• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite on PlayStation doesn't have cross-platform play with other consoles because they are worse, explains Sony boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I already tried to tell people that in the xbox thread, but of course they all got mad, and started insulting me, then think I insulted them by calling someone a xbox fanboy LOL.

They were legit closing those threads on RE when people made them about Fortnite (F2P games) having a paywall. They wanted to keep the focus on the cross-play narrative for some reason (traffic flow ;)). Amusing the say the least.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Seems like this place is slowly turning back into the console wars battlefield it was before the reboot. Disappointing, but I guess I'm out.

hecatomb

Banned
Got to love how I got a waring about important behavior for calling someone a xbox fan, like wtf people here are calling people Sony fans, when are they going to get a waring about important behavior?

Last edited:

lukilladog

Yoshida is giving only accident, ad-hoc, and self righteousness fallacies... it´s lame that some people believe this stuff.

Toe-Knee

They were legit closing those threads on RE when people made them about Fortnite (F2P games) having a paywall. They wanted to keep the focus on the cross-play narrative for some reason (traffic flow ;)). Amusing the say the least.
Maybe someone should go start one about the fact that you need gold to play the battlefield v beta but don't need plus.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Hilarious - Xbox 1X on XBL is an inferior experience to PS4 on PSN with your account locked to PSN? Ah, yeah, don't think so.

A.Romero

Disgusting stance. He sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I don't understand the point of discussing this. It's wrong, it's stupid and backwards. Some people don't understand what this is about but there is no point in trying to convince them...

They are free to do what they want with their platform but locking accounts to their ecosystem is bullshit and we have the right to call them out on it.

Toe-Knee

Disgusting stance. He sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I don't understand the point of discussing this. It's wrong, it's stupid and backwards. Some people don't understand what this is about but there is no point in trying to convince them...

They are free to do what they want with their platform but locking accounts to their ecosystem is bullshit and we have the right to call them out on it.
I don't actually think the account locking is 100% on sony.

I think it partially is but it's also epics way of keeping the PlayStation exclusive stuff only on PlayStation

Sony knows that PlayStation is number one. If having no cross play make one xbox fortnite player get a ps4 to play with friends then it's worth it, and THEY HAVE that data.

They know what's best for them and that isn't always gonna be what people want.

NahaNago

Sony knows that PlayStation is number one. If having no cross play make one xbox fortnite player get a ps4 to play with friends then it's worth it, and THEY HAVE that data.

They know what's best for them and that isn't always gonna be what people want.

pretty much this. This is what is best for Sony and not the consumer. I'm not sure why anyone would be shocked about them not wanting to do crossplay and they should stop giving silly excuses and simply say we are not doing crossplay between the competitor's consoles. Either way Sony is going to get flak for whatever reason they give for not doing crossplay. The best chance folks have is next gen but if they have crossplay between the ps5 and ps4 then they have less to worry about for at least 2 years.

Petrae

Hubris is one hell of a drug and I think Sony is addicted to it.

This is true of any generational leader. Arrogance, hubris, whatever you want to call it. Nintendo struggled with N64 and WiiU after SNES and Wii did well. Microsoft dropped the ball with XBO out of the gate and have been trying to repair the damage since after a decent success with the 360. Sony felt it with PS3 after successive hits with the PlayStation and PS2.

It will be interesting to see how the next generation goes, with Sony’s hubris versus Microsoft’s attempts to regain its footing with consumers and with the Nintendo wild card always lurking. That said, Sony’s return to arrogance should surprise nobody— and it’s been evident long before this cross-play bullshit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems like this place is slowly turning back into the console wars battlefield it was before the reboot. Disappointing, but I guess I'm out.

Honestly, I can deal with fanboy wars. Its people getting bent out of shape over their favourite toys, utter bobbins in short and harmless as a bag of kittens. When the same level of discourse is applied to serious real-world issues, that's when I get uneasy.

As to the topic at hand, its a non-issue. The business reasons why Sony are standing their ground are obvious to anyone with two brain-cells to rub together.

mad597

Banned
Yep same tired arguments defending Sony's honor from brain washed Sony fans like I pointed out in page 1. So predictable

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
This move is so incredibly dumb and defies logic.
Yup. And what's funny, Sony fanboys dont see the big picture here. Even if you dont care for crossplay, you still dont want your brand to look anti consumer, holding back the industry or not able to play nice with the competition. It stains your brand and makes people take notice of you in a negative light. May seem like a small thing now, but the bigger crossplay gets, the worse Sony looks, until the entire industry decides to move forward without them.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Greenberg also said Xbox has more hardcore gamers.

Let's be honest, their goal is not to do it "for the players" the want part of Sony's install base. If MS and Nintendo REALLY wanted to do things for the players, then they would put their exclusives\console exclusive games on other platforms.
Bruh......WTF?!

ITT - MS & Nintendo have to give up all their exclusive games to Sony and Sony gets to keep all their exclusives + no crossplay. Because REASONS!

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Greenberg also said Xbox has more hardcore gamers.

Let's be honest, their goal is not to do it "for the players" the want part of Sony's install base. If MS and Nintendo REALLY wanted to do things for the players, then they would put their exclusives\console exclusive games on other platforms.

What games? Aren’t you one of the guys who says that MS has no exclusives to begin with?

Rule of thumb - anything Greenberg says is to be taken with a pinch of salt. The guy is a pure marketing shill and has nothing of interest to gamers. Pay more attention to Microsoft's actions which have been very good lately. The Initiative is hiring!

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
For the record as to be the best place to play .. lets look at how it looks

https://gearnuke.com/fortnite-ps4-pro-vs-xbox-one-x-comparison-60-fps/

Fortnite is an amazing looking game on the Xbox One X whether you are playing it on 30 FPS or 60 FPS mode. Both hold up really well against the disappointing PS4 Pro version, which seems to be locked to native 1080p and can drop to even lower than that during the dynamic resolution when utilizing the 60 FPS mode.

Lets look at the network connectivity, speed and reliability.

https://compass-ssl.xbox.com/assets...df?n=XboxLivevsPlayStationWhitePaper_2017.pdf

Lets look at cost.. you can play on PSN for free ( or ios or pc) but not on xbox.

Sony may not have the best place to play but it does have the equally cheapest!

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Hilarious - Xbox 1X on XBL is an inferior experience to PS4 on PSN with your account locked to PSN? Ah, yeah, don't think so.
Ya but some reason they don't care if street fighter 5 has cross play, and still does

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Yup. And what's funny, Sony fanboys dont see the big picture here. Even if you dont care for crossplay, you still dont want your brand to look anti consumer, holding back the industry or not able to play nice with the competition. It stains your brand and makes people take notice of you in a negative light. May seem like a small thing now, but the bigger crossplay gets, the worse Sony looks, until the entire industry decides to move forward without them.

This has to be satire.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What games? Aren’t you one of the guys who says that MS has no exclusives to begin with?
No.

Why doesn't MS add their games on Steam? They're still reluctant to add all their games on steam, right? Will that be better for the players?

joe_zazen

No.

Why doesn't MS add their games on Steam? They're still reluctant to add all their games on steam, right? Will that be better for the players?

No corporation gives a fuck about any of us except in reguards to how much money they can extract.

It is bizzarre that people pointing this out get called fanboys. Wtf is wrong with some people?

hecatomb

Banned

No corporation gives a fuck about any of us except in reguards to how much money they can extract.

It is bizzarre that people pointing this out get called fanboys. Wtf is wrong with some people?
It that was true Street fighter 5 wouldn't have cross-play, but it does.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Serious question to the complainers: Why would you expect people to change their position of utter indifference to this when absolutely nothing has changed since the last time this topic came up?

I mean c'mon... this specific topic is about a company boss saying his brand is the best which is what EVERY corporate mouthpiece ALWAYS says, when was the last time you heard anyone talking down their offering compared to their competitors ? :D

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No.

Would that not be "Play Anywhere" then?

