• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Formula E is barely on TV and where it is, nobody watches it. If publicity is your worry, a top 4 F1 team is way better than a winning FE team.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Formula E is barely on TV and where it is, nobody watches it. If publicity is your worry, a top 4 F1 team is way better than a winning FE team.

That 10M GBP is a drop in a F1 team's budget. The gamble is that electric cars will become more popular, and that electric car racing will be a good way to drive development, publicity, and ultimately, sales.

Jezbollah

The problem with Formula E, the way the cars look, the way they perform, and the tracks they race on, makes it easy to be unappreciated by those who really have no idea why they are as is, and those that are used to seeing "their" perception of what is a race car.

It's the only race series I can think of that is hindered by it's technology, and in such a big way at that.

DBT85

Red Bull whine and complain more than children. Leave or don't but stop fucking whining. I love RIC but the team is easy to dislike.
Yep.

Ferrari almost have a legit thing going on as they've been in the sport so long and done do much. If thet go it really would be a bug deal.

Red Bull on the other hand. Byebitch.jif

Zaru

Yep.

Ferrari almost have a legit thing going on as they've been in the sport so long and done do much. If thet go it really would be a bug deal.

Red Bull on the other hand. Byebitch.jif

I mean... they don't have the kind of historical value of Ferrari, but they're still directly responsible for two teams, a quarter of the drivers (if you include Vettel) and 4 of the last 7 championship titles. Not to forget that RB is always promoting the sports it's taking part in. It's not like they're Force India.

DBT85

I mean... they don't have the kind of historical value of Ferrari, but they're still directly responsible for two teams, a quarter of the drivers (if you include Vettel) and 4 of the last 7 championship titles. Not to forget that RB is always promoting the sports it's taking part in. It's not like they're Force India.

No team should be bigger than the sport, even more so a team that's not really been around that long in F1 terms. Crying that you'l leave to get your own way isn't the right way to get things done and I'm more than a little tired of Snivellus Horner and Mad Marko.

Yeah, they've won 4 of the last 7, but at what point do you stop using that as a bargaining chip? 4 of the last 10? 4 of the last 15?

acm2000

in what other corrupt sports does a team get tens of millions of pounds just for existing?

its time to drop the historical importance bullshittery and level the playing field more to allow closer competition

Hasegawa says their scrapped and binned update could be introduced in Canada, but it's tight time wise, they've done no fine tuning for the mappings, will know on Thursday.

So they're taking it to Canada, but will only use it if Ricardo deliver the software in time 🙏

Brundle 😂

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Lol, Will Power just left his teammate Simon Pagenaud out to dry. For those wondering, Esteban Gutierrez is currently running 19th out of 22 cars.

FrankCanada97

It's always nice to to see the smaller teams stick it to Ganassi and Penske. Gutierrez finished 19th.

Anyways, speaking of Marko Helmut, he is apparently not very impressed with the current Red Bull Junior Team because they aren't progressing at the level that Max Verstappen did:
http://www.f1i.com/infos/marko-sceptique-red-bull-junior-team-2017/

Roughly translated:
Max Verstappen is the pride of the Red Bull Junior Team. Beginning in F1 at only 17 years old in 2015, the Dutchman quickly became the darling of the paddock.

But Helmut Marko is bewildered: at the moment, no member of the red bull branch has approached the heels of the Batavian prodigy.

In addition to Pierre Gasly, Niko Kari, Richard Verschoor, Dan Ticktum and Neil Verhagen make up the 2017 selection.

"None of our new recruits is as talented as Max," said Helmut, "Finn Niko Kari is a GP3 player, and I'm sure he will get faster and faster over the course of the seasons. "

"We can also count on Neil Verhagen who is an American," said the Austrian, "but he needs time to get to the level of the European drivers. The level of competition of the promotional formulas in the United States is not at all The same as in Europe, so making a comparison between Neil and his colleagues is useless."

And Marko concluded: "Richard Verschoor was F4 champion last year, but his performance is disappointing this season, and finally, Dan Ticktum lacks regularity in the race."

Ticktum, Verschoor and Verhagen are all engaged in Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0. At the moment, it is the British who fared best with an eighth place in the provisional classification, just ahead of Verschoor. Verhagen is twelfth. Beginning of season to forget on the other hand for Niko Kari who has not yet scored points in GP3.

I don't know why Marko decided to air these opinions publicly, but it's not like the Red Bull Junior Team is a haven for stability. It's like a revolving door over there, with many stories of what could've been for many drivers.

And I do apologize for the triple post, I didn't realize the thread would be this dead at this time of the week.

Grug

I'm still relatively new to F1 compared to some people here and have a lot of blind spots still.

Anyone able to recommend some documentaries and/or youtube videos about F1 history, the technical stuff, life as a driver or from inside a team etc?

Senna is the only one I've seen.

