• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 to stop using Grid Girls and women who just lost their job are fighting for it.

Dunki

So there was this statement of the Formula one that due to societal norms they will stop using Grid Girls.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/1/formula-1-to-stop-using-grid-girls-.html

This resulted in many women losing their job they loved and felt very empowered by. While Feminist celebrate this as a win especially because of the #metoo movement which seems ridiculous these women and many other try to reverse the decision. I think Piers Morgan said it the best: "Modern feminism: a woman’s right to choose what she does with her body - unless radical feminists don’t like it."

Here are some reactions of these women.

I think Piers Morgan said it best.

It is a real shame that these nutcases actually can so easily destroy a womens life just because they are offended by it.

Relativ9

Holy shit...Piers Morgan said something I agree with.

I find it funny that these sorts of things are what the feminists are so up in arms about, but no one is making a big deal about stuff like https://www.its4women.ie/ car insurance, because if discrimination is positive it doesn't matter right?...you know, so long as the women it benefits aren't also above average in attractiveness.

Last edited:

llien

Well, female models will earn less money in 2018, apparently.

I find it funny that these sorts of things are what the feminists are so up in arms about, but no one is making a big deal about stuff like https://www.its4women.ie/ car insurance, because if discrimination is positive it doesn't matter right?...you know, so long as the women it benefits aren't also above average in attractiveness.

There are two concepts that can be applied to insurance:
1) you are allowed to split customers into groups based on gender
2) you are not allowed to do so

I wouldn't refer to either approach as unfair, provided, it is consistently applied across all insurance types. (it isn't a win-win, health insurance is cheaper for men)
Anyhow, EU has banned insurers from taking gender into account.

dolabla

This is just pure insanity. No other way around it. Hope these girls keep fighting back. You can't let the bully run the block.

Last edited:

Dunki

Comment from michelle westby a prof stunt driver and model with her take on this.

I wasn’t going to get involved in this whole ban of grid girls debate as I felt all the girls were handling it great but recently seen some comments which really have got my blood boiling like ‘ they have no purpose, intelligence , or even knowledge of cars / racing ‘ and ‘ about time they got a proper job’ First of all the majority of the girls working on the grid have a very strong interest in racing and like myself got involved in pit duties where possible and even used my time at race events to learn and better my knowledge of cars and racing ! Also most girls do this work as extra money when again like myself already had a very good full time job and or at uni studying . Most these girls are far from just a pretty face ! People have forgot the saying don’t judge a book by its cover . The most important point I’d like to get across is in fact that if it wasn’t for grid work / promotional modelling I wouldn’t be where I am now in a ‘males dominated ‘ sport / job as a Stunt Driver / Drift Competition Driver inspiring and influencing females into this ‘ intimidating male environment ‘ I get girls message me all the time saying how I inspire them and made them want to try get into racing / drifting when they didn’t want to before thinking girls wouldn’t be accepted as much . Now I hear all the negative people ask how on earth standing on a grid looking ‘pretty’ helped ...... well I had always been into cars and racing but like most girls I didn’t think I could due to not being male and also finances , it was thanks to European Drift Championship giving me a job as a grid girl that helped with that . I saw drifting for the first time and thought seriously I would love to do that , after talking to drivers they all supported me and advised me how to start up myself , from then on I used there advised to start myself up and then further grid work helped me finance it . Again what most people don’t realise the girls have knowledge of the products / teams they are promoting , that’s part of the job ! We also always get a brief on what our uniform will be , it’s then up to us if we feel comfortable in it but I think we are more clothed then what teenagers wear down the super markets nowadays ! I’m now retired from it all but to think girls have now lost a lot of important income because feminists think they know best when they haven’t a clue is really frustrating , we have our own voice , we loved doing the job , this is all basically because some men can’t control what comes out their mouth and nothing to do with the girls . I can walk past a building site and get the same comments so why suddenly a job should be taken away due to some unwanted male attention is a joke . What’s next ? No female magazines , commercials ..... where does it end. Hope the right people get to see this post !

Also this since it is also involves dartgirls

Last edited:

dolabla

She's right. Where does it end? Until everything is completely erased and fits their views? Companies need to stop caving to these radical social justice bullies. They're meant for South Park episodes, not real world policy.

Last edited:
I think this is a more difficult and nuanced moral issue than so many people are presenting it as.

To try and break the question down into its component parts:

If you believe that a position of employment exists only to further harmful cultural ideas towards you, is it okay for you to be mad about it and call for that position to no longer exist?

It'd be like if in my office suddenly our CEO decided to hire scantily clad models to stand around as hot eye candy. It wouldn't be crazy if our female employees got mad at that and want those models to no longer be hired by us, and if I told my girlfriend about it and she got mad too, I don't think that would be unwarranted.

Even so, there's still the issue that people will lose jobs, which sucks. However, it's also understandable for women to ask that we move away from a culture where so many corners of it only include women if/when they can be reduced to sexual objects.

Dunki

I think this is a more difficult and nuanced moral issue than so many people are presenting it as.

To try and break the question down into its component parts:

If you believe that a position of employment exists only to further harmful cultural ideas towards you, is it okay for you to be mad about it and call for that position to no longer exist?

It'd be like if in my office suddenly our CEO decided to hire scantily clad models to stand around as hot eye candy. It wouldn't be crazy if our female employees got mad at that and want those models to no longer be hired by us, and if I told my girlfriend about it and she got mad too, I don't think that would be unwarranted.

Even so, there's still the issue that people will lose jobs, which sucks. However, it's also understandable for women to ask that we move away from a culture where so many corners of it only include women if/when they can be reduced to sexual objects.
So you are fine to tell women what they are allowed to do and wear because of your moral standards? These women loved this job, they were not scantily dressed like the pictures show. In fact they felt empowered by it. So are you really ok that a small minority with radical believes can tell women what they can do and what they can not? Do you also like it that Iran is arresting women for not wearing a hijab for these exact same reasons?

Last edited:

NickFire

Its kinda shocking how these major companies haven't learned to just ignore the twitter crowd. You would thank the last US presidential election would have shown them that the angry twitter fascists do not speak for nearly as many people they think they do. And good Lord, common sense is enough to conclude that very few, if any of those crying on twitter about gorgeous women, would ever watch the race in the first place.

Lupingosei

Banned
This was only logical in some way. For 2nd and 3rd wave feminists all these jobs are trash. Everything in entertainment is garbage and for them no women should work as a model, actor, singer or grid girl. That was also the funniest part, when female entertainers supported Hillary Clinton. For feminists like her they did nothing worthwhile in the first place.

Also feminist formula 1 fans are probably only a very small minority, but still because it is all about ideology this is a battle flied for them and they decide what is good and what is bad. And because feminism is nowadays a very puritan movement and sex-negative this is also another victory against the male gaze.

ilfait

Sucks for the people that this negatively affects, but if there's no coercion or pandering involved then I think it's a good move. If I owned F1 I wouldn't have grid girls either. Same goes for UFC, boxing, etc. Not because I think it's immoral, but just because I think it's trashy.

So you are fine to tell women what they are allowed to do and wear because of your moral standards? These women loved this job, they were not scantily dressed like the pictures show. In fact they felt empowered by it. So are you really ok that a small minority with radical believes can tell women what they can do and what they can not? Do you also like it that Iran is arresting women for not wearing a hijab for these exact same reasons?

I'm not talking about my moral standards at all. If they felt empowered that's fine. I never said this was easy, it's a difficult moral question. I'm trying to put myself in other people's shoes, at my office they hired black dudes to eat watermelon and fried chicken and act in stereotypical ways because white dudes liked to laugh at that shit, then I would obviously feel a way about that. Any and every social norm is essentially us telling other people how to act. It being a minority or majority doesn't really bother me. I'm sure that for a vast portion of our history the small minority of people have fought for social changes which we consider norms right now. I don't think this is in any way comparable to Iran arresting women for not wearing a hijab. This is about a simple question for a lot of people, is it okay for us to live in a culture where so many corners of it only include women if/when they can be reduced to sexual objects? Also, if scantily clad male models were also present in these spaces, I'm sure no one would even be calling for this to end.

Dunki

I'm not talking about my moral standards at all. If they felt empowered that's fine. I never said this was easy, it's a difficult moral question. I'm trying to put myself in other people's shoes, at my office they hired black dudes to eat watermelon and fried chicken and act in stereotypical ways because white dudes liked to laugh at that shit, then I would obviously feel a way about that. Any and every social norm is essentially us telling other people how to act. It being a minority or majority doesn't really bother me. I'm sure that for a vast portion of our history the small minority of people have fought for social changes which we consider norms right now. I don't think this is in any way comparable to Iran arresting women for not wearing a hijab. This is about a simple question for a lot of people, is it okay for us to live in a culture where so many corners of it only include women if/when they can be reduced to sexual objects? Also, if scantily clad male models were also present in these spaces, I'm sure no one would even be calling for this to end.

First of all yes it is the same agrumentation. Iran has the argument that if you call it scantily dressed women which means wearin a skirt etc in public is corupting the morals of society and minds of men. That also a reason why women are not allowed to ride a bycicle in public as well.

And for your information.

Last edited:

Fnord

The things I used to rely on Conservatives for (small government, less public spending) have gone by the wayside. The things I used to rely on Liberals for (freedom of speech, freedom of expression) have gone by the wayside. I don't recognize this world, anymore.

First of all yes it is the same agrumentation. Iran has the argument that if you call it scantily dressed women which means wearin a skirt etc in public is corupting the morals of society and minds of men. That also a reason why women are not allowed to ride a bycicle in public as well.

And for your information.

That appears to be very different than this argument. Iran's argument is that women should never be scantily dressed, these people's argument appears to be that it is bad for women to pretty much only be included in certain spaces of culture when they are scantily dressed.

Also, an occasional novelty gridguy is not really the same.

Dunki

That appears to be very different than this argument. Iran's argument is that women should never be scantily dressed, these people's argument appears to be that it is bad for women to pretty much only be included in certain spaces of culture when they are scantily dressed.

Also, an occasional novelty gridguy is not really the same.
No it is the same argumentation. To not corrput the morals of our society. That is the reason they do this. Its yet more extreme yes but the mindset is the same. And its not a novelty. I think you have no idea at all. You did not even know they existed. Why not jsut take this loss and say. Yes women should be allowed to do what they want to do. And If I do not like It I will just look the other way.

Last edited:
No it is the same argumentation. To not corrput the morals of our society. That is the reason they do this. Its yet more extreme yes but the mindset is the same. And its not a novelty. I think you have no idea at all. You did not even know they existed. Why not jsut take this loss and say. Yes women should be allowed to do what they want to do. And If I do not like It I will just look the other way.

I think you should take more time to listen to other people's arguments.

1. Iran are mad because in ALL public spaces they believe women can never be scantily dressed.

2. Feminists are mad because they ONLY get to fully participate in some cultural spaces as a sex object.

Please do look at these things and see that they are very different.

I'm wrong? So grid guys are not a novelty, so they do exist in the same amount as grid girls? Is this the case?

Feminists are not mad that women are scantily dressed, they are mad that F1 culture is in a place where almost all the visible women within the culture are women who are paid to stand, not really talk, hold things and look pretty for all the men. Shit, I think feminists wouldn't have a problem if you just changed it, had them dressed in exactly the same way and called them "brand ambassadors" who talk to/about the teams involved.

This is ridiculous. Seriously, why is this new generation so sexually conservative?

I feel like you're almost missing the point if you think this is about the way people are dressed. You could keep the way grid girls look, but make changes to the rest of F1 culture in a way which would immediately stop people complaining.

Dunki

I think you should take more time to listen to other people's arguments.

1. Iran are mad because in ALL public spaces they believe women can never be scantily dressed.

2. Feminists are mad because they ONLY get to fully participate in some cultural spaces as a sex object.

Please do look at these things and see that they are very different.

I'm wrong? So grid guys are not a novelty, so they do exist in the same amount as grid girls? Is this the case?

Feminists are not mad that women are scantily dressed, they are mad that F1 culture is in a place where almost all the visible women within the culture are women who are paid to stand, not really talk, hold things and look pretty for all the men. Shit, I think feminists wouldn't have a problem if you just changed it, had them dressed in exactly the same way and called them "brand ambassadors" who talk to/about the teams involved.
And I said their reasoning is the same. They do not want it because it corupts more of the society and the minds of males. Again the Iran one is more extreme and focused on the whole country. Modern Feminists still only try to narrow these areas because even they are not stupid enough to try this in every aspect of our lives yet.

And yes they do have the the problem with it. If you follow conversations on social meda and news. It honestly quite disgusting how some of them act. Example would be the darts girl Jade which I also posted a conversation with a feminist.

I feel like you're almost missing the point if you think this is about the way people are dressed. You could keep the way grid girls look, but make changes to the rest of F1 culture in a way which would immediately stop people complaining.
What kind of culture? These people do not even watch this sport to begin with. They have no Idea about the culture and they did not even ask or do not even care how these women who loved their job feel about all this. They had no say into all of this.

Last edited:

Makariel

You could keep the way grid girls look, but make changes to the rest of F1 culture in a way which would immediately stop people complaining.
What changes to the rest of F1 culture are you talking about? Please a few specifics. There were and are women running F1 teams for example. You make it sound like F1 is run by a few rich ageing playboys with cocaine around the nose sitting on expensive yachts, and not a multi-million business with highly paid professionals who put their heart and soul into it.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

No, this is about tearing down women's rights to do with their bodies as they please in the name of protecting them from men and themselves. It is disgusting and anti-feminist.

And I said their reasoning is the same. They do not want it because it corupts more of the society and the minds of males. Again the Iran one is more extreme and focused on the whole country. Modern Feminists still only try to narrow these areas because even they are not stupid enough to try this in every aspect of our lives yet.

And yes they do have the the problem with it. If you follow conversations on social meda and news. It honestly quite disgusting how some of them act. Example would be the darts girl Jade which I also posted a conversation with a feminist.

What kind of culture? These people do not even watch this sport to begin with. They have no Idea about the culture and they did not even ask or do not even care how these women who loved their job feel about all this. They had no say into all of this.

I think you've oversimplified things. This obviously isn't just a "scantily clad women are automatically bad" issue. Also you're basically treating Modern feminists like the illuminati. They're not a cult. They're a group of wildly different people who have wildly different thoughts on what is going on now and what should be going on in the future. Feminists aren't throwing people in jail, it's farcical to compare them to a government of any kind.

Feminists aren't divorced from occasionally acting like assholes, but that has no bearing on the current conversation.

This entire conversation is about culture. Grid girls are not a definite part of this sport, they're a part of the culture, a fairly recent part if I'm not mistaken (late 1980s I think). Also you don't know if the complainers watched this sport and you shouldn't have to prove your credentials in order to complain. If you believe that there's a bit of nuance that is being lost with grid girls, please do explain it. Also since time began people have lost jobs as what is culturally "okay" has changed, it's unfortunate but it happens.

ilfait

No, this is about tearing down women's rights to do with their bodies as they please in the name of protecting them from men and themselves. It is disgusting and anti-feminist.
What do you mean when you say "this"? Getting rid of a role in a company isn't the same as taking away people's rights to do what they like with their body. I guess it's taking away some people's ability to be sexy on an F1 racetrack while holding signs, but not everyone was allowed to do that to begin with--only the specific people that were hired to do it. Certain types of jobs come and go. At one time most restaurant bathrooms probably had a guy handing you a towel. At some point most restaurants decided not to do that anymore, but it wasn't necessarily to oppress people, or to make a political statement.

I think that whether the F1's ethically wrong or right depends on the reasoning behind the decision. If it's out of a desire to restrict the freedoms of women, or to placate people who want to restrict the freedom of women, that's bad. If not, I don't see why it's wrong.

Dunki

I think you've oversimplified things. This obviously isn't just a "scantily clad women are automatically bad" issue. Also you're basically treating Modern feminists like the illuminati. They're not a cult. They're a group of wildly different people who have wildly different thoughts on what is going on now and what should be going on in the future. Feminists aren't throwing people in jail, it's farcical to compare them to a government of any kind.

Feminists aren't divorced from occasionally acting like assholes, but that has no bearing on the current conversation.

This entire conversation is about culture. Grid girls are not a definite part of this sport, they're a part of the culture, a fairly recent part if I'm not mistaken (late 1980s I think). Also you don't know if the complainers watched this sport and you shouldn't have to prove your credentials in order to complain. If you believe that there's a bit of nuance that is being lost with grid girls, please do explain it. Also since time began people have lost jobs as what is culturally "okay" has changed, it's unfortunate but it happens.
First of all I honestly believe that they would put people in jail for not sharing their opinion if they could. The most they do right now is to destroy everyones life who deos not agree with them. SEcondly I do not agree with the notion that they are not a cult to be honest. I do not know if you know Laci Green for example. In her childhood "thanks" to her parents she was part of mormons. Last yeah when she broke with modern feminsm they said she felt like in religious cult which shames and destroys everyone who does not agree with them. And she is not the only person who said that. Camille Paglia said the same about modern Feminism. She said they are like programmed robots always saying the same not being able to respond to arguments except these phrases etc.

And lastly. Gridgirls are part of the F1 world. They are part of the whole media they bring glamour into these events and women who do this love it. And as for people lost their jobs. Yes they did but most of these jobs had to do with murder. Liike executioner etc. We are here talking about models who love what they are doing and modern feminists being jelous or angry because these women love the stuff they were brainwashed to hate.

Last edited:
What changes to the rest of F1 culture are you talking about? Please a few specifics. There were and are women running F1 teams for example. You make it sound like F1 is run by a few rich ageing playboys with cocaine around the nose sitting on expensive yachts, and not a multi-million business with highly paid professionals who put their heart and soul into it.

I've already given some examples earlier. Please do ask if you have any other questions. Also please don't think I'm shitting on F1, I'm sure they're all nice people and work very hard at what they do. I just think the image of a bunch interesting male participants and a bunch attractive female non-participants is the tale of our culture immemorial and it's just grown old to some people.

I'm sure someone said similar about black people who got paid to be in minstrel shows.

I feel like the anger should be directed at those who actually made this decision. F1 isn't run by feminists and they didn't have to cave to the criticism.

pramod

Banned
I feel like the anger should be directed at those who actually made this decision. F1 isn't run by feminists and they didn't have to cave to the criticism.

Yeah I just don't understand the decision of these execs. Who are they catering to? Unless there are millions of these feminist hardcore F-1 fans that we were not aware of?

Yeah I just don't understand the decision of these execs. Who are they catering to? Unless there are millions of these feminist hardcore F-1 fans that we were not aware of?

Hasn't f1 lost a lot of its popularity in recent years? Could just be a part of an attempt to reverse that trend.

First of all I honestly believe that they would put people in jail for not sharing their opinion if they could. The most they do right now is to destroy everyones life who deos not agree with them. SEcondly I do not agree with the notion that they are not a cult to be honest. I do not know if you know Laci Green for example. In her childhood "thanks" to her parents she was part of mormons. Last yeah when she broke with modern feminsm they said she felt like in religious cult which shames and destroys everyone who does not agree with them. And she is not the only person who said that. Camille Paglia said the same about modern Feminism. She said they are like programmed robots always saying the same not being able to respond to arguments except these phrases etc.

And lastly. Gridgirls are part of the F1 world. They are part of the whole media they bring glamour into these events and women who do this love it. And as for people lost their jobs. Yes they did but most of these jobs had to do with murder. Liike executioner etc. We are here talking about models who love what they are doing and modern feminists being jelous or angry because these women love the stuff they were brainwashed to hate.

Firstly, well that's just your opinion man. That being your opinion I think it might be hard for you to judge any feminist action.
Again I think you underestimate how much feminists argue about stuff. So much of feminism is in house debating.

Grid girls are currently part of the F1 world, but they weren't always a part of it and won't always be a part of it. F1 culture will change as it has always done. Accusing feminists of basically being an evil cult means that I don't even know how to have this debate because you assume that everything they do is done out of an evil attempt to control everything.

"This" as in all of the puritanical moves by radical feminists to censor or control female sexuality. They have helped to push society in a sex-negative way.

You are hopeless if you are equating modeling and minstrel shows.

Modelling is not the same as being a grid girl. And my basic argument is that you can have an opinion about someone's employment role without being an evil controlling person. If there were grid girls in my office I think it's okay for me to not like that.

Relativ9

Had to look into her after seeing that. Checked out this interview, really good. I don't agree with her fully and I think she might be really bad at communicating her ideas and sort of baits the leftists to misunderstand her, but still:

Dunki

Firstly, well that's just your opinion man. That being your opinion I think it might be hard for you to judge any feminist action.
Again I think you underestimate how much feminists argue about stuff. So much of feminism is in house debating.

Grid girls are currently part of the F1 world, but they weren't always a part of it and won't always be a part of it. F1 culture will change as it has always done. Accusing feminists of basically being an evil cult means that I don't even know how to have this debate because you assume that everything they do is done out of an evil attempt to control everything.
Its not done out of evil its done because of brainwashing and manipulation. Aka wrong statistics about the wage gap, about sexual assaults about how media influences people etc. I do not think that modern feminists on the internet are evil they are just stupid robots while others straight up hate men like the teenvogue journalists as an example.

@ Relativ9 Relativ9 nice I will check out this video later.

Last edited:
Lena Dunham types punching up at Taylor Swift types. dragging them down to their level and calling it a win.

Feminism doesnt apply to pretty girls who can work it to their benefit it seems

2A6ECF9B00000578-3161374-image-m-4_1436908525647.jpg

Its not done out of evil its done because of brainwashing and manipulation. Aka wrong statistics about the wage gap, about sexual assaults about how media influences people etc. I do not think that modern feminists on the internet are evil they are just stupid robots while others straight up hate men like the teenvogue journalists as an example.

@ Relativ9 Relativ9 nice I will check out this video later.

Well, I just fundamentally disagree with you about that. I think they have loads of valid arguments and I think if you approached this as a set of arguments by different people, not feminists saying brainwashed feminist things, I think you'd understand what people are actually trying to say.

Dunki

Well, I just fundamentally disagree with you about that. I think they have loads of valid arguments and I think if you approached this as a set of arguments by different people, not feminists saying brainwashed feminist things, I think you'd understand what people are actually trying to say.
they have nothing to back up these claims. They use wrong statistics they do not use long term studies and so on. If someone would come up with actual scientific evidence then yes maybe we can talk. But do not try to come up with feelings. Feelings have no place in science and facts.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Who complained about grid girls and caused this?
One more achievement for modern feminism I guess.

Lena Dunham types punching up at Taylor Swift types. dragging them down to their level and calling it a win.

Feminism doesnt apply to pretty girls who can work it to their benefit it seems

2A6ECF9B00000578-3161374-image-m-4_1436908525647.jpg

Feminists have been roasting Lena Dunham for so long, it's crazy to see someone actually position her as anywhere near a leading figure within that movement. This post is especially funny given pretty much everyone on that stage would probably call themselves a feminist.

they have nothing to back up these claims. They use wrong statistics tthey do not use long term studies and so on. If someone would come up with actual scientific evidence then yes maybe we can talk. But do not try to come up with feelings. Feelings have no place in science and facts.

There are loads of statistics, facts, and studies. And even with that almost every single one of the conscious cultural changes we make, is made due to feelings. We felt like outspoken racism wasn't cool so we try not to do that anymore. We felt like minstrel shows were bad so we stopped doing them. We are currently feeling like mental health is an important issue, so we're trying to make it easier for people to speak out about it.

Then you aren't listening...

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Modelling is not the same as being a grid girl. And my basic argument is that you can have an opinion about someone's employment role without being an evil controlling person. If there were grid girls in my office I think it's okay for me to not like that.

It's not about you though is it? They have had jobs, doing something they like to and chose to do.

Last edited:
It's not about you though is it? They have had jobs, doing something they like to and chose to do.

People liked and chose to work in minstrel shows. People liking and wanting to work in a place has next to nothing to do with this argument.

F1 is a product people are selling. People are allowed to comment on aspects of that product that they liked or didn't like. If I'm watching a TV show that's constantly interspersed with random half naked dudes, then I'm allowed to complain about that.

Top Bottom