• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Business

While it's definitely a lot of money (dat Ferrari money), it also means he's not going to win another championship for the next 3 years in his career. It's kind of a tough decision.

The alternative is only Hamilton retiring and Mercedes hiring him, which seems unlikely. Won 4 years in RBR with Mark Webber, lost to Ricciardo and the open spot in Ferrari alongside Kimi was godsent. He is in a perfect position, prestigious team, doesn't really need to win because Ferrari hasn't win anything since forever, has a weak team mate, and has already 4 world championships himself. He should be begging for an extension.

I really don't see what else he can do than extend with Ferrari. Unless he knows sth. about Hamilton (retiring) that we don't. There is no other team out there that has a good shot at winning the WC, except for Merc and Ferrari. Plus I doubt Merc would wanna have Vettel and Hamilton in the same team. Bottas is a perfect fit for them right now. Well, maybe he is already too strong actually, as he might "steal" a couple points from Ham here and there.

dl77

I really don't see what else he can do than extend with Ferrari. Unless he knows sth. about Hamilton (retiring) that we don't. There is no other team out there that has a good shot at winning the WC, except for Merc and Ferrari. Plus I doubt Merc would wanna have Vettel and Hamilton in the same team. Bottas is a perfect fit for them right now. Well, maybe he is already too strong actually, as he might "steal" a couple points from Ham here and there.

I guess the only alternative is to try and emulate Schumacher who went to a pretty terrible team (Ferrari) and helped build them into the all-trouncing outfit they became. Would he do that though? He doesn't strike me as the type of person who'd willingly suck up the pain of the first few years. As much as there was to dislike about Schumacher you can't deny he built a great set of people around himself and kept any issues inside the team. Vettel openly complains if a backmarker doesn't automatically leap out of his way!

- Alonso retired from British GP because fuel pipe damaged / fell off pump / leaking fuel

- With recent updates power gap to the top now at Abu Dhabi 2016 level / 50-60bhp

- Honda sporting directer met with Sauber in Switzerland after Austrian GP, had a verbal tussle with the new owners after they made demands to change terms of contract / Honda will pull the plug if they don't stick to the originally agreed terms.

The alternative is only Hamilton retiring and Mercedes hiring him, which seems unlikely. Won 4 years in RBR with Mark Webber, lost to Ricciardo and the open spot in Ferrari alongside Kimi was godsent. He is in a perfect position, prestigious team, doesn't really need to win because Ferrari hasn't win anything since forever, has a weak team mate, and has already 4 world championships himself. He should be begging for an extension.

He doesn't want to make the same mistake Alonso did and waste his prime at a subpar team, coming in second at best and then being left with even worse teams like McLaren. Vettel is all about breaking records and it must hurt him quite a bit to see Hamilton getting some he could've had. Which is why the previous rumors stated that he doesn't want to commit to Ferrari and just wants an extension for another year + option. Toto Wolff basically confirmed Bottas for at least another year, while being cagey about anything past that. This kinda supports the speculation that Vettel wants a Mercedes seat by 2019 and they're in negotiations. As for Lewis, he just said that he had another 5-6 years of racing in him and has no intentions to switch to Ferrari.

But he will win one this year ��

But he won't. :(

John_B

Vettel is committed to the Schumacher playbook. A team dedicated to him, advantages written into the contract and a "supportive" teammate. He's surely not leaving Ferrari and they will let him have Raikkonen for a few more seasons.

Vettel is committed to the Schumacher playbook. A team dedicated to him, advantages written into the contract and a "supportive" teammate. He's surely not leaving Ferrari and they will let him have Raikkonen for a few more seasons.

It's the Ferrari way but it's crap to see one of the 4 cars capable of winning the championship constantly sacrificed for the other or given to someone just not on the same level. So many good drivers further down the grid who could do more with that car.

I watched a 2007 season summary the other night, so good to see both McLaren's and both Ferraris scrapping and winning races.

Randdalf

They announced the final four classic cars in F1 2017 https://youtu.be/R2zFTQXiYWo

I noticed they're filming the cars from very specific angles, possibly to avoid tripping over tobacco advertising laws.

edit: In fact, it looks like they've just taken the tobacco advertising off the cars. The MP4-4 usually has Marlboro on its rear wing

Fox Mulder

They announced the final four classic cars in F1 2017 https://youtu.be/R2zFTQXiYWo

I noticed they're filming the cars from very specific angles, possibly to avoid tripping over tobacco advertising laws.

edit: In fact, it looks like they've just taken the tobacco advertising off the cars. The MP4-4 usually has Marlboro on its rear wing

Teams take off the tobacco sponsors from the old cars in real life too, like at goodwood.

I wish we could get naughty sponsors in the game. The current Williams looks stupid with Martini stripped out. The Nascar game developer knows they have adult fans and puts alcohol sponsors behind an simple age check.

DBT85

Teams take off the tobacco sponsors from the old cars in real life too, like at goodwood.

I wish we could get naughty sponsors in the game. The current Williams looks stupid with Martini stripped out. The Nascar game developer knows they have adult fans and puts alcohol sponsors behind an simple age check.

Seems daft to not use the same sponsors that the sport currently allows.

Can't recall if FIFA has booze/betting sponsorship in it.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge

At least they keep the liveries intact:

1200px-2006FOS_1997PenskePC26.jpg

m13zRga.png

This is an exaggerated example though, all the other cars with tobacco or alcohol sponsorship kept their liveries and got the sponsor names replaced with team names. I guess this was an exception because Marlboro is so iconic.

ramparter

Banned
I still don't understand how a driver, who is an employee, can dictate what other people his employer hires.
Employees have leverage depending on how much employers want them. This is general rule in life, the more you depend on something or someone, the more control it / he has over you.

FrankCanada97

Apparently, IndyCar's "shield" is set to be revealed sometime this year along with the 2018 aerokit:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/142457-indycar-on-track-for-cockpit-safety-device-test

Following Wednesday's confirmation that Formula 1's "halo" cockpit protection device will become mandatory in 2018, IndyCar competition president Jay Frye provided an update on where the American open-wheel series stands with the shield-like device it's preparing for the Dallara DW12 chassis.

"We've been quietly working on applications for the last year and a half, and feel good at where we're at with progress," Frye told RACER. "We're also happy with the options we'll present and will have something on a car to test between now and the end of the year."

The device, which is meant to reduce the likelihood of a flying object striking a driver's helmet, will continue down a path and introduction timeline that Frye feels is best for the 106-year-old championship. Unlike F1's halo, IndyCar has not committed to a definitive launch date for its cockpit piece.

"We're full-speed ahead and hoping we'll have something to show people sooner rather than later, but the main thing we're aiming for is once we're ready to show it, it will be ready to go," Frye said. "It will have been tested, proven, and ready for use before it comes out. We've already tested it on simulators, and the next stage is to test and prove it in the field."

Compared to the sizeable, wrap-around shield tested by Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel last weekend at the British Grand Prix, IndyCar's version has been described as modest in size while blending into the cockpit opening. Frye's development team has also been working to avoid the dizziness issue Vettel reported after looking through the shield while lapping in his Ferrari SF70H.

"Some of the issues we saw last weekend with distortion is something we've been cognizant of for a while now," he added. "It's something we've been working on so it isn't an issue."

Having read the steady flow of criticism aimed at the halo's limited visual appeal, Frye says IndyCar has done its best to create a piece that serves its safety purpose without disrupting the new, flowing bodywork that will be to be introduced in 2018.

"Aesthetics is something that has been important to us," he said. "We did some bodywork testing last fall, chose a new direction for our 2018 universal bodywork that will start testing next week, and this protection project is something we've always been conscious of as being an integrated part of the car. The best thing you can have is where it's on the car, does what it's supposed to do, and it's blended in and people don't notice it very much. That's' been our approach all along."

tomtom94

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130866/honda-explains-root-of-2017-troubles

"Many items we could not test on the dyno, so it is normal that we need to check some functions in the car," he said.

"The oil tank is one of the biggest items - we have a rig for the oil tank but we cannot recreate the same types of g-forces and conditions as in the car.

"Of course, by design we have to consider the actual car situation in theory, but sometimes it is not always the same situation, so that is why we had some issues with the oil tank.

"The second issue was down to the vibrations. On the dyno, the model is stiffer and heavier, so it doesn't create any synchronised vibrations.

"But on the car - with the gearbox and the tyres - there is a much lower level of inertia.

"Low inertia does not always create vibrations but it's completely different from the dyno and that's why we suffered a huge vibration on the car.

"Of course, we were aware some level of vibration would come in the car, but it was much bigger than we expected."

TCRS

Banned
Tried the Lewis Hamilton Monster today. It's okay.. barely above the standard Monster shit taste. Don't know why I bought two cans of it.

FrankCanada97

The Ganassi team continues to heap praise upon Felix Rosenqvist.

Rosenqvist impresses again in "flawless" Ganassi IndyCar test

Rosenqvist completed 100 laps in the morning session of a five-car test at Mid-Ohio, reprising his IndyCar test debut at the same venue last year.

Simmons told Motorsport.com: “He was flawless, just like we expected after last year. He did more miles in less time than in last year’s test, and there were no signs of fatigue.

“There weren’t as many cars testing this year – just four others [two Dale Coyne Racing-Hondas, two AJ Foyt Racing-Chevrolets], whereas last year I think there were 17 cars. So it took quite a while for the track to rubber up, and I’m not sure it ever did get as good as last year. Mid-Ohio is kind of famous for that big difference between how it is at the start of the day to how it is at the end.

“So Felix’s time was slower than last year but he was the quickest car in the morning by a fair margin.”

Simmons said that despite his two tests being a year apart, Rosenqvist immediately identified the difference between the Honda engine and aerokit and the Chevy package that Ganassi ran last year.

“Yeah, it was like he never left!” said Simmons. “He could call the differences right away, got up to speed quickly and so we were able to start the test program with him really early on.

“So yeah – he’s fast, smart, he had good pace on old tires too… cool, calm, collected. We couldn’t ask for anything more, to be honest.”

Although rookies’ feedback is traditionally of limited use to veteran teammates in their first season together, Simmons believes Rosenqvist is at a level where he could contribute to overall team progress, and supply helpful information that four-time series champion Scott Dixon could trust.
“So this year we went in with a longer list, and we got through that too. Felix’s feedback is good, exactly what we’ve come to expect from him now. In the afternoon we repeated a couple of setup comparisons with Scott, and the two of them ended up just a damper setting apart, and considering the different track conditions, even that wasn’t a surprise.

“You know, obviously it would take him time to figure out what his car needed to optimize it for each track, what it needs to feel like. But as far as reading changes and what they do and knowing what he wants out of the car, he’s there already.”

Simmons said that he believes that although Rosenqvist’s potential on ovals is as yet unknown, he has the talent and the right mindset to adapt.

“I think he did only a couple of ovals in Indy Lights last year, but there have been other drivers who hadn’t done any ovals at all and came in at this level and did pretty well – guys like [Juan Pablo] Montoya.

“So I think with Felix’s calm demeanor and attitude and willingness to learn, it wouldn’t take him too long to figure out the ovals.

“You never know how drivers will develop but his pace is excellent right now. We’ve only seen him in a test situation rather than over the course of a weekend, and we all know there’s a lot more that goes into this than just being fast on test days.

“But Felix’s pedigree and the races he’s won over here and in Europe, we all know he’s super-talented and personally I’d love to have him on the team. I think if he came to IndyCar, he’d be one of the top drivers in a relatively short period of time.”

Tony Kanaan is nearing retirement age, Rosenqvist would be the perfect replacement. Would be a loss for Formula E for a talented driver to jump ship to IndyCar.

Fox Mulder

So... maybe significantly improve your dyno setup?

Didn't Ferrari just test their engine in a laferrari or something a few years ago.

Good for haas. They just came in and already are happy turning down developmental talent. There needs to be more back markers or junior teams as there's just fewer seats opening each year.

Jezbollah

I don't understand. The Hungaroring is still bad and boring.

It's a much better layout than it was a long time ago, however it's still a glorified go-kart track. Pretty much 99% of it's appeal is that it's the only real eastern European race. The Polish, Czech and Hungarians love their motor racing.

Zaru

It's a much better layout than it was a long time ago, however it's still a glorified go-kart track. Pretty much 99% of it's appeal is that it's the only real eastern European race. The Polish, Czech and Hungarians love their motor racing.

Hungary, despite its layout not being great for overtaking, somehow manages to often spice things up in the championship.

Since 2004, the race has not been won by a driver that went on to win the championship, and even the runner-up only won 4 times. It's the underdog's track.
I love my unusual statistics.

DD

Hungaroring on paper looks as bad as a track can be, but it seems that somehow it manages to produce races that are great to watch, while the Tilkodromes with wide asphalt, big run-off areas and gigantic straghts do the oposite.

Randdalf

I really like the Hungaroring in games. Sector 1 is glorious, and sector 2 is really difficult to get right. It's one of my favourite tracks in qualifying.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
@adamcooperF1
now
Confirmation from @RenaultSportF1 that Robert Kubica will drive the current car in Hungary on August 2

Note: The in-season test, not race-weekend.

<Insert nervous picture of Palmer here>

Presumably they'd run Sirotkin next to him.

Dilly

Banned
My God, that is awesome news! Could've never imagined seeing him in an F1 car again.

Hopy my boy Kubica impresses enough to replace Palmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom