• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Gears of War Franchise Narrative Director, Bonnie Jean Mah, Joins God of War Developer Sony Santa Monica

Fbh

Was she narrative director during the fun badass dude bro Gears 1-3 era ? Or the boring bargain bin young adult novel era of Gears 4-5?

Based on the quotes and comments here I'm going to guess the latter.

Danknugz

i never really liked gears of war but i gave it chance with part 1 and 2. after that it was just the same boring ass "aliens on steroids" crap over and over again, completely devoid of any authenticity or innovation whatsoever. it's literally series like this that come into my head when i think about why video games are so horrible.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
She’s probably a good hard working person. The last two gears were nothing to write home about. I forget I even played 4 and 5 and I finished both at their launch. They want to cater everything until it becomes some watered down generic script.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Was she narrative director during the fun badass dude bro Gears 1-3 era ? Or the boring bargain bin young adult novel era of Gears 4-5?

Based on the quotes and comments here I'm going to guess the latter.
Here's her Mobygames, she was the narrative lead in Gears 5 when it was time for the stale males to STEP ASIDE for the stunning and brave women warriors

Same stuff that they did in SW and MCU.

squarealex

This was a mistake.

cef1ce7ed68e902e85ca1b2805cc96a9.jpg
Well... shit

shamoomoo

Goddess of War: Electric boogaloo, coming right up.

Freya IS a goddess of war in Norse mythology. And SSM is working on a GoW "half game", at least that is what the rumor mill said.

I could easily see a Freya led spin-off like the Miles Morales game was to Spider-Man.
Sony I believe has the Heavenly Sword ip, there's nothing stopping a remake.

Freya IS a goddess of war in Norse mythology. And SSM is working on a GoW "half game", at least that is what the rumor mill said.

I could easily see a Freya led spin-off like the Miles Morales game was to Spider-Man.
Freya is probably the most interesting character in the new GoW games, so this actually sounds like a good idea, her story arc is pretty interesting.

It's only a good idea if they give her interesting fun combat/gameplay mechanics.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Nothing of value has been lost, or gained.

Couldn't care less about Gears of War, even in its hayday, and God of War is clearly never going to return to the combat/camera/style of the original games.

ShadowLag

God of War already committed suicide with Ragnarok, so this is just the beginning of the salt in the wound which always follows these kinds of things.

This was a mistake.

What in the actual fuck is goin on with the gaming industry?

I’ve never seen such a hive mind homogeneity in any industry before. If it was even like 80/20 woke to non political I’d be like hm okay but post 2018 it’s literally every single western studio and sometimes even beyond. Imagine if every single film was like a sanitized Disney movie, imagine if every book was like a mass market YA novel, imagine if every single tv show was just an irreverent streaming drama comedy. I feel like that’s triple A gaming now

Last edited:

Could be a good idea. Freya actually had a nice story arc and would be a better protagonist to play with than Atreus because of her magic abilities, Valkyrie combat skills and ability to change shape. Atreus has magic abilities too, but Freya has more experience.

Last edited:

Editaur

More whitty dialogue and quips as I move my hands around like a drunken fish.

That's all I want in my video games.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
If you guys didn’t believe GOW was dead after GOWR. Now you know.
🚶🏼‍♂️

PS: it’s like SONY really want to kill off their franchises one by one. I mean WTF!!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
What in the actual fuck is goin on with the gaming industry?

I’ve never seen such a hive mind homogeneity in any industry before. If it was even like 80/20 woke to non political I’d be like hm okay but post 2018 it’s literally every single western studio and sometimes even beyond. Imagine if every single film was like a sanitized Disney movie, imagine if every book was like a mass market YA novel, imagine if every single tv show was just an irreverent streaming drama comedy. I feel like that’s triple A gaming now
The educational system is nothing more than a propaganda wing for liberals. They are coming out brainwashed right from the factory now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Same happened to God of War without her ... so blame modern AAA gaming maybe and the attempt to indoctrinate players with a political agenda just because it aligns with the current zeitgeist.
Corporations just hope for greater sales and more money as a result.
It's not about considering players or minorities, empowering them, or taking care of them. It's just the current strategy to make more money.

So..........AAA gaming is only supposed to put the spotlight on who again?

The educational system is nothing more than a propaganda wing for liberals. They are coming out brainwashed right from the factory now.

Such a brain-dead post. It's as if being a victim is the goal in life for some of you all. The whole education system in a propaganda wing for liberals? LOL!!!!

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Works for me. Gears is saved and Kratos had a good run.

When Alanah and this mongoloid get together it’ll be a dumpster fire .

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
So..........AAA gaming is only supposed to put the spotlight on who again?

Such a brain-dead post. It's as if being a victim is the goal in life for some of you all. The whole education system in a propaganda wing for liberals? LOL!!!!

Read it then shut the fuck up. Welcome to my ignore list.

laynelane

This was a mistake.

On the surface, this is a good message. Too bad it didn't really turn out that way at all. Instead we have what a few out of touch people view as "diversity" being shoehorned into games. Somewhat similar, but it reminds me of Bungie's push to celebrate "latinx" and their subsequent ignoring of people who fit that demographic (when they tried to explain why it's offensive). All this "diversity" is just so performative and hollow in many cases. It's no wonder so many of us just find it tiring at this point.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

😂🤣😂🤣

Thank the gaming gods, there is hope for the new Gears now! She worked on all the Gears games that drove the franchise into the ground.

Have fun, Sony gamers! If Bonnie Ross is done with her family emergency, maybe Sony can hire her as well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Read it then shut the fuck up. Welcome to my ignore list.

Yes people think dumb things when social media pushes false narratives and bots pretend to be people for engagement.

Top Bottom