If people want to use the "For The Players" slogan as a snide shitpost...

Clearly it is not "Play Anywhere"... amirite?

This is how ridiculous these comments are. "pie_tears_joy:

This has to be satire.

Especially when "anti-consumer" gets tossed around when one still has a F2P paywall, hell, they now have a Beta paywall too (BFV).

Again, ridiculous usage of wordplay.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Because it is good for capcom and costs sony nothing. It was a business decision made by hyper competitive mbas and accountants.
Agreed, but sorta destroys the whole theory that Sony doesn't want it when they actually have the most cross play games.

Does Sony think we've forgotten about the 2011 PSN debacle where thousands of PS3 users had credit card information stolen and the entire online service was shut down for a month by hackers or about the 2014 hack by North Korea where many high profile employees and actors that worked for Sony Pictures had their information stolen and exposed? Sony shouldn't be throwing rocks when they live in a brittle glass house full of cracks.

Last edited:
i don't play Fortnite at all, and don't plan to either. But hearing THIS from Sony? I'm disgusted... and I'm a Sony fanboy. Jesus, that's just not cool.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
WHATTTT, oh hell no!!!! Microsoft are NOT in the position to be doing sht like this. They want more Xbox players? This isn't helping.

It seems they want to PR other platforms for their player-base, while they nickel and dime that incentive on their own platform. There is always a catch.

Spencer, Ybarra, and Greenberg respond real quick like to cross-play Tweets with "yeah, we wish too [sad face]", but they maintain radio silence when people ask about the F2P/Beta paywalls. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:
It seems they want to PR other platforms for their player-base, while they nickel and dime that incentive on their own platform. There is always a catch.

Spencer, Ybarra, and Greenberg respond real quick like to cross-play Tweets with "yeah, we wish too [sad face]", but they maintain radio silence when people ask about the F2P/Beta paywalls. :pie_thinking:

yeahhhh thats a good point you made there. makes total sense. there's always a catch

EDMIX

This.

This is also the same company that didn't even think it was a wise idea to invest in new AAA IP this gen, so 5 years later they like "oh so we need games to win? hmmmmmmm maybe we should buy studios bro?"

Maybe they should have did that BEFORE this gen started.

If they really cared about their base, beat Sony where Sony beats you... MAKE LOTS OF NEW AAA SERIES.

Trashing Sony isn't going to magically make folks care about the nothingness that happening on XONE right now...

klosos

Hmm don't know seems like the only people mad about it are people who like Microsoft, or fortnite fanboys. Though I hope fortnite dies out completely, its one of the most boring games to watch ever. Just watching people open boxes and hide for 10 mins, then just die in 1 hit, so much fun.

let me be more specific about why this annoys me mate, I am not annoyed that people with different consoles aren't allowed to play massive online games like Fortnite or Battlefield together, I am annoyed about the smaller online games like Killing floor 2 that have a small dedicated fanbase , now if PS4 and Xbox players are allowed to play together in a game like Killing Floor 2 that larger community will flourish which will also bring longevity to the game. which is only good for the consumer.

also I agree with what you said about Fortnite, I'll go one step further I hope the Battle Royale genre slows down all together, But you know this industry the moment the exec's at this publishers see the chance to make money they all try to jump on the bandwagon

This.

This is also the same company that didn't even think it was a wise idea to invest in new AAA IP this gen, so 5 years later they like "oh so we need games to win? hmmmmmmm maybe we should buy studios bro?"

Maybe they should have did that BEFORE this gen started.

If they really cared about their base, beat Sony where Sony beats you... MAKE LOTS OF NEW AAA SERIES.

Trashing Sony isn't going to magically make folks care about the nothingness that happening on XONE right now...

Yup. My xbox one has been collecting dust for 4 years. I've only played two games on it: Gears 4 and Ori. That's it. Not even a halo. Cuphead i have for PC. What did it lack? First party games, man. Even if they do many a comeback, I rather see the Xbox 4 (or Xbox Quattro as i like to call it lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom