• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Sony Dev says, PS5 and Xbox Series X Power Difference Is STAGGERING !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lol

Stumbled on this, curiously clicked it, this entire thread is hilarious in hindsight
lol haha. This is my favorite post. From ProElite/DukeBlueBalls/Tommy Fucking Fisher
This is AMD SmartShift:

J9srtkM.png

Notice how the power ratios between GPU and CPU can be extreme either side?

The ends are the CPU downclocked by 50%, and the GPU upclocked by 20%, or the CPU upclocked by 20% and the GPU downclocked by 40%.

I expect the PS5 to spend most of its time at ~3.4GHz, and ~2ghz. The memory bandwidth suggests that operating range. 448GB/s is too little for ~10TF narrow and fast design.

Just a reminder that PS5 GPU at 2.23ghz has to push 53% more rasterization per GB/s than the X.

I think there are edge cases in some games where 2.23ghz can be brought to full use. I.e. moments with lots of alpha transparency effects (fog, windows).
  • GPU downclocked by 40%!!!!
  • CPU downclocked by 50%
  • 9 tflops.
  • Memory Bandwidth bottlenecks.

What a post!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm not proud to admit this but I fell for this BS. There was so much negativity at the time that I thought some of it was true. Fortunately that didn't happen.
Sony's terrible marketing and Cerny going silent didnt help matters. I legit thought the PS5 was a disaster. This was almost 8 months before RDNA 2.0 was announced and AMD's high clock and perf/watt gains were announced. We were working on half of the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom