• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Jimmy Kimmel Advised Parents To Turn Off TV Mid-Play; Kids Go Ballistic.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
jimmy kimmel is a total douche nozzle but that is funny as hell.

if my kid hit me or swore at me i'd have them grounded and toss their console out the window.

Speaking of which, how did Epic games go from the badass and bloody Gears of War series to literally a game for kids?
money.

Last edited:

PrimeTime

It’s hard to say whether these were acted out to get on Jimmy Kimmel. At any rate, I’m certain these games induce irrational/violent behavior whether through the games themselves or the online interaction with other players. Parents really need to keep a close eye on their children and how much their on.

Why can't they do both?

Because they're not doing both, Fortnite is their first game since Gears 3 is it not?

Supposedly they were working on a new Unreal Tournament but that never materialized, with the absurd success of Fortnite, Fortnite will probably be all they do for the rest of their history.

Let's face it, "Epic" is Epic in name only now without Cliffy B.

xviper

yet another reason to hate Fortnite

i have never hated a game because of it's community, Fortnite has by far the most childish and cancerous community for a game

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
yet another reason to hate Fortnite

i have never hated a game because of it's community, Fortnite has by far the most childish and cancerous community for a game

Have you played Call of Duty? I'm a fan, but there's a reason I keep to party chat. I've heard MOBAs are even worse, though.

Hey kids!! memba when adults parents used to be like fuck vidya games!!

Well now I am too because I'm a soulless husk that will do anything for money!!

xviper

Have you played Call of Duty? I'm a fan, but there's a reason I keep to party chat. I've heard MOBAs are even worse, though.
COD community was mixed, but Fortnite's community is mostly kids, and cringy ones

besides, COD deserved to dominate an entire generation, there was nothing like it in the market at the time, Fortnite plays like shit, the only good thing about it is the constant and amazing support from the devs

VAL0R

Banned
My wife could walk up to the tv, shut it off and tell them it was time to clean their room and they would clean. My children would never even think about hitting, yelling or swearing at mom. She's MOM. It's called discipline people. Spanking done with love, care and consistency absolutely 100% works.

Edit: I think my two oldest teenage boys would be so shocked and offended if one of their younger siblings (beyond toddler age) dared to hit mom, they'd grab them and rebuke them without her lifting a finger. They have been taught from infancy to honor their mother and father, as God commanded and is their lifelong Christian duty.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how many parents tried this out and didn't get the reaction they wanted for the camera. If these selected few are the worst of the bunch then I think we're okay.

JCK75

My wife could walk up to the tv, shut it off and tell them it was time to clean their room and they would clean. My children would never even think about hitting, yelling or swearing at mom. She's MOM. It's called discipline people. Spanking done with love, care and consistency absolutely 100% works.

Edit: I think my two oldest teenage boys would be so shocked and offended if one of their younger siblings (beyond toddler age) dared to hit mom, they'd grab them and rebuke them without her lifting a finger. They have been taught from infancy to honor their mother and father, as God commanded and is their lifelong Christian duty.

I'm not totally opposed to spanking but I really try to avoid it at all costs, instead I've explained to my child the legal process in which his mother and I chose his name and then informed him that until he's 18 if he pisses us off enough we can have it legally changed to Poopbreath McStinkles at any time and there is nothing he can do about it... and so far it seems to work.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
All those PS4 kids with thier controllers on full brightness backs. RIP thier controller battery life.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
that a parent would film their child and then send that to a TV show so that it would broadcast it and embarass them in front of millions of people

these are some fucked up parents imo

autoduelist

So basically they interrupt there kids unannounced and shut shit down like they did something wrong which they didn't. Then are suprised they get a backslash for there shit.

Maybe next time the kids should steal the car keys so they can't get to there job / whatever "important thing" they got to visit and then say you did it on purpose because you are gassing our future on this planet. Also time for one parent to stop working and actually spend some quality time with us kids. Oh wait you like your big house / luxurious life to much.

Lets see how mom and dad reacts.

The fact they do this, is exactly why those kids go so berserk on them. Its called failed parenting.

Wtf? First off, I agree turning the tv off without warning is bullshit.

But the rest of your post is some serious bullshit too.

1. Turning off my tv is not the same as my child stealing my car keys. Sure, one is rude and uncalled for... But it is my tv. The other is pure theft.

2. Yes, a job is an "important thing" despite you trying to imply it isn't by putting quotes in. And yes, what I ask my children to do is more important than them playing fortnight. Don't get me wrong, I think it's crazy that the average house in the US has 2.8 tv's. but that's in large part because many things that were once considered expensive luxury items are now commonplace, even in low income homes. Thanks technology. Thanks capitalism.

3. Steal the keys because the parents are gassing the future? Yeah, no. Parents working to get their kids through this world are building the future. Kids fucking around on fortnight are not saving anyone by stealing car keys. Maybe the parents should quit their jobs and start protesting? Or maybe they are being responsible and putting food on the table, and don't have time to scream in people's faces because they have a job and, you know, kids.

4. Yeah. I wish only one parent had to work too. But I also understand that when you effectively double the workforce, wages go down. Imagine that. Maybe it would also help if we stopped trying to ship every kid to expensive colleges to get worthless degrees and started advocating trade schools as much as we advocate degrees.

5. Big house? Yeah, they must be evil right? So evil that their kid is playing fortnight on a large screen tv instead of going outside and playing. Or maybe those parents busted their asses so they'd be in a responsible position to have children. And one should quit? Which One? What if neither want to? Don't get me wrong, I agree it's better if only one parent works. But I do not assume that is a possibility in every situation. Responsible parents are trying to build a platform for their children to excel and succeed. Hard work and dedication pay off, and yes some parents cannot balance that well with having children. But that does not make success evil in and of itself.

----

Again, I agree just turning off a tv is bad parenting, without context. If the parent already warned them? Maybe it isn't. But the while these temper tantrums may be the result of overworked and/or absent parenting, they may also jut be the machinations of entitled brats fed too much crap tv and not enough discipline. If a parent has reached the point where their only choice is to turn off the tv, then turn off the tv.

But your ridiculous post is even worse. 'Yeah, fuck those parents putting food on the table, go steal their car keys and end global warming.' Talk about a failed education.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So much blaming and shaming the kids. Parents ought to know that whether your kid plays 10min/day and talks like Ned Flander's boys, or plays 5hrs/day and swears like a sailor it is 100% ON YOU AS A PARENT. So many bad parents using video games and TV to babysit their kids instead of spending loving time with them.

On a side note, I read a study that said the average adult in the US spends 5hrs/day watching TV, and of the time they have their cell phones in their hand 4hrs. Jimmy Kimmel should do a bit where kids smack the cell phones out of their neglectful parent's hand everytime they pick it up without a call or text. That would be 80 times/day according to studies.

Last edited:
that a parent would film their child and then send that to a TV show so that it would broadcast it and embarass them in front of millions of people

these are some fucked up parents imo

To be fair, I was a kid in the 70's/80's and my parents would charge into the bathroom and take pictures of us taking a shit, then show everyone those. It wasn't just my parents, I've seen countless photo albums of friends and extended family that include the "embarrassed kid on the pot" shot. I chock that up to the times, as small battery operated portable cameras were still fairly new, and since parents just like embarrassing their kids, the ability to catch them in embarrassing moments opened up all sorts of new avenues of weird parental humor.

I'm not sure I'd deliberately do something that would just make my kid sad or upset for no reason though, certainly not for a laugh. It just seems mean-spirited.

Jimmy Kimmel should do a bit where kids smack the cell phones out of their neglectful parents hand everytime they pick it up without a call or text.

Kimmel should do a bit where he isn't on TV anymore and I stop seeing him in my recommended YouTube videos every day.

Arkage

Banned
Did know GAF had such a rage boner for Kimmel, major triggering seems to be going on. I think he's alright. And the vid was kind of funny. If a kid screams at the top of his lungs or assaults you when you pull the plug on a videogame you're not parenting right. Granted it seems a lot of the vids were probably taken by a older brother/sister in which case the fighting is warranted :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Did know GAF had such a rage boner for Kimmel, major triggering seems to be going on. I think he's alright. And the vid was kind of funny. If a kid screams at the top of his lungs or assaults you when you pull the plug on a videogame you're not parenting right. Granted it seems a lot of the vids were probably taken by a older brother/sister in which case the fighting is warranted :p

Why is it when something is against one's personal feeling, politics, or the like, it is "GAF" as a whole? But when it is just your opinion, it is just yours?

On a side note...

Can we knock this blanketed shit off as a community, and not be lazy or passive aggressive and quote those one seems triggered by, and address the individual?

Last edited:

Petrae

Maybe next time the kids should steal the car keys so they can't get to there job / whatever "important thing" they got to visit and then say you did it on purpose because you are gassing our future on this planet. Also time for one parent to stop working and actually spend some quality time with us kids. Oh wait you like your big house / luxurious life to much.

Lets see how mom and dad reacts.

Let’s see... Kids “misplace” car keys. Parent can’t get to work.

Parent has to waste a paid day off at best and loses a day’s pay at worst, depending on how much time off is accrued. That wasted day off can come back to bite the parent down the road, if the kids are sick or is otherwise needed. Meanwhile, parent’s co-workers are adversely affected by the parent’s absence and parent has a day’s worth of work to catch up on.

Turning off a kid’s video game and preventing a parent from getting to work are two completely different things. The consequences of the former are nil in real-world terms, despite what kids may think. The latter inarguably has real-world consequences, up to and including potential termination if the parent had just recently started the job.

As for the assertion that parents should not work and spend more time with their kids instead, it’s simply no longer feasible in modern-day society unless EVERYONE— kids included— make significant sacrifices. That means no cell phones for the kids, video games and consoles become pipe dreams, slow (if any) Internet speeds, hand-me-down or thrift store clothes, and more. Even then, making ends meet for a family with one income would be exceptionally challenging. Also... there are plenty of kids in single-parent scenarios, which means that the single parent generally HAS to work in some capacity. Government assistance isn’t enough to afford luxuries like Fortnite.

I’ll agree that the nature of Kimmel’s stunt here is in bad taste. Asking parents to be asshats to their kids for the sake of getting on a TV show is fucking stupid, and says as much about the parents as it does the asshole-ish kids.

When it comes to trying to get kids off of their video games or other screen time, though? The struggle is painfully real, and kids do get angry and/or violent when being asked to turn the electronics off. I see this first-hand every day in my line of work. As cool as technology is, it’s also become a hindrance.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Kids should have slapped some moms around for messing with their equipment tho.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Why is it when something is against one's personal feeling, politics, or the like, it is "GAF" as a whole? But when it is just your opinion, it is just yours?

On a side note...

Can we knock this blanketed shit off as a community, and not be lazy or passive aggressive and quote those one seems triggered by, and address the individual?

Because addressing specific individuals would be unnecessarily petty and confrontation in what is a low investment pop culture thread.

I also didn't mention politics so not sure what you're talking about.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because addressing specific individuals would be unnecessarily petty and confrontation in what is a low investment pop culture thread.

I also didn't mention politics so not sure what you're talking about.

I was just using "politics" as another example that gets the "broad brush" treatment on forums where people will speak as an individual themselves, but broad brush their perception and take the agency away from other individuals they do not align with.

It is basically "hive mind" speak.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Kimmel should do a bit where he isn't on TV anymore and I stop seeing him in my recommended YouTube videos every day.
200w.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You can tell the nerdy black kid is the only one disciplined properly. The others all need a mom slap.

scydrex

The black kid is the only one who behave properly. My father gave us a NES for christmas. I had like 5 or 6 back then.
If my parents did that to us we would have acted like the black kid... hell if me or my brothers acted like those kids yelling, etc. no NES for a week and grounded....

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

Left click the three little dots next to the video > Not interested > Tell us why > I don't like the video > I'm not interested in this channel.

Arkage

Banned
I was just using "politics" as another example that gets the "broad brush" treatment on forums where people will speak as an individual themselves, but broad brush their perception and take the agency away from other individuals they do not align with.

It is basically "hive mind" speak.

Taking away agency? Now you sound like a liberal ;D

Roni

Gold Member
Man, failed parenting or not these kids are going WAY too nuts. Looks like these parents did this right after a huge fight or something.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Taking away agency? Now you sound like a liberal ;D

Liberals have a number of great, commonly used, philosophical concepts that they think about and discuss. The only unfortunate thing is how many don't give their ideological opponents the same consideration that they themselves ask for. "Arguing in bad faith" is the main one that sticks out for me, but agency is also an interesting concept.

Belmonte

Funny, but adults can be very pissed too when the TV is turned off!

A brazilian TV show went to a bar, in Argentina, in the middle of the World Cup with an universal TV remote control to turn off the TV everytime the argentinian soccer team was about to score a goal!

Kids should respect the parent. But parents should also be teaching the kid how to be respectful. Turning off the TV without warning like that is not showing respect.

If you commonly play jokes on your kids and they understand you're being playful, in that case it may be fine.

This is stupid. Of course people will freak when you just shut their shit off for no reason.

Now if the parents did the same thing but instead of just shutting the tv off they politely asked them to get off and the kids had the same reaction, that would be concerning.

Makariel

"go cook" was a great comeback, the few that got violent need to get stricter parents. That said, I find it in general a shitty move to post a video of your child freaking out on national TV, would never do that to my kids.

Top Bottom