DBT85

I'm still relatively new to F1 compared to some people here and have a lot

Anyone able to recommend some documentaries and/or youtube videos about F1 history, the technical stuff, life as a driver or from inside a team etc?

I refer the hon gentleman to one of my much earlier posts

No problem at all! Anything we can do to encourage new fans in our little group!

Just again, that Grand Prix Killer Years doco is
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14el38_grand-prix-the-killer-years-documentary_auto
This is all about the safety in the sport, or moreover, the entire lack of it for decades.

There are also some other interesting but not F1 related docos that I really recommend.

Madness on Wheels - All about the 1980s "Group B" phase of rally driving where teams were making utterly insane cars thanks to deregulation, people were getting killed etc.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xty1w4_bbc-madness-on-wheels-rallying-s-craziest-years_shortfilms

The Deadliest Crash
- All about the biggest disaster ever in motorsport history at Le Mans in 1955.This one incident led to Mercedes-Benz pulling out of motor racing until 1989.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlq9ml_the-deadliest-crash-the-le-mans-1955-disaster_auto

Also, look for the film Rush. Its about the 1976 F1 season and the title fight between Niki "Elderly Fan" Lauda and James "The Shunt" Hunt.

Enjoy!

Fox Mulder

I'm still relatively new to F1 compared to some people here and have a lot of blind spots still.

Most of the historical documentaries seem to be about death really.

FrankCanada97

Watching race 2 of the Detroit IndyCar race now. I know there's been talk of introducing sprint and feature races in F1, but what about the idea of two full length races in one race weekend?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Watching Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix. My man Sato is in charge. 🇯🇵

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Watching race 2 of the Detroit IndyCar race now. I know there's been talk of introducing sprint and feature races in F1, but what about the idea of two full length races in one race weekend?

If you trash a car in race 1 that might be an issue, but I like the idea.

I'd also like to see a short race with 3rd drivers.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Why is F1 primarily made up of Hondas and Chevys? Where's Toyota, Ferrari, Ford, etc?

Zaru

Well you might as well just read the wiki article on Indy's engine side.

Basically, most engine manufacturers gave up along the way or after the whole CART thing which got merged back into Indy. Ferrari never actually participated, I think. They built a prototype for CART but it never raced.

Randdalf

Found this pretty cool video on accident when trying to find videos of Hockenheim before its redesign. It's the coverage of the 2001 German Grand Prix - the last year with the old layout - but without any of the commentary, just the background noise from the feed.

If you've never seen this race before (I haven't), there's a nice surprise after the start - something that would never happen nowadays.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hboqt

Shaneus

Found this pretty cool video on accident when trying to find videos of Hockenheim before its redesign. It's the coverage of the 2001 German Grand Prix - the last year with the old layout - but without any of the commentary, just the background noise from the feed.

If you've never seen this race before (I haven't), there's a nice surprise after the start - something that would never happen nowadays.

I fucking love any and all racing videos that have zero commentary on them. My favourite is a video taken at Sebring of footage from around and on the track, and it's just completely zen and awesome.

Gonna check out the other videos on that site too, hopefully they're all the same.

When I saw Schumi start sprinting towards the Ferrari pits, I was like:
"Wait, what is he doing?"
"Is there an backup car ready?"
"OF COURSE THERE IS! It was 2001 nobody gave a shit."

Oh how I miss old F1.

Bonus points for Fernando starting from the pits. Some things never change.

That's before I followed the sport... You could have an entire damn backup CAR, waiting to be used in the event you wrecked? The hell? Plus, you got to roll out of pit lane during a red flag to get a lap back! Worse, this after he botched the start and CAUSED said red flag! Didn't know the old layout existed until 2001 though.

Oh, and they restarted for the full distance despite turning 2 laps? Interesting. Hah, oh god, and MSchu got to restart on the lead lap... and is in third at the end of the first lap. This is exactly the sort of "fuck, I hate it when Ferrari gets away with technically legal shit that's absolutely infuriating and makes no sense pretty much just because they're Ferrari" that soured me on them for so long.

Zaru

That's before I followed the sport... You could have an entire damn backup CAR, waiting to be used in the event you wrecked? The hell? Plus, you got to roll out of pit lane during a red flag to get a lap back! Worse, this after he botched the start and CAUSED said red flag! Didn't know the old layout existed until 2001 though.

Oh, and they restarted for the full distance despite turning 2 laps? Interesting. Hah, oh god, and MSchu got to restart on the lead lap... and is in third at the end of the first lap. This is exactly the sort of "fuck, I hate it when Ferrari gets away with technically legal shit that's absolutely infuriating and makes no sense pretty much just because they're Ferrari" that soured me on them for so long.

What's funny is that Schumacher retired halfway through the race anyway, like the universe correcting itself.

RO.jpg

Doesn't look that bad, I bet he could still put that scrub Palmer to shame.

xrnzaaas

My hands are also thin so it doesn't look band to me. ;) Robert's biggest problem is not being able to rotate his arm in a way an F1 car demands it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom