• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite x Dragon Ball Crossover Event teased for August 16

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
As the worlds biggest Fortnite fan/defender, I feel compelled to say a few things...

1. This season was the lowest effort season I've ever seen Epic do. They're really just toggling on/off past season items and weapons to keep things fresh.

2. These collabs were a bad idea from a gameplay perspective. Shoehorning in mechanics from non game IP in order to $$$ took creativity away from game designers to build mechanics from the ground up to fit the game.

3. Fortnite is still the best, most important game to release in the last 25 years. No cap.

Gambit2483

As the worlds biggest Fortnite fan/defender, I feel compelled to say a few things...

1. This season was the lowest effort season I've ever seen Epic do. They're really just toggling on/off past season items and weapons to keep things fresh.

2. These collabs were a bad idea from a gameplay perspective. Shoehorning in mechanics from non game IP in order to $$$ took creativity away from game designers to build mechanics from the ground up to fit the game.

3. Fortnite is still the best, most important game to release in the last 25 years. No cap.

Sorry I'm calling cap on that last point. Just because something is a huge trend among one particular generation that has managed to take advantage and capitalize off of them to the nth degree does not make it the single greatest game to gaming in 25 years.

you pretty much lost all credibility by starting off your post with your self proclamation as being its biggest shill.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sorry I'm calling cap on that last point. Just because something is a huge trend among one particular generation that has managed to take advantage and capitalize off of them to the nth degree does not make it the single greatest game to gaming in 25 years.

you pretty much lost all credibility by starting off your post with your self proclamation as being its biggest shill.

This is all cap.

I no cap.

ManaByte

No other game has those types of player numbers, not even close.

Gambit2483

No other game has those types of player numbers, not even close.

And? Most players are only still playing at this point because of the crossovers and live events. Player count does not make a game "the greatest" unless you're talking about greatest trend or greatest monetization vehicle.

Take away the constant IP crossovers and we would see how "great" the game is. It has done very little as far as actual advancements or achievements in gaming except make a bunch of other guys really rich.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's the only game running on Unreal 5 right now.
Not only that, but regardless of where you are on the fence, Epic has done some extremely impressive things with Fortnite online. The concerts, the events, etc. They've created interactive experiences at a level that no other dev has, yet. The COD Kong vs Godzilla event was a neat attempt, but compared to what Fortnite has done in that theme, it looked so lazy and weak.

I mean, it's THEIR engine, so they SHOULD have the ability to do some wild stuff with it. I won't say that Fortnite is the most incredible game ever made, etc. But it definitely made an obvious mark. It's clear that they're gonna ride this train as much as they possibly can until it just can't go anymore, and that's what we're seeing now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It has done very little as far as actual advancements or achievements in gaming except make a bunch of other guys really rich.

It single handedly united the five Kingdoms when it comes to crossplay.

It single handedly killed the arena shooter genre, which had been well past its sell by date for ~15+ years. Teaching console gamers that gameplay loops can be longer than 25 seconds is a God send for hardcore gamers everywhere.

It single handedly forced PlayStation to become a multiplayer oriented company due to it's insane metrics.

It became the standard bearer for how F2P GAAS should be done. Remember loot boxes, lol?

It acted as the most impactful weapon against the archaic $60/$70 business model the industry had ever seen.

It added many layers of much needed gameplay complexity and depth to mainstream gaming that will rise all boats moving forward.

It's peers are really only titles like Minecraft, Mario 64, and Doom at this point.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It single handedly killed the arena shooter genre, which had been well past its sell by date for ~15+ years. Teaching console gamers that gameplay loops can be longer than 25 seconds is a God send for hardcore gamers everywhere.

It's peers are really only titles like Minecraft, Mario 64, and Doom at this point.
giphy.gif

Isa

I just pray to the gods that they manage to implement some decent cell shading this time. Epic is amongst the absolute worst when it comes to creating appealing anime/manga art in Fortnite. The models lack any shadows and definition sadly, coming off like some ultra-bright neon cartoon flashlight that looks off when placed next to any "regular" character. Its so prevalent that I wonder if its something in their engine that prevents decent cell-shaded designs at this point.

I agree with Men-in-Boxes first two points. Unlike the other seasons I've not felt compelled to play through the season, at all really. The weapon selection is just bad, very limited. Its like sometimes the season starts off well, then they shoot themselves in the foot with goofy traversal physics that throws the whole game balance off. I wish Fortnite was more consistent, as it makes me wish I was playing something simple and predictable like PUBG, since I know that when new items are added it fits with the established rules, whereas Fortnite is a jumbled mess throwing everything it can at the wall to see what sticks. And sadly it does affect some people as my friends list across PS, Xbox and Switch doesn't play it due in large part to this.

Not trying to be a debbie downer, hopefully next season is better and the DBZ stuff is good quality.

Star-Lord

My wallet is going to hate me, but I'm curious who the unannounced character is. I want it to be one of the Androids personally, or even Cell or Buu, but that's wishful thinking on my part.

Top Bottom