• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forum Rumor] Durango Beta has 2 APUs. Console and Controller plastered with stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krilekk

Banned
It's not a meme just because a lot of people believe it and you don't...

I want BC. A lot.

But I'm not out of touch with reality. It's not a significant factor for sales.

It's significant as in "I sure as hell won't buy 720 if I won't have access to my library of 35 on demand games, 117 XBLA games and 132 Indie games". Of which I still have to play one third. I want my library on my next Xbox period. If they don't give it to me I take my money elsewhere, most likely build a nice gaming PC and return there after a decade of console only gaming.

saw that earlier. I think it's xbox 360, because why would she just put xbox and not "next gen console" or something like that.

the word "migration" is also a stickler.

Maybe she doesn't want to reveal what she actually did the work for. She can easily change it after the console gets revealed. BC personally doesn't really matter to me, but it would most certainly be nice. It might be especially important headed into this gen because of all these new games that are still planned for release on the 360 towards the end of the generation. If by chance some of them won't see release on next gen machines, and I'm sure that's a strong possibility for some of them, then it's especially convenient if the new xbox just so happens to have full support for those games. I don't see a console as a no buy for not having BC, but having BC is an extremely important added value to any new console. It was an extremely important part of the early success of the PS2.

mocoworm

I think that people don't seem to understand that this time round BC is definitely important because of digital dloads this gen.

In previous consoles it wasn't actually important. It was a nice gesture. Physical media can be sold, bought, traded and ultimately you could just keep your old console under your TV.

In 2013 we have user accounts which we sign into and we have masses of digital content tied to that account.

This completely changes the importance of BC. To keep your investment safe, you need to be able to take those with you. Hardware doesn't last forever and isn't manufactured forever. If in years to come your old 360 / PS3 dies then you aren't going to replace it, or may not be able to... and all your digital investment on that console is lost.

This is the 1st transition where BC actually DOES matter.

For a new system, you consider lots of stuff in the beginning. But that presentation is even before they decided to go with AMD and X86 CPU for fuck sakes (not to mention so out of date that even getting DDR4 as RAM was possibility).

If Durango has Xenon inside for BC, it would have leaked already. Instead what was leaked was that BC is entirely GONE.

So don't fucking turn your wishful thinking into another shitty rumor. jesustittyfuckingchrist, April 29th can't come soon enough....

damn dude, you are going to have a heart attack.

woosah.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
low power chip sounds ok for background tasks - doesn't the PS4 have an ARM chip for that? would even a low power APU be low enough power for EU regs?

it'd be even better news if it had enough power to handle kinect processing and OS, leaving the main APU free for game tasks.

It's significant as in "I sure as hell won't buy 720 if I won't have access to my library of 35 on demand games, 117 XBLA games and 132 Indie games". Of which I still have to play one third. I want my library on my next Xbox period. If they don't give it to me I take my money elsewhere, most likely build a nice gaming PC and return there after a decade of console only gaming.

Absolutely agree. This next generation will probably see me return to PC as my primary gaming platform.

Not including some form of BC at launch is quite literally the final straw for me.

Maybe next xbox is called just '' xbox '' :p

Rumors did say that it would be just called XBOX.

I think that people don't seem to understand that this time round BC is definitely important because of digital dloads this gen.

In previous consoles it wasn't actually important. It was a nice gesture. Physical media can be sold, bought, traded and ultimately you could just keep your old console under your TV.

In 2013 we have user accounts which we sign into and we have masses of digital content tied to that account.

This completely changes the importance of BC. To keep your investment safe, you need to be able to take those with you. Hardware doesn't last forever and isn't manufactured forever. If in years to come your old 360 / PS3 dies then you aren't going to replace it, or may not be able to... and all your digital investment on that console is lost.

Im with this but i do hope they can increase rendering resolution and fps like 1080p for 360 games.
But im not sure if the 360 dev could use 4 or 5 threads. If it was 4 threads it would mean they only need to 2 cores to slim down and ducktape it to Durango apu or whatever setup it has.

El_Chino

For a new system, you consider lots of stuff in the beginning. But that presentation is even before they decided to go with AMD and X86 CPU for fuck sakes (not to mention so out of date that even getting DDR4 as RAM was possibility).

If Durango has Xenon inside for BC, it would have leaked already. Instead what was leaked was that BC is entirely GONE.

So don't fucking turn your wishful thinking into another shitty rumor. jesustittyfuckingchrist, April 29th can't come soon enough....

I've never seen such hostility at the fact there MIGHT be some BC in the next Xbox. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

mila-relax.gif

flattie

Consoles always have a slow burn start for the first 1-2 years. It's not just about being able to migrate your existing purchased content across, but also providing a library of potentially new content for early adopters.

I for one don't own a 360 and therefore have nothing to carry across. However, if MS tells me that all of the content currently available on XBL will be there from day 1 available to purchase on Durango, then all of a sudden my interest levels spike greatly.

As it stands my money is headed for Sony land again without question. If MS do what Sony can't with respect to migration of content, then my own choice becomes much more difficult to make.

I didn't consider the digital downloads over xbox live. That makes it even more important. I most certainly wouldn't mind being able to have access to my entire XBLA library on the new Xbox. You are right, this does change the importance of BC. I won't sweat it if it doesn't have it and just continue to use my 360 if I ever decide I want to play those old games, but it would most definitely be awesome if the new xbox had full BC.

Corto

It matters, some people choose believe it doesn't because they don't see the long term benefit of having BC, nor do they consider the damage not having BC will do the digital services of both Sony and MS.

Essentially, digital service viability will likely be decimated when the non firm going populace realise their games don't carry over with their accounts.

Games like Minecraft Castle Crashers, Flower, etc. People will want to continue playing these games into the next generation and with the next console not allowing you to download content you've purchased on the same brand of console - well...

You could argue that Apple set an unrealistic standard in making sure content worked across all their devices, but it's one that people have come to accept as the norm.

I agree with the value of BC, but don't use Apple as an example. They will ditch past users in a heartbeat without hesitation when technologically/economically advantageous for them.

Oh god, now you assholes have gone to BC via 360 as SOC inside Durango?

NO. FUCKING NO.

MS is not stupid enough go through all the trouble of making a super efficient APU set up and ruin all that work last minute by adding another fucking chip on the mobo that isn't essential to the core operations of the box.

BC by hardware is out. Gone. Deal.

LOL! Calm down dear :)

Perhaps you should consider that:

A) they have a huge XBL base and being able to migrate your existing content will be a huge early win. They will do everything they can to migrate people rather than have subscriptions lapse.

B) they know Sony doesn't have it so they might consider it a box worth ticking

C) who's to say BC has to 'ruin' the rest of the chipset - it could be like Wii U.

ekim

Happy 38th Birthday Microsoft! To mark the occasion, an Xbox event announcement would be appreciated.

El_Chino

Now that I think about it, could this rumor match up with one of the first early rumors about the next-xbox? The whole "two PCs duct taped together".

Apu #1: Very limited cutdown low power, accessible only to system OS and used for dashboard / media / always on. Not usable by devs.

Apu #2: Game APU accesssible to devs plus OS.

Same setup has been used in macbook pros for years. Very standard these days, would be of limited note worthiness if in durango. Is purely about reducing noise/power/heat when in media hub use.
APU#1 also supports Trustzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom