• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grug

Niki Lauda maybe is just being a good sport and sticking with the Mercedes "underdog" messaging but he agreed that they couldn't have caught Vettel today regardless of pit strategy.

Result aside, I was quite concerned at the lack of actual racing we saw here. Hopefully it's not how the whole season is going to go.

Also, Raikkonen needs to be a lot better than he was today.

DBT85

Just saw the results, maybe we'll have a battle for top spot after all!
Think we need to get past the whole "Lewis is dumb/doesn't do his homework while everyone else does" thing.

Yeah that's never going away. People like to cling on to it like a lifeline. We already had people expecting Lewis to bin the start lol.

Mohonky

That and despite being one of the fastest guys on the track, when his car is running perfectly, he has a notable weakness in crisis management. If there's even a small flaw, he'll focus on that and start making poor judgment calls.

Like today. Tires aren't perfect anymore? Better switch to some with less grip!

While his raw talent is undeniable, he really needs to read the manual for his car. Or trust his team just a little more. This is not the first time a defect or perceived defect has harmed his race much more than it would have harmed his closest competitors with the same error.

Switch to tires with less grip? As soon as he switched to the Soft he went purple.

I think it was just a learning curve with the tyres, the Merc seemingly more tyre hungry than the Ferrari and poor judgement. He was keeping Ferrari the Ferrari behind him and the gap was growing then shrinking then growing again and then shrinking so its not like the Ferrari was right up under his gearbox, he was probably more concerned of being undercut and a combination of coming in too early and underestimating how long the others would stay out on track cost him. They had probably assumed (wrongly) that Verstappen would stop earlier before Hamilton got caught up behind him, obviously, Verstappen was out longer and despitethe better speed, he couldnt get past Verstappen. Had Verstappen not been there, its likely he would have still been in front of Vettel, of course, whether he would have enough tyre left at the end of the race to defend Vettel is another matter entirely but that is purely hypothetical because by the time Verstappen stopped, Hamilton was what, 6sec down on Vettel and he had used the tyres up following behind Verstappen and trying to overtake him.

Was just a bad strategy call, Merc assumed things about what the other teams would do as far as when they would pit and it didnt happen like they thought and put him behind the 8 ball.

spuckthew

In retrospect, Hamilton should have done to Vettel what he often did to Rosberg: there's no way that a similarly-paced car on similarly-aged tyres was going to overtake, so he should have just kept Vettel behind him for another 8 laps and then pitted. It would have provided enough time to build a bigger gap to 3rd, 4th and 5th and likely would have prevented him getting stuck behind a Red Bull of all cars. Vettel for sure was the faster driver today, but Hamilton/Mercedes made it a lot easier for them than it should have been.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Pit stops are almost one second slower than last year

Lewis just said he only pitted one lap earlier than he was expected to.

He would be clear of VES if he pitted as planned, but looks like he made the call after mistake in S1

In retrospect, Hamilton should have done to Vettel what he often did to Rosberg: there's no way that a similarly-paced car on similarly-aged tyres was going to overtake, so he should have just kept Vettel behind him for another 8 laps and then pitted. It would have provided enough time to build a bigger gap to 3rd, 4th and 5th and likely would have prevented him getting stuck behind a Red Bull of all cars. Vettel for sure was the faster driver today, but Hamilton/Mercedes made it a lot easier for them than it should have been.

The worst thing, is that Lewis was saying around this time last year that the new regs will destroy overtaking.

We could see that even with DRS Vettel couldn't get close to Lewis.

We could see that DRS was also pretty ineffective on other cars.

We could see track position was pretty critical.

Yet merc thought it would be okay to pit Lewis at a time where he's coming out behind a train of four cars including a racing red bull.

Regardless of hindsight, it was a terrible decision. It was the equivalent of pitting for new tyres at Monaco because there is a car behind you doing purple sectors.

If they absolutely had to do it, why not stay out long enough that Seb gets caught behind the red bull too, instead of giving him free air to get out in front of him?

stryke

Felt more sorry for RB than Ric today. Yeah shame he couldn't race for the home crowd but he put himself in that position.

Chuck

Still without luck
Felt more sorry for RB than Ric today. Yeah shame he couldn't race for the home crowd but he put himself in that position.
Spinning on one corner and lightly damaging the back of the car means he should suffer catastrophic failure twice?

Sure bud

BigAl1992

Ok, so I just woke up and.....Holy shit. I didn't expect that. Looks like we might get some good racing after all this year. Toro Rosso and Force India also proved me wrong and all their drivers scored points today, so good on them, but I'll want to see the highlights later on.

Ark

Well I woke up at 5:45, watched everything until 9am, and fell asleep until 12 again.

Totally worth it. Awesome race, and I'm excited for the rest of the season :)

nny

Just caught up with the race, here's hoping for a less one-sided season! Been a while since I saw the finger.

Max, once again, providing some excitement to the sport. ;P

Ark

It's pretty crazy that every car got lapped after Massa in 6th. I suppose those gaps will tighten as the season goes on.

Par for the course with big regulation changes like this. Don't forget as well that the non-works teams are paying much more for their engines than in any regulation shake-up before.

Boring race. Interesting result. Potentially exciting championship ahead!
It's pretty crazy that every car got lapped after Massa in 6th. I suppose those gaps will tighten as the season goes on.
At least it's better than the 80s, where McLaren or Williams would lap everyone but themselves. How times have changed.

tomtom94

Ten years ago, Raikkonen got fastest lap in a race where the (Mclaren-)Mercedes and Ferrari cars were far better than anyone else on the field, and Massa finished sixth.

Delighted to see these new rules creating a revolution in F1!

/s

OHUsbS9.jpg

That's the most Italian image ever posted.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
2017 regs made Melbourne look like the Hungaroring.

This is going to be a shit season of racing.

Zaru

2017 regs made Melbourne look like the Hungaroring.

This is going to be a shit season of racing.

It's a difficult balance to find. I actually enjoyed most races last year even though Mercedes was dominant, because the tyres combined with DRS caused a LOT of overtakes throughout the field. Mad Max in particular. Call it artificial but it was kinda fun.

Now we might have two teams fighting which makes for amazing championship meta, but there's not much happening on track yet.

When was the last season where we had both thrilling championship meta and exciting racing?

tomtom94

The main thing that will affect the racing this season is DRS. I don't think we had a single DRS-assisted overtake in Australia because there simply wasn't enough room to close the 0.7 seconds or so that was the "dirty air" gap. But if they can calibrate it properly for the remaining races (i.e. make it so you can close up but not a guaranteed overtake) then that will have a positive impact.

Zeknurn

It's a difficult balance to find. I actually enjoyed most races last year even though Mercedes was dominant, because the tyres combined with DRS caused a LOT of overtakes throughout the field. Mad Max in particular. Call it artificial but it was kinda fun.

Now we might have two teams fighting which makes for amazing championship meta, but there's not much happening on track yet.

When was the last season where we had both thrilling championship meta and exciting racing?

Juicy Bob

The main thing that will affect the racing this season is DRS. I don't think we had a single DRS-assisted overtake in Australia because there simply wasn't enough room to close the 0.7 seconds or so that was the "dirty air" gap. But if they can calibrate it properly for the remaining races (i.e. make it so you can close up but not a guaranteed overtake) then that will have a positive impact.
We had three DRS-assisted overtakes today. Just to give an idea.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

2010?

From Autosport:

Responding to suggestions that he didn't seem too unhappy to have missed out on victory, Hamilton said his disappointment was tempered by the fact Mercedes remains in the hunt for victories despite rule changes.

Now he's being accused of not being upset enough?

ramparter

Banned
Im very optimistic, Ferrari maybe only won because of the fuckup but they showed they had the pace. Vettel stayed close to Lewis when he was second and as soon as he got in front he controlled the race.

malyce

A few things:

-Lewis came out of quali thinking this was still 2016 and they would just disappear into the distance after turn 1, but Ferrari had other plans. When he realized the Ferrari's pace was real he started to get jumpy. That's what happens when you get accustomed to having the fastest car for such a long period of time. And as a huge Lewis fan.. please shut the fuck up and drive. The floor was fine.. the Ferrari is just as fast as you. Don't get jumpy.

-I've been saying for years that Merc's pitwall is trash. They've had the luxury of always being able to outdrive their opponents when they fuck up strategy or something goes wrong on track.

-Merc's design philosophy works it clean air, but their cars have always been super sensitive to dirty air, moreso then their opponents. This is gonna hurt them dearly this year unless they can out-develop Ferrari and RB fast enough to get their 1+ second advantage back.

-This is only the first race of the season and props to Ferrari, but Merc still has the fastest car. With this race providing a bit more understanding of the tires I expect them to sort it out. Australia is an outlier, I fully expect Merc to walk Ferrari in China.

spuckthew

So those rumours about McLaren moving back to Merc engines might not be so farfetched after all... My dad knows someone who works in McLaren's gearbox department and my dad told me that they'll be switching later in the year once they've worked everything out.

I still hold an I'lll-believe-it-when-I-see-it mentality, but watch this space I guess?

BigAl1992

So those rumours about McLaren moving back to Merc engines might not be so farfetched after all... My dad knows someone who works in McLaren's gearbox department and my dad told me that they'll be switching later in the year once they've worked everything out.

I still hold an I'lll-believe-it-when-I-see-it mentality, but watch this space I guess?

Well I'm bookmarking this post if it turns out to be true. Did the guy tell your father anything else? I'd imagine there must be a lot of apathy between the team in Woking and Honda right now.

Even if McLaren switched later in the season, I can't imagine its going to be a seamless transition. Look at last year's Renault. Car built around a Merc could perform decently at best. Now McLaren would have to do it without a works budget.

Listening to Box of Neutrals podcast, someone posited the question that maybe McHonda would've done better if Honda came to Manor's rescue. Manor could've stayed in F1 and Honda would've had twice the engine data for developing and testing. I wonder if something like that could've worked out.

Unless it's going to rain can we stop at Qualifying at Monaco?

lol, I've always thought this about Monaco. But then again you have moments where your team forgets what tires are and throw the race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom