• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former San Francisco 49ers Star Dwight Clark Has ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TankRizzo

Banned
God damn it. One of the greats :(

In a statement released by the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday, the two-time Super Bowl champion says he suspects that his football career may have been the cause of the disease.

Clark says he began noticing symptoms in September 2015, with weakness in his left hand that he says he assumed was some sort of nerve damage from his playing days. Now, less than two years later, Clark says his condition has deteriorated to a point where he struggles to walk for any considerable amount of time.

I’ve been asked if playing football caused this. I don’t know for sure. But I certainly suspect it did. And I encourage the NFLPA and the NFL to continue working together in their efforts to make the game of football safer, especially as it relates to head trauma.

http://deadspin.com/former-san-francisco-49ers-star-dwight-clark-has-als-1793440696

TMC

Really sad to hear. My uncle died from ALS. I wish they could find a cure for this damn terrible disease already.

see5harp

I think ALS and other degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's will be beaten eventually. It may be 15 years down the road as really effective treatment for Alzheimer's is just now going through preliminary testing. Really like a lot of the old guys like Dwight and Brent Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom