• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Gears of War Franchise Narrative Director, Bonnie Jean Mah, Joins God of War Developer Sony Santa Monica

pqueue

enjoy guys. she will ensure that Kratos gets sidelined in his own title by a Strong Womanx (TM) (C) (R).

Not talking having a strong female character. Like Freya . But literally replacing whole sections of the gameplay as her.

all of the "narratives" she drove for Gears were garbage tier.

And this is coming from someone whose Canadian wife's brother works for the Coalition.

Last edited:

SABRE220

The narrative of gears was....not its strong point so honestly not sure this will enhance the studio but maybe the cheesy narrative was what the the game director wanted for the geow series. Just checked her stance and past statements, oh lord they're going to neuter gow aren't they.

Last edited:

Kupfer

So she's the one responsible for turning Gears into a teenage Netflix flick?
Same happened to God of War without her ... so blame modern AAA gaming maybe and the attempt to indoctrinate players with a political agenda just because it aligns with the current zeitgeist.
Corporations just hope for greater sales and more money as a result.
It's not about considering players or minorities, empowering them, or taking care of them. It's just the current strategy to make more money.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
This was a mistake.

cef1ce7ed68e902e85ca1b2805cc96a9.jpg

Last edited:

Kikorin

I still can't believe how Gears of War passed from beeing a badass action game with memorable powerful characters and strong emotional moments that everyone remember from the original trilogy (especially 1 & 2, but the third one was still good), to the colorful, boring and edulcorated new version, filled with weak and forgettable characters and awful design. The first part of Gears 5 made me hope for a comeback, but then the "open world" sadly happened.

I'll play the new God of War version too very soon, but I don't know why I've the impression something similar could be happened to Kratos too.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
she is the studio's NARRATIVE DIRECTOR.

That means she is in charge of the teams working on the studio's projects.

ALL projects.

Ok so tell me what does a narrative director do? And dont say some stupid shit like directs the narrative.

She’s the narrative director of a studio if it’s a one game studio.

pqueue

Ok so tell me what does a narrative director do? And dont say some stupid shit like directs the narrative.

She’s the narrative director of a studio if it’s a one game studio.
overseas the narrative development of all titles and any extended universe product (games, books, comics, etc) and ensures that all such products are consistent with established canon, thematic qualities, and upcoming/in development games.

leizzra

First of all - she's a Narrative Director for the project not the whole studio. She can be in the long run, but here she says something different. Moreover she's in charge of narrative, but she still have people above her (like Cory or someone else in charge of the project) that have more to say about the direction of the story or characters.

Thirty7ven

Banned
overseas the narrative development of all titles and any extended universe product (games, books, comics, etc) and ensures that all such products are consistent with established canon, thematic qualities, and upcoming/in development games.

No.

midnightAI

First of all - she's a Narrative Director for the project not the whole studio. She can be in the long run, but here she says something different. Moreover she's in charge of narrative, but she still have people above her (like Cory or someone else in charge of the project) that have more to say about the direction of the story or characters.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner

There are more than one Narrative Directors at SSM, Matt Sophos for example is/was the Narrative Director of God of War: Ragnarok
You can have one or more narrative directors on a single project and they just oversea the narrative not write it themselves (although they can suggest improvements to the writing team) and as mentioned they are below the game director so they arent fully in charge of the narrative written by the game writers/story leads, but 'usually' they are trusted by the higher ups to make the right choices of course, just like any job.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Was she there for 1-3? If her work was 4 & 5 then the Gears franchise is losing much with her departure.
She didn't write any of the Gears games, she was Narrative Director on Gears 4, 5, Tactics and Hivebusters
She was lead writer on Age of Empires IV and Warhammer 40000: Space Marine and Dark Millennium Online

(She's been involved with a lot of sci-fi, so wouldn't surprise me if she's working on Corey's new game if rumours of it being space sci-fi are correct)

Last edited:

FingerBang

This was a mistake.

cef1ce7ed68e902e85ca1b2805cc96a9.jpg
Your players don't care who your characters like to fuck. The diverse group of gamers wants GOOD WRITING, not ticking boxes to make a bunch of unlikeable cunts (I'm in the UK, I can say this word)

Luckily it seems companies are slowly pulling out of ESG and most ideologically driven stuff is failing miserably (coff, Disney, coff). I'm hopeful for the future. We won't go back to a gaming market with mostly white bald man as protagonists, but they'll start focusing on good writing again and get rid of the incompetents who rose to power in these weird times.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Oh man.. Where to start about the utterly atrocious Gears 4 and 5 narrative.. Beyond embarrassing. To be fair she might not be solely responsible..

Thirty7ven

Banned
She didn't write any of the Gears games, she was Narrative Director on Gears 4, 5, Tactics and Hivebusters
She was lead writer on Age of Empires IV and Warhammer 40000: Space Marine and Dark Millennium Online

(She's been involved with a lot of sci-fi, so wouldn't surprise me if she's working on Corey's new game if rumours of it being space sci-fi are correct)

Yup it sounds like the sci fi game.

Dazraell

Gold Member
Oh man.. Where to start about the utterly atrocious Gears 4 and 5 narrative.. Beyond embarrassing. To be fair she might not be solely responsible..
Gears were never big about narrative, but to be fair earlier God of War games prior to Norse ones weren't either

That being said, I personally think the team who did Hivebusters expansion really nailed it. My favourite Gears campaign since Gears of War 3

StueyDuck

which gears games are we talking about though, not that any of them a pure literacy genius, but 5 is pretty terrible narratively

Last edited:

Krieger

I will never understand this pandering bullshit. The managers and CEOs are pandering to minorities, but why do they think these minorities will spend more money than the majority? What's their logic here? How do they think "minority = more money, majority = less money"? Do they think a group of black/asian/muslim/gay/etc. people are suddenly gonna buy a console + game + subscription service, even though they never even heard of the game series before, just because there is someone who looks/acts like them in the game? They alienate their existing fanbase, for a potential fanbase that doesn't exist yet. Why?

Top Bottom