• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Valve employee seeks $3.1M in transgender discrimination suit

Sooo, nobody in this thread has said it. Why 3.1 million dollars? Even if the allegations are true, which I doubt knowing how the working environment is in Valve, why ask for 3.1 MILLION dollars?

Because when you ask for $25k then you won't realistically be able to settle for more than $25k.

I
Think about who on the internet is actually responsible for "lord gaben" and gems like "PC master race" and this won't seem so weird.

Everything here lines up with the picture we've gotten over years and reports of 10+ former Valve employees. The correct conclusion to draw about Valve's culture was negative before this story, this just speaks to how significant the problem is.

Yup to both of these points.

Pepboy

The whole unpaid translation thing is some serious BS. I know we had a thread on this earlier in the year, but it really irks me that Valve doesn't compensate people for their hard work in translating their games. That said, the discrimination is also awful and should be dealt with strongly.

Was there any discrimination though? Sounds like they were pretty flexible in terms of the operation, letting her work remotely for a while. I don't even get how the manager would be uncomfortable with a remote worker who you don't see. Sounds more like she complained about unpaid translations (fighting the good fight) and valve fired her for that. Valve doesn't come out looking great but it seems to be more about firing a remote worker who complains about company policies.

sflufan

Banned
Sooo, nobody in this thread has said it. Why 3.1 million dollars? Even if the allegations are true, which I doubt knowing how the working environment is in Valve, why ask for 3.1 MILLION dollars?

So, you're saying that she should be asking for more (which she should be!).

You see, because this will probably never see the light of day in a court room, you start at a number like that and then work your way down as part of the settlement negotiation.

This is how business gets done!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Whats with the victim blaming squad? surely wait for some decent details.

There are companies that pull this shit all the time on employees who are unable to defend themselves, not that I am saying what has been said is incorrect.

I believe this is a response, showing another common reason that lawsuits are brought to bear, to the first couple in this thread. It's is not uncommon of NeoGAF OT threads about abuse or discrimination, where posters are already passing judgement based only on a accusation that the accused is guilty; instead of assuming the accused should be presumed innocent and deserve their day in court. However, someone would have to ask the original poster to clarify.

Jarate

Banned
Why should we wait?

you know, for things like evidence, and facts to be shown to us instead of a discrimination suit that literally is single sided on purpose by her lawyer in an attempt to make her side look like the truth.

I mean, it's terrible if what happened to her actually happened to her, but people are fine to wait for more evidence before getting their pitchforks.

How does suggesting she made up the story for money work into your "wait for more details" plan?

Sounded more like he implied that it does happen rather than it was what was definitely going on in this specific case. I don't care for the pitchfork mentality in either direction. Especially with so little information.

Yogg

Right in the first page: The suit is seeking $1 million for general damages, $1 million for special damages, $150,000 for unpaid wages and penalties, and $1 million for loss of earnings.

Gestault

In a wrongful termination suit overlapping with a discrimination suit? That doesn't seem like a crazy amount to me.

zoozilla

Aren't discrimination suits really hard to win?

And does combining the discrimination part with the translating part hurt the case's chances? (I guess if she's going for an eventual settlement this only matters in so far as it could affect how large the settlement is?)

Koyuga

We'll see if it's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. Video game aren't exactly the best field to work in if you're a woman or LGBT.

KissVibes

Banned
You know, I've never really paid attention to this localization problem with Valve. I always assumed they contracted the work rather than fansourcing it. It's really odd. Blizzard employs like a gazillion localization staff to ensure their services and content are in as many languages as possible for an international audience. Valve can't do the same?

Why do that if you can get it done for free?

Nzyme32

Founa a reddit thread that summarize the whole problem with the translation tems at Valve.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/45glk9/drama_erupts_on_rsteam_as_valves_treatment_of/

I mentioned this in the other thread - glad it is going to eventually get legal justice, but all we have had chance to hear is a very one sided story (pretty typical since Valve don't talk), so this should be interesting to see where it goes. Unfair dismissal and discrimination obviously need to be fought, and if Valve is in the wrong they should face a heavy price. However, they deny all the claims and ask for dismissal - so it begs the questions, what happened and what are the proper reasonings and story behind the dismissal, as well as whether it is specific to the employee that is centred in the drama (the supervisor) or more endemic within Valve or sheer ignorance.

Also hilarious to see the usual guilty verdict before we know all the story or even seen it go to court yet. Typical with these platform centric things.

Rockk

I'm guessing like most cases a settlement will be reached and we'll never know the whole truth. Too early to judge.

Noirulus

It's hard not to be a bit cynical when you see such a ridiculous sum being requested for a discrimination case. I get that it's such a high amount in order to settle for a smaller amount but 3 million is still absurd.

RMI

Banned
Lets keep in mind that the supposedly discriminating supervisor is a single person. Not the company.

came here to post this. Any company can have assholes working in it, and typically they're spineless cowards who are only assholes to the people below them so it is easy for their behavior to go unpunished until somebody complains. Hopefully that supervisor gets what is coming to them.

complaining to human resources should solve problems like this before they turn into huge garbage fires, but in this case it didn't.

Lets keep in mind that the discriminating supervisor is a single person. Not the company.

Also stinks to hear that they could be taking advantage of fans like that.

The thing is that the in the accusation, it heavily implies that company fosters these sort of discriminatory attitudes.

And that's not ok.

Koyuga

Lets keep in mind that the supposedly discriminating supervisor is a single person. Not the company.

Even so, the company should be focused on weeding out this kind of behavior and removing it. If they had been successful at doing that already, there would be no lawsuit.

Yogg

New page so I'll ask again, why are the discrimination factor and the unpaid translators factor bundled in a single issue here? Those are completely separate. Is the lawsuit also about the translators or is that just added flavor to the topic?

Kinda weird how the "bad guys" of PC gaming, EA, are probably the most progressive publishers around, whilst our "glorious lord and savior" Gaben and Valve seem to have a lot of right-wing leaning to them.

EA really gets a bad rap.

Their PC ports are consistently good, Origin is a well-designed client (as much as I'd rather not have to use it at all), and they've released a lot of good titles.

They have problems but so do all the major publishers. That isn't to say I condone some of EA's practices, but I'm not sure why they're always singled out. I think that EA hate has unfortunately become something of a meme.

Nzyme32

You know, I've never really paid attention to this localization problem with Valve. I always assumed they contracted the work rather than fansourcing it. It's really odd. Blizzard employs like a gazillion localization staff to ensure their services and content are in as many languages as possible for an international audience. Valve can't do the same?

Yep another weird Valve method. It's a common practise, but at Valve's scale, it really shouldn't be. From the reddit discussion about it last time, it appears to centre around that particular employee's supervising and organising of a token incentive system, that the others didn't use - but again is a problem with Valve giving little to no oversight in these things, from what we know at least

Compsiox

Banned
Even so, the company should be focused on weeding out this kind of behavior and removing it. If they had been successful at doing that already, there would be no lawsuit.

Notice she never complained to anyone else at Valve about the discrimination. Only about the translation thing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't see her winning the wrongful termination suit, with her in a contractor position it likely didn't give her much protection from the contract being terminated. She could have a good case for workplace harassment/discrimination if she is able to prove it to some degree.

- J - D -

Lets keep in mind that the discriminating supervisor is a single person. Not the company.

came here to post this. Any company can have assholes working in it, and typically they're spineless cowards who are only assholes to the people below them so it is easy for their behavior to go unpunished until somebody complains. Hopefully that supervisor gets what is coming to them.

complaining to human resources should solve problems like this before they turn into huge garbage fires, but in this case it didn't.

It still may be indicative of a larger, more deeply rooted issue with Valve, that this is an example of a natural result of their structure-less operation. Valve even admitted that things like this can result from a poor hiring decision that goes unfettered for too long.

Discarding weak links. Because there’s no hierarchical structure, Valve admits that “a poor hiring decision can cause lots of damage, and can sometimes go unchecked for too long.” But the company adds, “Ultimately, people who cause damage always get weeded out.” The handbook also admits that the lack of structure makes it hard for people to develop mentors.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-04-25/what-makes-valve-software-the-best-office-ever

So I guess time will tell if this is just an isolated occurrence or if its the prevailing culture there. It's a system that sounds rife for abuse.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Not familiar with the American legal system or common practices are you? If there was ever a system in need of tort reform, it would be the American one.

mephixto

Banned
Kinda weird how the "bad guys" of PC gaming, EA, are probably the most progressive publishers around, whilst our "glorious lord and savior" Gaben and Valve seem to have a lot of right-wing leaning to them.

EA and the rest of big companies probably have the same kind of troubles too, the difference is that they have gigantic legal and HR deparmets with all kind of NDA deals to avoid this kind of suits.

skynidas

Banned
Right in the first page: The suit is seeking $1 million for general damages, $1 million for special damages, $150,000 for unpaid wages and penalties, and $1 million for loss of earnings.

i read that. it's a ridiculous amount of money. 2 millions dollars for general damages + special damages? don't be fucking ridiculous, this shit only got out because it is a sensitive subject but this "lawsuit" is going nowhere

Nzyme32

I'm guessing like most cases a settlement will be reached and we'll never know the whole truth. Too early to judge.

Assuming a settlement, you could at least infer that Valve know they were wrong. However at this point Valve deny it all, so that doesn't look likely.

It always kind of bothered me when for profit companies asked for volunteers to work on portions of their non libre game. (same thing kind of happened with Skullgirls Linux port)

I view this the same as Kickstarter to be honest. If you wanna risk your money as if it were equity in a startup with none of the upside, more power to you. If you wanna give away your time and skill I won't be the one to stop you.

Why would Valve pay for translator if they can get people to do it for free (though I'm guessing they'll still need professionals to check the stuff. I'm sensing that with free translations, you get what you pay for).

Sounds really terrible, but why $3 million? That's crazy!

I understand lost wages, and unpaid wages, but holy crap!

Makes me want a lawsuit for myself.

Price aside, I'll wait for further details before I pass judgment.

shootfast

She actually has almost zero chance of winning
Washington is an "at will" employment state. As such, at-will employees can be terminated for any reason, except reasons that are deemed to be illegal, such as on the basis of race, nationality or sexual orientation, or because the employee refuses to break a law.
, guess which state valve is located.

FartOfWar

Banned

How do we know you're guilty as charged? Because you've been charged. You wouldn't have been charged unless you were guilty.

Compsiox

Banned
How do we know you're guilty as charged? Because you've been charged. You wouldn't have been charged unless you were guilty.

Also notice she never complained to anyone else at Valve about the discrimination. Only about the translation thing.

LordRaptor

Think about who on the internet is actually responsible for "lord gaben" and gems like "PC master race" and this won't seem so weird.

What sort of argument is this? Shitheads on the internet love Gabe Newell, so Gabe Newell must also be a shithead?
Because I don't think Kaz Hirai, Phil Spencer or Reggie Fils-Aimee are cunts because I've encountered cunts using their faces as avatars online.

The only 'evidence' I've seen in this thread of Valves supposed 'right wing tendencies' is a screenshot of someone from Valve saying that Avatars aren't the only thing that can be offensive, which isn't so much 'right wing' as 'glaringly self-evident'

Mihos

Gold Member

Its a little excessive. Probably just a bargaining chip for settlement.

EA and the rest of big companies probably have the same kind of troubles too, the difference is that they have gigantic legal and HR deparmets with all kind of NDA deals to avoid this kind of suits.

EA"s fairly consistently ranked as one of the best places to work in the industry as far as LGBT issues go.

FartOfWar

Banned
Also notice she never complained to anyone else at Valve about the discrimination. Only about the translation thing.

I'm not even going to speculate. She may well be right on every count. The point is that no one knows, and yet nearly everyone is assuming guilt. If some of the people in this thread end up in legal careers we'll all wind up on guillotines.

duckroll

She actually has almost zero chance of winning , guess which state valve is located.

She is suing them in LA, because that's where she was working from as an "Independent Contractor" after Valve changed her employment status when she needed to work from LA.

Boke1879

Unfortunately complaining to Human Resources rarely does anything. If anything most HR places seem to be there to keep management around.

Aselith

She actually has almost zero chance of winning , guess which state valve is located.

Well, the sexual orientation proviso should apply here at least for part of the complaint and retaliatory firing may be exempted as well depending on how the law is applied.

Top Bottom