• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

Sky Sports F1 will be broadcasting Porsche Supercup live from Monaco onwards with Nicholls commentating.

This might just make me watch it.

Razgreez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp5luMfQyOY

The look that Hulk gave Jenson after he said that was incredible. :D (fast forward to 0:35)

lol

someone should screencap it

mEqT7NH.png

FREAKING THURSDAY SESSIONS. Screw you, lazy rich people.
Let's hope Danny's pit crew don't fuck him over this year.
By the laws of Monaco, Ricciardo will win this year after his pit crew screwed him, just as Hamilton did in 2015-16. Ferrari has done a great job screwing Vettel already this year, so let's see if they can manage to ruin his race this weekend. Naturally that hands the 2018 win to him. There are going to be so many safety cars they'll have ample opportunity! Anticipating half the field will bin their cars with how fast they are this year.

Mastah

Lance "8th in Macau" Stroll won Macau GP according to Crofty. Proper research there from our favourite commentator.

Bottas is casually rolling around on SSofts and is already good enough for what would have been P8 on last year's grid. Track looks absolutely fantastic.

Hamilton just went 2 tenths faster than last year's pole. In FP1.
Why does Haas have a new livery?
Unknown. The official PR reason was extremely vague. It's for the rest of the season, too. I don't dislike it (and it still looks unique among the grid) but I did like the old scheme.

RSP

I don't understand how some cars can do large amounts of laps while others spend most of FP1 in the garage. Could it just be that they are THAT much off from their initial setup for the track that they need to waste the practice adjusting the car?

I don't understand how some cars can do large amounts of laps while others spend most of FP1 in the garage. Could it just be that they are THAT much off from their initial setup for the track that they need to waste the practice adjusting the car?
The way the tyre allocations for race weekends work, their hands are sorta tied on how much they can run in FP1. They could do more but it would eat into how much they could go out in future sessions. They actually changed the rules several years ago to require 1 set be turned in after FP1 to encourage cars to run. For that reason, it's rare for anyone to use more than that 1 set .

And yes, it's also entirely possible they're not remotely content with their setups. This is a lot of running for a FP1 from everyone, actually.

Edit: There's also the matter of trying to save wear on engine components, but Monaco is a low demand track so that shouldn't come up here much.

John_B

The Merc doesn't seem that bad around Monaco.

The barriers are taking a serious pounding. The safety car will be busy this weekend.

Zaru

Perez just brushed the wall just like Kimi. Those extra few centimeters are really hard to get used to after almost two decades of narrow cars.

RSP

The way the tyre allocations for race weekends work, their hands are sorta tied on how much they can run in FP1. They could do more but it would eat into how much they could go out in future sessions. They actually changed the rules several years ago to require 1 set be turned in after FP1 to encourage cars to run. For that reason, it's rare for anyone to use more than that 1 set .

And yes, it's also entirely possible they're not remotely content with their setups. This is a lot of running for a FP1 from everyone, actually.

Edit: There's also the matter of trying to save wear on engine components, but Monaco is a low demand track so that shouldn't come up here much.

Ah, right. I did not know that. I'm curious to see if Liberty Media will change the way practices are done. In a way you would imagine that stretching the practice time even further would allow for more on-screen exposure for drivers or brands. It's now condensed in two 90-minute windows with not much to do in between.

Ah, right. I did not know that. I'm curious to see if Liberty Media will change the way practices are done. In a way you would imagine that stretching the practice time even further would allow for more on-screen exposure for drivers or brands. It's now condensed in two 90-minute windows with not much to do in between.
Liberty has no control over stuff like tyres, transmissions and engine allocations; That's all via the FIA. That's not to say they couldn't pressure the teams into pressuring the FIA. Practice is a gigantic cost-benefit analysis. Teams want to use the cars as little as possible while still gathering as much data as possible. You could give them unlimited tyres with massively long sessions and that wouldn't mean they'd run more. Also, at European race weekends, there's an absolutely massive number of support races that take up almost 100% of the time between (and before... and after) the F1 sessions. There have been a few suggestions the past few years to turn the Thursdays into open practice for reserve/test drivers but nothing's come of it. Oh, right, and lowering the number of practice is a cost-saving measure.

TLDR; This stuff is ridiculously complicated. F1's rules and regulations are a bureaucracy with no other sporting equal.

With what they do have control of, Liberty has done a fantastic job so far this year.

KdotIX

Crofty making a controversial hard-lining opinion, defending Jolyon Palmer and his race-craft, then cries when people try to point out he's wrong and says "I'm being bullied by the internet" hahaha

kiyomi

Crofty making a controversial hard-lining opinion, defending Jolyon Palmer and his race-craft, then cries when people try to point out he's wrong and says "I'm being bullied by the internet" hahaha

Trolls really shouldn't be given a microphone

Spades

Crofty is such a cunt - cannot stand him. Main reason I watch C4's coverage wherever possible. Although this weekend I am visiting a friend who has Sky 4K, so am looking forward to checking out how good Monaco can look.

John_B

Kimi once again can't keep up.
I seriously doubt Raikkonen will win a race this season. He can beat Vettel and Hamilton when they have a total shit weekend but when will they both have that? Then he also has to overcome Bottas, and soon enough the Bulls will be a threat as well.

I think Ferrari should seriously consider a Perez, Grosjean or Hulkenberg for next season. They could loose the constructors this year just from Raikkonen being the worst of the front runners most of the time.

We all love Raikkonen but his performance has unfortunately taken a dive at this late stage of his career.

Mastah

John_B

Is Webber's book a good read?
The early part of the book describing how Mark got into F1 is the highlight. The Red Bull area stuff has some interesting insights into the personalities of Horner and Vettel. Ultimately it felt to me like it was too busy with pointing fingers.

Not the most technical or exciting writing, but a decent read if you cared about Webber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom