• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Valve employee seeks $3.1M in transgender discrimination suit

Reminded of Orayn's tweet in case people dismiss the work of translators.
orayn_neogaf_translating_tweet_by_digi_matrix-da3rovo.png

Didn't this whole translation problem blew up a few months ago? I'm sure I've read about it somewhere about how members of the italian(?) translation team got angry at a Valve employee that promised them things, and that their senior translator got fired, because she supported the translation team, which apparently is the same employee suing Valve right now?

I'm almost sure this had a thread here at Neogaf.

There were some post on reddit months about something going on on with the translations teams at valve

https://www.reddit.com/r/dotamasterrace/comments/452qns/spanish_translation_server_team_of_steam_in/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/44yl24/how_a_whole_language_of_the_steam_translation/

But never gained traction around the web, I bet this will do.

I knew I've read about that somewhere.

It is quite ironic really. Of all the game clients, Steam has the worst overlay, and their customer support continue being terrible, despite they promising they will make it better (we know they wont). Heck, Uplay is better than Steam in some ways.

It is a shame really, I used to respect Valve and Newell. Now, they only seem to live from Steam, Esports and, soon, from paid mods.

Well, gotta remember, Gaben was part of Microsoft during the height of the Embrace, Extend, Extinguish/other monopolistic practices-era. He didn't leave MS because of objections to their corporate culture, he left because he saw DOOM 2 was moving more units than Windows 95.

Embrace = Half-Life, Counter-Strike
Extend = Steam, Orange Box, opening Steam up to third-parties, Steam Market, Workshop, other Steam APIs, DOTA 2, etc.
Extinguish = Ceasing to make games and rolling in their 30% cut of all money that goes through Steam, whilst being too big for any other services to compete with.

...Let's not pretend that EA's presence on PC has not diminished greatly because of them abandoning Steam.

AJ_Wings

There were some post on reddit months about something going on on with the translations teams at valve

https://www.reddit.com/r/dotamasterrace/comments/452qns/spanish_translation_server_team_of_steam_in/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/44yl24/how_a_whole_language_of_the_steam_translation/

Oh I definitely remember that. Some people working at Valve are pure scum. So much for their "open culture".

duckroll

You know, I've never really paid attention to this localization problem with Valve. I always assumed they contracted the work rather than fansourcing it. It's really odd. Blizzard employs like a gazillion localization staff to ensure their services and content are in as many languages as possible for an international audience. Valve can't do the same?

collige

Banned
I remember hearing some drama about the translation thing and it reflected really poorly on Valve. This woman being one of the employees that got fired as part of that debacle would line up with what I've read. It really seems like Valve HR/higher ups were ignorant or apathethic to some really ugly shit and sided with the wrong person.

After examining the docs, it looks like it's gonna be a drawn-out fight between the two. Valve's asserting of 14 affirmative defenses means there's going to be a bunch of pre-trial activities and discovery costs aimed to bleed out the plaintiff's war chest. If the attorney is working on contingency, he wouldn't have done so if he didn't feel fairly confident in defeating some of those defenses - but Valve's counsel is gonna make him work for it. Likelihood of this progressing to trial is low - the parties will eventually settle and it will likely be forgotten about when they do (it's probably 1.5 to 2 years away, minimum, unless the plaintiff is willing to lowball his/her damages in negotiations).

Also, here's the attorney's website: http://www.bigginslaw.com/

Portugeezer

Whats with the victim blaming squad? surely wait for some decent details.

There are companies that pull this shit all the time on employees who are unable to defend themselves, not that I am saying what has been said is incorrect.
It's healthy to be skeptical, unless this is someone you know personally. I don't, so I can take the wait and see approach and not just assume what is being said is true. I have my personally beliefs; there probably was someone that referred to her as "it" but I just think this because it still happens a lot in the real world. I have no way to confirm this inclination so I'm not going to shit on Valve just yet. Is this victim blaming? Well, for that to be true it would require a lot of assumptions I am not willing to make.

Linkark07

Banned
You know, I've never really paid attention to this localization problem with Valve. I always assumed they contracted the work rather than fansourcing it. It's really odd. Blizzard employs like a gazillion localization staff to ensure their services and content are in as many languages as possible for an international audience. Valve can't do the same?

If Valve can't get a good customer support service, why do you expect they would do the same for translations?

Oh now that I'm looking at the second link, it seems that the OP deleted the post. But I do have a copy of it, I don't know if I should(or can) post it. Reading it again it does seem that the Spanish language admin that was fired is the same that is suing Valve.

Wallach

can't is very obviously not true, which immediately informs that there is at least one dipshit there making bad decisions

This sort of thing is exactly where the deep-seated problems with Valve's organizational structure become truly clear. When Valve says they "don't have hierarchy," what it means in practice is that there are supervisors with the ability to offer arbitrary promises to employees or external people which the company will not back up or guarantee, and that when someone engages in wildly inappropriate behavior there's no structure to look to that can remedy it. The details of this case are particularly offensive, but it's just an amplified version of what we've heard from other ex-Valve employees: that there's a layer of omnipresent political bullshit that means everyone there needs to ingratiate themselves with an arbitrary set of people or else get muscled out and face mistreatment.

I guess Valve being "the best place to work in the industry" (as per employee survey) only applies to its developers. So much for the utopian dream.

If Valve was ever the "best place to work" it was quite a while ago.

LordRaptor

Can't find the post I'm thinking about, but for now have this.

Uhhhhh.... whats supposed to be the problem with that screenshot?

Extinguish = Ceasing to make games and rolling in their 30% cut of all money that goes through Steam, whilst being too big for any other services to compete with.

