• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Weston

I have no idea why they buffed the RPG ammo. If someone has one late game and a dozen rockets it's pretty much game over.

Biggest gripe right now is weapons. Having rarity is stupid, it means I can't tell what my enemy actually has and identifying the situation is incredibly difficult. At least in PUBG everyone is on even playing field and so I can know that the person won't suddenly headshot me because they drew the luck of RNG and got an epic rifle.

Remove rarity, keep it to skill.

But in PUBG, weapons have attachments which makes them better than the base weapon. A fully decked out M416 is waaaaay better than the base M416. And in Fortnite, a blue AR is better than a gray AR.

As far as I know, weapon damage is the same, but accuracy and spread are reduced with the higher rarities. This is just a simplified way of making weapons perform better without doing the attachment thing.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Wow, didn't realize they had hitscan weapons in this. Have been leading bullets with the ARs like PUBG....

Epic is going to have to remove hitscan for this to survive me thinks. Every weapon needs bullet drop and leading.

Yuck, as a battlefield player I just really dislike hitscan for PvP games.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm really enjoying this so far! I've played two matches and first I was 11th and the second I was 15th. I just land where noone else seemed to go, find a gun, AND HIDE like a coward. I got into a brick shack the first time and people kept coming in one by one to their demise until one smart person ducked before they opened the door. I was not expecting it and got killed quickly.

I understand how this can get a bit addicting, I can't wait to play more after work.

Up on the d-pad

Good tactics. Camping is actually a good strategy in this kind of game

My first match i rank 12,0 kill. Did find an enemy,but i decide to haul ass the moment i got hit. All i got is shotgun and the guy has smg.

Current best record is rank 10 and 1 kill. I hide in the shed and got lucky since the area i was in is near the center of the storm. I think there's about 7 minutes where i'm just waiting for someone to come (lol)

Anyway to drop equipment that i have? I want to use it as a bait.

It's not allowed to do it intentionally. Like... killing a teammate to get his items is not allowed. An accidental TK is fine. Just... revive him :p

If thats the case there shouldnt be really Friendly Fire.

Personally i would never report someone team killing me because its a game mechanic enabled by the developer.

Thats like Eve Online would report or ban you because you betrayed your fleet.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
The quick death and back to main menu is going to be the death of this mode.

They really need a system that shoots you right into another match. Asap.

Fancolors

Goddamn this is way more fun than I anticipated.

5 matches so far. got top 15 on all of them. Had one match where I placed second, I don't think I ever felt a rush like this before.

Wow, didn't realize they had hitscan weapons in this. Have been leading bullets with the ARs like PUBG....

Epic is going to have to remove hitscan for this to survive me thinks. Every weapon needs bullet drop and leading.

Yuck, as a battlefield player I just really dislike hitscan for PvP games.

Yeah most everybody is saying the same thing. Epic is saying they plan to improve the gunplay but I don't know if they've been specific about hitscan vs. bullet travel/drop.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Cool, thanks!

Can someone explain what the quote below means? (From the description on the Xbox One page)

It means that you'll get Battle Royale (PvP) for free, but in order to play PvE (Save the World), it will require you have a Founder's Pack (which you can purchase or can gain access if someone gave you a friend code from a pack purchase).

PSqueak

Banned
Got a couple of matches before work, game is fun.

Tho im sad there is no way so far to pick or customize my avatar.

BTW, is crossplay between PC and consoles confirmed?

But in PUBG, weapons have attachments which makes them better than the base weapon. A fully decked out M416 is waaaaay better than the base M416. And in Fortnite, a blue AR is better than a gray AR.

As far as I know, weapon damage is the same, but accuracy and spread are reduced with the higher rarities. This is just a simplified way of making weapons perform better without doing the attachment thing.

I see. Definitely streamlines things

Not sure how I feel about armour consumables.

Also, this UI sucks.

Struggling to pick up and drop the right things and died in the storm for it.

Really frustrating inventory limit, and then cumbersome picking up and dropping what you need to.

Guess Ill need to keep my inventory open. Decided to carry too much, but even so, picking up the right thing can be annoying

The quick death and back to main menu is going to be the death of this mode.

They really need a system that shoots you right into another match. Asap.

Matchmaking is lightning fast

If people can put up with a slow, one life game like this, the. i dont think quick deaths and finding new games will be an issue

Guess Ill need to keep my inventory open. Decided to carry too much, but even so, picking up the right thing can be annoying

Tip: switch to your pickaxe and spam loot all ammo and resources. You don't have to worry about picking up guns while holding the pickaxe. That lets you clear loot drops quickly so you can then decide on whether or not you want to grab weapons.

Alienous

Hopefully they can figure it out so that the matchmaking can secure me a place in another match while I'm spectating and transfer me over when it's started.

Drink your potions people.

Tricky thing, that. Imagine the following scenarios.

#1.
I have 100 health. 50 shields. 1 potion in my inventory.

I get into a fight and take 100 damage but I win. I heal to full with a medkit. I use my spare potion. Net result: 100 health and 50 shield.

#2. I have 100 health. 100 shields. No potions in my inventory.

I get into a fight and take 100 damage but I win. Net result: 100 health and no shields.

Ploid 3.0

I see. Definitely streamlines things

Not sure how I feel about armour consumables.

Also, this UI sucks.

Struggling to pick up and drop the right things and died in the storm for it.

Really frustrating inventory limit, and then cumbersome picking up and dropping what you need to.

Change to the item you want to replace and pick up the item you want. You don't have to go into the menu for it. If you just want to quickly pick up ammo and stuff without removing a weapon just change to the pick axe and quickly pick up things. The pick axe can't be replaced so it will ignore the weapons and such.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Tricky thing, that. Imagine the following scenarios.

#1.
I have 100 health. 50 shields. 1 potion in my inventory.

I get into a fight and take 100 damage but I win. I heal to full with a medkit. I use my spare potion. Net result: 100 health and 50 shield.

#2. I have 100 health. 100 shields. No potions in my inventory.

I get into a fight and take 100 damage but I win. Net result: 100 health and no shields.
Drink mine as fast as possible. Really has saved me so far. People also need to learn to cover their tracks if they're gonna camp. If the doors are still open people might as well leave footprints too if they're gonna be so careless about leaving evidence. :p

Tip: switch to your pickaxe and spam loot all ammo and resources. You don't have to worry about picking up guns while holding the pickaxe. That lets you clear loot drops quickly so you can then decide on whether or not you want to grab weapons.

Change to the item you want to replace and pick up the item you want. You don't have to go into the menu for it. If you just want to quickly pick up ammo and stuff without removing a weapon just change to the pick axe and quickly pick up things. The pick axe can't be replaced so it will ignore the weapons and such.

Thanks folks.

So generally, I should drop all white weapons and pick up whichever rarity is best in class?

Strange how left and right on dpad arent used. Pressing triangle can lead to pressing one item too far.

Im actually enjoying this more than PUBG as a first impression. Will Epic work fast in the content updates?

Seems they can improve a lot of things real fast

Drink mine as fast as possible. Really has saved me so far. People also need to learn to cover their tracks if they're gonna camp. If the doors are still open people might as well leave footprints too if they're gonna be so careless about leaving evidence. :p

I understand that, but having no shield in this game basically feels like you're a walking piece of paper. So I only go to 100 shield if I still have 1 to spare. 100 health + 50 shields feels like it should be the base amount of health.

Mikey Jr.

This is DAMN fun.

#4 first time, pretty proud.

My downfall was going for the purple sniper rifle just laying there.

As soon as I got it, got sniped.

Fucking perfect bait.....

Alienous

???

Yes in the lobby, it's loading the first seconds and drops because of that but in-game it's rock solid 30fps for me, so rock solid that I sometimes think it feels like 60.

Unlocked 30 means a base framerate of 30 but it sometimes goes above that.

The reason why it sometimes feels like 60 is probably because it sometimes is 60.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I played a few games this morning.
It actually runs smoothly on my microsoft surface unlike PUBG =)

Unlocked 30 means a base framerate of 30 but it sometimes goes above that.

The reason why it sometimes feels like 60 is probably because it sometimes is 60.

Mhhhhh, but at least it never drops under 30 for me and normally I feel immediately when the frame rate fluctuates...

Let's see if Digital Foundry takes a look.

They are there. Its just they randomly appear in some games or areas of the map.

But weren't they announced as real drops like in PUBG and you can even shoot the Ballons to get it down faster?

Top Bottom