

Very true, but my point is that I don't believe that Nintendo aiming for a unique experience is necessary the wrong move. Banking on a gimmick has worked before(wii/ds) and competing head-to-head has failed before (GC). Switch is a toss-up.

yeah thats not a good thing

I never said it was a good or bad thing, just an obvious one.

Crayon

Wouldn't most people who would be interested in the usual 3rd part suspects have an xbone or ps4 by now? I'm not sure I see the value in nintendo chasing that market.

If Switch could just get some of the biggest multiplatform games, it would make a huge difference. Things like Skyrim, GTA5, Overwatch, Madden, Destiny 2; games that have a broad appeal that goes a little beyond the core gamer who does in fact already have a ps4. That would bring a lot of people on. With a few aaa games alongside he nintendo staples and traditional portable games the library would look diverse and well rounded.

This is going to be the first of many articles about how xyZ game isnt making the switch. Unless Nintendo can hit e3 2017 with a good showcase of 3rd party games incoming. It will be what it is and its potential will be quickly apparent by then.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...g-to-the-nintendo-switch-either/#2a4cc5601536

I think honestly, there was little point in the author even writing this article IMO regarding Resident Evil. I think the issue will be which 3rd parties will support Switch and how they support it. I think the comment that the Switch is a unique piece of hardware is accurate, but I don't recall many saying that it is hard to develop for. I don't think it needs Resident Evil to survive, or Call of Duty, or any other mainstream titles of that like to survive. I think Nintendo will be just fine without the Third Party Support should games like Pokemon come out. Switch has third party support, we saw that during the presentation on a slide. This article makes it sound a bit like it doesn't.

Delusional, just delusional. Nintendo has a forever shrinking demographic. Because they are as delusional as you are.

If Switch could just get some of the biggest multiplatform games, it would make a huge difference. Things like Skyrim, GTA5, Overwatch, Madden, Destiny 2; games that have a broad appeal that goes a little beyond the core gamer who does in fact already have a ps4. That would bring a lot of people on. With a few aaa games alongside he nintendo staples and traditional portable games the library would look diverse and well rounded.

I'm kind of surprised Nintendo didn't seem to try to get Overwatch or GTAV. Both are games that aren't super demanding (Overwatch runs decently on a GPD Win, GTAV ran on last gen consoles with significantly less RAM and ancient architecture) and even if they are late ports it's not like people aren't playing them today.

Bluth54

Cool post from 2005 you have here.

Nintendo captured the casual/non gamer demographic with the DS and Wii. That group has pretty much completely moved on the tablets and smartphone games. Do you really think that group is going to spend $300 on a Switch, $50-60 for games and however much Nintendo's going to charge for online or just keep on playing F2P games on their smartphones?

Nintendo has been positioning their hardware as secondary console since the Wii. This isn't news. If you though Nintendo was going to go after the PS4 with Switch as the main console, you weren't paying attention.

Thats exactly his point. People wont want to pay for a subscription for a second console

etking

Banned
It just confirms that the the Switch is a console made for small children which the Gamecube and N64 with lots of mature games were not.

Chindogg

Nope but we need to stop sneering about the contributer articles and dismissing them based on it, seeing as most of the ones shared here are written by real freelance writers with robust resumes and experience.

You and I aren't reading the same articles then because 90% of Forbes contributor articles (like this one) are poorly written speculative garbage with very little sourcing. There's a reason why people dismiss the topic whenever it says "Forbes."

Why people can open threads with youtubers opinions, etc... but no forbes contributors?

I want to kill Youtuber threads too but people seem to find those popular. Forbes contributors are usually just randoms that say whatever to get them a click. It's practically the bottom of the barrel when it comes to writing and information quality.

No you wouldn't. What do you even think HD Rumble is?

It's rumble with more accurate positioning and intensities. It's a struggle to even come up with ideas on how it would enhance a game like REVII in a way that's worth spending another 60 bucks on.

Heartbeat monitor would get my money.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I would have double-dipped if the HD rumble feature was supported.

It's rumble with more accurate positioning and intensities. It's a struggle to even come up with ideas on how it would enhance a game like REVII in a way that's worth spending another 60 bucks on.

D.Lo

Nintendo captured the casual/non gamer demographic with the DS and Wii. That group has pretty much completely moved on the tablets and smartphone games. Do you really think that group is going to spend $300 on a Switch, $50-60 for games and however much Nintendo's going to charge for online or just keep on playing F2P games on their smartphones?
So Nintendo 'captured' a demographic with the DS and Wii, both of which were released well before the iPhone and iPad. And when they had that demographic - which they either invented (not 'captured' from non-existent iPhone/iPad audience) or stole from the PS2 depending on who you ask - their sales increased a great deal.

So therefore
Nintendo has a forever shrinking demographic.
is like a throwback to 2005. They have increased their demographic before.

PSFan

With over 85 million PS3 owners and 85 million 360 owners, I think you do sell 100 million consoles by being a "complimentary" system as well as being attractive to soccer moms and grandmas. I'm sure a huge amount of those other console owners bought the Wii as a complimentary system, I know I did.

D.Lo

With over 85 million PS3 owners and 85 million 360 owners, I think you do sell 100 million consoles by being a "complimentary" system as well as being attractive to soccer moms and grandmas. I'm sure a huge amount of those other console owners bought the Wii as a complimentary system, I know I did.
At the end of 2010, the Wii was already at ~80-85 million, and 360 and PS3 at around 40 million each or thereabouts. Wii sales fell off dramatically in 2011, as Nintendo's developers had started to focus on launching the 3DS, and third parties had shit the bed with their shovelware on the Wii. But to that point it had basically sold as much as the other two combined.

So really it was more like a huge number of Wii owners got a PS3 or 360 as a 'complimentary' system from 2010 onward, since nobody was making games for the console they had already bought. Microsoft and Sony even actively targeted them with the Kinect and Move.

Scrawnton

I sense we're in for a lot of "Why is XXX not on the Switch" threads this year. Sigh.
I think it's more like "lol Switch isn't getting XXX." Followed by a bunch of posts bashing the system. As a Nintendo fan I know the game, I'm not gonna get bent over third parties not bringing their games. Most of these threads will be started by people trying to stir some crap.

Branduil

I doubt hardware is the reason it's not. It's more like everyone saw what happened with late ports on the Wii U and no one is going to do that again.

Kirkbangles

Neo Member
People didn't buy a Wii U for Nintendo games.

Aside from the DS and Wii, which captured the casual market in a way that's not likely to happen again due much of that market moving on to smartphones and tablets every Nintendo console has sold less then the last Nintendo console and every Nintendo portable has sold less then the last Nintendo portable. That's something that can't keep happening if Nintendo wants to remain a hardware manufacturer they need to turn that around. At this point given the software library we know about and the high price point of the Switch I can't see many outside of the hardcore Nintendo faithful buying one.

They need more then just Nintendo games on the system to get people to buy it and so far that doesn't really seem to be happening.

Agreed. However, how well it sold has nothing to do with which games the people that did purchase it, bought for their system. I'm simply saying that anyone who bought their Wii U or any other nintendo console from the 64 forward (portables excluded), for the major third party exclusives is more or less delusional. The third party support will NEVER again be there, at least not in any meaningful way in comparison to the other two consoles. I'm cool with that though, I buy Nintendo for Nintendo games.

It just confirms that the the Switch is a console made for small children which the Gamecube and N64 with lots of mature games were not.

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

Calm Mind

Capcom continually fucks up Resident Evil on Nintendo platforms, then blames Nintendo players.

RE4 is Gamecube exclusive for years. PS2 version 'with exclusive extra content' announced before Gamecube game's release. Reasoning from Capcom - you need a console to sell the best, doesn't matter if your machine is less powerful it's just about userbase.

Gamecube successor Wii now destroying other consoles is sales. So RE4 is ported to Wii, along with an all new game: RE: Imagine Babiez light gun game because according to Capcom 'Wii players can't handle a real game'. Capcom refers to both as 'tests' for the Wii audience. Both sell well, but RE4 sells better, test passed? But Wii gets no RE5, no new 3rd person RE game, but does get RE: Imagine Babiez 2.

3DS has Revelations coming. They muddy the waters by releasing a shovelware game, RE: Mercenaries, six months earlier. Revelations sells decently (800k or something?) but gets budget HD ports. Wii HD version is late and sells worst (being both late and the console with most likely lots of crossover with the 3DS userbase). No other platform sells anywhere near as well as 3DS version, despite it costing far less to buy the HD game. Capcom: well we need to skip the originator and highest selling platform for the next one don't we!

I mean there's obviously various other factors to all the above decisions, but the result for the Nintendo console consumer is a trail of bullshit. Nobody else has ever gotten fucking 'test' games.

Underappreciated post. Capcom's track record with Nintendo platforms speaks for itself.

Maxrunner

Have you tried it?

It's like some people already forgot the disaster that was the Wii U. Nintendo fans should want third party support. It can only help the console.

emalord

It's like some people already forgot the disaster that was the Wii U. Nintendo fans should want third party support. It can only help the console.

The WiiU is probably a commercial disaster but sports the best platform (Tropical Freeze), action game (Bayonetta2) and racing game (Mario Kart 8) of the last years on any platform plus some valid exclusives (W101)
For me, WiiU is the Dreamcast of recent years

It just needed 4/5 more groundbreaking titles to be the best NINTENDO console since Gamecube (a New Metroid and a more appealing StarFox probably)

That said, I agree that the last sub-par NINTENDO hardwares might have hurt third parties ambitions

Bluth54

So Nintendo 'captured' a demographic with the DS and Wii, both of which were released well before the iPhone and iPad. And when they had that demographic - which they either invented (not 'captured' from non-existent iPhone/iPad audience) or stole from the PS2 depending on who you ask - their sales increased a great deal.

So therefore

is like a throwback to 2005. They have increased their demographic before.

Some of the casual Wii audience may of been PS2 players, some may of been people who played NES, SNES or Genesis in e past but fell out of gaming and some may of been people who had never gamed before in their life, but Nintendo was able to grab those people for the Wii and DS. You take those two out and all Nintendo hardware has sold less the the previous hardware. There's a clear trend. Maybe Nintendo will be able to capture them back (but with smartphone along with the high price of the Switch and the price they pay for games on their smartphones I doubt it). When a gamer looks at the Switch they see a price that's the same or higher after sales of the current console with a tiny library and another subscription service for online on top of all the other services they pay for. I just can't bsee very many of them being interested.

All that's really left is the hardcore Nintendo faithful and has history has show us that's a shrinking base.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why would you not expect such a big game to be on a brand new console released in 2017

And THIS is why the Switch will never live up to it's full potential. It's basically going to be a Nintendo machine with a limit amount of cool 3rd party games. And funny enough people are fine with this.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Thats exactly his point. People wont want to pay for a subscription for a second console

Not really going to debate your overall point, because I don't think it is entirely wrong. I just want to mention, I have a sub for Playstation 4 (PSN) and for Xbox One (Xbox Live) and I am not going to rule out paying for Nintendo's offering should it be worth it. Currently, I don't think I like the concepts being presented, and I don't like that after a month, they're taking back my ability to play the monthly "classic" game they let me play with sub.

Top Bottom