Uhhhhh... how exactly is that "extinguishing"?
Nobody else offers a service that even offers feature parity, let alone superiority to Steam.
That's on the people not doing better, not on Steam to make things easy for them, and as a consumer I sure as shit don't want Steam to suddenly adopt all sorts of shitty policies just to give 'the other guys' a fighting chance.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Valve wont pay for customer service or market overwatch. Guess translation is another thing they will either cut costs on or that is too beneath them to hire people for.

mephixto

Banned

Yep, after reading the papers on the polygon article is the same guy that the post on reddit were complaining about. Torsten Zabka.

Its Valve

They have trouble setting up a customer service team and try to automate as much as possible. Im sure theyd automate translation if possible.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/24/11761242/valve-former-employee-lawsuit-transgender-discrimination

More at the link. There are two main issues in the complaint. One is that she feels that her supervisor was creating a hostile work environment by referring to her as "it", and that him not being comfortable with her gender resassignment contributed to her termination. The other is that she complained about Valve exploiting free labor for localization work, and she feels that was the main contributing factor to her termination.

Valve has not responded publicly to the reports, but they deny all charges in the lawsuit.

wow that's just disgusting. She's a woman now, so fucking call her that way. I hope she finds a better place to work at...

I don't get why it's so hard for people to accept others changing their gender and being relieved from the pain of having to live in a body that must feel like hell for them.

Aselith

I don't think there's any way for us to know much about the discrimination at this point, but the translation thing always did kind of rub me the wrong way. If you've got a skill, and you're contributing value to a company by using that skill, you should probably be paid to do it.

You mean like paid mods? (that the community rebelled against)

Edit: Oh nm I misunderstood so it's not community translation projects but an actual employee. Ok, yeah that's fucked

Because Blizzard actually tries to sell products. Valve? Nope. Just look at their customer service.

Discrimination will never make sense to me. Why the fuck are you so interested in someone else's affairs? How does that have one single thing to do with the work you're tasked with? Shake my fucking head every time I hear this shit. Fucking ignorant shits, the people that practice hatred.

I've seen first-hand racism, sexism, discrimination and harassment in the workplace so I know it happens. I've also been the subject of it so I know from first hand how it can affect one's well being.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
While these allegations are not sounding good, we should wait for more information before drawing a conclusion about Valve's culture.

Their non-paid translation scheme is not so good, by any measure.

Why should we wait?

Dante

Seems like this company has a lot of shitty practices, but hey! They made a cool handbook making it look like a utopia.......right?

duckroll

You mean like paid mods? (that the community rebelled against)

The real issue was not that there were paid mods. The issue was that they implemented it in the worst possible way without wanting to invest in proper oversight and management. Implementing paid mods into a game which has had free mods for a long time and not having the infrastructure and support manpower to handle ownership disputes resulted in that clusterfuck. They didn't pull it because "the community didn't want paid mods", they pulled it because once again when Valve had to choose between actually managing something or not having it at all, they picked the latter. What they want is automation and communities moderating themselves. A world where they don't have to do any of that "unproductive" work.

Yogg

So is the lawsuit about the discrimination, or about the unpaid translators, or both ? Is it possible to combine completely separated accusations in a single lawsuit in the US ? And if not, why is the unpaid translators aspect even in there ?

FartOfWar

Banned
Whats with the victim blaming squad? surely wait for some decent details.

There are companies that pull this shit all the time on employees who are unable to defend themselves, not that I am saying what has been said is incorrect.

It hasn't been determined that there is a victim yet. Just as companies have discriminated against employees, there are also individuals who have falsely accused others. There are also incidents in which both parties admit to mutual misunderstandings. The existence of these episodes tells us nothing about the truth in this instance.

Neither of those things magically make it a good work environment. Also 'work on what you want' smacks of completely bullshit like Google's 20% rule.

It's possible to have rules like this that are real. Google's 20% time, in fact, was once treated as an HR rule, which meant that people had to track it and managers could get in trouble if they tried to keep employees from taking it. It's only later when it became a "suggestion" that it stopped being real.

Similarly, I think "you can work on whatever you want" is actually a pretty achievable policy at a company like Valve, it's just that you can only get there by actually having a strong HR department that enforces the policy and provides support to help it work.

Kinda weird how the "bad guys" of PC gaming, EA, are probably the most progressive publishers around, whilst our "glorious lord and savior" Gaben and Valve seem to have a lot of right-wing leaning to them.

Think about who on the internet is actually responsible for "lord gaben" and gems like "PC master race" and this won't seem so weird.

While these allegations are not sounding good, we should wait for more information before drawing a conclusion about Valve's culture.

Everything here lines up with the picture we've gotten over years and reports of 10+ former Valve employees. The correct conclusion to draw about Valve's culture was negative before this story, this just speaks to how significant the problem is.

Jotaka

Didn't this whole translation problem blew up a few months ago? I'm sure I've read about it somewhere about how members of the italian(?) translation team got angry at a Valve employee that promised them things, and that their senior translator got fired, because she supported the translation team, which apparently is the same employee suing Valve right now?

I'm almost sure this had a thread here at Neogaf.

I knew I've read about that somewhere.

Yeah I remember this shit... I never got a good vibe from Valve after steam got big.

Huh, didn't realize there was more to the story than the transgender discrimination (which is bad enough). Not paying employed translators is terrible.

You see people, Valve is all about being efficient. And it's more efficient to... not pay anything to translators (because fanboys will be fanboys) than actually paying up translators!

Compsiox

Banned
Lets keep in mind that the discriminating supervisor is a single person. Not the company.

Also stinks to hear that they could be taking advantage of fans like that.

skynidas

Banned
Sooo, nobody in this thread has said it. Why 3.1 million dollars? Even if the allegations are true, which I doubt knowing how the working environment is in Valve, why ask for 3.1 MILLION dollars?

Top Bottom